Witcher 2 - Constructive criticism thread

+
Witcher 2 - Constructive criticism thread

Hello witcher fans!

This is a thread where everyone can post the things that he wants to see in the Witcher 2 game so that we can help CDPR add them with a future patch {hopefully}.

CAUTION: This thread is NOT about mods, changing the game mechanics completely or asking for ridiculous things. Do not write things that cannot be fixed or are impossible to implement without wrecking the game universe and/or mechanics. {making Geralt cast Lightning Bolts or adding pickpocketing to the game for example. Use your logic and do not post impossible things please. Let's keep this thread as useful as possible without having to filter out uninformative posts.}

Moreover, avoid commenting in a rude manner and do NOT post negative comments without posting a solution. This thread is about CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, not trolling.

Thank you. Let's see now how mature and helpful this community can be...

I am not sure entirely what category my request would fall under...and I don't want to pollute your thread in the least bit, but having played only Act 1 so far and seeing that my character has only progressed till level 12-13 thereabouts...and you only get 1 talent PER level gain, I am going to assume that by the time the game ends, the character will be at mid thirties in terms of level, which means he can only use so many abilities or have enhanced his attributes only so much. I read the cap is 35 or something like that. I would like the cap to be raised and also would like more opportunities to fight more monsters. Does not seem like there are that many opportunities so far. Once again I am not sure what this suggestion will fall under or if this cannot be fixed or what not...just my 2 cents.

More to do in Act 3, it felt rushed.

Also in regard to DLC I'd love to see them actually release "The Bard: Saviors Of Queens" which was a spoof quest for Dandelion. It looked like great fun and could possibly explain the reference to
burning down the watch tower, which was why he was going to be hung.

RageGT

Forum veteran
Expansion expanding the game and Act 3! I want MOAR! =)

And a real fix for the control responsiveness problem which affects many areas of the gameplay like sword fighting, blocking, casting signs, sheathing or switching weapons... it is annoying even if we can find ways to deal with it.

I want better combat, Geralt's movements are very bad and keyboard key reactions are not good.
This needs fixing asap.

Also camera positioning for rolling should be selected from mouse positioning and not from the W,S,D,A keys. It's impossible to do a quick roll using the keyboard keys as there is not enough time during combat. If mouse positioning is used all you have to do is press space bar to roll in the correct direction.

Just this for now so we have some control using keyboard and mouse.

I have few suggestion, which would make game (at least for me) a lot of better:

1.) I´d like to see possibility combine weak mutagens through alchemy into stronger ones.
2.) More slots for mutagens (for all purposes in whole prolog and chapter one you have ONLY two).
3.) I also hope see return of alchemy properties like rubedo, nigredo and albedo, along with some left out potions from first witcher back into two.
4.) I also would VERY VERY like to be able play through quest Heart of Melitele, because despite helping mercenaries, and meeting young one at the end of prolog, I did NOT received Heart of Melitele, so I am unable to begin same named quest in chapter one. I have already reported this bug twice, without any result from CDP RED.
5.) I would be also very grateful if you return to dice of Witcher one (with pips, playing for two victories and NO FLYING out of board - that last makes dices almost unplayable)

RobinWH said:
I have few suggestion, which would make game (at least for me) a lot of better:

1.) I´d like to see possibility combine weak mutagens through alchemy into stronger ones.
2.) More slots for mutagens (for all purposes in whole prolog and chapter one you have ONLY two).
3.) I also hope see return of alchemy properties like rubedo, nigredo and albedo, along with some left out potions from first witcher back into two.
4.) I also would VERY VERY like to be able play through quest Heart of Melitele, because despite helping mercenaries, and meeting young one at the end of prolog, I did NOT received Heart of Melitele, so I am unable to begin same named quest in chapter one. I have already reported this bug twice, without any result from CDP RED.
5.) I would be also very grateful if you return to dice of Witcher one (with pips, playing for two victories and NO FLYING out of board - that last makes dices almost unplayable)

4. There is not a bug in the quest; that may be why you have not received a reply that is satisfactory to you. There is, however, a mistake in the official game guide.
Newboy will not give you the amulet at the dock. You must get it when you first meet him, or loot it from his corpse at the dock.

guynwah said:
4. There is not a bug in the quest; that may be why you have not received a reply that is satisfactory to you. There is, however, a mistake in the official game guide.
Newboy will not give you the amulet at the dock. You must get it when you first meet him, or loot it from his corpse at the dock.

How It cannot be bug, when even at cutscene before docks, he tells me, that he´s giving it to me now?

Braag

Forum veteran
I hate it when I buy the same book twice because I can't remember if I've read it before or not. In TW1 we could check which books we've read so we wouldn't waste money on the same book twice. Why on earth did they remove that in TW2?

