Witcher 1 Crash after saving

+
Hello,
so i have the game on GOG, and everytime a try to save in game via quick save or manual, it crashes with no information i just land on the desktop.
Running on Windows 10.

I tried a couple of things i found what ppl said on other sites what could help but non of it help,
one thing was to give the game and save file folder permission for everyone, than changing the compatibility settings to other windows version and also running as admin but did nothing.
also uncheck the cloud save option, but did also nothing

Than i tried telling my avast antivirus that it should make exeptions for the game, cause thats also someone said that might be the problem that the antivirus can block it to right on the pc, but did nothing,
also tried to fresh install it and still cant get it to work.

so has some here any other tip i could try?

Best regards.

Last edited:
Did you try to run the game in compatibility mode?

Verifying the game cache is another thing you could try:

Setting save file folder permission to everyone is usually a good idea, yes. Maybe doing the same for the main game folder can help too.

Did saving the game ever work? If yes, it’s also possible that you have too many save games and need to remove a few of them...

Hello,
yes tried compatibility mode, did nothing,
Verifying was also something that i found i could try but also nothing,
did gave both folder permission.

The last time i played the game was 2016 were it worked fine but i also had a diffrent/weaker PC back then,
and now were i wanted to revisit it, it didnt work ever from the start on, i even cleard all save files i had and than did a fresh install again but it wont work.

In what folder did you install the game? Did you use the standard folder or did you install it somewhere else. In some cases the location of the game on your harddrive can cause problems too.

is the Game folder what is insinde of the GoG Galaxy Folder the standard folder? if so then i guess i could try to install it somewhere else.
Post automatically merged:

Ok tried to install it in a self made folder but sadly didnt help

Last edited:
yes i did the steam version of it and i checked Verify integrity of game cache, but did not work, still crashes.

Please confirm the following as well:

1.) Game installed to the root of the drive or a folder of your own creation on the root.

2.) Microsoft Redistributeables installed / repaired -- please ensure you have followed all steps on this page.

Particularly important to ensure that Visual Studio / Visual C++ packs are uninstalled first, then all versions [x86 and x64 of each] are installed again in order from oldest to newest. So:
  • begin with Visual Studio 2003 [x86 then x64])
  • Visual C++ 2003 [x86 then x64]
  • Visual Studio 2004 [x86 then x64]
  • Visual C++ 2004 [x86 then x64]
  • etc., etc., etc.
Also ensure you are going all the way up to the most recently released. This is super-important for legacy games, and equally important that you install all the way back up to current for modern games.

(^ I harp on this one because it's extremely likely that this is the root of the issue.)

3.) Ensure the game has been added to the exclusions list of an anti-virus / firewall software you may be running. If using Windows 10, be sure the ...\Documents\The Witcher\... folder has its Permissions set to "Everyone".

4.) Find the witcher.exe file and right click ---> Properties ---> Compatibility ---> Run as administrator.
If the game will not launch after all of the above, then also in the Compatibility settings, try the following options as well:
Compatibility mode: Windows 7, then Windows XP (SP2)
Disable visual themes
Disable desktop composition
Disable DPI scaling for high resolutions

Let us know how that goes!

sorry for the late reply, life has been keeping me busy, but i can conferm step one, step 2 never had installed Visual Studio / Visual C++ and no idea were to look for th eGPU drives and game is stet to update automaticly. step three not sure if i did permeitons right and cant find the witcher.exe file in any of my withcher files

Top Bottom