Windows XP - crashing ( not sound related )

+
2Developer:
The following processors are out of range: AMD Duron Series, AMD Athlon XP 2400+ through 3200+, AMD Sempron 2400+ through 2800+, and the INTEL Celeron Series
Any way to resolve issue with [Unsupported CPU] in new patch 1.4.1?When I have patch 1.2 The Wicher is work properly.

IvanoffAlex said:
2Developer:
The following processors are out of range: AMD Duron Series, AMD Athlon XP 2400+ through 3200+, AMD Sempron 2400+ through 2800+, and the INTEL Celeron Series
Any way to resolve issue with [Unsupported CPU] in new patch 1.4.1?When I have patch 1.2 The Wicher is work properly.
nope, they're unsopported since launch

Ok, I am seeing a whole lot of fixes for the EAX sound issue in this forum, even though it is in the title that this is "Windows XP crashing -NOT SOUND RELATED". When I install the game and try to boot it up, it won't start, and this problem has absolutely nothing to do with the EAX problem. So will you people stop posting those fixes in this forum, because it is seriously not helping. Also, a lot of people have tried other things, such as suggesting something about the 3.0 .net framework, but I am not having any of those problems as well. Are there any actual fixes to this problem that do not involve buying the in-box Enhanced Edition to copy files, because installing a game patch should not be this difficult.The game worked fine for me in every edition from 1.0-1.3, but now the EE patch will not allow me to boot the game up. It has nothing to do with the EAX sound problem. It has nothing to do with the .net framework. I have reinstalled this game probably 25 times, and everytime it is just a waste of time because I am having the same problem.So moderator, should I even waste my time with this further, or just write this game off completely and move on. Is anyone out there even close to fixing this problem, or do i have to spend the next month downloading and redownloading broken files that only work in Poland. Becasue that is not an option at this point, as I have used up my monthly download internet usage.

I hear ya, T2h3c...downloaded the patches several times from many differen't sites, used md5 to make sure my file sizes were correct, installed and re-installed countless times, read and read throughthe forums. For crying out loud, should it be this hard? Am I going to downloading a text editor next and learn some skill I thought I'd never have to use in my life? I know this isn't helping,but hey... why should they pay for beta testers, when we can pay them to beta test for them.Ok, I feel better now.Here's my info. I get CTD when I start the game, with the following error:AppName: witcher.exe AppVer: 1.4.5.1282 ModName: witcher.exeModVer: 1.4.5.1282 Offset: 0042432aIntel Socket 478-3.2 ghz processorATI Radeon 1950xt agp 256SB Audigy 22 gigs ramWINDOWS XP sp2

I haven't seen this error reported yet - could have overlooked it somewhere. Seems like I'm getting a non-EAX error when mine crashes, but instead of "witcher.exe" in ModName: like I've seen others report, it's "aclayers.dll." Does anyone know what this means? I'm a PC user but I confess I don't know a lot of the technical lingo.I've removed the enhanced Witcher and reinstalled it twice already and so far nothing has helped - second time around I did not install the extra story missions. I have the imported original version, which runs fine w/o the enhanced patch. Had no problems with the installation or registration either.

this is a non sound related thread as long as everyone posts here after testing the sound fix@MikeViking: do test the sound fix first: run DXDIAG -> sound -> get acceleration one notch to the left, close dxdiag, try to run the game, if it works go here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16688.msg394669#msg394669 to get the sound fix and put sound acceleration back to full, if not read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report, when you post, as instructed

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 processorI've read the "read me" and many threads, but I haven't seen my fx57 listed as not supported in the EE version. Does EE support the FX57?Thanks.

mcerion said:
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 processorI've read the "read me" and many threads, but I haven't seen my fx57 listed as not supported in the EE version. Does EE support the FX57?Thanks.
yes

