Witcher 3 and copyright rules

+
Witcher 3 and copyright rules

Hi i recently made a intro to my channel but it has a line from the witcher 3 wild hunt trailer just wondering if someone could tell me am I allowed to use it thanks

I used the beginning of the audio of the witcher 3 trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT3Vr4bP9Jc

all i used is 0.00 - 0.17 while the dude was talking I only used the audio can I use it as my intro

We can't answer this question. Forum members at large can't speak for the copyright holder.

You'll need to ask a Red team member directly. They're usually very accommodating about requests, so please do them the courtesy of asking.

GuyN said:
We can't answer this question. Forum members at large can't speak for the copyright holder.

You'll need to ask a Red team member directly. They're usually very accommodating about requests, so please do them the courtesy of asking.

Thanks

Does this really warrant a thread? I mean, it's a question that can be resolved/answered fairly simply? If there's no discussion value, there's no reason to make a thread right? Just send a moderator a message.

I don't understand how this shit could be allowed on this site. Anywhere else and this thread would be deleted in two seconds. You're wasting peoples time...

OP: As a youtube partner I've never any issues with content ID matches with CDPR games, but then again I've never used trailer footage, which i general might give you content ID matches.

Whether or not they give you permission doesn't change the fact that the system on youtube might put a claim..since it's a dumb fucking robot.

CostinMoroianu said:
OP: As a youtube partner I've never any issues with content ID matches with CDPR games, but then again I've never used trailer footage, which i general might give you content ID matches.

Whether or not they give you permission doesn't change the fact that the system on youtube might put a claim..since it's a dumb fucking robot.

While that is true, the only answer to the OP's question remains: Ask permission. Nobody can use CDPR's copyrighted material without their permission.

GuyN said:
While that is true, the only answer to the OP's question remains: Ask permission. Nobody can use CDPR's copyrighted material without their permission.

Of course you can. If it falls under fair use law in your country, permission is irrelevant. Of course, that doesn't mean you won't still end up in court.

didymos1120 said:
Of course you can. If it falls under fair use law in your country, permission is irrelevant. Of course, that doesn't mean you won't still end up in court.
True but this is YouTube we`re talking about...whole different ballgame .
http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/fair-use.html

Remember, it is your responsibility to understand the relevant law and whether it protects the use you have in mind. If you plan to use copyrighted material you didn’t create, we'd strongly advise you to take legal advice first. YouTube cannot provide legal advice or make legal determinations.

didymos1120 said:

With limited exceptions in some places for private use or use in the public interest, there is no automatic "fair use", so yes, it will end with a takedown order, cease and desist letter, or court case if you are so stubborn as to believe you can get away without asking permission after you have been told to do so.

Actually you can get away with it since what kind of company will actually sue someone for a youtube video? It's only happened in a few rare cases. It's highly improbable to happen with a company which has no problem with people doing gameplay videos of their games like CDPR. Also seriously what kind of company will waste it's time for a video that may only get a few thousand views at most?

The only real issue you will have to face will be with the idiotic, moronic police force of youtube, AKA the Content ID system.

People need to stop overreacting to copyright laws. Thinking they need to ask permission for every single bloody clip they do. It's just an annoyance for developers to deal with more then anything. ( So seriously don't waste someone's time actually sending them an e-mail for one video using a few seconds of trailer footage because if your video is going to be claimed it's going to happen regardless of whether or not they give you permission via e-mail ).

The only trouble you might run into from the actual company is if you post leaked footage, if you're that dumb then we'll...expect copyright strikes and rightly so.

To OP: Upload it, if you get a claim then dispute it and based on the results of that dispute you will know what CDPR thinks of whether or not you are allowed to upload the video.

As I mentioned in the personal message, you can go ahead and use it:) As long as it's for non-commercial use, it's absolutely fine:)

MM360 said:
As I mentioned in the personal message, you can go ahead and use it:) As long as it's for non-commercial use, it's absolutely fine:)

Thanks cant wait for witcher 3 keep up the great work!!! :)

MM360 said:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMoGxqwTfxk[/media]

and

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVCQOPC8W2U[/media]

Non-commercial?

It just illustrates the stupidity of the current interpretations of copyright law. It used to be that companies never, ever objected to free advertising--and that's exactly what a You-Tube post of a company's trailer is--free advertising. But today, at least in the US, corporate officers and legal departments have grown really stupid about economic issues. What's needed is a substantial revision if not an outright repeal of the DMCA--a really terrible law that has been abused horrifically. I still can't get over the fact that any company anywhere might object to the free advertising of its products, but some do, amazingly enough (else they wouldn't use the DMCA to pepper You Tube with lunatic take-down notices.)

The situation is more complex than that and really has nothing to do with DMCA or takedown policies. But the answer is really very simple.

Always ask permission when using copyrighted material. Believing that you can use it without asking permission is both amateur and rude.

One reason for always asking is that there may be copyright or licensing issues below the surface. When video or music is created or performed by professional artists, these artists have copyright in their work, and they make their living off royalties for the use of their work. CDPR may not have the right to permit others to use their work freely.

Since CDPR has given permission here, you can proceed in reasonable confidence that rights problems will not arise, and you have backup in case anybody makes unfounded claims against you.

But it is only the fact that the OP did the Right Thing by asking permission that makes this a desirable outcome.

GuyN said:
The situation is more complex than that and really has nothing to do with DMCA or takedown policies. But the answer is really very simple.

Always ask permission when using copyrighted material. Believing that you can use it without asking permission is both amateur and rude.

One reason for always asking is that there may be copyright or licensing issues below the surface. When video or music is created or performed by professional artists, these artists have copyright in their work, and they make their living off royalties for the use of their work. CDPR may not have the right to permit others to use their work freely.

Since CDPR has given permission here, you can proceed in reasonable confidence that rights problems will not arise, and you have backup in case anybody makes unfounded claims against you.

But it is only the fact that the OP did the Right Thing by asking permission that makes this a desirable outcome.

Thanks sorry for asking this newbie question but what does OP mean

Top Bottom