Witcher 3 destroyed my life

+
But...but...that's the point! :p The entire Divinity line has been campy comedy. They're the Army of Darkness or Red Dwarf of the cRPG world. That being said, I can see why players not expecting it might pick it up and be, like: "...what the @#$% is this?" I love it for the combat mechanics. I have rarely had so much fun with literally every single battle. (And I've only played about halfway through. [Adds a note to page 143 of the gaming to-do list...])

Sure, I can see where you're going but Divinity OS is more than campy, silly and absurd: the main plot itself is often incoherent and the dialogue/writing is simply atrocious. Most cRPG's have campy and tacky writing, but we tolerate it because it sort of comes with the genre. In this game I had to force myself to read most of the text and it was a painful experience. I don't know how to explain it, imagine it was written either by 12 year olds with a thesaurus or by non-native English speakers with perfect grammar but an incomplete grasp of semantics and phrases. I still clocked around 100 hours so the game is good. The combat and exploration mechanics are so much fun that you can essentially wander around looking for encounters and puzzles, with only a basic idea of the plot as to know where to go next. But then again I am the kind of player that actually reads the text so my standards/expectations tend to be high.

I heard Div OS 2 is better in every way though.

the funny thing is after The Witcher 3 there came Metal Gear Solid 5 with the atrocious sidequests :D there couldn't be a worse timing. Was really disappointed. The disappointment of a century! In the Witcher 3 every sidequest is gold! can't compare to any game. I even think RDR2 will not surpass TW3 in the Story department. So i say its very good that we feel a good game and can see the bad games now. More money for more good games.

After playing and completing this masterpiece of a game twice, and then finishing the excelent Heart of stone, I decided to take a break and return later to blood and wine.
Yesterday I finished Persona 5 after 104 hours and today started Horizon Zero Dawn, I'm 10 hours in and oh boy! Everything feels so lackluster after playing Witcher 3.
Persona 5 while a great game, it's story never lived up to how awesome witcher 3 was, and while horizon is a great game, the facial animations, man.....they leave so much to be desired. Witcher got so much of that stuff right.
Witcher 3 you have ruined me, and I am now thinking to go back and play blood and wine now. Great game.

Try new Assasins Creed Odyssey.It has things that make Witcher 3 great.

It has huge map , very beautiful world ,great story , good combat , tons of side quests , tons of locations to explore, you can travel by horse, you can sail with ship and do naval battles ,you can use Ikaros eagle to fly .

Those 2 are my favorite games of all time honestly.

I can't do it either. I've already played the witcher games several times. 1-3, and as we all know, the first time you played was the best high you experienced, each playthrough after is not quite the same effect. the only other thing I've ever played that I enjoyed as much was the mass effect and dragon age series. I try to play other games but I get frustrated and bored and just give up on most of them. I finished TW3 back in late 2015 so this has been going on for 3 years with me. I play multiplayer in a couple games as time killer now too. Occasionally a game will grab my attention for a moment, like the shadow of war and shadow of Mordor. still, not quite the same though. I might try some of the games recommended here but I just lose hope knowing Geralt's story is over and all the people I grew to love through him.

It was my favorite series and my favorite protagonist in all my gaming years.

Last edited:
Hello my name is Jimmy, after a long 200-300 hours of beautifull experience i dont know what to do. Before witcher 3 i played a lot of single player "rpgs" dungeon siege, diablo, gothic, risen, skyrim and oblivion, assassins creed (not sure if that counts as rpg), assassins creed from middle earth. After witcher 3 i feel really empty, my expectations from an rpgs are too high, im so bored when i play other so called rpgs. Its 2 years now and i couldnt play any rpg, i always end up playing some MOBA or CCG just to kill some time. Does anybody feel the same ?
Hey jimmy. Try either Witcher 2, it’s on Xbox one, or Red Dead Redemption 2

I can't do it either. I've already played the witcher games several times. 1-3, and as we all know, the first time you played was the best high you experienced, each playthrough after is not quite the same effect. the only other thing I've ever played that I enjoyed as much was the mass effect and dragon age series. I try to play other games but I get frustrated and bored and just give up on most of them. I finished TW3 back in late 2015 so this has been going on for 3 years with me. I play multiplayer in a couple games as time killer now too. Occasionally a game will grab my attention for a moment, like the shadow of war and shadow of Mordor. still, not quite the same though. I might try some of the games recommended here but I just lose hope knowing Geralt's story is over and all the people I grew to love through him.

