Witcher 2 Redkit. Questions and answers.

+
Hi everyone!
I am fairly new to Redkit so please forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere already. I am at the stage where I practiced NPC creation for a quest I have in mind and for some reasons only male npcs seem to show up. I´m not sure where the issue comes from- I did everything the exact same way but as soon as I hit play only the male npcs appear. Is there something I´m missing in the jobtree/actionpoint department?
Thanks in advance!

It would be good if you could send some screenshots from the community file.
My first guesses would be:
- Wrong type of the workspot. Some of them have gender/race specific type like: woman_praying, dwarf_sitting
- Wrong actionpoint category chosen in the community file for female NPC's. For example, if you placed actionpoint from 'default' category but choosen 'work' category in community - it won't work. If You open job file, named the same as the actionpoint entity, workspot category should be named in the bottom of the screen.
- Wrong type of the NPC entity choosen. Some of them don't have proper logic attached. If you open the folder with the character, they have 2-3 entities like: townswoman_poor, townswoman_poor_appearance. In this case, you should probably choose the first one.

It would be good if you could send some screenshots from the community file.
My first guesses would be:
- Wrong type of the workspot. Some of them have gender/race specific type like: woman_praying, dwarf_sitting
- Wrong actionpoint category chosen in the community file for female NPC's. For example, if you placed actionpoint from 'default' category but choosen 'work' category in community - it won't work. If You open job file, named the same as the actionpoint entity, workspot category should be named in the bottom of the screen.
- Wrong type of the NPC entity choosen. Some of them don't have proper logic attached. If you open the folder with the character, they have 2-3 entities like: townswoman_poor, townswoman_poor_appearance. In this case, you should probably choose the first one.

Thank you! I tried to paste the npcs into my level folder again and it seems that working with the default appearances works better than tweaking their outfits etc (I did that last time and it caused some problems with meshes and textures?).

Also, I checked the workspot category you mentioned- I was not aware that there were several options for one job tree. That might be where the problems came from. Either way it´s working now!

Again, thank you so much!
:)

You're welcome.
If You want to use modified appearance, You can add another appearance definition to that *_appearance file and it should appear in the default one too.
The default one contains gameplay things and inherits the visual part from the *_appearance as far as I remember.
You can also copy them to Your level folder if You don't want to modify the original ones.

I am trying to understand how spawnsets work when it comes to controlling NPCs with scripts.
I made the NPC move towards a waypoint and then play specific animations via scripted actions block. Now the problem - whenever the last animation I assigned finishes, NPC teleports back to his AP in currently active story phase. It isn't exclusive to scripted actions, other functions that have higher priority than story phase result in the same manner.

I want him to become idle or at least walk back to said AP on his own because knowing how buggy Redkit is, it's gonna break at some point which means quest cannot progress. I tried using QSetNPCIdleState script and it doesn't work, before that I deactivated the spawnset thinking if I leave 'force despawn' at false, NPC will stay in the world but nope, it sadly doesnt work like that.

@Riven-Twain @PATROL @Draconifors @Benzenzimmern @Alicja.
I have enough! Now RedKit started to insult me ( Screenshot)!
Who wasted time on whom? Take this Redkit, I will break your dependencies.
Redkit is insulting me.jpg

I am joking but I am seriously a little bit annoyed and would like to get some explenation from the devs.
I know this piece of software is old and the devs have now other priorites! But please take a note and look at my post when you have time or communicate to somebody who might know. It is not funny at all and seriously even if it is/was a joke I cannot laugh from the bottom of my heart about it ( becasue I invested countless hours into learning stuff (without any or scarce documentation!) And then this!
I ask just for explaining if it is even possible (most important question!!!) to create a billboard atlas for the allready existing tree assets (in the program or outside it) and the basics or of creating the billboard in this swearing programm.
I won't try endless hours investigation and trying to create the billboards and then magically it not possible like adding animation and than the program is swearing again at me.

Thanks
Nemomallo

I won't try endless hours investigation and trying to create the billboards and then magically it not possible like adding animation and than the program is swearing again at me.

Heh -- I don't know anything significant about the REDkit. My modding experience is almost wholly with Morrowind. But one thing I can tell you is that a large part of modding is working for hours on something only to discover it's not possible to handle it that way in the engine. Then, we find other ways to do it. Don't worry about that. I promise that will happen over and over again.

And congratulations, in a way! That message was obviously meant as a quip between the devs. :D My guess would be that's either a reminder from one team to another to follow the correct methodology as introduced in the engine...or a note from the devs to themselves in case they skipped a step. So, you've managed to dig deeply enough to discover something that even the REDs were having trouble with.

