Witcher 2 EE GoG vs Steam Version?

+
Witcher 2 EE GoG vs Steam Version?

I have both versions of the game. Does anyone notice a considerable performance different in the GoG version over the Steam version? This is one of the first things i noticed. With the GoG version i can play most settings on medium-high with good performance, on the Steam version i had to play a lot of settings on low-medium. Anyone else think the GoG version is optimized better than the Steam version?

I'd say the versions are the same, just that your computer has to also run Steam in the background (overlay, perpetually updating TF2, that sort of thing) which could impact performance a little. I tend to turn everything non-essential off when playing my (GOG) copy, although having a low-end PC might have something to do with that...

The GOG version indeed isn't running together with steam, so it doesn't need to share its resources with it. Thats the only thing I can think of at this moment.

There's a difference between a performance issue being caused by Steam, and a performance issue being caused by the Steam Overlay or Steam Coud. Using Steam doesn't mean you HAVE to use the overlay, so it's no different to choosing to play with the browser open, or some other software running in the background.

I run with Steam offline, and the resource usage by the client is almost non-existent. But yes, using the Overlay and Steam Cloud WILL probably impact on performance.

I really think that is because of a bottleneck that I have in my PC (in fact I'm really sure XD), but the game is always around 30 FPS no matter if I choose Low-Medium-High, and no matter if I play it on GoG or on Steam.

I tried running Steam with and without Steam stuff (cloud saving, overlay) and it was the same as I have now on GoG version :S

Maybe depends on the rig you have, in my PC is always the same thing no matter what I do XD

Well i thought it would of been Overlay related as well that was bogging down Witcher 2 on Steam but we all know after the 2.0 update Steam Overlay never worked properly after that. All i know is i am able to play better with the GoG version which makes me very happy :D

Top Bottom