Witcher 2 Redkit. Questions and answers.

+
Hey @nik0jima
I think your solution should work fine the quest log files in the editor are triggered in the quest itself and not by walking into a separate trigger. Journal entries are also triggered by facts, which are added to the game and a quest pause node.

At everyone, I have some questions:

How to connect an rain environment with the rain sound. And how to fix issues with it. Is it important what priority the other sound ambient areas (for music or other ambient sounds) have or why do I only get rain sound when I am outside of an environment? Any clues about what I am doing wrong?

Is there a possibility to activate deactivate light components like point light in a quest and not by activate deactivate/load a certain layer or group. The quest idea is the following I want to hide some obstacle and make an light active? The light should not be active before.

I have only few knowledge about lights but it is possible to define a certain time when it is activated by something? I have seen the tab envColorGroup would this be the solution?
Because I would like to have eg. extra ligths in a cave at the daytime but not any at all in the night.

I hope maybe some experienced modder could answer me this.
Thanks

Hey @nik0jima

I have maybe found the solution to my first question by myself. All soundambientareas must set to triggerpriority0. I had to adjust my areas and not place some soundambient areas inside others. What is nice to know that triggerpriority1 disables the rain sound so it is probably a must for underground and inside soundambientareas.

What do you mean by deactivating a trigger? Do you mean deactivating a trigger area? One solution would be to have special layers for some triggers and activate, deactivate them in the quest file. QEnableComponent should also probably work and would avoid complicated layer structures. Signals in a quest file begin and end so some triggers in the begining should not respond later in a quest if not intended ( or maybe I have understood something false).

I think it is also possible without an template of an npc to create an interactive examinable body. A good example of body examination is the quest sq202_burned village. Look at the template sq202_dead_body and at the related quest or phase it is sq202_burned_village (the phase) in the quest graph block named after_success_body.
The interaction component in the template must have name and tag written in the CQuestIntercationCondition pause node in the quest file. I also forgot about this once. And check the tags, try to give the template a tag after you dropped the template on a layer and also try to give it a tag in the entityeditor and save it. Maybe one of both methods is working I do not remember what was the right solution. Also some interaction must be defined to be exploration for example.

A good tip is always look at the original game quests if you want create a similar quest. Remember the quest and where it was, how it worked and search for it in the editor. Does take some time to find the exact thing you are searching for.

Greetings Nemo

Hey,

I got a quick question about Day-Night cycles:
So, via the world-environment you can simulate this cycle and it's changing the lighting etc. I'm currently building a mod with a lot of NPCs and I wanted to give them day-night cycles by linking them to different aps at various times, like in the org-files of the game. But when I enter the editor-build (not the cooked version) at different times it changes nothing about the npc's position/ap. He sticks to one. So, my question is: does the day-night controller of the world-env only affect the lighting? Do time-structured aps only work in the cooked game?

So, my question is: does the day-night controller of the world-env only affect the lighting? Do time-structured aps only work in the cooked game?
Hey,
this should definitely work.
My suggestion for you is to try to enable global area environment by script at the start of the game.

You need to have entity template with quest component placed in the scene, so the quest script is loaded at the start of the game; and there you should enable it.

P.S. - maybe - and I am not sure about it - the block you are searching for is in (right click in the quest)->(something like "game system" or "game time" ?) -> place it in the script, add global area environment tag and it should work.

Note - all of the area environments are disabled by default, but you can turn them on and of via this block.

Hope this helps at least a bit :)

Hey,

The world environment should definitely affect both the lighting and the time.
I made a tutorial video years ago that shows a timetable being filled. You can check it to make sure that you did all the points necessary:
Also, make sure that there's actually navmesh between all actionpoints of the npc, so when he wants to switch to the new one, he can actually find a path.

I hope it helps!

Hey,
maybe I should try it out by myself but the last time I tried it out not everything did work as I wished. Hopefully there is still someone around to answer my question.
I wanted to create a scene (solved that problem).
I don't know so far, if it should be gameplay or not, probably it should be gameplay. It should be similar to the intro scene in the two additional adventures of the first Witcher (price of neutrality and side effects).
So I need to know how to make a dialogue between npcs without the interaction of Geralt or maybe a hidden Geralt.
I also thought about making it gameplay scene but then there is Geralt and I don't want him in the scene.
And the second problem is that I can't figure it out how to edit the static cameras in a proper way. The cameras are not working as I want and I don't know the trick behind it or how to make use of them in the scripts and create camera movements/tours. I used the static camera script and I named probably everything right, but still had some problems I did not understand.
I found a solution to the first question by looking at the files, but I still don't understand static cameras completely.
Also I want to share some dialogue I've written for the scene. It's only a first draft but every constructive criticism is welcome!

