Witcher 3 Framerate Problems

+
Hey there, I've been playing witcher 3 on and off for about 6 months on like 10-15 FPS aswell (I know, it's insane I lasted that long lol).

I currently use a Dell XPS 15 9570 with a core i7 8th gen and GTX 1050 ti Max-Q. As far as I know, this should easily handle the game at medium settings, but it seems that Witcher 3 really is a problem child.

What I've noticed:

-While running my game, I check my task manager to see if there's any load on my GPU at all and it shows to be none.
-Even setting my graphics to the lowest possible makes no difference. There is just constantly horrid FPS throughout the game.

What I've done:

-Done a windows factory mode reset and checked only to find no difference
-Done a complete clean reinstall of my drivers with DDU. (Maybe there's a chance it didn't install properly... once again???)
-Ensured nothing else was running in the background while I tested again
-Made sure everything was in order on the NVIDIA control panel
-Found the Witcher exe file>right click>Run with graphics processor>Chose NVIDIA. I assumed that perhaps the control panel wasn't working properly and so I wanted to physically attempt this. Lo and behold, it didn't work.
-Went through several niche fixes such as switching to windowed mode and switching back.
-I assigned "maximum performance" for the game manually in the windows and nvidia settings, but to no avail.

I am currently using the GeForce 457.30 Nvidia Drivers.

I have no clue whether my drivers are at fault, or if it's Witcher...Or perhaps both.

I just want to be able to play what I payed for :/

PS.- Gwent is the only content that works perfectly fine lol.

***EDIT:

1606318399252.png

I just hit windows key+g to check out the performance it it somehow shows my GPU to constantly be at 100% now? I have no clue as to what's going on ;-;

Last edited:
It seems like a different problem so I moved your post to a new thread.

Limiting the framerate is often a good idea.
What resolution are you using to play the game?

Sometimes older driver versions are more reliable.

1606328304885.png

Currently have the above settings^

Also, ty for moving my post ^^

EDIT: just turned down the resolution and checked GPU usage:

1606328602347.png

My NVIDIA doesn't seem to be being used at all :/ Should I just try to reinstall it again?

I would try an older Nvidia driver - a user here installed v385.69 and had no issues:

Thank you for the information; part of me really wants to try out an old version of the drivers. However:

"It's incredibly annoying though ... since I have to reinstall drivers between my work and gaming session now (Adobe suits isn't friendly to years old drivers). "

This throws me off a little given that I too use Adobe suits quite often for uni work. I'll keep this in mind as a last resort, though.

Are there any other potential fixes?

1606385728599.png

Hey there, thanks for the reply. I'll do as you asked.

I also checked these stats via GPU-Z and it shows that the GPU load lives on 100% the MOMENT I START. I can't tell if this is my Dell BIOS affecting the insane temperatures (CPU temp is also at 96????) or if it's the game or if it's NVIDIA.

Hey .DC. I have the same dell xps laptop as you and am running into the same problems. When I run the Witcher 3, it seems to run only on the intel UHD 630 graphics. Because of this, the game's very laggy even at minimum settings. Other games on my laptop (e.g. Runescape) can actually run properly on the NVIDIA 1050ti GPU.

It turns out that if I try a different NVIDIA driver (i.e. version 3.8901) then the game can run on the NVIDIA 1050 ti card. However, the gpu usage is like 100% and the performance is around the same, if not worse than the intel graphics.

So like Devivre said, I'm guessing that the issue is probably related to Witcher 3 and NVIDIA. However the problem can't be just solved by downgrading the driver. Have you found a resolution yet?

Top Bottom