Witcher 3 fps freezes and spikes on a decent PC

+
Hi, not so long ago I encountered with freezings or spikes or fps drops in Witcher 3 game (Steam version). Here you can see an example: https://youtu.be/Acgj-fBOUUw

My PC has the next specs (was bought 8 month ago):
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz,
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB,
MBD: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming,
PSU: BE QUIET! Pure Power 11 600W,
RAM: HYPERX Fury Black DDR4 2933MHz 16GB Kit 2x8GB,
HDD: WD Blue 1TB, SSD CRUCIAL
SSD: MX500 250GB
Also I play on 60hz monitor, 1920x1080 resolution using vsync in games.
Nothing is overclocked now, but for the first 5 month my cpu was working on 4.2 frequency. Since I built my PC by myself, I didn't know that I should put "Default" value instead of "Auto" (which was by default) to the CPU frequency in BIOS, to make it work on stock 3.6 frequency. So maybe I'm facing concequences of it now.
All the temperatures are ok. GPU is never more than 71 celsium, cpu - never more than 60C (even when it was overclocked).
PC itself works fine, no random reboots/shutdowns or something.

So, I was playing Witcher 3 for about 5-6 month, and everything was smooth, fine and cool. But then, 2-3 month ago, I updated my old Windows 10 version (that time it was some old version of 2017 year), to the newest one. And fps problems (such as in the video) occured.

I almost give up, because I don't know how to fix this. Things I've tried:
  • Updated to the newest video drivers
  • Used older versions of video drivers (I tried 388, 418, and some other versions)
  • Reinstalled windows fully. Tried to play on the fresh reinstalled windows, where only Steam and Witcher was installed
  • Played with different settings in NVIDIA Control Panel
  • Disabled Vsync
  • Moved the game from HDD to SSD
  • Deleted my old saves and create the new ones
Also, I would like to add, that such GREAT fps problem occurs only in Witcher 3. I have some bad performance with PUBG and AC:Origins (but fps drops only to 55 there, and these games are pretty bad optimized, as far as I know). Such games as Apex Legends, GTA5, Dark Souls 3, Devil May Cry 5, NBA 2K19 works smoothly perfectly.

So I really need some help. Any suggestions of reasons/ways to fix this are very appreciated. Thanks

0.) Using any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

1.) If the game is installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86), move the installation to the root of your drive or a folder of your own creation. For example:
C:\The Witcher 3\...
or
C:\MyRPGgames\The Witcher 3...

Installing games to protected directories can cause issues. As the sudden performance woes seem to coincide with the Windows Update, it could simply be something creating "Windows security issues".

2.) Make sure the Microsoft Redistributables are installed. Also, install DirectX 9.0c.

3.) If updating video drivers does not help, try rolling back.

4.) I get regular microstutter on my system, though it very much exceeds the recommended specs. I use the following:
In-game settings:
Fullscreen, 1920x1080
Vsync ON
Frame Limit = 48 (by editing user.settings manually)

Nvidia Control Panel:
Anisotropic Filtering = 16x (not needed, but looks great)
Frames to render ahead = 1
Refresh rate = 60 Hz

That allows for completely smooth gameplay everywhere. If I change anything, I get pretty bad lagging and popping. Hope that helps. Post back with any interesting results.

0.) No mods were used
1.) Game is installed on HDD where there is no protected folders
2.) Microsoft Redistributables is installed. Why do I need install DirectX 9.0c, when I have DirectX 12 installed?
3.) Tried to roll back, it didn't help
4.) I tried these settings, except frame limit = 48. Interesting thing is that I tried to limit fps to 30 in game, and after that there were no fps lags. But I really would like to play 60fps as before (that's why I bought 1070ti card) :(

Yesterday, I disabled every Xbox thing I found on my Windows. I thought, that it helped (there were no lags during 20-30 minutes after that) but today they occured again.

Anyway, thanks for a reply

UPD: Recently, tried Witcher 3 on Windows 7. Such large drops to 20-30fps are not present, but there still drops to 50-55 (sometimes to 45-48) fps

Last edited:
It‘s usually also a good idea to disable all unneccessary apps before launching the game (especially apps with overlay). For example GeForce Experience, Riva Tuner, MSI Afterburner, MSI Gaming app, Fraps...

...GeForce Experience...

This is something to consider. I recommend completely uninstalling it if it's installed. If you want to hang on to it, run msconfig and manually disable everything associated with "Nvidia Shield Streaming Service". It's actually a pretty invasive program, IMO, for almost nothing in return but potential issues. In general, if gaming is my goal, I don't want to install or update anything on my PC unless there is a specific problem or requirement. Especially video card drivers -- if they're working, change nothing. New drivers are specifically customized for new cards and new games. Thing is, they tend to leave old hardware and games behind after a point. A newer driver version isn't necessarily "better"...just optimized for stuff you may not even be playing or hardware you don't even have. I'm still using the Nvidia Reference 385.69. Not a problem in the world. (Those don't work on Win 10, though.)

4.) I tried these settings, except frame limit = 48. Interesting thing is that I tried to limit fps to 30 in game, and after that there were no fps lags. But I really would like to play 60fps as before (that's why I bought 1070ti card) :(

It's likely just the frame-timing issue I was describing. My old 7-year-old ASUS RoG laptop that's below the required specs? I can run it 55-60 FPS at High-Ultra with no stuttering or drops in certain areas. (The framerate will still tank to ~5 FPS in heavy zones, so it's not playable, overall. But there are no weird slowdowns.)

My custom desktop rig, with an i7-4790K, 16 GB of G.Skill Ripjaws RAM, GTX 980ti with 6 GB VRAM, and a Samsung EVO SSD...constant stuttering and popping everywhere. Constantly. FPS is rock-solid 58-60 in most places...but there's a definite issue with the frame-timing.

