Witcher 3 destroyed my life

+
Hello my name is Jimmy, after a long 200-300 hours of beautifull experience i dont know what to do. Before witcher 3 i played a lot of single player "rpgs" dungeon siege, diablo, gothic, risen, skyrim and oblivion, assassins creed (not sure if that counts as rpg), assassins creed from middle earth. After witcher 3 i feel really empty, my expectations from an rpgs are too high, im so bored when i play other so called rpgs. Its 2 years now and i couldnt play any rpg, i always end up playing some MOBA or CCG just to kill some time. Does anybody feel the same ?

Play Witcher 1 and 2 ;)

If its just needing something to do, I can't recommend the books enough. The audiobooks are great for commutes, or at work if you can get away with it.

I'm only two hours in my new game +, so I can't relate exactly, but I waited a long time to play this one full spec'd on a computer. Definitely worth the wait.

If you want a video game recommendation, have you played Drakensang: The River of Time?

Others: Deus Ex, Arx Fatalis, Might and Magic: Dark Messiah. First Person, but they'll all stick with you like Witcher 3. You might replace Dark Messiah with Dishonored, sense you like Assassins Creed. Another good rpg is Dragon Age: Origins.

Last edited:
If you like RPGs with good writing, you might want to try Planescape - Torment or Knights of the Old Republic 2.

I recommend many of those above, and I also recommend the following. They won't capture the cinematic or storytelling brilliance of TW3, but they have their own strengths:

Action / RPG

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (Just don't judge it too harshly, as the execution is a bit flat and the game takes a while to get going...but the combat and gameworld are amazing.)

Dragon's Dogma
(A bit obtuse, probably because of the Japanese translation, but surprisingly deep and really satisfying.)

Shadow of Mordor (Mostly action, but the Nemesis system deserves a cookie and a medal.)

Mount and Blade (But of course, everyone has already played M&B to death...right? ;) If not, I recommend the original Warband. Warband 2 is on its way, but the new releases from Telltale have a tendency to be Bethesda-levels of buggy. With Fire and Sword is also really great, but much more slow-paced in execution.)

Classic RPG:

Divinity: Original Sin (Just brilliant.)

Pillars of Eternity (Nothing mind-blowing, but a very cool world and excellent, complex combat.)

Serpent in the Staglands (It's really different and engaging. Combat is old-school, RNG to a fault, but like old-school, once you level up a bit, it's much more manageable.)

Hidden Gem RPGs:

The Spiderweb Games (I especially recommend Avernum: Escape from the Pit or Avadon: The Black Fortress to start. No frills, basic graphics...and some of the best writing in gaming. Easily on par with Bioware / CDPR storytelling.)

Balrum (An Ultima-like / Minecraft-like game that I keep coming back to. Not for everyone, but really cool.)

Legend of Grimrock (In the spirit of the old Might and Magic / Wizardry games. Very engaging, but no story to speak of, really. Just a dungeon-crawler done right.)

Just great games:

Freeman: Guerilla Warfare
(In-dev game which is basically M&B in the modern era. With mortars. And artillery. And airstrikes. Feels like ArmA "lite" in practice. Really great shooting mechanics. Plus, the developers are insane -- there's, like, an update every week.)

Starpoint Gemini 2 (The first one was a hot mess; the second one is very polished. Story is ho-hum, and frankly, I use the option to play without it. The rest of the gameplay is fantastic. It's almost the perfect marriage of Freelancer and Starfleet Command.)

Stonehearth (Still in-dev but very playable. It's a "casual" Dwarf Fortress done with inescapable charm. Can be buggy.)

hang in there, bro. Cyberpunk 2077 is coming right up. Just couple of decades, alright?

More like a couple of years at worst, maybe next year with some luck. Fortunately, the suggestions already made should be plenty enough until then. :)

Guest 3847602

Some games I would recommend were already mentioned, so I'll just add the ones that came out after TW3:

1. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - hands down the best gaming experience I had in past few years (Witcher excluded)
2. Expeditions: Viking
3. Tyranny
4. Dark Souls 3
5. Torment: Tides of Numenera

Last edited by a moderator:
It has changed my life aswell because after the game i consider my life a boring piece e shiet. I literally had a depression when i completed the game. Best game ever made cdpr i bow before you.

