Witcher 1 in RedKit

+
Greetings @Nemomallo, I'd really like to provide you with some feedback and to implement a small storyline. Thing is, I can get back to work with the REDkit and TW2 only in about two weeks. Secondly, creating a quest might take me a bit, since I'm only a beginner.
If this doesn't bother you - I would be very happy to contribute to this project and we sure can talk already about ideas and how to execute them!

Godspeed, Culorin

Hi,
I haven't uploaded anything lately, so I've decided for a small update.
I'm currently working on some quest related scenes in order to prepare ~1h of gameplay on my mod.
In a meanwhile, while polishing the map, I've changed the chapel model to the one provided by @Nemomallo.
Beside that, I've modelled low-poly version of easter-egg Mauser rifle and placed it on the chapel tower just as it was mentioned by @Benzenzimmern :)
Hope You all like it.
I will try to upload new material asap.
Until then, have a nice day a stay safe!

Nice, take your time. don't feel pressured. It is is better to have updates from time to time than you loosing the joy in modding and abandoning this project.
Have you any plans of adding maybe also some unique new content even if it just a random Easter Egg line form an npc or your name in a document? And how are you apaoching the missing monsters and enemies Slamandra/ Ghouls/ Barghest/Archespore which are part fo the first Level? I once said it would be better to use ghosts than nekers. So how will you tackle the problem? The lines of the npc are the same But maybe you could find a way around that problem with adding one or two new lines like: Thought it was some kind of Archespore but it turned out that it was only a pair of nekkers or that the nekkers killed the archespore and now dwell in their habitat or just deny access to aceratin area adn don't include thos quests?

Have you ever looked into the files if it is possible to not give Geralt all the abilities he has? Like quen or Axii since he does not learn those before a later act? Even if it would not match the Ui and the normal gameplay t would be true to the original what could be nice:D

Nice, take your time. don't feel pressured. It is is better to have updates from time to time than you loosing the joy in modding and abandoning this project.
Have you any plans of adding maybe also some unique new content even if it just a random Easter Egg line form an npc or your name in a document? And how are you apaoching the missing monsters and enemies Slamandra/ Ghouls/ Barghest/Archespore which are part fo the first Level? I once said it would be better to use ghosts than nekers. So how will you tackle the problem? The lines of the npc are the same But maybe you could find a way around that problem with adding one or two new lines like: Thought it was some kind of Archespore but it turned out that it was only a pair of nekkers or that the nekkers killed the archespore and now dwell in their habitat or just deny access to aceratin area adn don't include thos quests?

Have you ever looked into the files if it is possible to not give Geralt all the abilities he has? Like quen or Axii since he does not learn those before a later act? Even if it would not match the Ui and the normal gameplay t would be true to the original what could be nice:D
Currently, I'm not adding any new, unique content beside adding more decoration than it was present in the Witcher 1.
Due to technical limitation at the time of W1 premiere, most of interiors doesn't contain too much furniture etc. Simillar thing affects forrests and other bushes. There are more of that kind of decoration on my mod.
However, I'm thinking about adding some simple changes at later point.
For example, another passage through the middle of the map. To be specific, from Abigail's house to area where Haren keeps his trade goods.
It was one of biggest issues on that map that the player had to constantly run circles around the whole map.
There are a lot of travelers around the map all the map and I thought about adding the option to talk to them and pay some gold to fast travel to the tavern or the town. However, this would probably break the structure of some quests like "She's No Early Bird" so I decided to scratch that for now.

Regarding the monsters and other enemies, I'm already changing the Nekkers to Wraiths.
Ghouls are replaced with Rotfiends. In my opinion, they don't even need anything to add since In my opinion Rotfiend resembles what most of fantasy books describes as ghoul more than the one present in the Witcher 1.
Additionally, Mikul talks about them as "Deadens" (Or "Martwiejce" in polish. Martwy = Dead).
Salamandra will be portraited as mercenaries from W2. I'm planning to add some decals on the textures to make their affiliation more visible by salamandra and chaos symbols on their armors and heads.
merc.jpg

Regarding Archespores:
I don't know if it's even possible, but if it is - creating new monsters would take too much time.
Importing modeles, rigging, animating, creating behavior trees etc...
Learning how to do it and preparing everything would take months probably.
And since they are present for only ~10-20 sec. in whole level, I don't think that it's worth the time.
During the dialogue with Odo, he mentions that the flowers in his garden are alive.
He don't know what it is exactly and as far as I remember, Geralt only mentions that he took care of the trouble.
Since few of Arachas appearances use flower-like parts on they heads, I will use those for this quest.
Tw2_journal_arachas.png

Lastly, regarding Witcher Signs, I also thought about removing some of them.
It's possible most likely, since W2 used replacers for some quests (like when we controll Roche or Henselt) and they couldn't use any signs.
Maybe it's possible to only restrict to specific ones and I will try to do that but for now, I'm trying to finish the quests and scenes.
The gameplay tweaks are on lower priority for now :)

Nice to hear your thougts about this topic. It seams you spent a good amount of time thinking about those problems and I really like your solutions! Especially the Rotfiends they never crossed my mind.
I don't know how good you are in texture edditing for the mercenaries and to make other textures as wll less vanilla but it would be nice if you had somebody to help you in that regard ( even if you are good because than it is less work for you :D).

