Witcher 3 destroyed my life

+
The Witcher 1 was really just a meme of a game, atrocious really. Witcher 2 and 3 on the other hand, are really good. Definitely read the books aswell.

Honestly, I'd say you need to seek new kinds of experiences. I loved the Witcher series, but the game world is so massive with so many different kinds of adventures that I personally would get bored only playing one kind of game. Hell, there's a ton of diversity just within RPGs. If I'm not trying to do that whole "lost in another world" thing, I got games like Dark Souls or Bloodborne for something more visceral, Final Fantasy for something familiar and safe, or the entire indie game sphere and all the goodies to discover there. Don't sell yourself short.

Normally I would say, go out, spend some time with people but recent couple of years just proved to me that people are like games from EA... Boring, shallow and you won't get anywhere without micro transactions...

Guest 3847602

I will admit enjoying TW1 more, overall, than DA:O. But the first Dragon Age was really welcome at that point.
I feel the same, but I always wondered what would have happened if DA:O was first to come out.
Even though it's probably the darkest game BW ever made, it still feels so lighthearted and naive compared to TW1. Like it tries to be heavy and mature, but my brain keeps telling me: "like hell you are". I'm not sure I'd feel that way without The Witcher.

Actually, I am still on my first playthrough of Witcher 3. I can't make myself finish it. :sneaky:
Blood and Wine expansion, to be fair, so I've completed main quest of Witcher 3.
But still. ;) Savouring my experience and guess I'll complete the game prior CB2077 release so there will be no withdrawal effects. :LOL:

To OP, play these games:
Knights of the old Republic 1 and 2.
You mentioned Gothic, but what about Risen trilogy as well as Elex? They will suck you in.
Wasteland 2.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
Original Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.

Just off the top of me head. :giggle:

I feel the same, but I always wondered what would have happened if DA:O was first to come out.
Even though it's probably the darkest game BW ever made, it still feels so lighthearted and naive compared to TW1. Like it tries to be heavy and mature, but my brain keeps telling me: "like hell you are". I'm not sure I'd feel that way without The Witcher.

I think The Witcher would have achieved its fame simply due to the extremely unique setting, world, and lore. As I played it the first time, I remember thinking, "Wow..." constantly from beginning to end. Suprising lore, really different monsters, deep mechanics...

It wasn't perfect, even downright clunky and awkward in places, but it was so unique and refreshing. And the music was just perfect. (Plus, while the voice acting in English was pretty horrible initially, the Polish was leaps and bounds above most other RPGs at the time.)

(y)

Must play this one. Only fiddled with a bit of the combat on a buddy's Xbox. But it was the cooooool...

Aye, you must! Kingdom Come: Deliverance is incredible! :giggle:
I have about 107 hours of fiddling around, sneaking, hunting, sidequesting, and treasure hunting. :giggle:
I've levelled by picking flowers and haggling. So I'm good at picking flowers and haggling. :ROFLMAO:
If I'm attacked by someone who can actually fence and not just swing their weapon around I'm in trouble.
I've done maybe four quests in main storyline. Then I just walked out the door and explored the world.
Lord Hanush, Lord Hans, Sir Bernard, Lord Radzig and the Friar are still at the castle waiting for my report.
Well they can wait. First I waited for all extra DLC and adventures to be released. Well they've been released. Now I'm waiting to build my rig. And yet, 107 hours played! :D

EDIT:

I will admit enjoying TW1 more, overall, than DA:O. But the first Dragon Age was really welcome at that point.

I remember waiting for Dragon Age: Origins when I stumbled upon Risen.
Literally stumbling upon it as I've never heard of it, even if I've played all Gothic-games.
2009. What a year of stumbling over great games it was.
It started with me stumbling over Witcher 1 the 14th of February.

And yes, Witcher 1 is a great game! To each their own of course, but surely they can't ignore the story, the music, the atmosphere, the detailed world and lore. The Griggs! :giggle:

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

I think The Witcher would have achieved its fame simply due to the extremely unique setting, world, and lore. As I played it the first time, I remember thinking, "Wow..." constantly from beginning to end. Suprising lore, really different monsters, deep mechanics...

It wasn't perfect, even downright clunky and awkward in places, but it was so unique and refreshing. And the music was just perfect. (Plus, while the voice acting in English was pretty horrible initially, the Polish was leaps and bounds above most other RPGs at the time.)
Yeah, I agree with everything, for me just seeing KM prologue on youtube was enough to give the game a chance, and I fell absolutely in love with it even before I left the Outskirts. The atmosphere and ambient music was that good. Plus, the gameplay and alchemy is also something I loved more than most people did, apparently.
I can count on one hand the games that resonate with me as strongly and as early as TW1 did.
My point was mainly about DA:O, a fantastic game by any metric, that never managed to properly click with me and I suspect my exposure to The Witcher is the culprit.
Post automatically merged:

I've done maybe four quests in main storyline.
And yet, 107 hours played! :D

That's impressive, I was at about 120h with everything done in the main game (and all skills maxed out).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I agree with everything, for me just seeing KM prologue on youtube was enough to give the game a chance, and I fell absolutely in love with it even before I left the Outskirts.
My point was mainly about DA:O, a fantastic game by any metric, that never managed to properly click with me and I suspect my exposure to The Witcher is the culprit.
Post automatically merged:

That's impressive, I was at about 120h with everything done in the main game (and all skills maxed out).

Then I'll surely hit 200+ :giggle:
I love to savour my games. Right now I'm savouring ELEX.

I'll be finishing my game of Divinity Original Sin soon, The Witcher is up next. This will be my 2nd playthrough.

I'm not a fan of Open World Games but I don't know why I can't stop play TW3. Every time I completed a quest, the voice in my head usually told me, just like "Hey, there's a side quest nearby. Why don't you go visit before dinner?"

I played A Plague's Tale last month and it was pretty good. Took my mind off of resenting the fact that we won't be seeing another witcher game anytime soon, or at least definitely not a geralt game. I still hate most of the games I've tried since finishing the witcher 3. It's not an open world though, but it has a great setting and it tries to jerk your feelings around I think if you're into that sort of thing, I personally liked the MC of A Plague's Tale. It's got a nice little story about a girl and her brother, no combat though really to speak of, a little I suppose but it's mostly story telling and navigation with some tools for your sling shot to help you along the way and get past enemies. It's just released on GOG now too.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate if this thread was called "The Witcher 3 ruined games for me"?

Seriously, each time I read the title of this thread, I keep thinking that The Witcher 3 eloped with the OP's girlfriend or something.

Top Bottom