Edit: Solved the both problems ( kind of gave up on the static cameras or had a work around don't remember anymore) and rewrote the post in order to avoid double posting. And rewrote again more than a half year later :D
Intro

Female Folk:

Master Dandelion, Master Dandelion, sing us another ballad of yours. We would love to hear more about what happened to Geralt of Rivia after Loc Muine. You already sang us about so many great things that happened, but we wonder what happened after this. What about Merigold and the others? Did he search for his old love Yenefer? Did he find her?

Male Folk:

No, no, tell us more about Vergen and what happened after the Nilfgaardian invasion. What happened to you and his other friends? Did you have to save him again? This time from the Black Ones? What was your role in the war between the kings and how did your influence shape the future?

Dandelion:

Dear folk those are many questions. Some are to be answered and some to be left for another time. The night is not as young as it used to be but not as old as dwarven stubbornness …

Dwarfs:

And human prejudices!...

Dandelion:

And human prejudices, but as we all know those words are common to all of us and I had and have many friends in the bearded folk who used and used this phrase. So, let’s not argue about this Master Dwarf, but agree that time is a precious gift even more valuable than all the gold you can make as grain trader (in the harbour of Lan Exeter) in Kovir and Poviss. Good folk, I told you about the events in Vergen and Loc Muine. I will sing you about another story of the White Wolf, about his search for the beloved Yenefer, about the young and beautiful Triss Merigold, about his two closest companions and the child of the prophecy. But the night already ages and not much time is left to sing about those great deeds in such short time. Our story begins just a few weeks after the conclave of the Mages. On their way back to Vergen they separated shortly, and so he set his foot on a road not knowing what even the shortest step can cause … The title of the ballad is Interludium.

Last edited:
You can open them in the REDKit. At least the w2scene files which belong to the REDKit.

EDIT: preventing double post :)

@Benzenzimmern
HI Benz lately I've been looking at area environments and you old videos and tutorials and at the Lykaon world files.
So I hope that you're somehow still around and have same time to answer my questions. The camp world does not use an AreaEnvionment also the port level does not use any. You used in your level different skyboxes. I tried to use your custom skyboxes with global environments of the camp and the port world. The problem is it does not show the skyboxes. So do you still know which value iI have to edit to make those skyboxes visible with eg the camp level global environment. (I could try to find it out using brute force trying out but It is not that important and I just would like to know).
You had 4 different Enviroments ( Clear, Sunset, Rain, Cloudy) in Lykaon. Each environment comes with a special skybox. Now I am asking myself how to load/ unload ( hide/ unhide) not used Skyboxes using the normal environment settings. I did not find anything in the quest files controlling those skyboxes and environments. How did you approach this? Did you use them all in the same time or did you load unload them by using triggers? Did you get them working as you intented?

It somehow rains inside my buildings if I want to use rain. I have extra environments for the buildings with a higher priority than the rain environment. It still rains inside. What is the solution to stop rain inside buildings?
Thanks
Nemo

Last edited:
Hey, at night i can't see moving clouds on the night sky (can see shadows on the ground and in entity editor moving clouds). Let's take non modified dynamic_skybox. How can I make more visible CMesh "dynamic_clouds" at night? Is there a way to make it more bright in "areaenvironment" parameters? Or i need to modify "dynamic_clouds" in material graph editor and somehow make script to switch "dynamic_skybox" on the fly in game when night comes (if that is even possible)?

I am new to this and I am digging a lot but in this case have no idea how to approach this.

Last edited:
Hm @surferboy161 ,
I have to investigate this ( no definite answer after one week), only comments on your suggestions.
You mean that you want to see the clouds from the skybox better -> the cloudy part of the night sky. I am not sure anymore, if you can change this by area enviroments, but I remember that some values make far away meshes more or less visable ( Did you read the wiki?!). If you create a new material with editing values ( not sure about that) editing the texture, it should show the clouds better.
I did think about skripts changing the skybox, it should be possibel to switch the layer on which the box is stored of by a timer in the skripts. Don't know if this would work oksish with a day night cycle.
Hope this was of any value. Could you screenshot your problem?
Nemo

Hi, nemomallo,

dynamic_skybox.w2ent contains two CMeshComponent's static_sky and dynamic_clouds

My problem is that I want to make dynamic_clouds brighter (part with moving clouds) at night because I can't see them moving on the dark sky. The question was what is the best way to make dynamic_clouds CMeshComponent brighter.

At the day time dynamic_skybox looks great in my story and I want to stick with that.

I've done youtube tutorials from Klabautermann, Milgo, Philipp Weber (and dialogue on vimeo), GameMaster69 NPC creating on vimeo.
I've read the REDkit Editor Basic Manual (stil need to test some of functions on my own but getting there), almost everything what I've found on wiki (what I've read I've practiced).