It was my favorite series and my favorite protagonist in all my gaming years.

Same here, Mass Effect and the DA series helped fill the void a lot. We seem to have similar tastes. Another one that filled the void for a time was the new Tomb Raider series, you might give that series a try.

I have just started playing TW3 again. I plan on giving Kingdom Come Deliverance a go next in the hope it will fill the void. I played a couple of multiplayer games with friends, but I was pretty bored with them solo when no one was around. Since we seem to have similar tastes if you find something let us know, I'll be checking in on this thread. I am hoping Cyberpunk will be as special as the TW series.

Same here, Mass Effect and the DA series helped fill the void a lot.

Part of why I love having such a wide love of gaming. When I start to feel like, "That was awesome...everything else is boring now..." I'll usually switch to a completely different genre for a while. Dig into some Strategy or Simulations, perhaps. There are so many enthralling games out there.

Just bought my youngest nephew Kerbal Space Program...and now I'm getting the urge to dig into it again. And don't forget to look further back! Heck -- Jagged Alliance 2. Don't think I've ever recommended that to someone that likes Strategy or RPG that hasn't loved it. Hard as bleep. And, then, as soon as you think you've got a handle on it: "Sushi!"

nother one that filled the void for a time was the new Tomb Raider series, you might give that series a try.

I've played those except for shadow of the tomb raider, they're not too bad. I am eyeing kingdom come deliverance as well. I may have to take sigilfey's advice and branch into other genre's and see if I can find something I enjoy there, I have mostly stuck to RPG's the last few years with some exceptions here and there. Anyone know the cast of the new Thronebreaker game? It looks like it's mostly a card game but looks to have cutscenes and story as well. I would be more interested in it if it has some familiar characters i really like, like Geralt, triss, yen and even Zoltan and Dandelion, Vesimir, maybe even Iorveth, Roche(after playing HOS again recently i've also come to like Olgierd a lot as a character). Or is it just mostly focused on Queen Meve and her inner circle?

A few days ago I saw a comment under a witcher video on youtube which exactly describes my situation. Copyin it as it is :

" This game pretty much single handedly ruined gaming for me. After finishing it... nothing else is even interesting to me. I've tried about 4-5 new games and quit them almost immediately because they were nowhere near as good as W3. The world, the story, the DLC, the characters.... it just did everything perfect imo. Hopefully I will be able to get into something else, but for right now... W3 is just too good. It literally destroyed every single player game in existence. "

I don't need to add anything else. That's why, when people ask me if Witcher 3 is that good, should they buy it, play it, I say no. I don't recommend it to anyone because of this end result. It is a real problem for people who like gaming, and play games regularly. I don't want anyone else end up like me, not enjoying enough other games. I recently finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which is a beautiful game, has a beautiful world and combat and everything but the story, and the depth of the characters, choices and decisions are nowhere near TW3. After TW3, all those kind of games fail to impress me which is "not good" (insert Geralt's voice here) I'm so glad I played Skyrim long before I played Witcher 3 so I totally enjoyed it so much.

