Winner, Steam Awards 2021

+
If it was purely based on graphics, CP77 would have won it then ;)

Probably because RE:8 released in a far better state than CP77, and all the stigma that went with the botched launch pulled CP77 down. Many people dropped the game early on, so I doubt those people would have voted favourably for it.

Tbh, I did not vote for CP77 either :/

Neither did I, and nice of you to assume that I was comparing the two...
Post automatically merged:

Lady Dimitrescu :shrug:

Fair play. :D

On a side note, I really don't understand the infatuation towards Resident Evil 8, it's got some of the clunkiest gameplay just like its predecessor and a really nonsensical story line... just like the predecessor, but I guess the graphics are nice so GOTY...
It has literally nothing to do with graphics. They aren't even that good, Cyberpunk has RE8 beat in that regard without a doubt.

But RE8 is a really fun good game, with excellent gameplay, cool monsters and bosses, an interesting mystery, a satisfying ending, and no bugs or controversies. Just excellent all around.

I enjoyed Cyberpunk, but it definitely had its issues. I would've voted Metroid Dread for game of the year though, out of the few new games I played last year.

Neither did I, and nice of you to assume that I was comparing the two...

Well it did seem a bit snarky what you said about RE:8, or at least it came across as that with the "clunkiest gameplay" and "but I guess the graphics are nice so GOTY..."

I was mealy saying that if GOTY was hinged on " the graphics are nice", then CP77 would have won with it ray tracing .. And to be fair, CP77 has some clunky elements too, such as its UI.

It has literally nothing to do with graphics. They aren't even that good, Cyberpunk has RE8 beat in that regard without a doubt.

But RE8 is a really fun good game, with excellent gameplay, cool monsters and bosses, an interesting mystery, a satisfying ending, and no bugs or controversies. Just excellent all around.

I enjoyed Cyberpunk, but it definitely had its issues. I would've voted Metroid Dread for game of the year though, out of the few new games I played last year.

Well it did seem a bit snarky what you said about RE:8, or at least it came across as that with the "clunkiest gameplay" and "but I guess the graphics are nice so GOTY..."

I'm simply genuinely surprised at how many people are gushing for it, I tried playing both of them and they just weren't for me (bare in mind I love the series but ever since they changed to Ethan I simply cannot get back into them).

I came into the new series after playing Alien Isolation, and I expected something similar, what I personally got was some very basic shooting mechanics with really loose mouse aiming and input lag, barely existing survival mechanics and gameplay surrounding them, don't even get me started on the puzzles and a lot of set pieces, all the boss encounters are following a basic design based on a linear set of scripts...

Sure I can see why people like it, it's fun under a certain mind frame and especially if you're not delving deep into survival horror genre and just tippy toeing, this is definitely a decent romp.

As a parallel to relay my thoughts clearer, I find Resident Evil 2 remake a much, much more compelling game all around and I don't recall it winning GOTY left and right or people going nuts over it either (perhaps my memory is failing me).

And like I said, the story... you can't seriously argue that it makes any sense, under any circumstances.

The fact that it was even nominated for story goes to show how poorly this year has done when it comes to heavy hitters.

On a final note, I absolutely loved Halo: Infinite but I cannot get behind it winning any awards, it just doesn't feel complete in any department, similar argument here.

Hope that clears it up, and excuse the snark it's just part of my character, love or hate.

And to be fair, CP77 has some clunky elements too, such as its UI.

Heck to the yeah it does, CDPR are masters of AAA eurojank, but I find the free form gameplay to be simply sublime, it's incredibly fun and I find myself doing similar moves as I was in the new Doom games, wish there was a grapple hook, it's amazing in Halo as well.

Last edited:
I'm simply genuinely surprised at how many people are gushing for it, I tried playing both of them and they just weren't for me (bare in mind I love the series but ever since they changed to Ethan I simply cannot get back into them).

I came into the new series after playing Alien Isolation, and I expected something similar, what I personally got was some very basic shooting mechanics with really loose mouse aiming and input lag, barely existing survival mechanics and gameplay surrounding them, don't even get me started on the puzzles and a lot of set pieces, all the boss encounters are following a basic design based on a linear set of scripts...

Sure I can see why people like it, it's fun under a certain mind frame and especially if you're not delving deep into survival horror genre and just tippy toeing, this is definitely a decent romp.

As a parallel to relay my thoughts clearer, I find Resident Evil 2 remake a much, much more compelling game all around and I don't recall it winning GOTY left and right or people going nuts over it either (perhaps my memory is failing me).

And like I said, the story... you can't seriously argue that it makes any sense, under any circumstances.

The fact that it was even nominated for story goes to show how poorly this year has done when it comes to heavy hitters.

