Witcher 3 & DirectX 12?

+
Witcher 3 & DirectX 12?

Hello CD Projekt Red,

Are there any plans to include the DirectX 12 support in future patches? (please please please ;-) )

Best Regards!

Last edited:
It could be very nice and good, or very bad, assuming if they mess up DX12 implementation. And end up with a broken game, for both DX12 and DX11. That could be a mess. So, no. The game is one of the best looking games that is very well optimized and plays like a charm.

Hello CD Projekt Red,

Are there any plans to include the DirectX 12 support in future patches? (please please please ;-) )

No DX12 please. Enough of this lock-in. They should release it with Vulkan support. But I doubt they would. They are done with developing TW3.

Guest 2364765

Hello CD Projekt Red,

Best Regards!
No, because officially GOTY patch on 30th of August is last patch for the game. No new content or features are planned.

Is there even any actual case of where DX12 has been added in post where it has yielded any real benefit?

It seems to have flopped, overall. Haven't heard of anything major flaunting DirectX 12 as a feature. Couple of games here and there on Steam. To be honest, I don't see much of a difference.

Not sure if it's just glitchy and still being worked on, very complicated to take full advantage of, or just a lot of hype for something that doesn't deliver anything meaningful.

@SigilFey: Major engines like Unreal didn't release Vulkan support yet, but it's coming in the near future. Then you'll see more games taking advantage of that.

The Witcher 3's engine is the UMBRA 3, am I right? This is the CDPR proprietary, right? I think vulkan is out of question as it is a brand new API and we all know Witcher 3 isn't an openGL game. Converting it to Vulkan would be painfull. But! DX12 is a more viable option as it's similar to DX11 but with some deeper controls over the hardware (based on dolphin's DX12 backend reports from devs). This would alow that nice fire effect from trailers for instance and would help a lot with troubles with bottleneck over CPU (as this game is very CPU intensive)

If I should make some assumptions over what they will include in this path I would say that it would be a brand new UI (again, because the new one makes things easy to read but is alfully slow... text take too much time to apear because fade in effects), some more tweaks to gameplay, maybe higher def assets for those lots of VRAM and DX12 to increase performance on weak CPUs.

Can't wait to see if i'm right :D

The Witcher 3's engine is the UMBRA 3, am I right? This is the CDPR proprietary, right?

Umbra is a distance culling library, it's not related to graphics API (in fact Umbra itself works fine on Linux). So the fact that TW3 uses Umbra doesn't mean it can't use Vulkan or OpenGL at the same time.

Umbra is developed by a Finnish company, it's not owned by CDPR. See http://umbra3d.com

Converting it to Vulkan would be painfull. But! DX12 is a more viable option as it's similar to DX11

That's incorrect. DX12 has nothing to do with DX11, despite similar looking name. Rewriting the engine of TW3 in Vulkan would be same level of difficulty as rewriting it in DX12, because DX12 is architecturally very similar to Vulkan, in fact both originate directly from AMD's Mantle.

So I'll repeat what I said above. No DX12 please. Enough of this MS lock-in.

Last edited:
Umbra is a distance culling library, it's not related to graphics API (in fact Umbra itself works fine on Linux). So the fact that TW3 uses Umbra doesn't mean it can't use Vulkan or OpenGL at the same time.

I didn't say it was related :D

DX12 has nothing to do with DX11

If it is true, that was a not smart decision. Vulkan picked the smart one: to work with opengl code. But I confess that vulkan and linux suport would be a very very pleasant surprise (last year was filled with rumors* in this field. Maybe this is the time for that to became true)

*http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-wild-hunt-coming-steamos-preorders-live/

If it is true, that was a not smart decision. Vulkan picked the smart one: to work with opengl code

Not really. That's why the didn't call it OpenGL 5. Vulkan is a completely new API, written from scratch. It's not related to OpenGL. If you aren't familiar with the story, it went like this. AMD developed modern API for high performance graphics and compute, and called it Mantle. They expressed an interest to open it up, which meant that eventually Khronos could consider it as a successor to OpenGL. MS got worried that it threatens their lock-in, so they rushed AMD to make MS only variant of that API, and they labeled it DX12. AMD went ahead with the original plan though, and gave Mantle to Khronos, which eventually became Vulkan (word play on Mantle). So both Vulkan and DX12 were basically initiated by AMD. Both are completely different from previous generations of graphics APIs.

---------- Updated at 08:19 PM ----------

What's smart is for developers to avoid MS lock-in and to use cross platform APIs, instead of MS only ones.

---------- Updated at 08:21 PM ----------

Maybe this is the time for that to became true)

*http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-wild-h...reorders-live/

I doubt it. CDPR didn't keep that advertising promise and probably never will. See this thread for details.

Last edited:
What's smart is for developers to avoid MS lock-in and to use cross platform APIs, instead of MS only ones.

can't agree more with this.

I doubt it. CDPR didn't keep that advertising promise and probably will never do it. See this thread for details.

Microsoft will emulate vulkan under DX at some point as it did with openGL to sabotage it................. I really like to see microsoft fall as main game plataform on PC too. But that is unlikely to hapen in near future. Maybe that other OS from google that I forgot the name (frecsia or whatever) could be a rival (not that this would be nice as it is the same as to trade the dirty for the poorly washed)

Top Bottom