Witcher 3 environment

+
Witcher 3 environment

Does Witcher 3s environment change when you play? Night to Day or rain to shine?

Of course there is a day/night cycle and a weather system has been confirmed as well. The weather/day-night cycle will also affect NPC routines and monsters' behavior, as well as random encounters rate. Some creatures show up only at night, time in which the lands and the seas should be more dangerous.These are all old news by the way, so no surprise.
Instead I was wondering how deep the environmental interaction will be in terms of strategy and gameplay.
Right now I have only heard about the gas igniting chance casting the Igni sign in the swamps of No Man's Land.

Last edited:
Now that is good to hear, the one thing that i don't like about DA it never changes time, it's daytime in an area no matter how long you play, i hope W3 has it were you can adjust it to real time based on your region.

The game has a full day and night cycle, as well as many different weather conditions. This is not only cosmetic, but as an example also influences the people inhabiting the world, who go to bed at night or seek shelter from the rain.

Another great reason to purchase this game, looking so forward to May. Is there any gameplay footage showing the environment changes?

Last edited:
Another great reason to purchase this game, looking so forward to May. Is there any gameplay footage showing the environment changes?

There was once, somewhere, a short video showing how waves in the sea would change according to the speed of the winds during a storm.

I can't link to it cause I can't find it, but I've seen different weather conditions and they look phenomenal, the devs also said many times you'd be able to see storms coming at a distance and travel, so the transitions are smooth and believable, and I heard/read wind is simulated to affect things like trees and cloth differently depending on its strength and weather conditions.

There was footage of the leaked behind closed doors demo from 2013 and It had the best looking storm I've ever seen. It was recorded with a camera off a screen and It still looked like the real thing.

I fucking love the rainfall, puddle, lighting flash and thunder storm sound effects in GTA5/RDR, they look and sound amazing. If cdpr can pull it off like rockstar in these 2 games or better, then holy shit guys look out! :)
On a side note, I hope the rain effects in TW3 look nothing like DAI. The rainfall in that game looks really fucking stupid.
I still have yet to see real cool looking lighting bolts tho, and all kinds of loud rainfall sound effects are going to be very important in TW3.
I love how sounds can really help bring the art of a video game open world to life.
I can't wait to just explore the open world or build a fire and sit next to it, and just listen to cricket sounds and fogs or other wild animals of the day or night.
Maybe the sound of a running creek in the near distance next to my camp fire late at night or during the day.
Awesome :)

Last edited:

Not for The Witcher 3 as far as I know--yet of course--however, The Witcher 2 features similar AI mechanics of NPCs: seeking shelter in the rain (moving to areas that have roofs or overheads), staying indoors when it's raining, etc. I believe when it was raining the Quen sign was enchanced as well, so there are those effects too.

But it's always nice to have confirmation. :)

Top Bottom