Witcher 2 Redkit. Questions and answers.

+
Nemomallo;n10300202 said:
So maybe try to look all old tiles of the nav mesh and only process the new unlocked tiles? It still is taking a long time, but should work.
Hmmm, can't make it work. The outcome from this "lock" tool is basically the same as from generating it with mostly unloaded world. Navigation in these areas becomes mostly ruined.

Nemomallo;n10300202 said:
What are the problems with the old nav mesh?
The old one is fine, that's why I don't want to touch it. Various annoying stuff appears with the new one. There are some missed meshes in the world. For example, one of the tunnels in LM raiders quest has almost bare walls and this weird hole. And there are more places like this. Some stairs may become unwalkable (I saw one, but there may be more). Not to mention the fact that you can't generate it without removing some stuff (or find another way to fix it), otherwise there will be a crash.
lmr.jpg

Last edited:
Hey people, another one of my questions. Right now I'm trying to create a setting in which an NPC-body is layed out in a sarcophagus, which is a meter or so above the floor. My problem is, that the entity ingame template will snap to the floor (if the sarcophagus has no collision) or to the floor next to it (if I give it collision). My first approach was to simply find the NPC-Mesh in the content browser under characters/main_npc/etc. but there the NPCs are in fragments (head, arms, legs, torso, etc), which I cannot use without completely rearranging my NPC. I would rather not gp through all this work :D Is there an easier way for me?

Halbglutprinz;n10329822 said:
Right now I'm trying to create a setting in which an NPC-body is layed out in a sarcophagus, which is a meter or so above the floor. My problem is, that the entity ingame template will snap to the floor (if the sarcophagus has no collision) or to the floor next to it (if I give it collision)

Hey,
I don't know if I understand you correctly; but you can try following:

- increase size of sarcophagus (with the scale tool)
Maybe body of the dead NPC is too big, intersects with sarcophagus (doesn't fit in), and so engine tries to put it as near as possible outside - that is, next to it.
If sarcophagus has no collision, body is placed under it, because you know - physics. (It places body to first mesh, which has collision.)

- use predefined sarcophagus entity template
I think I saw predefined sarcophagus entity template it asset browser.
It had 2 interactions predefined - open sarcophagus and unwrap body. Maybe you can look for it and try to change dead body mesh inside.
Try to search for "sarcophagus", or "dead" in asset browser.

Maybe just place an invisible static mesh, which has collision, under the sarcophagus? Could you describe what templates/meshes you used? Do they swap to the floor when you play the game? Or do they swap when you place them in the world? There is a drop down menu called snap, where you can chose between three way of placing objects in the world. Which is active?
You could also take a look at the meshes (of the corpses?) you would like to use. Maybe these separated meshes have the same origin -> copy the mesh and replace the entry with the other needed mesh (Use the green arrow, to replace the mesh with another file/ Benutze den grünen Pfeil, um ein Mesh mit einem Anderen zu ersetzen).
Greetings Nemo

I tried again this time with your advice in mind. I have no idea what I changed, but somehow it works now. Thank you so much for your time!

Hey people is there a way (like a specific scripting block) to change NPC actionpoints manually? Right now I know how to do this with timetables, dependent on ingame time, but I would like to do this dependent of what happens ingame.

Hi,
yeah, its called quest phase.

In community file, there is possibility to define quest phase and so move npc between quest specific action points.
I don't remember now, if story phase can be defined by "phase" or "story phase setter" blocks; or by "quest log" blocks;
but when quest enters different phase, npc will move to defined action points in community file.

Last edited:
Hey, as the previous poster wrote you can use story phases for that. Add different ones to your timetable, and then activate them via the Story Phase Setter in your quest. The NPC will now move to his new action points from his current position. If he wasn't spawned at the moment (as an example if he was far away), he will simply teleport there. If you don't want them to pathfind to their new position, you can also just deactivate and activate the community again with the Story Phase Setter and he will also just spawn at his new location.

Benzenzimmern;n10355722 said:
pathfind to their new position
Hey,
is it possible to make NPC to not use pathfind ?
I think I saw something like follow path, where you can create line for NPC to follow.