I've never checked billboard generation yet but I'm afraid that this billboard generation might be implemented just like 'Generate Lipsync' option in Scene Editor...
It simply don't work and just shows dummy message that the lipsync has been generated...
Maybe it required additional 3rd party program to work and the connection wasn't implemented in RedKit?
If You can't find any way to make that work, You can try to place some trees on plain background, make a screenshot from the side, remove the background in graphic app and import as separate model.

Nemomallo posted soon after me and replies focused on his post. Is it because you don't know the answer to my question or was I unluckily burried?

Nemomallo posted soon after me and replies focused on his post. Is it because you don't know the answer to my question or was I unluckily burried?
Unluckly burried.
To fix Your issue, try to turn off checkbox near 'Start in actionpoint' in community editor, next to AP started when NPC finishes his current job.
This should make NPC simply walk to next AP instead of forcing NPC to immediately start new AP, and teleporting him to it.
As far as I know, NPC's in RedKit needs to be always in actionpoints.
If You want them to "be idle", You also need to use special AP from 'idle' category.

I have enough! Now RedKit started to insult me
I can understand your frustration, mate, and I am sorry for that! Unfortunately, I'm no modder, either, so I can't help with the technical question. Very sorry!

As for the 'insult', as @SigilFey noted above, it's almost certainly an inside joke between the developers. I recall they had to change a few lines in The Witcher III's scripts, after release, since they reflected a rather . . . 'casual', or, shall we say, 'informal' perspective on the game's events. The current case is no doubt another example of that same rebel sense of humour.

Hopefully, one of the other members you mentioned, who has more practical knowledge, can help here.

Hello! Does anyone know if this is possible to download Fmod designer 4.32.04 somewhere? I tried the older versions but I can't get it to work in redkit. The editor recognise the created files but It fails when it comes to playing the sound.

I tried to find it too but without luck.
No available downloads on the net (even on way-back-machine) and no luck when asking people on dm's.
Maybe I'll try to ask directly from Fmod creators for install later on but for now, I gave up and will add music in video edit program when uploading clips from my mod.

Hi everyone I want to add splash effect (Trace effect) to my water meshes and activate it when walking in it
But I don't know how to do it. Can you help me
Post automatically merged:

@Riven-Twain @PATROL @Draconifors @Benzenzimmern @Alicja.
I have enough! Now RedKit started to insult me ( Screenshot)!
Who wasted time on whom? Take this Redkit, I will break your dependencies.
View attachment 11066882
I am joking but I am seriously a little bit annoyed and would like to get some explenation from the devs.
I know this piece of software is old and the devs have now other priorites! But please take a note and look at my post when you have time or communicate to somebody who might know. It is not funny at all and seriously even if it is/was a joke I cannot laugh from the bottom of my heart about it ( becasue I invested countless hours into learning stuff (without any or scarce documentation!) And then this!
I ask just for explaining if it is even possible (most important question!!!) to create a billboard atlas for the allready existing tree assets (in the program or outside it) and the basics or of creating the billboard in this swearing programm.

Thanks
Nemomallo
it's a joke :D (There is another joke in mesh editor that says : Report Fuckup)

Last edited:
@IliyaSherlock
Yes, I know it was a joke. I was kind of not really annoyed, just a little bit, I also laughed :D

1. You change the water mesh to static mesh
2. You go to the proterties look for CStticMeshComponent
3. Change the layer type to CLT_Water and the pathEngineCollisionType to PEC_Disabled

Than as usuuall recalculate Nav_Mesh if neccesarry and test. You shoudl get spalshes for the character walking in the water.

@IliyaSherlock
Yes, I know it was a joke. I was kind of not really annoyed, just a little bit, I also laughed :D

1. You change the water mesh to static mesh
2. You go to the proterties look for CStticMeshComponent
3. Change the layer type to CLT_Water and the pathEngineCollisionType to PEC_Disabled

Than as usuuall recalculate Nav_Mesh if neccesarry and test. You shoudl get spalshes for the character walking in the water.
thank you so much i thought i must add splash effect particle system to somewhere XD

Hey guys

I recently started learning how to use the RedKit and there is one thing I can't figure out or find the answer to anywhere on the web.

Adding tags to the Scene panel.jpg

I am talking about adding tags to encounters, entities etc. in the scene window. I know that some tags can be set when editing an entity in the asset browser for example, but how do I add a tag to an encounter or a scene waypoint?

Thanks in advance :)

Top Bottom