Witcher 3 Gameplay from GDC and PAX

+
That's right. I forgot you were a member of the "Skyrim-clone" crowd. I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree then. But I, personally, think TW2 was already streamlined to begin with, and I'm hoping The Witcher 3 is more like a cross between the first two games.

And I'm willing to make a few concessions to the casual crowd to have the RPG of my dreams --an open-world RPG with a 3rd-person action combat system, a huge skill tree, and a story on par with a novel. It's a game I've been wanting to play since I was 14 years old.

I am sure they make no concessions in higher difficulty levels. I can bet that Witcher sense will be restricted one way or another don't worry. CDPR always have been smart when coming to give an experience for everyone. I m not worried. If I put first the difficulty setting which fit me first I m sure I will not feel they made concessions.

Some things I noticed in the gameplay footage:

Animations are dead-on. They're brilliant, especially the combat animations. It all looks so fluid, responsive and graceful. More than happy with the animations. Goddamn amazing.

Character design. I'm loving the tattoos on this guy.

View attachment 11041

They didn't need to be there, but the fact that they are separates his character from the rest and adds to him immensely. I don't feel like I'm talking to Generic NPC Number 56 anymore; I feel like I'm talking to someone who has an actual past behind him.

Also, Geralt's face is a thing of beauty. His beard is just... ahhhh. And let's take a moment to appreciate the three hairs on his head blowing in the wind:

View attachment 11042

Yes, they do blow in the wind.

The entire quest seems to have a number of dialogue options as well, which is good especially since it's just one of the many small contracts/side-quests. Wonder what happened to Thomil.

View attachment 11044

I like the new inventory. It is not mind-blowing. It is not bloody fantastic. But at a glance (at least for me) I can tell where what is. The only potential problem I can foresee is how you can't go directly from inventory to another section that isn't "alchemy" or "world map" with one click. Other than that, it looks alright.

View attachment 11045

In the 35min demo, both "pockets" were empty and I wondered what purpose they served. It now appears one of their uses is for torches. This means torches aren't "automatic", and also means there's a hot-key somewhere that allowed Geralt to instantly access his "pockets".

It also appears Roach is quite... customizable? You can change his saddle, saddlebags, and even horse-binders (whatever those are, sadly I don't know). We've also seen Roach in different videos with different skin colors, so I guess Roach isn't always Roach. Just like in the books hooray!

View attachment 11043

EDIT: Most of the following info known for a while by now actually. Missed that somehow. The sword panel above reveals some interesting things. Weapons definitely have level requirements - in this case, Geralt can use the sword because he's a level above the requirement. Weapons also come in different categories: "common", and maybe "rare" or "legendary" etc. There's a range of weapon damage so you won't consistently be dealing the same amount of damage. And finally, durability is conveyed in percentage.

More in another post, because of the limit of five attachments:crybaby:

Attachments

• NPC Tattoo.jpg
    NPC Tattoo.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Geralt Hair.jpg
    Geralt Hair.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Sword.png
    Sword.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Inventory.jpg
    Inventory.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Saddlebags.png
    Saddlebags.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
That's right. I forgot you were a member of the "Skyrim-clone" crowd.
You forgot? I'm quite sure I never mentioned that before... ;)

But, personally, I think TW2 was already streamlined to begin with, and I'm hoping The Witcher 3 is more like a cross between the first two games.
I agree. TW2 was in some parts streamlined (which is in my books not exactly the same thing as dumbed down). But it also did some things much better than TW1. A cross between the two would be indeed a good think. But I fear that won't be the case. More likely it will have some elements of both but also new ones just made for the mass appeal (like Witcher senses and other dumbing down mechanics).

And I'm willing to make a few concessions to the casual crowd to have the RPG of my dreams --an open-world RPG with a 3rd-person action combat system, a huge skill tree, and a story on par with a novel. It's a game I've been wanting to play since I was 14 years old.
More power to you. Here's me thinking that Pillars of Eternity will be better than Witcher 3 in any possible way. That's the RPG of my dreams. ;)

As for Witcher: I would have preferred a game without a huge open-world, without a huge skill tree, without any casualization - just give me deep C&C, fun and challenging gameplay, A LOT of atmosphere and a good story around one of my favorite literary characters and I'm happy. Just like Witcher 1 and 2...

