Witcher 2 decisions in Witcher 3?

+
Hi, I've read this forum several times to help trough my witcher games for years, but this time I cound't find someone to help me in any forum, so I joined today so maybe someone can help me.

I just finished Letho's fight at the end of TW2, but there's no auto save from after the fight, the last save the game has it's the auto save right before the start of said fight.
I deleted some saves, but this still didn't fix the problem, and I know this used to work because years ago when I played the game, I was able to import my save where he lived to TW3, which I know the default (without a save import) is that Letho's dead.

I did use some mods, but until this point, I had no issue with saves, even the auto saves ones.

Can someone help me? I finally played a different path and I really want to use this save.

Side note: This game's save system it's kind of broken in general, I've played this game two times and I save a lot, but it won't save more after a limit of saves, which would be fine, if the game warned you about it. I almost lost 5 hours of game because the game was saying that it was "saving" when in fact it wasn't. I know they fixed this in TW3 but I think I had to say this somewhere.

Can someone help me?
There should be an autosave from the beginning of the epilogue (Dandelion's narration before the credits) in TW2, at least this has always been the case for me. You may need to check in your Witcher 2 > gamessaves folder manually to identify the exact time-stamp for the file, and then match it from amongst the entries on the list of files for import in Wild Hunt. If the file does not exist, however, and you cannot generate a new one by fighting Letho again, you can choose to simulate your save when you start a new game in Witcher III. Simply select the ON option under the Generate Witcher 2 Save prompt, instead of importing, when you start from the main menu. This simulation process will take place in Wyzima.

There should be an autosave from the beginning of the epilogue (Dandelion's narration before the credits) in TW2, at least this has always been the case for me. You may need to check in your Witcher 2 > gamessaves folder manually to identify the exact time-stamp for the file, and then match it from amongst the entries on the list of files for import in Wild Hunt. If the file does not exist, however, and you cannot generate a new one by fighting Letho again, you can choose to simulate your save when you start a new game in Witcher III. Simply select the ON option under the Generate Witcher 2 Save prompt, instead of importing, when you start from the main menu. This simulation process will take place in Wyzima.

Here's the thing, this file it's never made, I beated him three times, I tried jumping the cutscenes after it, I tried letting all the credits roll and still nothing, the file it's simply not created at all :/ I checked the local files and they're the same that shows in game load option

I really don't want to simulate a save because I wanted to import some of the gear that I have too

What's making me upset it's that the first time I played I had no problem like this, and I can't see a reson why a save file it's not being made

------
UPDATE
Now my game it's not saving at all!
I deleted a lot of saves, the message that the game was saved appears, but it's not on the load page!
Nor in the folder in the computer!
I verified the game's cache and nothing changed!
What the hell it's going with this game?! I never had this issue, and I have over 100 hours on it
I'm trying to activate the steam cloud again to see if something changes, because at this point I don't know what else I can do

I even checked the My document folder, and there's not one save there, is there anywhere else the saves can be?

Last edited:
I really don't want to simulate a save because I wanted to import some of the gear that I have too
Unfortunately, it was never possible to import Witcher 2 gear into Wild Hunt. Only a few story decisions are carried over. This was a design choice since first release, so you needn't worry about losing aught in this regard.
I even checked the My document folder, and there's not one save there, is there anywhere else the saves can be?

That is indeed odd. I have the GOG version, so I don't know whether this could be a Steam issue or not. Here are some more basics to check, though: Make sure you are running the game as administrator, and that the game is not installed in Program Files. Sometimes, lack of administrative privileges can affect games, and Program Files seems to cause conflicts.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Sorry!

Over to you, @SigilFey . . .

Unfortunately, it was never possible to import Witcher 2 gear into Wild Hunt. Only a few story decisions are carried over. This was a design choice since first release, so you needn't worry about losing aught in this regard
Really? I was so sure it could go to TW3, but the last time I imported was probably 4 years ago so...

Well, I'm the pc admistrator so everything that I do should already have this privileges

Nice that now, while trying to fix this problem, made my insane file unable to load because I died in another save that I was testing, so anyway, after everything I did, it was for nothing :)

I'm just one step of trowing this game to the ground, just one...

---
I deleted everything, I'm gonna start from scracth and hope that this problem won't happen again
Honestly, if I didn't like this game so much, I woudn't bother touching this again

Last edited:
I know you said you were done with the issue, but for future reference: yes, there is, if you have Steam cloud saves enabled for the game.

They'd be listed here for that particular game (the link will prompt you to log into Steam unless you are logged in), with download links.

Really? I was so sure it could go to TW3, but the last time I imported was probably 4 years ago so...

There's still a way in the game to apply the TW2 changes, though:
When you arrive in Vizima for the first time, following the prologue, there will be an interrogation. At that point, the player will be asked about all of their decisions in TW2 that will apply to TW3.

EDIT: Oh -- Ninjaed-back by Drac. (7 minutes, but it only appeared on my screen when I posted, so it felt fast.)

I'll try again, this time paying more attencion to the saves.
Thank you everyone that awnsered me :)
If nothing works, I'll do the interrogation section in Vizima, even though I'd love to import the same.

An update:

This time it worked!
Though I must say, I cleaned a little my mods, made another path, and spared Letho.

So maybe somewhere in the game, something broke and it was impossible to end.

I did save the save in another place in my computer, and one day I'll try to use it in TW3 to see if the game considers that I killed him and saved my other choices, since my last save was literally as I started his battle.

Again, thank you for everyone that tried to help, this community it's awesome! :D

Top Bottom