Witcher 3 Gameplay from GDC and PAX

+
Personally I don't have many complains, overall game looks really good.. I like the animations, overall the graphics, the atmosphere, the music, dialogs, VO, the new menus, the design of monsters so far, and so on..

But there were some things I didn't like as much :
1., Quests marks and exclamation marks everywhere - I hope we can turn them off in Options/Game/HUD menu
2., Some textures problems - on the pics below
3., The slow-mo with crossbow is maybe a too much of a help, you could left the animation(s) for the drinking of potions but whatever :)

Some things I would like to see in maybe some next video - storm, rain, boat sailing, the use of m+k - especially in menus, show how hard a fight can actually be - the fight can take even few minutes, climbing a really high mountain, show the life in a city - going to a tavern to fistfight or simply just to go to drink,etc.. some video like this which you released for W2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUazuUBZ4Y or make some video like this gameplay presentation from the CD Projekt RED Spring 2011 Conference :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrCS0V8BciQ

Yeah, and I would be real happy if you are going/plan to make developers diaries like in the case of W2 :)

Attachments

• man.jpg
    man.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 41
  • questhtukh.png
    questhtukh.png
    218.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 7D7JHh4ii.jpg
    7D7JHh4ii.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 39
  • blurry9iuvr.jpg
    blurry9iuvr.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 51
Moderator: We can stop arguing over the deleted posts now. Please do not feed the trolls.

Last edited:
Haven't been able to see the new gameplay yet. What's the general consensus? How is everything coming along? Graphics? The world? Points of Interest?

@TheEvilChris... don't be evil... here my hot-headed response watching the vi: CATCH IT!!!

Oh, dear, I've even posted 2 screenshots in one thread!

Seriously, you're right, it seems that it's obliged to be overcritical for don't look a fanboy. Dammit. CDPR, you're making it incredible. Go on guys!

Guys. I thinks that the combo used to kill the Wyvern is only possible thanks to the potion. What do you think?

Bloody rude.

Perhaps you should do a better job of being a community manager, engaging with the community more and helping to alleviate their concerns, instead of being a jackass and criticizing how people react to your poorly thought-out PR. "Let's show footage on X console with Y settings, then show a different console and settings the next time around, then become obvlious to why people question the graphical fidelity".

Considering we are your customers, you'd get far more positive feedback if you just outright set in stone exactly what was going on in regards to the graphics. I see a downgrade, others see a downgrade...if there is no downgrade, prove it then! Otherwise you're pulling another WatchDogs on us...and I will laugh in your face when the game is released and the negative backlash ensues.

Nothing wrong with defending his game. I admire him for that. What's wrong is that it's put forward very rudely and arrogantly. We as customers have been voicing our concerns for months and have just been shut out constantly, and when people provide feedback (albeit constructive) we get this garbage post.

You've just instantly earned my gratitude. Really, I feel like giving you a standing ovation.

Funny how stating abstract platitudes about consumer rights seems to be very en vogue these days, but as for exercising them in real life, here, now, No. Not really. One shouldn't stir the air in the temple. Even asking a basic straightforward question - what platform was this footage on? - , the most trivial of questions, is somehow being viewed as malicious. Some people have actually gone the arduous mental length of coming up with a rationalization as why REDs shouldn't even put out footage on ultra ahead of release. Just imagine. Take that for consumer rights.

The default position is to disclose which platform footage is on. Period. The burden, the onus of an explanation lies with those failing to meet this standard, a standard that's upheld in every other area of business, but that for whatever reasons some are willing to suspend against their own best interests on this very specific occasion.

Let's not have semantics get in the way. Game looks very good and yet perceivably less stellar than what the VGX and SoD trailers suggested. Because when people watched them for the first time they took them to be representative of the overall fidelity in the game. That was a fair and reasonable assumption. Now, it's highly probable those VGX and SoD assets will be there in the game alright, exactly as they were originally shown, as Marcin promised.

But what footage morsel after footage morsel seems to corroborate is that they're not strictly representative of the overall, typical texture, geometry, shadow and AO quality in the game. Maybe that's not what a downgrade is. You can call it Kentucky Fried Chicken for all I care.

Last edited:
Guys. I thinks that the combo used to kill the Wyvern is only possible thanks to the potion. What do you think?
I dunno. He did drink a potion at that point. But someone else pointed out that he also drained his Vigor bar when he did that attack. So maybe it's both?

Grass? Seriously? No mention of how great the villagers look (ok, one about Roach bumping into a woman which I also chuckled at), no comments on the royal wyvern, a few about the combat, but complaining about how the f.... flipping grass looks? That is your takeaway on this?
*sigh*

Oh, and more downgrade talk makes baby Jeebus cry and you look like a tool. Wait till the game is out then brag you were right (which you won't cuz you aren't) or start making excuses about why you were wrong (better get on that).