When I first played TW3, I was waiting for Assassin's Creed Origins to be released (the game before AC Odyssey), I was bored and my brother kept telling me why don't you play the witcher why why and I was like ok I will give it a try. I wasn't interested in monsters and fantasy so Witcher seemed "meh" to me in those days. Still, when I saw it on sale on Steam, got it and installed, started playing, went in a wrong place too early I guess, (The first boss fight - Nithral) I died several times, I hated it, all that potions, signs, gear crafting etc seemed too confusing and a hassle to me, it was too hard on normal difficulty lol. Meanwhile AC Origins was released so I abandoned the Witcher. After I finished AC Origins, I was bored again and decided to give a second chance to Witcher and that was it. Once I figured out how to proceed in game and how to manage stuff, I was a Witcher fan already, not knowing it would ruin "gaming" for me for the rest of my life I guess. My only hope is someday, some people are going to make a more impressive and awesome game...

Also, We definitely need a Witcher 4 sometime. Idk why they don't want to do it. They must.

Last edited:
Well, after I finally finished Witcher 3 I decided to start the trek all over again and I'm reworking through Witcher and when I'm done I plane to continue to Witcher 2. I've also been buying the books. I just can't get enough of Geralt of Rivia.

Anyone know the cast of the new Thronebreaker game? It looks like it's mostly a card game but looks to have cutscenes and story as well. I would be more interested in it if it has some familiar characters i really like, like Geralt, triss, yen and even Zoltan and Dandelion, Vesimir, maybe even Iorveth, Roche(after playing HOS again recently i've also come to like Olgierd a lot as a character). Or is it just mostly focused on Queen Meve and her inner circle?

I played it. I loved the story (lots of cut scenes), it was much longer than I expected. When I read the books I found Queen Meve to be an interesting character so I was keen to learn more about her. You do get to encounter Geralt and a few others, but they are very brief. There are references to other characters, but I found the card battles tedious towards the end of the game.

Still worth picking up for Witcher world fans, just for the in depth Meve story alone, in my opinion. If you are just a Geralt fan then probably not a lot in it for you.

Hahaha, I feel the same after Counter-Strike 1.6 :D I just don't see another shooter that can replace it. The same as LOST the TV series :D Everyone was saying ... "heyyyy, LOST is sh*t compared to Game of Thrones" - so I started watching in it... and was like "hmmm.... okay, I'll go outside":D
So, I want to play more The Witcher 3, but at the same time... I'm scared that it will ruin the other games :S

Well, I like "Divinity 2: The Director's Cut".
Skyrim, Oblivion & Morrowind are still fun.
If it's story depth and variety and you can stand the outdated graphics, take a look at Neverwinter Nights ... the official storyline is OK, but mods like "The Bastard of Kosigan", "A Dance With Rogues", and "Sands of Fate" are so much better than the original game's story arc.
And ... thinking about it, they're all like bad fan fiction after you've played Witcher 3! :-\ Yeah, I guess we're all ruined.

This is my opinion and yours may be different.

I don't know why and you guys will think i am crazy but i prefer easy games like Assassin's Creed but The Witcher 3 is the only game where i like to play on Death March. The hardest fight was this crazy immortal guy in Hearts of Stone. So now comes the crazy part. I started playing Witcher 2 on normal and i suck but when i start Witcher 3 on Death March i can play it. Really funny. Main reason is because Geralt can't evade like in the third game and everything is clunky. This bothers me because the third game made me a big fan but someday i will play it on the hardest difficulty too.

The other thing i want to share is that you guys should try Dragon Quest 8 and 11. They have an open world(joke open world after Red Dead 2 haha) but the main storys are really masterpiece! Nothing cinematic like Witcher 3 but good old cutscenes. Not Dragon Quest 4-6 and 9 but they are good too. Its like Zelda would have the best main Story ever with JRPG touch. Every Dragon Quest Game has another fairytale story about dragons, trees, heritage, demons but sidequests are a joke compared to Witcher 3 so beware :D Mass Effect 1-3 i can also recommend.

Assassin's Creed Origins i play mainly for the quests, graphics and landscape but the main story in Red Dead Redemption 2 destroys Origins so hard in my opinion but the tedious walking, horse riding, animations can drag too much unfortunately. Horse riding in Witcher 3 is really miles better as in RDR2 because i don't like butten mashing and autopilot.