A lot of solutions I've found here like using cut control to stop moving back npc from object (script) and after that phase setter community for actionpoint.

Now I am going with Fartuess (Local lighting system overview) and on wiki witcher studio script, music, local string database, map, stealth - the last to are not need right now, but the rest of mentioned are important to me so I wan't to focus on them more as well as tutorial about The Witcher 3D models converter and some basic 3ds max (re_exporter) for my needs

Everything else what I've found out i think I've got it covered and after that I spend a lot of time going thru Wither 2 files to learn how to work proper in REDkit.
I really enjoy bullet proofing my quests and basically making them come alive.

So basically I am starting my adventure with REDkit and not having anyone to ask for solutions and ideas makes it harder on every further step. In certain situations don't wan't to go with solutions that I've already know (while having this feeling deep inside that there is a better way to do it). That's why I decided to try to talk here.

Getting back to dynamic_skybox agonizing. My first way of modifications to sky was like Philipp did in Lyakon (making sky with few differently acting dynamic_clouds, swapping texture file for static_sky as well as tuning colors in area environments parameters). The encouraging part was that we've got that solution independently.

At this point I really wanted to make moving clouds (dynamic_clouds) brighter on the night sky because thy are not visible and keep the non modified ones to day time. I wan't to keep the static texture as it is but only make brighter moving clouds.

The first my idea was to modify signal in "dynamic_clouds" in material graph editor (but wanted to ask if there exist more proper way to do that) or if this is even a way to accomplish anything.

As well I think I will need to make script in studio script (my main is c but can do it). Its only my assumption due I haven't started practicing studio script it yet. Was curios if there is existing already implemented way to maintain .w2ent files according to daytime routine (it could be useful to try make random rain events during a day cycle).

EDIT:

I've achieved similar effect with plain m_sky and custom moving clouds but missing the texture from "l03_camp_night". Now I am trying to figure out how to make that texture to appear at night time and not affect day time (want to keep m_sky parameters at day and no texture from skybox)

EDIT2:
I think I am good now with it, you gotta make skybox based on yours material graph. Now working on rain, anyone tried to make it random? Is the way to go is thru scripts and time management via switching environment layers?

Last edited:
Hello again @surferboy161
Sorry for asking, was never my intention to critisize, sometimes people don't read and aks random questions. I wanted to look into this problem, but I have still no PC with REDKit to check it. It seems that you somehow found a solution by editing the materials?
And yes you're rigth asking if somebody has a solution is good! Most of the knowledege I now have about REDKit I had to painfully learn by trial and error. Regarding the converter I have some knowledege on static meshes ( tough I did not check the earliest versions yet.)
About the rain, I am not sure but I think the global enviroments are somehow basically changed randomly (you can have some for rain, for sunrise and for fog etc.). I did not investigate too much but never found a file that governs the enviroments generally. Yes you can activate certain areas by scripts but after you activated one at the start they start to change on their own. So isn't rain random or did you experience patterns?
Your solution could be valid but I without REDKit I am only guessing.
Nemo

We can random control environment by making random mechanizm that is realtime looped and by drawing facts we force system to check weather for whatever cycle we wanna. I am using every 30 min check to control weather and than randomizing environment with less probability of rain. It't not my solution but it works like a charm.

Hey, I just downloaded REDkit because I wanted to fix some bugs in the game. I used it to edit the inventory of a monster to fix its loot drops, but even after I saved the changes it didn't fix the problem. Is there a step I'm missing to apply the changes to the game?

Hello everyone! I have been studying the REDkit for two weeks now and have created my first level. Right now I am implementing a small quest.

In this quest, at one time, Geralt and a NPC walk a path together (using a formation) and talk in the meanwhile. At the end of the path, all dialogue lines were spoken and they encounter a nekker, whereupon the NPC is supposed to run away and transition to a new actionpoint.

This is my aproach:

my quest snippet.png

I got inspired by the opening scene in Act I of TW2, where Geralt, Triss and Roche walk on the beach until they meet Iorveth:

landing quest intro.png

Now the only problem is, that the NPC vanishes when he should run away. I have found this thread

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...his-start-point-action-point.713/#post-143181

which discusses the exact same problem but I wondered if anyone actually knows (by now) a cleaner solution?

Thank you in advance!

I guess that the issue is in your community file.
Check if the community file have unchecked boxes like "Start in AP" or "Run to position" (I'm not sure if it's the exact options names, don't have RedKit opened now).
This might force the NPC to start new actionpoint immediately so it will TP instead just walking to it.
I have simillar actions in quests and NPC just walk through the map to specific actionpoint after the dialogue.
If this won't help, send the screenshots of your community file and I will check it.

Top Bottom