The only thing I would advise you if you add another passage( which is a very good idea), that you keep optimization and streaming areas in mind. so mabye make a path that is not straight but a curved path that you can hide some objects/meshes to get better Performance if needed.

Yes and regarding the signs it was only an idea the quest is more important as you said it :D

Hello there! There's something I wanted to ask you about hoping you could help me.
1. How exactly do you create the Lipsync, I can't figure this out on my own :(
2. I'm trying to add the music into the game, however it seems like I need some specific version of FMOD designer? I've tried to use one of the newest but It just doesn't work, which version do you use?

Hi,
1. When You're creating dialogues, You need to have 2 fodlers in "The Witcher 2 > data > user_speech > (your lang. foder. in my case it's: ) pl.
First folder is audio, the second is lipsync.
Just copy any lipsync file from original game, paste it to lipsync folder and name it the same way as your voice file and lipsync should work for that line after attaching the voice file to the dialogue.
2. For my previous clips, I added music while making the clip in hitfilm studio. To add it directly to the game, You need specific ver. of Fmod. I didnt tried that yet so I can't say anything more about it.

Hi, I just wanted to share my moders ressource the wyzima castle world it is now available on Nexusmods for download.
If you have some patience than you can download it with a new version of my Witcher 3 Mesh Package for the Redkit that I plan to update ( hope soon but maximal 2 weeks)

Greetings Nemo

Last edited:
Hi,
I don't have much free time now and what I have, I try to spend on my mod.
However, I will try to check Your work in near future :)
I guess that I will be able to upload ~1h of gameplay in about 2 weeks from now.
Most of the things that I need for that are already prepared.
I need to make music work on my mod, since now it won't play for some reason, and I need to fix the retrospection movie after Salamandra confrontation on the bridge.
I've managed to convert it to correct format, it plays in game (only after cooking the game) but ~1/3 of a screen is cut on the right side.
If I fix this movie and level music, I guess that I will tweak a bit the environment colors and I will be ready to record demo.

Hello! Thank you for your help with lipsync :) It worked perfectly. I hope your project is also going well. Still, Unfortunetly I don't know if it's possible to get the specific fmod designer version for redkit :(

Hey,
everyone I could need a little bit of help I've almost finished the castle and could provide it. Before providing the modding resources to everyone I would like to get feedback. Here is the link to the cooked castle world (without any gameplay!)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c2kxmfdg1jtqout/AADshRnf9TzvW1J-phb4VoSba?dl=0
View attachment 11060192

Credits @HalkHoganPL for using following textures and meshes: bear_fur, bear_fur_n, bear_fur_m; grain, grain n; grain scattered;
halkhoganpl_ksiazka01-04 and halkhoganpl_zwoj01a-b
the meshes scroll_stack and bock stack

Please try it out and give some feedback eg. what is good, can be improved or rather bad. Advices are appreciated!
Know issues ( I was too lazy to fix them after cooking the world for the maybe the 30th time after searching and finding the problem that caused crashes):
- The terrain has dark and brigth stripes (caused by terain size adjustments)
- some candle holders have no collision
- I tried to get rid of most holes in walls ( but some are left), if you see some it would be nice to tell.
- The spiral stair is not fully walkable, Yennefers, Change room and the new room are not decorated

Would anyone have interest in making a very short story ? Was thinking about the outro of Witcher 1. You fight the assassin and get some small dialog between characters?

Greetings Nemo
Hello Nemo.

I don't know if you are still looking but I would be interested!
I'm not extremely good with the tool, but I will be more than glad to help and improve, if you don't mind my inexperience

Hello
@WildistheStorm
Thanks for your interest more info in a private message (pm).
I just wanted to react here to show that I am interested/ react to posts like this, but in general I prefer a pm if somebody wants to contact me, because it is Goospos therad and don't want to hijack it.
@Goospo
Nice work! Is this mimimap as big as the world is or are there also areas just for the background in your world?
Greetings
Nemo

Last edited:
Hi,
At last, I managed to prepare longer clip presenting my mod's gameplay.
There are still few bugs in it and I see new ones every time I prepare fixes and record 1h clip.
However, I decided that I need to say stop and record it as it is.
Otherwise, I would fix that without end.
As I mentioned before, everything beside the music has been done inside RedKit.
I tried to reproduce environment lighting and color balance to the one from the first Witcher, but because of that, sometimes it feels too dark.
Regarding music... All music was added in post-production along with sound track change and volume change...
The clip is only in Polish language but I hope that it won't be big issue :)
Working even on one language made working on this long enough.
I hope that beside these small issues, You would like it.
Having said that, I invite you to watch and comment.