My only games which come close to Witcher 3 are in terms of Main Story are the Dragon Quest Games and Red Dead Redemption 2. Sidequests are like on a whole other league in Witcher 3 don't even try. Also i like the more challenging difficulty in the beginning but later on Death March its too easy but then comes the Heart of Stone oh boy. Landscapes i like in Assassin's Creed the most. Don't hate me :D

I like also the Bethesda Games but boy i can't play Skyrim after Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redmeption 2 but the caves and your own story are still very good in Skyrim. I also like Game of Thrones and other series with swords so.

I can also play Doom and have more fun as in Red Dead Redemption 2 sometimes.

This game is really good. I preferred only Bethesda style games such as TES and FO before playing it, so I never played TW3 in 2015 then. I'm playing it nowadays, so the mind is being changed, which makes me look forward to buying CP77 as well.

" This game pretty much single handedly ruined gaming for me. After finishing it... nothing else is even interesting to me.
So true. Everyone is going crazy for games like God of War, Spider-Man, Resident Evil 2 remake, RDR2, whatever else is there. And I'm just bored out of my mind by them all. Worlds are boring. Writing is weak for the most part. And even gameplay doesn't bring anything interesting to compensate dullness. Automata was a nice break, but that's about it.
Also, We definitely need a Witcher 4 sometime. Idk why they don't want to do it. They must.
Yes, we need more Witcher games, but they should come from the right place. From desire to make another one. If it's out of obligation, it will feel routine and uninspired. Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Souls series and other... All of them were drained at some point and began to feel hollow.

So...I've come to the party very late.... but this is what The Witcher 3 did to me. [SPOILERS]....;

I never read any of the books, or played W1/2, but I love RPGs and The Witcher series had sort of been on my radar for many years.

A couple of years ago I got The Witcher 3 as a Steam-gift (with all the extras and DLCs), but I never started playing it... I had heard the reviews were good (very good) but back then I only installed it and did a couple of tutorial quests before letting it collect dust in my library, meaning to come back to it later...

A few weeks ago I finally sat down and started playing it for real.. and after a few hours I was completely hooked. Hooked on a video game like I've never been before..... I am not quite sure how it happened, but by the time I was in the Bloody Baron questline I was completely immersed in the world and story. I remember entering Velen for the first time looking out over the vast landscape from Hanged Man's Tree and feeling a true sense of wonder, of adventure. I wasn't playing Geralt; I was Geralt.

Fast-forward to now, and I've just wrapped up the last quest in Blood and Wine, and returned home to Corvo Bianco... and as Yennefer turned around and gave me a hug I actually had tears coming down my face (and not for the first time in the game). How is this possible? It's a video game.. right?.. But it's not. It's a work of art!

And it took me on such a long and strange journey giving me feelings of joy and sorrow, wonder and melancholy along the way. Like the feeling of emptiness inside I had walking around Kaer Morhen after the main (non-DLC) quest-line had finished, or the feeling of loss after the battle of Kaer Morhen. The feeling of dread on the Isle of Mist... It's like the good book you just don't want to put down after reading the last sentence; the story and world that sticks with you for a (long) time after it's over.

So, thank you, CDPR, for this amazing experience. The visuals, the world, the music, the story, the voice-acting... everything. Making this was obviously a labour of love, and it shows. You deserve all the accolades you've received and more.

And I have a feeling letting go will be hard.... but one must try. I watched the 10-year anniversary video today and got emotional (again).. what a sap this game made me....:cry:

From what I've seen on these forums I'm hardly alone in some of these thoughts, so greetings to all the rest of the fans. And hopefully other games will be enjoyable as well, even though Witcher 3 will be the standard to which every other (RP) video game will be measured from now on.. for me, at least.

"Onward, Roach!"

Top Bottom