Witcher 3 crashes PC/to Desktop in specific areas (reproducable... but also they "vanishes" over time)

+
Hi,

I have a problem. Playing Witcher 3 (again) and have some issues I had years ago (on a different PC btw). Sometimes, when I enter an area, the monitors went black and the PC locks completely. Only way is to press reset and restart Windows. These crashes are reproducable, means, that when I load a savegame, and enter that area again, the PC crashes again. Sometimes the game just crashes to desktop. BUT also this problem disappears over time, meaning, that when I quest somewhere else, the area is - later - accessable.

The first area I had problems with was in Velen, Devils Pit. The second I reached the gate, the PC crashed. Later, after i finished some quests somewhere else, a quest led me to that area (could'nt possibly do that level because of the needed character level, but I wanted to check if the bug is still there, because it would be bad if this would lead to a unsolvable quest). I was able to enter the Pit, but then the PC crashed again when I came close to the dungeon entrance.).

I quested again somewhere else and now I found another area this happens: the small island south of Fyke Island. There are three chests in the water. 1 with the gear receipe, another one right next to it and the third is a quest chest (quest given by the corps that is lying on that island). I'm able to drive my ship over that area, but the game/PC crashes whenever I try to dive down there.

when the screen turnes green, the game crashes back to desktop

I have/use mods, but this problem stays with and without mods, in fact, I had no mods running during the first crashes... and for the video no Mods are used and also game is not started via steam

System:
Windows 10 Build 18363 (moist recent)
Most recent AMD Chipset-Drivers
AMD 2700x on MSI x470 Gaming M7 AC (no OC)
16 Gig DDR4 Ram (no OC)
Sapphire 5700xt Pulse (no OC), Drivers 20.1.1

Background-Soft:
Logitech G Hub
Killer Control Center
Display Fusion
Steam (Overlay is activated, but crash also happens when Overlay is deactivated)

File integrity: checked
deinstalled/reinstalled: checked
No third party antivirus that could be the problem: checked

Help pls

EDIT: why does the crashinfo-files have 2020-00-17 as date? shouldn't it be 2020-01-18? and why is also the hour timestamp wrong?

witcher3_bla.png

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    99.7 KB · Views: 91
  • witcher3.exe_crash_20200015_031019131.crashinfo.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 76
  • witcher3.exe_crash_20200017_102214750.crashinfo.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Make sure the steam cloud save feature is disabled, as it sometimes can cause problems.

I have no experience with Logitech G Hub but perhaps playing the game without it is worth a try.

I‘d also monitor CPU/GPU temperatures while playing, just in case.

Also keep in mind that mods can cause problems, even after they are removed. It can be very difficult to get rid of that.

Sorry, but that answer does not help me at all.

It's not a CPU/GPU (because it's a reproducable error ingame and not randomly.), but I checked temps etc: nothing. Also, the crashinfo-files say something about a expection_access_violation.

I also wrote that the crash happened BEFORE I used any mods.

I see no reason why steam cloud save could be an issue when the game crashes when Steam isn't even started. I even pointed that out.

Luckily, I own the game on Steam AND Gog... I'll install the GoG version asap (1000mbit, should be fast)...
Post automatically merged:

Ok... after installing the GoG-Version and some trial&error I found the problem:

I ran the game on Ultra. To reach the areas I had to set the game on low... do whatever I have to do there and then back to Ultra.

Very strange.

Last edited:
Top Bottom