witcher 2 combat mechanics need major improvement

+
Flash said:
I like how people have genre gauges that measure RPG percentage in games. I'd like to have one too. I wonder whether Fallout 2 is an 100% RPG or not. It has turn-based combat after all. Maybe it's a turn based tactical game like X-COM series or Jagged Alliance. But, on second thought, I don't really care.
You do care which is why you're participating in the discussion. And I don't need a gauge to tell me Chess is more involved than Checkers. Sorry if I sound rude, but I don't see the argument as purely relative.Edit: Read your take on ME2 CyberFrog. I agree.

fchopin said:
I am a bit touchy when it comes to ME2 as i expected better after ME1.
Fair enough. ME2 certainly didn't do everything right. I am however one of those who were fortunate enough not to be disappointed.If you really want my honest opinion about ME1, ME2 and my hopes for ME3 (with regards to shooter/RPG systems):http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/5561862/5#5566240Also, while I really don't think this should matter, here you have it: I love The Witcher, I love ME2, I really like ME1 and I really like DAO. And should I mention that none of these were my first RPG? I also don't enjoy long walks on the beach. At all.

Mass Effect never was a pure RPG and I'm not sure if it was ever intended to be. The leveling system in ME1 was nothing special. They tried to mask it with bunch of stats that in the long run don't really change all that much.For example: Later on in the game you get only 2 talent points per level. You invest them both in let's say assault rifles. This increases your assault rifle accuracy with 0.4%...... yay?And the inventory system turns into a huge hassle later on in the game when you start getting too much loot from enemies, most of it which you don't need and you end going through long lists of items just to see if there's really anything worthwhile... turning the game into some sort of menu simulator.So obviously they decided to streamline it with Mass Effect 2... maybe a little too much but at least they didn't try to pretend like it's some sort of deep complex RPG with loads of items and stats. And in my opinion that was for the better.If you want to make a pure, deep RPG you also have to make sure that it's fun.

NevermoreV said:
Soon there will be Elderscrolls 5, more competition to Witcher 2. :p
I'm really hoping that if they do release an Elder Scrolls 5 that they do a better job than they did with Oblivion. I've played close to 100 RPG games and Oblivion I'd say was in the top 10 disappointment list. I'm not sure if it's because they ran out of time due to developing it for multiple platforms or what but there were so many things they did horribly in that game. I won't list them since it has nothing to do with the main topic but I still cringe when I think about Oblivion :p However, competition is a good thing. It keeps developers on their toes, making sure they produce something to a high enough standard to be profitable. Now that CDPR has raised the bar it will be interesting to see who steps up and attempts to compete at their level. As things currently stand I don't see anyone dethroning CDPR in the near future ;)

freakie1one said:
freakie1one said:
I'm really hoping that if they do release an Elder Scrolls 5 that they do a better job than they did with Oblivion. I've played close to 100 RPG games and Oblivion I'd say was in the top 10 disappointment list. I'm not sure if it's because they ran out of time due to developing it for multiple platforms or what but there were so many things they did horribly in that game. I won't list them since it has nothing to do with the main topic but I still cringe when I think about Oblivion :p However, competition is a good thing. It keeps developers on their toes, making sure they produce something to a high enough standard to be profitable. Now that CDPR has raised the bar it will be interesting to see who steps up and attempts to compete at their level. As things currently stand I don't see anyone dethroning CDPR in the near future ;)
I agree with you but it`s not if but when 11/2011

freakie1one said:
Unless it turns into a Duke Nukem Forever game. Over a decade in the making!
How true ! . But i will definitely wait until the game comes out where i can see some screenshots and gameplay before i even think about buying it those freaking gates about did me in on TESBut back on topic Petra opened a thread on a new demo about W2 combat . If i read it correctly it`s going to be a little more complicated than TW1

They've made combat inspired from Batman Arkham Asylum, and that was pretty fantastic in itself... It was farm more fun doing combos than Devil may cry and felt more realistic and easy.

The combat they've changed now is inspired from Batman AA, and it was pretty fantastic.. Doing combos was fun, better than Devil may cry types, and the combat seemed more realistic..Though it wasn't easy in any way, it was suitably tough... I think it was somewhat perfect, would be great in Witcher.

Dezired said:
The combat in Arkham Asylum wasn't only fun, it *looked* good which I think is very important.
I must agree. The combat looks vastly improved over the first Witcher. They give us more control and less automated combat, which makes for more diversity instead of just doing the same combo sequence every time you attack. If the OP was saying that the Witcher 2 needs improvement over the first game then I think he'll be pleasantly surprised. Watch any of the combat videos released and you can see this for yourself.

NevermoreV said:
Yes, big competition and lets not forget the new Deus Ex also.I have a feeling that the stakes will be raised for 2011 and there will be lots of competition. CDPR will have to make something very special to be ahead of the other game companies.

fchopin said:
fchopin said:
Yes, big competition and lets not forget the new Deus Ex also.I have a feeling that the stakes will be raised for 2011 and there will be lots of competition. CDPR will have to make something very special to be ahead of the other game companies.
The reason I am confident in CDPR is look how well the first Witcher turned out when they were limited on what they could do because of using the Aurora engine. Not to mention the fact that it was their first attempt at creating a game. Now they have more experience (after creating The Witcher) and on top of that they've created their own game engine, which gives them the exact tools they need to make the game they want instead of trying to work around the Aurora engine (which limited them in many ways). Those two things combined should equal a vastly improved second game, which is impressive since the first game was already better than most.

What CD red did with their very first game is nothing short of amazing. It's truly more inspired and more ambitious than most games I've ever played. It's scary how good TW2 may be.

Well lets not compare it with games we have no info about at all yet, and we all know that elder scrolls is comparatively too dumped down nowadays with crappy combat system which they haven't improved in ages.Dues ex is entirely different thing.. Its almost a sure masterpiece by the looks of it and knowing about the previous games...But the current combat in TW2 looks fantastic... Slashes feel realistic, blood's also better now[it was raining blood in TW1 :p]...

Top Bottom