So, I don't believe it's the "graphics" that are causing the issue. At the 48 FPS limit, the game is flawless. Smoothly playable, absolutely no FPS fluctuations anywhere. If I raise it to 49 FPS, the stuttering immediately kicks in, even though the framerate is solid. Just raise the limit in increments of 5 and test. (You have to exit to Windows each time.) Your sweet spot may be higher or lower. Also, try setting the limit to something like 72. Test between Windowed/Fullscreen mode. Try Vsync on/off. Try forcing Vsync through the Nvidia CP instead of in-game. Etc. There are actually very few games I've not been able to get running 100% smoothly by systematically fiddling with these same settings.

For my system, switching between Windowed/Fullscreen and tweaking the frame cap is normally all it takes.

Yesterday, I disabled every Xbox thing I found on my Windows. I thought, that it helped (there were no lags during 20-30 minutes after that) but today they occured again.

That certainly sounds like a separate process on the comuter kicking in and fighting for CPU cycles / focus.

Last edited:
I suppose, finally the problem is solved. So, maybe possible solutions will be interesting or useful for someone.

1. As it turned out, my windows 10 was installed in a wrong way. I mean, Windows itself was installed on my SDD, meanwhile, Windows Loader was installed on HDD (I had experiments with installing 2 windows (10 and 7). So I formatted SDD and HDD totally and install my Windows 10 properly. Maybe it solved the issue
2. I pulled out my RAM sticks from 2 and 4 sockets and pulled them into 1 and 3. Then after a few days, I pulled RAM sticks back into 2 and 4 sockets. This is also maybe solved the issue.
3. I turned out Steam Overlay. Not sure it's a solution, but maybe it has some influence on the Witcher's performance.
4. I "Reset WIndows 10 with the Keep My Files option" (google it literally). It deleted all the software from my pc, but keeped my files such as music, films, etc. (note: It may delete all the files from C:/Users folder). After I reset it, I supposed it had deleted all the drivers, BUT in the Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs there were no any NVIDIA driver in the list of the installed software, BUT in NVIDIA Control Panel it was displayed that I still have driver of 436.60 version (the newest one). Maybe, reseting windows in a such way made some driver changes which helped Witcher 3 to work properly.

I suppose, finally the problem is solved. So, maybe possible solutions will be interesting or useful for someone.

1. As it turned out, my windows 10 was installed in a wrong way. I mean, Windows itself was installed on my SDD, meanwhile, Windows Loader was installed on HDD (I had experiments with installing 2 windows (10 and 7). So I formatted SDD and HDD totally and install my Windows 10 properly. Maybe it solved the issue
2. I pulled out my RAM sticks from 2 and 4 sockets and pulled them into 1 and 3. Then after a few days, I pulled RAM sticks back into 2 and 4 sockets. This is also maybe solved the issue.
3. I turned out Steam Overlay. Not sure it's a solution, but maybe it has some influence on the Witcher's performance.
4. I "Reset WIndows 10 with the Keep My Files option" (google it literally). It deleted all the software from my pc, but keeped my files such as music, films, etc. (note: It may delete all the files from C:/Users folder). After I reset it, I supposed it had deleted all the drivers, BUT in the Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs there were no any NVIDIA driver in the list of the installed software, BUT in NVIDIA Control Panel it was displayed that I still have driver of 436.60 version (the newest one). Maybe, reseting windows in a such way made some driver changes which helped Witcher 3 to work properly.

A borked installation of an OS can have all sorts of wonderful effects. Hard to tell from the above what the problem may be, but happy to know it's fixed!

One important thing: ensure that the RAM is installed in the correct DIMM slots. You should see two sets of differently-colored slots. One color are the "master" slots and the other are "slave" slots. The two different types of slots will process data differently for different functions. Generally, you want a matched pair in the same color "master" slots. In the end, though, it depends on your mo-bo which slots are which and how they're arranged. Putting the RAM in the wrong slots for your intended use can result in issues. (Likely, nothing more than the PC simply ignoring the RAM.) If you have doubts, just return them to their original slots and/or consult the manual.

Hi guys Im having stutter on my game too

goty steam version installed on ssd in root of drive.

specs are i7 8700k gtx 1080 strix asus

I get 144 fps (my native monitor refresh rate) disabling hairworks so I would like to play at that frame smoothly

I got to mention in using The hd reworked project but it improves performance xD

My stutter only appear when moving the mouse and scroll camera

Stutter its gone when im on horse and use automatic ridiing clicking shift key twice...

am Having the same issue here...

I have played other games like Shadow of mordor on high quality, but when it comes to only the witcher 3 game, I have the stuttering problem.

My hardware:
Processor:
AMD A6-7480 Radeon R5, 8 Compute Cores 2C+6G 3.50 GHz

GPU:
AFox Radeon RX 550 4GB VRAM

RAM:
16gb

Motherboard:
ASRock FM2A68M-HD+ R2.0

Sorry for my bad english, I am from Brazil.

am Having the same issue here...

I have played other games like Shadow of mordor on high quality, but when it comes to only the witcher 3 game, I have the stuttering problem.

My hardware:
Processor:
AMD A6-7480 Radeon R5, 8 Compute Cores 2C+6G 3.50 GHz

GPU:
AFox Radeon RX 550 4GB VRAM

RAM:
16gb

Motherboard:
ASRock FM2A68M-HD+ R2.0

Sorry for my bad english, I am from Brazil.

Did you try any of the suggestions mentioned before?

What resolution are you playing the game with? HD or higher?

Keep in mind, your cpu isn‘t that strong, so you might have to lower your settings.

Shadow of Mordor is a lot less demanding than TW3 (and it uses a very different engine). So it‘s not the best comparison.

Top Bottom