On a final note, I absolutely loved Halo: Infinite but I cannot get behind it winning any awards, it just doesn't feel complete in any department, similar argument here.

Hope that clears it up, and excuse the snark it's just part of my character, love or hate.

Heck to the yeah it does, CDPR are masters of AAA eurojank, but I find the free form gameplay to be simply sublime, it's incredibly fun and I find myself doing similar moves as I was in the new Doom games, wish there was a grapple hook, it's amazing in Halo as well.

Fair enough man.

One thing though regarding stories not making sense; that doesnt always hold a game back, just look at the Souls series. Thier sotries are banana's, but most don't play for the story, but the challenge. However, some do like the story, and there's some very long YT videos that try to explain it too.

Ultimately its a matter of "different strokes for different folks" :)

Fair enough man.

One thing though regarding stories not making sense; that doesnt always hold a game back, just look at the Souls series. Thier sotries are banana's, but most don't play for the story, but the challenge. However, some do like the story, and there's some very long YT videos that try to explain it too.

Ultimately its a matter of "different strokes for different folks" :)

I'll try not to derail this thing too much (if that's even a thing haha) but when it comes to the Souls series the story beats make sense even if the events are completely bananas.

Compare that to the new Resident Evil games, beat by beat, the story makes no bloody sense (first one how Ethan and his girlfriend are tied up into this and the whole investigatory plot it's completely nonsensical) and it gets worse with the sequel.

Like I said, it's bonkers that it got nominated for story let alone GOTY...

Didn't imply Cyberpunk deserved any of it, but I believe it at least should have been nominated for innovative art style and sound/music design, it's incredible in that respect.

I think CP77 got robbed (kinda). I've never seen as much media coverage of RE8 as I did CP77. Again, I think it's been the YouTube streamers and the loudest with bad PR that did the game the disservice. It's like Steam said, "Well, we've got to give CP77 an award for SOMETHING!" I hardly ever see any videos or news articles of people fleshing out the finer details of CP77's "STORY RICHNESS" LMFAO!!!!! There're hardly any videos about the game focused "solely" on the story elements excluding gameplay. Even a good portion of the players I know IRL don't actually care about the story as much as gameplay and tree progression.

I'll try not to derail this thing too much (if that's even a thing haha) but when it comes to the Souls series the story beats make sense even if the events are completely bananas.

Compare that to the new Resident Evil games, beat by beat, the story makes no bloody sense (first one how Ethan and his girlfriend are tied up into this and the whole investigatory plot it's completely nonsensical) and it gets worse with the sequel.

Like I said, it's bonkers that it got nominated for story let alone GOTY...

Didn't imply Cyberpunk deserved any of it, but I believe it at least should have been nominated for innovative art style and sound/music design, it's incredible in that respect.

No no I get what you're saying. Souls in its own fruity way has a story you can follow, if you can find it.

So if Souls story is banana's, I guess Resident Evil games is a complete fruit salad? Too much fruit now :LOL:

And yes, I agree that the Resident Evil games are bonkers, but I think that's the appeal for some people too.

As for the Steam GOTY, I think a lot of people saw CP77 and actively voted against it, and I guess a lot chose RE. But then again, RE did have a smoother launch, and there wasn't the controversy like CP77. I think a lot worked against CP77.

Yeah, I voted for CP77 for sound/music due to the effort that went into it, and its all original and not just 2020 songs shoved into the year 2077.

I think CP77 got robbed (kinda). I've never seen as much media coverage of RE8 as I did CP77. Again, I think it's been the YouTube streamers and the loudest with bad PR that did the game the disservice. It's like Steam said, "Well, we've got to give CP77 an award for SOMETHING!" I hardly ever see any videos or news articles of people fleshing out the finer details of CP77's "STORY RICHNESS" LMFAO!!!!! There're hardly any videos about the game focused "solely" on the story elements excluding gameplay. Even a good portion of the players I know IRL don't actually care about the story as much as gameplay and tree progression.
There are quite a few really good ones to be fair, just not very popular.

I recommend you the review thread.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...077-reviews-links-discussion.11040101/page-14

Honestly, I don't think that the story is that good. The game starts out strong for the first 6-8 hours. but after The Heist it starts to come apart at the seams. Especially the trope of "the protagonist must hurry or die" simply does not work in an open world game where I can spend weeks or months of game time just exploring the city doing side quets or simply driving rallyes across the desert.

And the longer you play the more the illusion is falling apart and more and more plot holes start accumulating, while the storyline forces V to trust people that a smart merc would avoid. And I don't even want to start ranting about the endings, cause I did enough of that in the first 4 weeks post release in the Story section.

Top Bottom