Two things are incredibly frustrating to me and really spoil the otherwise fantastic immersion.

1. Invisible boundaries. I judge all games like this after "Gothic," which to me was the forerunner and still the greatest action RPG ever created. There were no invisible walls in that game, at least not throughout the game world itself. If you went to the edge of the world, perhaps, but you never came to a small hill that a dwarf could climb and were then forced to take some long scenic route instead. This is just ridiculous for a game like this in this day and age.

2. STEALING FROM EVERYONE WITH NO CONSEQUENCES!!!!!!!
I can't BELIEVE this wasn't fixed from Witcher 1. I thought it would be. Again, totally ruins the immersion level when I can just walk into any house, anywhere, anytime and rob everyone openly without a word being said. I mean, you unsheathe your sword, and the guards are all over you in an instant. Steal from every chest in sight, they don't give a crap.

Really, I know this might sound harsh, but this almost ruins the game for me. If you don't have time to create some system where people get pissed if you steal, then don't make chests, drawers, etc. in regular homes searchable at all. This is just a TERRIBLE design decision. Really disappointed that this was never addressed.

Btw, Gothic 1 had the PERFECT system for this. If you even went into someone's house without being invited, they were angry and would eventually attack you. That was 2001, people! How can you not add that very important element in a game that comes 10 years later??

The developers said that we would not be able to steal if there was someone watching but apparently this has disappeared from the game.

I feel the game is excellent (certainly the best game I played since TW1, probably in top 10 of my favourite games), but I also think it's not a great RPG. Quest design is brilliant, story development and writing almost perfect, but I still feel the game is too twitch based. I really missed the isometric perspective of the first game and the pause button, not to mention that geralt always hits or blocks. The game also has a huge amount of cutscenes, and coupled with the shortened dialogues, I too often felt that I was watching an interactive movie rather than role-playing.

As I've said I think it's a great game. Quest design, writing, story development and choice and consequence are excellent. And I did enjoy combat, once I got used to it. I also like the fact that you had to specialize unlike in TW1 (where you could pretty much max out all the skills).

Oh and I really hated that rolling was the only way to dodge, where are piroutte and salto gone??? I really missed those moves.

I also preferred the inventory and loot design in the original. I preferred Geralt that couldn't carry more than three swords, as well as the fact that there was less difference in quality of items/loot. I didn't like the fact that I was every few hours changin one part of my equipment (whether it be a sword or armor piece). Geralt is a witcher not a model.

A great game, that really improved on certain aspects of original, but also "dumbed down" or simplified others in order to be more appealing to mass market. But still a really, really, really great game. One that I enjoyed immensely (much more than I thought I would).

-Fix the bomb throwing bug

-Tweak the response times for Geralt, ie; lag input.

-Hotkeys for menus.

-Skip potion drinking cutscene. We don't need it.

-Grid inventory. like the first game had

-bring back alcohol and food consumption

-Bring back secondary effects of potions

Now I'm sounding like a broken record...:( I shall quit.

fchopin said:
The developers said that we would not be able to steal if there was someone watching but apparently this has disappeared from the game.

It's not stealing if they are watching. It's called 'borrowing'. :p

Forum veteran
fchopin said:
I consider it more realistic, because if a large albino-looking man with swords and daggers burst into my home and started taking things I'd be inclined to not call him out on it.

You know, because he smells like blood and death and all that jazz.

Improve the stealth system. I understand TW2 is not Thief by any means-those games were all about stealth. But I found stealth in TW2 to be a bit awkward and clunky. It would be fun to have the option to go into stealth mode(maybe by using the quick menu) when appropriate: like in the forest and you hear something thumping toward you, going into stealth could give you the option to hide and pray or strike from behind. And in mines and tunnels, using cat is great but you still have to open the creaky door and announce yourself to the room-being able to slip through the door unseen would be helpful.

Also, having a stealth option would be a good work around to the robbing houses at will problem: try it during the day and you'll probably be caught, but at night you could sneak in(hopefully avoiding those @#&* buckets).

And on the subject of sneaking around at night: you shouldn't be able to waltz into a crafter's house at 3am and demand that they make you some traps or play dice. Well you should be able to, but said crafter ought to tell you to go plough yourself. And if you come back at a reasonable time, charge you more orens 'cause you've pissed them off. Persuasion and Axii could alleviate that though.

227 said:
I consider it more realistic, because if a large albino-looking man with swords and daggers burst into my home and started taking things I'd be inclined to not call him out on it.

You know, because he smells like blood and death and all that jazz.

You consider zero reaction from people whose house you just raided more realistic than, say, panicked running or shouting or alerting the guards? That's really reaching.

Top Bottom