Witcher 3 Gameplay from GDC and PAX

+
@gregski @thisismadness Personally, I liked in The Witcher 1 how you had to read your journal to know how to solves quests and sometimes use your head. i.e. your journal might say "collect alchemy ingredients from Drowners." Then you had to buy a book on Drowners (to get the monster entry) and then find a place with some to kill. I had hoped The Witcher 3 would bring back gameplay like this, but so far I haven't seen any. I almost wonder if The Witcher 3 is meant to be an open-world game where you don't do a lot of exploration.

It could have been worse. Once the quest is updated in the journal, they could put a short description of the next step somewhere on the screen, which some devs do in games ;)

Those are some unrealistic expectations, though, let's be honest.

How is that an unrealistic expectation?

I'd even be happy if it wasn't procedural and all those "trick paths" were pre-placed. Sure, some people would find the correct way on their first go, but as I said, at least it gives you the chance of failure, and the mechanic isn't just a complete simplistic rail-roaded bore.

Sure, but with only Witcher Senses turned on it would require at least SOME effort. As it is right now, you don't even need to turn them on, you just follow the yellow arrow and that's it.

Splitting hairs at this point IMO.

Sure, Witcher Senses requires slightly more input, but the effort gap is so small it's practically redundant. Whether I'm looking at my mini-map and following a yellow arrow, or following the 3D red trail it's essentially the same thing.

@gregski @thisismadness Personally, I liked in The Witcher 1 how you had to read your journal to know how to solves quests and sometimes use your head. i.e. your journal might say "collect alchemy ingredients from Drowners." Then you had to buy a book on Drowners (to get the monster entry) and then find a place with some to kill. I had hoped The Witcher 3 would bring back gameplay like this, but so far I haven't seen any. I almost wonder if The Witcher 3 is meant to be an open-world game where you don't do a lot of exploration.

I agree I enjoyed that too, I don't think the Witcher senses contradict that type of quest design. They can be used in more interesting ways, there have been many examples given here, we can only hope that they will. Unfortunately, they are very committed to showing off the game under very easy conditions for these conferences. The other day they played on god mode and today they used a high level character to complete low level quests. My only guess is that because the Witcher 2 has a reputation of being difficult and unfair, they must be trying to change that impression.

the bad thing with the witcher senses is that they highlight invisible tracks, which means that the only way to advance the quest is to use them.If they had made the tracks visible, and the witcher senses just a way to facilitate its discovery it would have been at least acceptable

How is that an unrealistic expectation?

I'd even be happy if it wasn't procedural and all those "trick paths" were pre-placed. Sure, some people would find the correct way on their first go, but as I said, at least it gives you the chance of failure, and the mechanic isn't just a complete simplistic rail-roaded bore.

Splitting hairs at this point IMO.

Sure, Witcher Senses requires slightly more input, but the effort gap is so small it's practically redundant. Whether I'm looking at my mini-map and following a yellow arrow, or following the 3D red trail it's essentially the same thing.

Yeah but why not have some quests demand that the player observe the environment? I always cite Larian in this regard but I don't know anyone who does it better. You have to stick your face to the screen and find details, observe landmarks. No arrows or exclamation marks. It's your logic and observational skills in action. Of course. this won't always work. But I hope it's in there. Because follow the arrow to objective X is bad quest design. Anywhoo, I'm done. No more whining from me. :)

Just one complaint here for Royal Wyvern,I think that the wings are a little bit small for the creature of that size to be able to fly.Just scale them up a bit :D

As for the witcher sense, I won't be using it.I think I'll do just fine without it but I understand that some people(*cough* plebs *cough*) expect and want that feature in the game.

As for the witcher sense, I won't be using it.I think I'll do just fine without it but I understand that some people(*cough* plebs *cough*) expect and want that feature in the game.

It's not a feature. It's how quests are designed and how they work.

Yeah but why not have some quests demand that the player observe the environment? I always cite Larian in this regard but I don't know anyone who does it better. You have to stick your face to the screen and find details, observe landmarks. No arrows or exclamation marks. It's your logic and observational skills in action. Of course. this won't always work. But I hope it's in there. Because follow the arrow to objective X is bad quest design. Anywhoo, I'm done. No more whining from me. :)

It's a ~100 hour game, and so I'm clinging onto a teeny tiny little bud of hope that situations like that do still exist in the game, but It's certainly not something I'm expecting.