I have an observation. Has anyone else seen this? The twee upgrade is listed as 906 MB, but when downloaded is actually 931 MB. The twee english pack is listed as 456 MB, but when downloaded is actually 468 MB. I have downloaded these files from several sites and they are always larger when downloaded. Now here is the real question. Is this a problem?

mcerion said:
I have an observation. Has anyone else seen this? The twee upgrade is listed as 906 MB, but when downloaded is actually 931 MB. The twee english pack is listed as 456 MB, but when downloaded is actually 468 MB. I have downloaded these files from several sites and they are always larger when downloaded. Now here is the real question. Is this a problem?
it could be a problem, look here and check the files: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.0

mcerion said:
This is most likely just due to two different methods of calculating filesize combined with weird rounding errors. Most people use a conversion rate where 1024 KB = 1 MB, but some use a rate of 1000 KB = 1 MB (mostly HD manufacturers though, as they can sell you HDs with about 250 GB space and tell you they are 300 GB). In case you're wondering, the first alternative is the correct one. If you navigate to your file in windows explorer and hover your mouse over the filename, you should see the alternate method of calculating the size, which results in a size of 909 MB. (If you right-click and choose properties and convert by hand, you'll see a third alternative, but I won't go into why that one shows up as it wasn't part of your original question. ;) )

Thanks. I'm grasping at straws now. I have tried everything that I can think of. I even contacted Atari support, knowing full well what a waste of time that would be. I was simply directed to a worthless faq.

LicaonKter said:
can you guys try to rename/move somewhere some BIK files, so that the intro movies are not played ?data/publisher.bikdata/title.bikdata/developer.bikdata/movies/engine.bikdata/movies/intro.bikjust hit ESC at start, see if the game starts
Tried this and still getting crash in witcher.exe at offset 0018273e pretty much immediately on load.

Hi2All.I had the same issue like many others in this thread. Everything went fine (download, install). Then start the game, watch the intro..."why is the cursor now black and I can see a part of the menue on the left?".......BAM => CTD. My faulty message as many others had: 003f3df4 on witcher.exeReinstalled windows, installation from cd of TheWitcher original, no prob. Try to update TWEE => "enable cookies issue". Nothing worked. To the DEVs: couldnt login though lowered everything of safety and allowed every non-safety action. But please note: login wasnt able also on the registration page you get forwarded to if you follow the launcher.exe. But on the /community patch it did work = please inform your Webpage-Administrator as this issue seems to be an issue related to these specific pages.=> to everybody with the cookie issue: go and try on a friends pc if the login works on www.thewitcher.com/registration. Then the chance is real high it also works for the registration of the TWEE installation. Install your game there, register it. If you succeed, search and export the key in the registry and import it to your own pc at home. Part one made, then TWEE notices that your game at least is registered and "cookie issue" is gone for now.After done all this, the game worked up to now for me. Did not had much time, but could play for 30 minutes without crash or so. To all who dont want to install a brand new Windows: all other games worked well until TWEE hit my PC (Drakensang, Quake ET, Vegas 2, NW 2 etc.). Used newest nVidia drivers for my SLI 7800GTX, and some old (6.x) mainbord driver.I hope this does help at least a few people install the TWEE and take a step ahead.Best regardsich_witcher

Just a few quick notes here...1) I had the error as stated by the original poster (exact same offset) AppName: witcher.exe AppVer: 1.4.5.1282 ModName: witcher.exe ModVer: 1.4.5.1282 Offset: 0018273e2) I've ultimately tracked this problem down to hardware. Most of my games work just fine on my current system. See specs... Vista x64 Q6600 at 2.98 Ghz 4 GB of DDR2 (Mushkin) 8800 GTX Ultra OC3) Some games don't work worth a crap. I've always had more crashes in the Witcher and NWN2 than I should.4) After patching The Witcher to EE, the game wouldn't start. So I ran through some hardware troubleshooting tools. Emphasis on the tool below. - Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/#downiso - burned the iso to a cd, rebooted and found I had bad memory in two seconds.... - There should be ZERO errors with memtest86+. - I overvolted my ram in some prior overclocking experiments, but various other issues could cause ram to go bad or be shipped bad. - Bad ram doesn't mean a game won't install...often times most apps just limp along and intermittent failures seem normal or a product of windows.5) I replaced my memory, ran a clean install and patched to EE straight from the install. I had the digital download version from Atari so I pulled down fresh binaries as well. Also, I completely removed all references to the witcher before installing fresh...save games, directories...etc.6) With bad memory or a corrupted install from bad memory, EE wasn't fully installing. I timed them, and the difference was marked.From what I can tell now, I have zero crashes in The Witcher or any other game after fixing my hardware error. Whoever is having this error it could be ram related...if not directly ram related, maybe heat related.Peace...