How does this work with APs ? - If NPC finishes walking path, does it simply return to action point, where it started ?
So to make NPC "stand at the end of the line", there needs to be new AP and script needs to switch quest phase for NPC to stay in new AP ?

Is there some tutorial about that - concretely creating path and making NPC to follow it ?

The easiest solution would be to use a "Scripted Action" block on the npc that makes him follow a path. Scripted actions can overwrite whatever a community file is telling a npc, so even if he's supposed to do an Action Point, he'll follow the path if you tell him. At the end of the path, the scripted action ends (although if you want to be 100% clean, you can also use a cut control when the npc reaches the end on the scripted action that's as an example activated by the npc entering a trigger). Usually, he would now go back to his old AP, so this is the perfect moment to switch to the new story phase. Alternatively, you can also switch to the new phase right before or during the scripted action.
However, some blocks might do slightly different things or be called differently. I'm telling these things from memory and the Wild Hunt editor might have warped some of them. So just try it out and see if it helps. :)

I don't 100% remember if I went over this specific case in my tutorial, but I do explain some community information in this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knqO4l4zBlI

Benzenzimmern;n10355722 said:
Hey, as the previous poster wrote you can use story phases for that. Add different ones to your timetable, and then activate them via the Story Phase Setter in your quest. The NPC will now move to his new action points from his current position. If he wasn't spawned at the moment (as an example if he was far away), he will simply teleport there. If you don't want them to pathfind to their new position, you can also just deactivate and activate the community again with the Story Phase Setter and he will also just spawn at his new location.

Hey, thanks for the help. I tried it and it works, but I still have a problem. Somehow when the phase is changed a new instance of my NPC is spawned and the old one lingers. Additionally a new NPC appears each time I strike a conversation with the NPC in the action point. This only happens with the NPC executing the actionpoint. I can still talk to the others standing around without another appearing

UPDATE: I played around a bit and I seem to have figured it out. I had the box "Always Spawned" checked in my community template. I uncheced it and there are no more unwanted clones appearing. Nevertheless, thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Hey people, I have finally started to try and cook my project, but I'm running into problems again. I have created a partition and spawnpoint and cooked it just fine, but when I try and play it ingame I somehow spawn in a corner of the map. Does anyone know what I could have done wrong, or what information would be needed to determine that? :)

No Title

Hey, I'm really new to modding. I've started to work in redkit, and happen to have an issue with objects shadow casting. In the photo reference, the object that is casting shadow is 'temp blanki' and other one is 'wall_stonerdoorlong'. I understand that there is a difference between entity template and mesh, but is there a possibility to make a mesh casting shadows? Also the terrain seems to not casting shadows.
I was looking for an answer on forum, but didn't find an answer. Thanks for a response in advance ;)

edit: I've maneged to do it by myself. If someone have the same problem, just rightclick on mesh select debug>add shadows to all meshes

Still trying to add shadows to terrain though...

Attachments

• photo206431.jpg
    photo206431.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Hey balinking

welcome to the forum. It is good that you figured it out by yourself, but If you have any other question ask it! At the start it is rather complicated. The answer on the shadows of the terrain is that the terrain will not make any shadows. The developers used invisible meshes of (probably exported terrain), which casts the shadow.
So this would be the solution to your problem.
Greetings Nemo

Hello! I have a few questions.I can't create new topic so i ask here. I am using Gibbed RED Tools to edit game files. So, questions "How to":
1) let Geralt loot, climb/descend during combat state;
2) let dead bodies stay there for minutes;
3) let Geralt switch target (softlock) more easily/faster
4) disable that moment, when you have to pay guard 200 coins after killing guards
5) prevent Geralt stucking when axii has fractional value "cast duration" (or tell me another way to change axii cast time)
6) let Geralt move while blocking.

Last edited:
Hey 30fps ,

I am not sure, if any of my answer will be correct or will really help you. Every answer is just a mere guess. If somebody else has better answers/ detects some mistakes please correct me.