Without the yellow markers and arrows you don't know where to use to the Witcher senses after you've accept to the quest though, which makes the "effort gap" much larger than you're giving it credit for. Suddenly, you'd have to pay attention to the quest description to find the location and any clues. In this case we were told the crew was headed north in a wagon, so you know you should probably travel the North road until you find something peculiar. Then you use the Witcher senses, ect.

It's not a feature. It's how quests are designed and how they work.

Its feature like medalion from Witcher 2 cause u can use witcher senses everywhere and always, not only in quests. So yeah, i probably wouldn't use it at all. U can find this cave and these people from gameplay without witcher senses. It has nothing with quest design.

You would be able to complete quests without witcher's senses anyway. For example you can find that cave we've seen in the last video without them. Just explore

Its feature like medalion from Witcher 2 cause u can use witcher senses everywhere and always, not only in quests. So yeah, i probably wouldn't use it at all. U can find this cave and these people from gameplay without witcher senses.

Actually yeah, in the Twich video they say that you can discover the cave+workers without doing the investigation and it would update the quest automatically. So the witcher senses arent required to advance.

You would be able to complete quests without witcher's senses anyway. For example you can find that cave we've seen in the last video without them. Just explore

Its feature like medalion from Witcher 2 cause u can use witcher senses everywhere and always, not only in quests. So yeah, i probably wouldn't use it at all. U can find this cave and these people from gameplay without witcher senses.

Like Fallout 3, where you can find your dad skipping the Three Dog's quest, going directly to River City?
Guys, please, tell me that you realize that it would be even worst, because it would be metagame.

Someday, many months will have passed since the release of the game, people will have already finished the game numerous times, played every quest, explored every nook and cranny of the game, tried different mods and all will be satisfied.....................someday, the hot burning TW3 talks will have toned down, downgrade talks will have stopped, TW3 : Wild Hunt threads will have dwindled and all will be forgotten..........but today is not that day, TODAY IS THE DAY WE GROAN AND MOAN AND BITCH ABOUT EVERY LITTLE PLOUGHING BIT OF THE GAME.

My original idea for WS didnt actually rely in needing player skills for boring(to me personally) tasks like walking around, pixel hunting, following the correct trail or the wrong one, etc. Because we dont just have to consider what happens when we face the challenge, but also what happens when we solve it well, or fail.

In my opinion the best potential thing they could've done was to use WS to help you find stuff normal human beings like us could not, like the lore demands it, but then let the interpretation of clues and the "monster hunting case" to us. So basically, the challenge isnt in finding the tracks, but rather in looking at them and figuring out what horrifying think you could meet at the end of the path, or judging who could've committed a murder or something according to what pieces of cloth or fabric you find in the crime scene, things like that. They would lead to making bets as a witcher, and produce important consequences.

You'd have different marks of the feet/paws of the monsters in your bestiary, gotten by talking to expert NPCs, getting or finding books from secret forgotten witcher schools, or any other possible method, and then you'd study the characteristics of monsters and match them with your monster hunting cases, and then hope that helps you prepare correctly for the battle, or kill the right people/creatures, and if not you face a nasty surprise, and possibly ruin the lives of people threatened by the monster- The marks of the monsters in the ground could even not be graphical in the Bestiary, their shape could be described with textual info you find, so you have to really take a look at the real ones you find and see if they match the description.
And like this there are dozens of other examples we could come up with, for tracks, dead bodies and autopsies, sounds, plants or broken trees, strange happenings in a village, etc.

Making something harder or challenging doesnt make it automatically more interesting or fun IMHO, in the case of finding tracks or stuff, that doesnt lead into easily interesting situations, you either find the monster, or you dont, and if you dont you dont even do the quest, or you get confused and follow a poor animal and dont have any kind of epic battle at all, or you follow another monster which can't be too awesome because then you'd need two or more great monsters with lairs and tracks for every monster hunting case to allow interesting failure, which would break believability and also present unrealistic needs of work from devs.

Ultimately I think making WS a bit more interesting wasnt THAT much of additional work, the bestiary is there, awesome and varied monsters are there, and interesting characters and quests with choices are there too, and i cant help but to feel that if the system would've just relied upon the other more developed aspects of the game to vary the fun factor it could've been much better. It's a shame.

Maybe it will totally surpass my expectations in the full game, but im not seeing that as likely.

Like Fallout 3, where you can find your dad skipping the Three Dog's quest, going directly to River City?
Guys, please, tell me that you realize that it would be even worst, because it would be metagame.

If im not forced to use WS, then i really dont care. My point is that quests shouldn't be affected by witcher senses cause at the end of the day we can find every quest or target without using this. Its just feature for casual players who needs handholding.

Top Bottom