Let's wait shall we?
Sure. I'm just voicing my opinion on the stuff I saw in that video. I will play the game anyway, don't worry. ;)

The sword panel above reveals some interesting things. Weapons definitely have level requirements - in this case, Geralt can use the sword because he's a level above the requirement. Weapons also come in different categories: "common", and maybe "rare" or "legendary" etc. There's a range of weapon damage so you won't consistently be dealing the same amount of damage. And finally, durability is conveyed in percentage.
All of that is already known since the last gameplay vid. ;)

About inventory: you're a console gamer, right?

All of that is already known since the last gameplay vid. ;)

Eh... well you're right, actually. I somehow forgot that... my bad. I'll edit the post.

About inventory: you're a console gamer, right?

I'm not even sure how to answer that, because it's an assumption based on my deeming the inventory acceptable. No matter what led you to believe I'm a console gamer, the answer is no. I play games on a PC with a mouse and keyboard. Which is why I said the inventory is acceptable. There is a grid, which is suitable for PC. There is clarity and simplicity, which is good for seeing where something is quickly. These led to the judgement of the inventory being "acceptable". Some might consider it good. The fact that the inventory is not balls-out mindblowing-ly amazing doesn't change the fact that it is, in my opinion, acceptable. If you choose to believe it is balls-out mindblowing-ly downright disgusting, that is your prerogative. But please try to avoid labeling someone who doesn't agree a console gamer without further information. Thank you.

Well, to be honest: I think it's sad that CDPR still doesn't let ordinary people play the game for themselves, not even two months before release. All we get from PAX is another "PR video" with dumbed down mechanics and actually nothing really new in it. In times of early access games and early customer/fan integration this isn't really much.

And it's their loss if they don't show us the game at the best possible quality. If you ask me, that's just stupid and must be part of some "platform parity" bullshit agreement.

Well, judging from the reaction this video has got outside of your and some other people's little bubble here CDPR's approach to marketing works like gangbusters. In simple words: People like what they are seeing. People liked what they read in January from the hands on-preview. Why should they show the game at the highest quality when a) it's probably not yet fully optimized and b) only the smallest percentage of people will actually get to play the game on the highest setting? And don't give me that "parity or consoles are to fault" bullshit. If you honestly believe that most people that are going to play the Witcher 3 on PC will be able to enjoy the game "in the best possible quality" graphically-wise you're are gravely mistaken. Presenting the game more or less the way most costumers - console and PC players alike - will eventually play it, is not only a strategically sound decision, it is also, you know, honest marketing.

Maybe CDPR should just rethink their PR approach and how they interact with their fans and loyal customers. To me that looks like PR from medieval times and not like other independent companies do it in 2015. I'm rather suprised that so many of you drool just because someone released another 7 minutes video of "ok" gameplay footage and that 2 months before release, a date at which the gold master for the physical release should already be almost ready and done...

Yeah, because the loyal customers are still considering whether they will actually purchase the Witcher 3, right? Honestly, all I here is a self-entitled "Gimme, gimme, gimme (the game at midnight)" ... "I want it now and I want it all".

CDPR doesn't have to cater to your specific demands. They have to target the people who still are on the fence or not yet interested in the series. And their current modus operandi of releasing snippets of gameplay, showing different aspects of the game without giving too much away* does seem to generate the attention and interest it needs. Besides, the full PR campaign is yet to begin. So, how about some patience.

*perhaps we are drooling because not only can we appreciate what we've seen so far but because of the knowledge that CDPR is purposefully withholding a lot of great content. ;)

Last edited:
I'm not even sure how to answer that, because it's an assumption based on my deeming the inventory acceptable. No matter what led you to believe I'm a console gamer, the answer is no. I play games on a PC with a mouse and keyboard. Which is why I said the inventory is acceptable. There is a grid, which is suitable for PC. There is clarity and simplicity, which is good for seeing where something is quickly. These led to the judgement of the inventory being "acceptable". Some might consider it good. The fact that the inventory is not balls-out mindblowing-ly amazing doesn't change the fact that it is, in my opinion, acceptable. If you choose to believe it is balls-out mindblowing-ly downright disgusting, that is your prerogative. But please try to avoid labeling someone who doesn't agree a console gamer without further information. Thank you.
It wasn't meant as labelling, just as a normal question. But you have to agree that playing on controller or with M/K usually means that you have different experiences or expectations for inventory functionality. Of course you can think that the inventory is ok on PC as well. That's what I was trying to assess. And yes, I don't think it's very good, especially for M/K. There is no mouseover usage, stuff is scattered over the whole screen, everything is BIG, there is no artistic effort visible, the layout is simply boring, some of the information is even placed on Geralt's body on the right.