1.) In the editor you can define that some of the exploration areas/entities are allowed to be used in the combat state, so I don\t know if you can change this problem, because it will depend probably on more than one file, which defines combat state or/and the exploration state/action.
2.) This could be found in a file defining how long they will stay and when they disappear, I never saw a option in the editor to check which sad body should stay after killing. So it should be a file (.xml?) which is telling the engine to make the Bodys disappear. And aren't there mods like this? If there are look at their solution.
3.) Will probably also defined in some file how long/flexible the softlock will be.
4.) Will be problematic with Gibbed RED Tools, because I think this is a triggered quest and not some state etc. defined by one or two files, though it could be edited/cut out with the editor.
5.) The casting time of the sign could be also defined in some file, so maybe you can change it. But maybe it will cause problems with animations.
6.) I don't think that it is possible to change this. You will probably need new animation for Geralt blocking while running/dodging around. The implementation of animations is complicated and probably only possible with the editor (and even with the editor it is complicated and I don't know how to do it). The only animation that got added is the pirouette with the Full Combat Rebalance Mod.

So the best advice I can give you take a look at other mods like the
Full Combat Rebalance Mod and how they changed certain aspects of the game and search their files and try to figure out how they achieved the changes.
I hope I helped you at least a bit.

Greetings
Nemo

Last edited:
Hello, I've encountered 3 problems, maybe someone can help me:
- How to change mesh drawing distance? I've noticed that different meshes 'vanish' in the closer distance than the others. It is especially annoying with candles, when from far away, you can see only lights floating in the air
- Similar to the first problem, but this time it's about shadows drawing distance, some shadows 'vanish' in the closer distance than the others.
- Is there a way to take a screenshot from a gameplay in redkit? I'm pressing 'PrtScn' button, then trying to paste it to other program, but apparently the memory is empty, cause nothing happen.

edit:
Is there anywhere a tutorial for particle effects (waterfalls etc.)?

Last edited:
Hello again balinking

I will try to answer your questions maybe add some screens later if I have time.

1. Yes, different meshes have different drawing distances, you can change those in the mesh editor window
just open the mesh in the asset browser (double click on the mesh) and go to the panel Properties and change the autohidedistance to the value you want. The value 0 means it will never be hidden. You can measure distances in your world with the Ruler Tool (,which you find under tools).
I would always advice to make a copy of the mesh( or files in general, especially entities) you want to edit and edit the copied file not the original file. If you change the values in the original file you probably forget the value or make a mistake and this could be problematic (for example in performance)

2. You can change the value using two different methods:
- select the mesh go at the panels to properties search for overrideMeshShadowRenderingDistance click to activate it
(normally it's false) then look one line up at shadowRenderingDistance and change the vales to one of the presets e.g. ESRD_High70. This will only change the settings on the selected but you can multiselect meshes and change so all their values at the same time.

- open the mesh editor go to properties search for shadowRenderingDistance and change the value there. This will change the settings of the mesh globally for every world you use the mesh. This can be problematic (e.g. performance, because you probably have to adjust the rendering distance if it is set too high and it takes more time, if you just want to test different drawing distances.)

3. I have experienced the same problem, normal PrtScrn does not work. I 've tried the game bar Win+G and took a screenshot. The hotkey ( of the game bar) for screenshots worked also Win+Alt+PrtScrn. you find the screenshots in the folder C:\Users\[insert your user name]\Videos\Captures.

4. I don't think that there is a tutorial about particle effects. But I could write about some basics or explanation of the parts they are made of. Though it would be nicer too have precise questions.

5. There are waterfall particles and also waterfall meshes, what kind of waterfall do you mean how to edit the meshes or the particles?

I hope I've answered your question. If something won't work just ask.

Greetings Nemo

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am new in RedKit and I have some work to do.
I find a lot of informations but not those that interest me.

It would be great if you could answer some question as I am implementing my work.

For now, what I want to know is, how can I use triggers area to trigger script.
For exemple I'm trying to trigger a journal entry when Geralt is walking near a place.
After the entry has been triggered, I want to replace the previous entry by the new one triggered.

Thanks.

Edit: I think that I found it.
  1. Create a trigger area and tag it.
  2. In your Quest script add a "Pause" node
  3. In the left window, select the condition "CQuestEnterTriggerCondition"
  4. Link the node as in the image

Quest.PNG

I don't know if this is the correct method thought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom