Witcher 2 Dark mode gear (my first run through)

+
Witcher 2 Dark mode gear (my first run through)

I've finally got enough oren saved to get the Blasphemous gear / weps, but I was thinking, at this point I am almost done with the chapter. Should I go ahead and get it or just save the oren and get the next set in chapter 2?

ok, cool, I'm not really having any trouble fighting in what im wearing (i have the blue stripes armor and my moonblade from my witcher 1 save). I was more just curious than anything.

Yeah, it's a good idea to save it because the chapter 3 items are very expensive. I wore my W1 save armour + weapons for a large portion of the game. Was waiting for +bomb damage armour xD

I don't know how much Orens you have, but I found it easy to get a lot of Orens from Chapter 2 if you choose Roche's path. In the camp you go to, there's a guy you can arm wrestle for 100 Orens everytime you beat him.

im sitting at 5.2k right now, and i have yet to do any of my contracts (doing those last so that everytime i have to run past them in the forest to do another quest i can farm them for xp / loot). I havent done the incense quest yet either as i know once i do the merchant will shut down the shop. Any advice on which diagrams to buy would be awsome (not just from this merchant but from all of any of them, him, the blacksmith, the antiquary, the fabric guy in the square, ect.)

I made the Dark Mode gear once, abusing the mini-games to get enough orens for the full set in each chapter, and once was enough for me. I've replayed it a few times on Dark Mode since then just using the regular gear in the game and I didn't have any trouble, so I don't think the Dark Armor sets are all that necessary (and they make the screen washed out and grayish, which takes away a lot of what I like about the art style).

Bobaganoosh said:
I don't know how much Orens you have, but I found it easy to get a lot of Orens from Chapter 2 if you choose Roche's path. In the camp you go to, there's a guy you can arm wrestle for 100 Orens everytime you beat him.

Yeah, I did that too. I'm not sure if it's still possible though (I vaguely remember that getting "fixed" in one of the patches because he was only supposed to agree to one match).

another quick question, does removing the tatoo give you anything? if its just a money sink on ingredients ill just keep it lol

nervemessiah said:
another quick question, does removing the tatoo give you anything? if its just a money sink on ingredients ill just keep it lol

No, removing the tattoo just keeps you from getting teased about it :p

I find the Dark mode gear makes the biggest difference in Act II. You can get it around mid-act and wear it well into Act III. After you get the standard Act III gear, Dark mode is nearly a walkover anyway.

Ok, I'll prob either get the ch.2 gear or depending on how much i spend on diagrams wait for the ch. 3 dark gear. Like i said, sitting at 5.2k without having finished my contracts yet, also still havent sold off my extra's yet (ingredients that is) i have 100+ nekkar claws, 150+ nekkar teeth and around 50 endrega hides and 50 endrega saliva.

ch.1 diagram advice would be great too so i dont buy useless stuff.

I know, i ask a lot of questions rofl. I know I want impregnation (harvester and catalysis also look good, harvest is required to get impregnation so really im just deciding wether to leave it with 1 point or put in the second, haven't decided on catalysis at all yet though) from the alchemy tree so heres my thoughts (without experience to back them of course) do i get alchemist + side effects (bomb and trap dmg + possible mutagens) or do i get synthesis + spec pots (vit + pot duration) i honestly dont feel like i need any of those they are just a means to an end, but of them i feel like the vit + pot duration might be the least useful since so far as i can tell most pots last for about 10 min anyway, and i dont feel like i need the vit. But before i invested i wanted to get input from someone who has more experience.

The chapter 1 outfit doesn't require a lot of collecting. Mostly a lot of money. In addition to the diagrams and crafting fees, you are going to need to buy Silver Ore and Studded Leather: Silver Ore is scarce, and the amount of Oil you need to craft Studded Leather is prohibitive.

I'm a firm believer in mastering one tree as soon as possible, so you start getting Adrenaline effects early. There's plenty of time to take second upgrades in important low-level skills like Position, Aard, and Alchemist later.

For an alchemist character, I take Alchemist, then Side Effect and Harvester. This gets me to Catalysis, Potions, and Oils. Then I climb the tree via Transmutation, Metathesis, Condensation, Mutant, and Amplification. When I get there, I craft a Yellow Meteorite sword.

You don't need Impregnation until you've accumulated a stash of nice mutagens. Then take two points in Impregnation and start using your mutagens. I favor Critical Effects, Enhancement, and Power; if you cast signs a lot, the Concentration and sometimes-rare Madness mutagens are especially good. I don't use Strength or Vitality mutagens much; on Dark mode, the most dangerous enemies will kill you quickly even if you have strongly boosted armor or Vitality.

I like to play Dark mode with powerful weapons, because it takes attrition combat out of the game. You can't make a tank of yourself and wade into melees; you have to use caution and tactics to protect yourself. And when you do get the advantage of an enemy, you can do unto him before he does you.

There really isn't anything you NEED to buy in Act 1. Definitely if you're near the end anyway you'll find better items in Act 2 than you can buy in Act 1 soon enough. Potions and oils are always nice to have but I'm fairly sure you can still get those in Act 2 if you skip them. I suggest at least making sure you can buy the Dark mode set in Act 2 because the armour (Oathbreaker's set) is one of the best-looking in the game : D.

Edit: You can buy most crafting diagrams for ingredients in all acts, I think, so no reason to buy them until you need them. And diagrams for armour/swords are mostly superfluous if you're nearing the end of the first act anyway.

thanks for all the good info and the quick replies everyone. As for the stuff i need i just meant things like trap / bomb / alchemy recipes. I'm not gonna waste money on the act 1 dark armor, cause like Guy said, the harder mobs will kill you fast regardless of what your wearing its more of a skill > gear thing (hence why i didn't really wanna get synthesis + spec pots).

As for mastering a tree. Honestly I probably wont go any further than impregnation (maybe 1 or 2 others just if i see something i want) but I plan on mastering the sword tree really, just wanted to get those alchemy ones early on to stock up on ingredients early on, and mutagens especially since its only a 2% chance.

I'm more assuming im close to the end of the chapter than anything really, as far as quests go the only things i have left (other than the ones that carry over to the next chapter) are the incense quest (waited on that because the merchant shuts down his shop afterwards and I wanted to get more info on useful recipes first) and I am suppose to meet Iorveth at the ruins (where im assuming ill fight Letho for the first but not the last time.)

Right now I'm level 12 with;

Axii sign hex lvl 3
Intimidation lvl 3
Persuasion lvl 3
Cover lvl 1
Haggling lvl 1
Strong Back lvl 1
Pyromaniac lvl 1
Experienced lvl 1
Strong back lvl 1
Conjuror lvl 1
Sapper lvl 1
Assassin lvl 1
Thrower lvl 1
Batter lvl 1
Resistance to magic lvl 1

Also have Melitele's Heart (did it more for the quest exp but +1 vit regen can't hurt :) )

I purchased only the recipe for Grapeshot so far(required to finish the Nekkar Contract), and I'm sitting around 6k orens

Top Bottom