Witcher 2 along with 1 shutdown my PC for some reason

+
Witcher 2 along with 1 shutdown my PC for some reason

I'm running an i5 4460, 8 GB RAM and a GTX 1070. Windows 7

I am sure that the issue is not my rig, since well, I can run games like GTA 5 and BF4, etcetra on max without this happening. This does not happen in W3

The games shutdown my PC during cutscenes, dialogues - in W2 it happens instantly once I click the left mouse button to fire the ballista in the prologue (or w/e). In W1 it happened during the first cutscene after choosing how to play the game (keyboard/mouse), not instantly but I think during the part where you see Geralt running in the fog. If I skipped that cutscene, then it happened during a dialogue with Leo after drinking the potion and entering the castle (I think it was a castle.. or was it?).

So I uninstalled 'TAGES Protection' (doubt it had anything to do with this though) and I could get past the ballista part, but shortly after when you're fighting the soldiers at the stairs when trying to get to Foltest, the game shutdown. :<

System logs show this:
"Unexpected failure. Error code: 490@01010004" by 'VDS Basic Provider' twice in a row, then it says 'Service has been stopped' by Virtual Disk Service, then 'Service Virtual drive (disk?) has been launched', then it's stopped again and the system shuts down.

Edit: I do not have any programs that create virtual drives, such as UltraISO or Daemon tools or whatever..

So I think Witcher 1 and 2 use vds.exe? I checked in services.msc, and the Virtual Drive/Disk thing is set to manual startup, and I'm definietly not starting it myself, so it must be the game? Is there a workaround?

Any clues? Google searches result in nothing..

Last edited:
Top Bottom