Winning Rounds

+
Winning Rounds

I haven’t played gwent. I know we need to win 2 rounds of 3.
I think it is best to win the first 2 rounds. I might be wrong.
Since many here played gwent, I wish to know, how you all went with winning the rounds?
Let the first round go? And focus on last 2? Or 1 and 3 etc?
Is there a faction specific strategy with rounds etc? Say monsters should focus try to win the game with the first 2 rounds etc?
Do share your thoughts and hopefully devs who are balancing may also share their play/round styles. :)

In general it is good to win the first round, because it makes the opponent unable to pass in the second round.

Certain faction abilities work well with losing a round, and I'd say more often then not it'll be beneficial to lose the second round if you have won the first.
For instance Northern Realms draw a card when they lose a round, Skellige passive ability only gets activated in the third round, Monsters will get the most value if their ability is used throughout all three rounds and Socia'tael can force their opponent to start two or three times (depending on who won the coin-flip) in a match and thus drain their resources that way.

That being said, there are particular instances when you might want to deviate from the basic strategy of winning round one and losing round two. For instance you could play one big minion as Monsters round one and chose to pass after that. Or you might try to fight for a win round one and two denying Skellige their faction ability, etc.

Last edited:
Generally speaking I would prefer for a game to like this.

1) - Win the 1st Round,
- Stall the opponent / Make them waste cards on the 2nd Round
- Win the 3rd Round.

I'd never really try to Win Round 1 and Round 2 unless the opportunity presented itself.
Skellige can be Denied their Deck Ability if you got for it. Play Round 2 by ear if you win the first.

Obviously that's not always possible. (Depending on how your distribute you Hand between at least 2 Rounds)

If you Lose the first, then I think I'd like to place small things down with the potential of Inspiring them.

I think it'd be pretty rare to just outright win the first two rounds since your opponent might have some extra cards than you (given that they lost the first round) and would likely put up more of a fight. :)

It'll really depend as you get to playing what you figure out your preference/style is, and it will depend on what your opponent does. If you feel like you can't win a round, just pass - doesn't matter too much if it's the first or second, just make sure you're managing your cards wisely.

For me, I've been using a Skellige deck, which focuses on a lot of graveyard play so it's just important to make it to the third round.

I usually try to win rounds 1 and 3. Try to make the opponent use some of their good cards in round 2 but it depends on what the opponent is doing.

Glad to have all your inputs.

So I guess winning rounds 1 and 3 seems like a solid strategy. But playing just enough cards is vital! :) And also playing to our faction's strength. :)
Still, winning the first round does give an edge assuming we didn't exhaust ourselves. ;)

Top Bottom