Witcher 3 animations

+
seamusgod said:
free running would cheapen the atmosphere. here you have a beautifully realized world, and you've gone and blasted fecal matter all over it by pandering to the easily amused with crap like parkour. leave that stuff to the russian and french kids who post it on youtube where it belongs. not to mention you cannot do the free running thing in anything other than light weight fabric clothing.

although sensible interaction with the environment, including clambering and climbing over obstacles would enrich the atmosphere.

I partially agree with you on this, but maybe you misunderstood what some of us are saying.
We don't want a Geralt "connorized", doing parkour jumps all over a medieval city wearing a chain mail.

We would really appreciate a new movement system inspired by AC3 fluidity, but adequate to the setting. So no parkour but:

- smooth and gradual stealthy stance, walking and running (technically it will need much more animation frames to do the full movement)
- a realistic jump and climb system which takes account of armor weight
- make sure that the body of Geralt can influence the surrounding environment (and npcs)
- a responsive combat system

In simple words... About animations: less Skyrim more AC3 (or any other great action game)

Avydia1 said:
I partially agree with you on this, but maybe you misunderstood what some of us are saying.
We don't want a Geralt "connorized", doing parkour jumps all over a medieval city wearing a chain mail.

We would really appreciate a new movement system inspired by AC3 fluidity, but adequate to the setting. So no parkour but:

- smooth and gradual stealthy stance, walking and running (technically it will need much more animation frames to do the full movement)
- make sure that the body of Geralt can influence the surrounding environment (and npcs)

In simple words... About animations: less Skyrim more AC3 (or any other great action game)

Exactly. Geralt wasn't very nimble of foot for a Witcher.

Agent_Blue

Avydia1 said:

Greta points.

I am not as long as some others users here, but as i see it, the devs are reading everything on this forum, but rarely take part in our conversations.

It's also way too early to make official statements about a game, which comes earliest in one year out.

Kallelinski said:
I am not as long as some others users here, but as i see it, the devs are reading everything on this forum, but rarely take part in our conversations.

It's also way too early to make official statements about a game, which comes earliest in one year out.

This is correct - the devs read, but they rarely come in to make comments. At some stage, they may have an "Ask the Devs" thread, but that'll probably be a lot closer to the launch date.

They only make comments to each other about our posts in CDProject's building... /> or /> , it's certainly to be funnier (and above all less tiresome) to them. :rolleyes:/>

I'm not sure if this belongs in the animations thread, but I wasn't sure where else to raise it.

I'd quite like arms and legs to be dismembered and decapitations present during combat. I mean within realistic boundaries, not just for the sake of an all out gore-fest. Swords penetrating torsos, blades sinking into flesh etc... I like how this was presented (although over the top) in the comic-book-like cut scenes between each chapter of TW2, and felt it could add to the grimy feel of The Witcher world. This would have to be implemented during the flow of combat as most agree the choice to leave behind any QTE's is a good one. However, if this would be too hard to animate and sacrifice other areas of the improved combat mechanics, then it isn't a MUST for me by any means.

Your thoughts, anyone?

Lori

Forum regular
I think it would be a good idea if some combat techniques from the renaissance fechtbuechen were implemented, but with added speed and vigour to reflect Geralt's abilities as a witcher. Techniques from these 'fight-books' (such as the famous Talhoffer for example) are very efficient and brutal and I believe it would fit in very well with the game.

Obviously the devs don't read everything but which threads do they monitor? do they just casually look at what's on top or do they frequent the wishlist thread.

I fear that some of the cool ideas in normal threads don't get seen which sucks.

On the topic of animations, I think Geralt should have a running jump meaning he'd jump farther as he's running. We should also have a downward slash while jumping, it added a lot to Dark Souls boss combat not to mention it looks awesome.

We could even have stuff like this where Geralt climbs nearby objects to be able to do the jumping attack like this,

I don't really like how AC3 does their animations I think they hold your hand to much. Dragons Dogma looks like a good peg for this but I haven't played it though.

Here is a demo of what I'm meaning when I speak of fluid animations... enjoy watching the main character moves in this video, especially from minute 2:38

I expect CDproject to do much better than that anyway !

watchdogs

Since everybody is talking so much about jumping, climbing and new animations, i just wanted to drop by to remind you that in the Game Informer article, under one screenshot, the desciption reads as following:

"Geralt now boasts a jump, letting him traverse the massive landscapes without having to use a scripted animation at every tiny vertical break."

So yeah they are working on it.

-Geralt carving animation (would be bad ass and immersive)like Monster Hunter games from PSP & Wii
no more just clicking that brown bag you actually have to carve the creature to get the ingredients maybe there could be an extra gruesome animation for getting trophies from the carcass
-Geralt foraging animation while we're at it

seamusgod said:
although sensible interaction with the environment, including clambering and climbing over obstacles would enrich the atmosphere.
I'd like to stress it wouldn't just be about atmosphere, but about making environmental navigation 8and consequentially even dungeon design) way more diversified and interesting on the long run.

Kallelinski said:
How about no? ^^

[media]http://youtu.be/8gIsYuPIKco?t=34s[/media]
Read below the video here please http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/22/capturing-the-animations-and-combat-for-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt.aspx

It is worth noting that the model of Triss in the video is from The Witcher 2 and that the woman in the suit is not her actress, but just a volunteer from the studio.

Agent_Blue

Avydia1 said:
Here is a demo of what I'm meaning when I speak of fluid animations... enjoy watching the main character moves in this video, especially from minute 2:38

I expect CDproject to do much better than that anyway !

watchdogs

Looks great.

Top Bottom