I've played The Witcher and loved it for a few months now, but the Enhanced Edition is not working. I have patches 1.2, 1.3 and correctly installed 1.4 both files, but when I run the game it goes to black screen and then gives me the windows error that the program has caused some error and must now close and asks me if I want to report the error to Microsoft. I have re-installed the entire game twice and downloaded the 1.4 patch from 2 different sources including The Witcher website and GamersHell.com. Please help with this error. Anyone know what to do?

stevenbrianp said:
Please help with this error. Anyone know what to do?
In short, no :( We're still trying to get to the bottom of this, it's a bit of a tricksy problem. Are you able to post the details of the error for us please? Specifically, we want to know what module is being reported, and what the offset value is. The answer to those questions might help us guide you to something that might help or some things you might like to try. Or it will put you smack bang in the basket with the rest of us who have the tricksiest error of all that thus far has no solution, but at least you'll know.When you receive the error, is there something you can click for more details or something? I think the details of the error are in there (sorry, I can't quite recall the format of the error and I'm at work at the moment so I can't check). Alternatively, I think it makes a note in Event Viewer:Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > ApplicationDo you see any Errors in the log? If so, double click on them to open them up and find out what's going on. If it's a Witcher related error (which you should be able to tell based on the date/time entries for a particular error) then it should mention something about The Witcher files. If you do find Witcher-related errors, please post the contents.Also, please read the following link for getting tech help on the forum and follow the instructions. Our best chance for getting this issue resolved is access to uniform information, so fingers crossed :)

I got the game to work.I uninstalled the game. Reg cleaned all entries. Updated my sound driver. Reinstalled. Installed the patch again. Now it works.It seems it was still sound related anyway. I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm guessing the sound driver did the trick. The game still crashes, but only on exit now, at least so far.

I tried to replace Witchers mss32.dll with the latest DLL from Bink site, and it still crashes at startup (but at least I see game cursor for couple of seconds).However, this thing worked: I launched the game and keeped hitting ESC to skip all .bik videos, and I successfully got to main menu. This points that maybe binkw32.dll is faulty. There is a newer version of this DLL (1.9a) but it cannot be found anywhere on the internet.I also read that some guy replaced binkw32.dll with one from some newer game, and the crashes were gone. I asked him to upload the DLL, and as soon as I get it and check if it works, I'll upload both DLLs somewhere and post link here.GOT IT WORKING!Replace DLLs in Witcher/System folder with those from this archive:> > > LINK < <

voodoo said:
I tried to replace Witchers mss32.dll with the latest DLL from Bink site, and it still crashes at startup (but at least I see game cursor for couple of seconds).However, this thing worked: I launched the game and keeped hitting ESC to skip all .bik videos, and I successfully got to main menu. This points that maybe binkw32.dll is faulty. There is a newer version of this DLL (1.9a) but it cannot be found anywhere on the internet.I also read that some guy replaced binkw32.dll with one from some newer game, and the crashes were gone. I asked him to upload the DLL, and as soon as I get it and check if it works, I'll upload both DLLs somewhere and post link here.GOT IT WORKING!Replace DLLs in Witcher/System folder with those from this archive:> > > LINK < <

Top Bottom