If you ask me, it's an inventory made for controllers at best. That is useable on PC - of course - but I wouldn't call it acceptable or even good. It's the bare minimum. Simple function.

Sorry but it's always the same. They just cut the travels, the scenes, they never show a complete travel to see a large zone, not liking it.
Other thing, besides it's amazing true next gen graphics, except maybe for some opaque grass and bushes, less quantity than older shots and trailers, that was the "hard" enemy in the game? because that was just too easy, i hope that gameplay was on the easier mode and would be still worried.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but it's always the same. They just cut the travels, the scenes, they never show a complete travel to see a large zone, not liking it.
Other thing, besides it's amazing true next gen graphics, except maybe for some opaque grass and bushes, less quantity than older shots and trailers, that was the "hard" enemy in the game? because that was just too easy, i hope that gameplay was on the easier mode and would be still worried.

It's obvious that the demo was on "God mode" like all of them so far, they wouldn't want the guy recording struggling on a fight. As for cutting the travel, they wanted to show a small side quest, not an epic journey through the world, they leave that for us to discover, the encounters and the beauty of the world, if they showed everything before the release there wouldn't be any joy in "discovering" the game, no? ;P

It wasn't meant as labelling, just as a normal question. But you have to agree that playing on controller or with M/K usually means that you have different experiences or expectations for inventory functionality. Of course you can think that the inventory is ok on PC as well. That's what I was trying to assess. And yes, I don't think it's very good, especially for M/K. There is no mouseover usage, stuff is scattered over the whole screen, everything is BIG, there is no artistic effort visible, the layout is simply boring, some of the information is even placed on Geralt's body on the right.

If you ask me, it's an inventory made for controllers at best. That is useable on PC - of course - but I wouldn't call it acceptable or even good. It's the bare minimum. Simple function.
It's very similar to TW1's inventory. It's grid based with equipment taking up rectangular slots like in TW1. It just takes up the entire screen (Which I can understand not liking) and has a bit more separation of types of items (I hope we get a "Show all" tab)

It's going to work a hell of a lot better with KBM than TW2's inventory did I imagine.

Compare

Not sure why do they have lvl requirements for weapons, thats very MMOish. Its very satisfying to beat higher lvl opponent, and then as a reward to use high lvl loot with low lvl character. Not a big fan of lvl requirements...

Not a big fan of lvl requirements either, but it's been a feature of RPGs since well before the invention of MMOs.

It's obvious that the demo was on "God mode" like all of them so far, they wouldn't want the guy recording struggling on a fight. As for cutting the travel, they wanted to show a small side quest, not an epic journey through the world, they leave that for us to discover, the encounters and the beauty of the world, if they showed everything before the release there wouldn't be any joy in "discovering" the game, no? ;P

Frist, no, they have to put someone who knows the game, and i am pretty sure they know how to play and beat difficult monsters. It's the meaning of a gameplay video showing how the game is, didn't you see Dark Souls or other hard rpgs with the player dying? i did, it's the meaning of this, showing what the game has, and i'm seeing a weak easy gamplay, CASUAL gameplay. Sorry, it's the truth, documented on video truth.

Second, no, i want to know that the game is big, not knowing everything, but a big travel is possible. They already shown many places and things for the "discover topic".

Last edited:
Frist, no, they have to put someone who knows the game, and i am pretty sure they know how to play and beat difficult monsters. It's the meaning of a gameplay video showing how the game is, didn't you see Dark Souls or other hard rpgs with the player dying? i did, it's the meaning of this, showing what the game has, and i'm seeing a weak easy gamplay, CASUAL gameplay. Sorry, it's the truth, documented on video truth.

Second, no, i want to know that the game is big, not knowing everything, but a big travel is possible. They already shown many places and things for the "discover topic".
Geralt is level 30 in the video and the max level is 60. Enemies don't scale. Take that as you will

I noticed it says silver sword and steel WEAPON so does that mean that it could be possible to use something other than a steel sword!?!?!

Geralt is level 30 in the video and the max level is 60. Enemies don't scale. Take that as you will

I'm taking what i see and i see a "hard enemy" a wyvern says there.... so, i'll stick to the CASUAL label. hey maybe i'm wrong, just saying what i see in this video right?.

Last edited:

The Witcher 3 doesn't try to sell on its difficulty unlike Dark Souls but on its world and its story telling. But unlike what you think I think the game will truly be hard. They stated it a few time now.

Top Bottom