Just curious... was my post about the rocks one of the toolish ones?

Yes, it is disheartening when people narrow in on the flaws and overlook where the footage shines, but that comes with the territory. People will nitpick, but you can pour oil on the fire and increase the zeal of the nitpickers if you insist that they're imagining the existence of those nits. Critics can be your greatest allies if you treat them right and interpret them in the best possible way. People don't come on a forum and complain about a game they have no passion for, and I don't sense anything untoward in any of the posts I've read.

Just watched the new gameplay from PAX.

Positives:

• voice over quality and dialogues
  • good overall art design and graphics
  • nice weather and lighting effects
  • solid basic gameplay

Negatives:

• GOD AWFUL witcher senses (extremely overused, could become a game breaker for me)
  • awful UI (welcome to the world of generic web 2.0 elements...)
  • awful inventory (hopefully only on consoles)
  • super easy mode again?! (wyvern was a cakewalk)
  • combat seems to be a bit imprecise (gamepad issue?)
  • dumbing down (e.g. exclamation marks for quest givers...)

I'm a bit split right now to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much looking forward to playing the game. I'm a huge Witcher fan and I can bear a lot just to be able to follow the story. But some things really bother me.
The most awkward thing right now is the witcher senses which seem to be featured in every gameplay video. I can only guess how many quests heavily rely on it and on whether we don't have to use it AT ALL if we like so. I hate it with all my heart without heaving played the game for even one second.
The UI is another issue. It's just so generic and unfitting to the style and art direction of the game. Not as bad as DAI's but still bad with a lot of wasted potential.
And then there is the dumbing down... Exclamation marks for quest givers? Witcher senses to reveal everything? Quest markers besides the minimp? Every item shown on the minimap? What else? Is there anything left that isn't rubbed into your face without being at least incentivized to actually use your brain for a moment? I really, really hope we can turn off ALL of these dumbing down elements and not just some items on the minimap. I want to be immersed into this game. I want to think for myself. I'm a gamer and I'm NOT stupid and I'm not THAT lazy...

Just want to point out that they said Geralt was a very high level in this demo. And we know for a fact that the Igni ability he kept using is at the end of the Signs tree.

That doesn't really answer the question. It would but only if we knew if the wyvern was a few levels below Geralt in the vid. If no the fight would be super disappointing for "mini-boss" fight...

Again, I don't get the purpose of showing off such fights. I want to see just ONE great fight in a video, a fight in which Geralt really has to be careful, a fight in which he almost dies. A fight without super easy mode, a fight without Geralt being 10 levels above enemies or whatever. Just REAL gameplay, you know. That PR stuff "only for the looks" is just meh imo.

-Lighting in the cave was fantastic and it's fucking AMAZING to see torches make a return - you seriously cannot understand how much I love torches in games. If I wasn't in combat and it was dark, you can bet your ass I had that thing out in TW1.

I completely agree with this here, however, I can also sadly see that the torch and its fire is nowhere near as good looking as it was in the SOD trailer.

Not that I care much, its just a small fire effect, but you know...another small thing that keeps my expectations for the graphics dubious.

That doesn't really answer the question. It would but only if we knew if the wyvern was a few levels below Geralt in the vid. If no the fight would be super disappointing for "mini-boss" fight...

Again, I don't get the purpose of showing off such fights. I want to see just ONE great fight in a video, a fight in which Geralt really has to be careful, a fight in which he almost dies. A fight without super easy mode, a fight without Geralt being 10 levels above enemies or whatever. Just REAL gameplay, you know. That PR stuff "only for the looks" is just meh imo.

So much this, give us boss fight on normal/hard difficulty with proper preparation etc...

I'm a huge Witcher fan and I can bear a lot just to be able to follow the story. But some things really bother me.
The most awkward thing right now is the witcher senses which seem to be featured in every gameplay video. I can only guess how many quests heavily rely on it and on whether we don't have to use it AT ALL if we like so. .

I think that we will not have to use witcher senses at all actually. This mechanic works like medalion in The Witcher 2, nothing more i think.

Last edited:
So, a huge open world RPG, where every decision will aim you to one of the 36 differents end which take over 3 years of 200 people working on it, with 16 free DCL, no DRM, more than 100 hours of playing for 50€ in 2015.... and you are asking for the highest level in EVERY detail?

But... really? you are aware that what some of you are asking for is a near-perfect game for a bargain price?

Who is being unfair here?

Many comments here really scared me. Hard-core PC players community howling at grass tufts ? Really ?
I'm wondering, reading all these (often ludicrous) negative reviews, what the devs are thinking about this community. Some people are crying about grass growing through little rocks in a cave ? About not having enough dynamics shadows with the grass ? It's insane, that's all I can say.

Top Bottom