PS. Sometimes the compression makes watching annoying, especially while moving the camera… If it's too bad to watch, I will try to reupload.

Hello again @Goospo
Besides small possible improvements ( polishing and design choices) and at least a english texted version of it :D I see no flawes except some aspects of the world building in terms of assets and size. Great work cannot describe it enough :D! Will look at the video a second time and take notes and write them down for you.

Edit:
Please don't take the critique as too harsh it's mostly about design choices and thoughts. I have no intention to overcritisize your amazing work into oblivion :D
My thoughts chronologically on the video:

- the inn meshes you used for the outside usa a old version of a shader, ( wait for me finihsing the new inn :D or) use the detailmat shader
- more space needed for figthing in the crypt

nitpicking ( about design choices)
- good decision to use the less performance heavy grass model, you could also paint different densities of that model high density for near view and low for farer away
- not completly sure about a mysterious merchant attire of Kalkstein, could be a alittle bit more colourfull, but the hat and glases could fit
- some of the white myrtle bushes are growing vertically without some other plant to suupport the vertical growth, ( problem with the base mesh of white myrtle in Witcher 2
- the attire of the royal huntsman could be a variation of the temerian knight ( has a nice helm remindig me of he royal huntsman look in witcher 1,
Roches guard with slight retexture could be also used for a ligth version of salamandra bandits
- if 13's head will be used it should not show the 13, it's a unique head so it could be used for a more important bandit
- would rather use another hair or at least another hair colour for Abigail, best could be a retexture of a non poor woman attire
- is the priest attire red? I have slight problems with red and brown and green sorry, looking more like w3 priests could be nice. Red is a must for his cloths,
he could use a different head from the guards with a beard ( also texturable to make the beard grey)
- I could provide allready imported meshes for the graves ( human style not elvish) instead of using the wooden coffins
- maybe remove one tree/bush at zoltans ambush to give more space for fighting
- the ship scale is a little bit off, looks small
- Haren could use the kosak attire but I think the current one is fine because you use the skinny pirate, who vears a vest
- Mikul could/ should wear a sword
- nice retexturing and using of the old bridge form witcher 1
- crypt looks nice but could offer more space in the fighting areas, especially next to the coffins. Remove two in the front or integrate the grave stone into the floor like in old churches
new igni place of power circle could also use sound for it's particle effect, besides that it looks great
- transitions between the crypt and the main level is great like in witcher 1 triggered by walking inot it out of it :D
- Salamandra bandits could use a salamander sign on their armours (nasty retexture work needed for that:()
- soldiers looked pretty similar, did you use different appearances or is it the problem of too less variation of the appearnces
- Not entirely sure about the mage, but a armoured warrior mage can be cool :D
- good work with the consequences video, could maybe use the cuscene zoom in onto geralt (eye) and then back again
- maybe it could be possible to fake a more fluent transition between the normal ground and the bridge using custom decal textures ( that must created first)
- I think the chaperon hat would fit better for Odo
- one arachas could be enough, where is the dead dog? Nekkers could work too
- is it possible to show Odo in a drunk state isn't he drunk before we talk to him the first time?
- drowners rather should spawn in the water not on land
- would be nicer if they roam around the containers and don't just spawn when the player comes around

Last edited:
Hi every one=)
Goospo, I think you are amazing!
Thank you for this project.

Maybe you'll need inspiration for Temple Quarter of the Vizima:
Also, maybe you can join forces and create a game that we all deserve =)

@gieronimo27
Thanks for the kind words to him. The project is only about the outskirts level of Wyzima. It won't inculde anything else.

I think if you can do some 3D modelling you could also contribute to the project. The video shows that you don't need to be an expert to create low poly meshes.
Greetings Nemo

Hi every one=)
Goospo, I think you are amazing!
Thank you for this project.

Maybe you'll need inspiration for Temple Quarter of the Vizima:
Also, maybe you can join forces and create a game that we all deserve =)
Thanks for kind words.
I saw that clip, looks really cool.
However, I'm doing only Vizima Outskirts part.
It would probably take another 5 years to build Temple Quarter to the advancement point I have on current project.

I haven't been very active in years so I somehow failed to notice this before. I have to say I am very impressed! I have been wishing for something like this for ages. (I actually tried doing it myself, but I am not great with REDkit and I am terrible at terrain generation.)

Are you still working on this project? Is there anything we can do to help?

Top Bottom