Witcher 3 at once super slow

+
I've been playing Witcher 3 for a while and from one day to the other the gameplay becomes unplayably slow. Starting the game and the menu works fine, but as soon as the save (any save for that matter) loads, it becomes laggy as all hell.

Now, this is the same description of problem this user had here https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/the-witcher-3-massive-lag.10998280/#post-11401939
The issue there was a plugged in HDMI cable where the port was directly connected to the graphics card (or so I've understood).
I don't have HDMI cables attached to my computer, but I did find the perpetrator: It's the Citrix Workspace App (for windows, since I'm using Windows 10) which I use to access a work computer from home (https://www.citrix.com/de-de/downloads/workspace-app/windows/workspace-app-for-windows-latest.html). Installed, Geralt doesn't want to do a step, uninstalled, Geralt runs like the wind (whether the app runs or not funnily enough doesn't make a difference). My layperson's diagnosis would be that Citrix is somehow claiming the graphics card/disabling other programs to use the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060). Looking at the Device Manager, I see that Citrix installs a "Citrix Indirect Display Adapter" which I suspect to have something to do with the whole carfuffle.

So, me being not a very versed IT-person and also looking for a solution where I don't have to remove the Citrix app to slay drowners, I hope that someone in this forum would either know this issue and have a solution or maybe knows what is going on with this Citrix app and how to solve that issue.

Thank you very much in advance!

I've been playing Witcher 3 for a while and from one day to the other the gameplay becomes unplayably slow. Starting the game and the menu works fine, but as soon as the save (any save for that matter) loads, it becomes laggy as all hell.

Now, this is the same description of problem this user had here https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/the-witcher-3-massive-lag.10998280/#post-11401939
The issue there was a plugged in HDMI cable where the port was directly connected to the graphics card (or so I've understood).
I don't have HDMI cables attached to my computer, but I did find the perpetrator: It's the Citrix Workspace App (for windows, since I'm using Windows 10) which I use to access a work computer from home (https://www.citrix.com/de-de/downloads/workspace-app/windows/workspace-app-for-windows-latest.html). Installed, Geralt doesn't want to do a step, uninstalled, Geralt runs like the wind (whether the app runs or not funnily enough doesn't make a difference). My layperson's diagnosis would be that Citrix is somehow claiming the graphics card/disabling other programs to use the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060). Looking at the Device Manager, I see that Citrix installs a "Citrix Indirect Display Adapter" which I suspect to have something to do with the whole carfuffle.

So, me being not a very versed IT-person and also looking for a solution where I don't have to remove the Citrix app to slay drowners, I hope that someone in this forum would either know this issue and have a solution or maybe knows what is going on with this Citrix app and how to solve that issue.

Thank you very much in advance!
What I would do is look to see if it is running as a Service and if it is then you could just turn it off to play the game and turn it back on again when you are done (or reboot the computer)

What I would do is look to see if it is running as a Service and if it is then you could just turn it off to play the game and turn it back on again when you are done (or reboot the computer)
Thank you very much for your input! I haven't had checked the depths of the taskmanager. I disabled anything with citrix in its name, stopped the automatic startup when booting, restarted the whole system - however the problem remains, although nothing related to Citrix should be running.
Unless of course this sneaky app runs services that don't refer to the company, which would make it impossible for me to discern those services form any other given service running.

Do you maybe have another idea where the problem could lie?

Did you also ask in the Citrix forums?
Judging from a quick google search it seems like the that app is sometimes causing problems for games in general.

Did you install the Citrix app through the Microsoft Store or differently? In some cases it sounds as if the Microsoft Store version works better with games, but I have no experience with this program, so not sure...

What I meant was looking to see if it also ran as a Service. Type in Services into the Search on your Task Bar and in the upper left you should see "Services" app link. Click on that and look to see if there are any Citrix services running and turn them off or set to disable it from booting with the system, reboot and then try to play the game. Sometimes even though you turn off things in Task Manager if the Service is still running in the background then it may just restart things you shut down. I don't know for sure it runs as a Service but being a remote desktop application most likely it does. When you need to use it just go back into Services and start it back up

Top Bottom