Witcher 3 crashes randomly for no reason on gtx 680 (not overclocked)

+
You need to tell us a bit more about your computer. CPU, RAM?

Did you install any mods?

Did you check out the recommended TW3 settings from Geforce Experience ? Your computer isn‘t strong, so I‘d be very very careful with the ingame setting. For example, limit the framerate and disable stuff like hairworks. Lowering the resolution could also be a good idea... and so on.

Also you should probably disable all unneccessary apps before launching the game (especially apps with overlay) like Riva Tuner, MSI Afterburner, Uplay and so on.

Sometimes older GPU driver versions (like 399 for Nvidia) work better for this game.

A few good suggestions from support can be found here:
https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/pc/sp-technical/issue/1003/the-game-is-not-launching-2

You can also try verifying the game, if you believe the settings are fine:
https://support.cdprojektred.com/en...ical/issue/649/verify-integrity-of-game-cache

And? Any changes?

So what exactly did you do ? For example regarding the ingame settings?
With what settings are you playing the game?

What exactly happens when the game crashes? Do you have to restart the computer or is it just s normal crash?

Game crashes my pc, after that it reboots itself
hairworks is turned on geralt only
most of the setting are on medium or about ultra
Post automatically merged:

i've found crash logs, how do i post them here?

Last edited:
Crashing the computer sounds like you might be overheating your PC. It would be good if you could monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures while playing and report the temperatures here (for example with freeware like speedfan).

Hairworks is better turned off on this computer and I wouldn’t set anything on ultra. In your case, it might be best to not go at all above medium/low. And you really should limit the framerate to 30. I’d even recommend lowering the resolution a bit, 1920x1080 can sometimes be demanding for a PC like that.

If your CPU is overheating, that might get better with much lower settings. If that doesn’t work, a new thermal paste could be another idea and you could check if your CPU cleaner needs some cleaning...

i've found crash logs, how do i post them here?

You could paste a link to something like pastebin, or just copy-paste the log and surround it in "Spoiler" tags.

*Your logs here.*

But there is definitely an issue with your PC. A restart means that some part of your config is crashing Windows. Most often, that's due to heat, as @devivre mentions above. Borked drivers for your GPU can also be a culprit. A Windows Update could have introduced an issue (quite common if you upgraded to a new OS, as opposed to wiping your drives and doing a clean install of Windows.)

A game will only crash back to Windows if there's a bug or something. A hard-crash, hang, or system restart with error logs is usually caused by the driver / firmware / OS. A system restart without error-logs or a complete power-down will almost invariably be a hardware issue.

Just because other games might work, doesn‘t automatically mean we can exclude the possibility of overheating. Some games stress a PC more than others. As someone who had that issue once I can tell you this.

Certain areas in TW3 are more demanding than others, so that still doesn't rule out overheating for me. I still do recommend experimenting with lower settings. And don't forget to close all nonessential background applications.

In case you still don't want to investigate that idea, you could also install older GPU drivers and see how that goes (I already suggested version 399, for example).

If you haven't done that already, perhaps reinstall visual c++ (see the link from before for download links: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/pc/sp-technical/issue/1003/the-game-is-not-launching-2)

You can also try to reinstall DirectX 11 or 12, DirectX 9.0c, .NET Framework and Visual Studio.

Should nothing of that helps and you already tried to verify/repair the game, as suggested, I'm out of ideas. Of course you can still reach out to CDPR support. There's a contact link on the links I mentioned. Here for example: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/pc/sp-technical/issue/992/my-game-crashes-4

i remember that on the beginning of the summer that the game was running very good and i haven't experience a crash back then

Top Bottom