I feel the same. Only I have 600 hours on Witcher 3. I almost stopped playing games. Games with rare exceptions don't taste the same anymore. After Witcher 3 the only new games I played were Uncharted 4 and Nier: Automata. Also I replayed Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Human Revolution. That's fucking it.

I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk, The Last of Us Part II and Resident Evil 2 Remake.

I can totally relate with this one, but it didn't "destroy my life".

When I finished Witcher 3 (DLCs included) I got a little bit of emotional back then. I mean, Witcher 1 was released back in 2007 and since then I played these games once in a while. (w1 = 4 times. w2= 3 or 4 times and w3 1 time). That moment when it all ended and I had final discussion with that one character, it happened: The End. It was finally over and I can tell you I felt SO empty inside. I literally couldn't play anything for the next few weeks. The journey was incredibly amazing, can't deny it. 10 freaking years and so many memories.

Since I'm here now, I think I should thank CD Project RED for all this. Never done it before so here we go: Thank you! <3

Try new God of war its really quality game and only that can compete with Witcher 3 in my opinion,great combat , story and the best graphic in history of games so far, albeit its not RPG with open world and not really long game compared to Witcher, its really great experience.

I felt the same, I read the books, bought and played W1 and W2 and even got the comics.
I jumped in to a string of other RPGs, but I just wasn't satisfied for quite some time. Eventually I did find a few games that had great stories, but nothing that comes close to the Witcher story.

TW3 is different things to different people. You probably won't find anything like it though because it successfully blends a bunch of video game genres in one. If you liked the role-playing aspects in the game and don't mind less mind-blowing graphics and bird's eye (top down) perspective, you should definitely try some of Obsidian's and InXile's recent cRPG's: Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, etc. If you don't mind old-school games, do yourself a favor and play Planescape: Torment and the Baldur's Gate series. I am not kidding when I say these games surpass TW3 in role-playing, but beware they lack the amazing 3D graphics and the exciting close combat. They require lots of reading and combat is very tactical (turn/pause based).

@SigilFey gave you very good recommendations as well but I disagree on one thing :p. Divinity OS is a very fun game but has (in my opinion) possibly one of the stupidest campaigns/storylines with horrendous, cringe worthy writing. Pillars of Eternity has very interesting background lore that is well explained in the expansions, very decent writing, serviceable story and great RP mechanics that combine and refine the best of all Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Torment, Icewind Dale).

The point being, TW3 is an amazing game overall but, if interested, you can actually find much better computer RPG's.

Hey Bro! I know an RPG which can fill the emptiness inside you! I think it is better then all mentioned above: get the f@k out from your room and live your own life! You can get used to it after a few hours. Maybe sometimes it is hard as hell but belive me: you can find some NPCs out there who can help through the hard parts, can fill your emptiness and give you an unforgettable gameplay ;)

...possibly one of the stupidest campaigns/storylines with horrendous, cringe worthy writing.

But...but...that's the point! :p The entire Divinity line has been campy comedy. They're the Army of Darkness or Red Dwarf of the cRPG world. That being said, I can see why players not expecting it might pick it up and be, like: "...what the @#$% is this?" I love it for the combat mechanics. I have rarely had so much fun with literally every single battle. (And I've only played about halfway through. [Adds a note to page 143 of the gaming to-do list...])

Some others:

Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven (You'll likely have to swallow the graphical pill, but it's a game that keeps getting better the longer you play. For a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler, it's got a ton of variety and depth.)

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (Not quite RPG, but it scratches many of the same itches. It's basically a reboot of Master of Magic, and it's nearly perfect. Age of Wonders 3 is pretty good, but Shadow Magic is just too magnificently balanced not to hold the crown, in my opinion.)

Top Bottom