Witcher 3 Gameplay from GDC and PAX

+
Just watched the PAX video. Liked it overall, but I'm concerned a bit about Yrden. I fear it could become too overpowered if enemies slow down in the circle.

Also... wtf is with torches? Geralt is a witcher, he doesn't need any torch, he can see in the dark.
I don't know I feel like that the new Yrden is ok because the previous version made the enemy stand still, now it only slows him. Also, torches have been always there, especially in Witcher 1, it's for the gameplay's sake. :p

I don't know I feel like that the new Yrden is ok because the previous version made the enemy stand still, now it only slows him. Also, torches have been always there, especially in Witcher 1, it's for the gameplay's sake. :p

Yeah but now it covers an area, not a single spot like in TW2... I don't know, I'm just a bit concerned.

As for torches, what do you mean by gameplay sake? Torches ain't necessary for Geralt.

Wow, that's truly incredible.....so alive and full of atmosphere. I'd actually consider holding off playing and waiting to upgrade my card for that level of immersion.

I am doing that, I could play the game in may, but I will wait by the end of the year until I save enough money to buy something epic :D

I want to play the game on 1440p and 60 FPS, while having at least high settings

Yeah but now it covers an area, not a single spot like in TW2... I don't know, I'm just a bit concerned.

As for torches, what do you mean by gameplay sake? Torches ain't necessary for Geralt.
I mean games are not the books, I know what you mean, but it's something useful only for pitch dark areas, only related to gameplay. What I'm trying to say that it doesn't bother me, actually you can use also Cat potion to enhance Geralt's senses.

Geralt can't see in complete darkness. Cat potion, torches, sources of light, they help him. The cave in the PAX footage was very well lit, so maybe the torch being pulled out was just to show off. I hope there will be extremely dark areas that will force us to use them, or cats.

I also really like torches. Nothing rational about that, I just find them cool.

ME SoM,DAI and TombRaider did dark black caves pretty well, it also depends on your TV and its settings though.

---------- Updated at 04:23 PM ----------

Doood, did you guy see Roche when Geralt got off and was by the wine wagon? All snorting and shit, Ha! They also made the horse ears move like it would be listening to sounds in real life too. That's freakin Amazing ;)
Oh, and the flies buzzing around that dead guy :)

Last edited:
Doood, did you guy see Roche when Geralt got off and was by the wine wagon? All snorting and shit, Ha! They also made the horse ears move like it would be listening to sounds in real life too. That's freakin Amazing
Yes, I noticed that yesterday...Really cool! :)

ME SoM,DAI and TombRaider did dark black caves pretty well, it also depends on your TV and its settings though.

---------- Updated at 04:23 PM ----------

Doood, did you guy see Roche when Geralt got off and was by the wine wagon? All snorting and shit, Ha! They also made the horse ears move like it would be listening to sounds in real life too. That's freakin Amazing ;)

Yea, caves and dungeons were pitch black in DA:I. I really liked that. It seems like TW3 will have similar levels of darkness.

Did u notice. that PAX and GDC gameplays have less effects, compare to 35min gameplay?
In the old 35min gameplay was a lot more blood from enemies, but here it is barely visible and immediately disappears
35-minute gameplay also had nice inventory (not this awful) \ puddles of blood (instead of instantly disappearing little spray that barely have time to notice, and not as it is now, without blood - blows looks unnatural) \ quality dismemberment Even some Monsters(we could cut in half the harpy, and now - we can't even cut off the wolf head), beautiful interface (He was small and refined, rather than the huge and simple like now).

Last edited:
Yrden in the previous game was too exploitable. See that huge-ass Arachas/Draug over there? Just cast yrden and wait until he walks in it, then stab his back for 200% damage until he dies or until you need to repeat.

Yrden in this one seems to be alot more reasonable and less prone to exploits.

It's very similar to TW1's inventory. It's grid based with equipment taking up rectangular slots like in TW1. It just takes up the entire screen (Which I can understand not liking) and has a bit more separation of types of items (I hope we get a "Show all" tab)

It's going to work a hell of a lot better with KBM than TW2's inventory did I imagine.

Compare

Sorry, but the two inventories are totally different. For once, the inventory in TW1 only uses half of the screen. Most objects/assets are A LOT smaller as well. There are PC/mouse specific standard buttons (like X for closing). The artistic level/design is COMPLETELY different. The layout of stuff you wear is completely different and located around the player model. Item descriptions are handled by mouse-over effects (just like it should be - because we can on PC).

The only obvious similarity is the grid based inventory. That's about it. And of course that both systems are there for the same function which makes them somehow similar by nature...

Did u notice. that PAX and GDC gameplays have less effects, compare to 35min gameplay?
In the old 35min gameplay was a lot more blood from enemies, but here it is barely visible and immediately disappears
35-minute gameplay also had nice inventory (not this awful) \ puddles of blood (instead of instantly disappearing little spray that barely have time to notice, and not as it is now, without blood - blows looks unnatural) \ quality dismemberment Even some Monsters(we could cut in half the harpy, and now - we can't even cut off the wolf head), beautiful interface (He was small and refined, rather than the huge and simple like now).

Are you kidding, things look way better.. did you not see the wind the dust the leaves and trees and grass all blowing around. The shadows the clouds the rockin new combat animations. The new dodge animations look way better than the old mega-man dash, I didn't even mind the mega-man dash but after seeing the new dodge animations of Geralt hopping/jumping back makes me see why people thought the mega-man dash/dodge looked stupid lol..

This is the crowd who CDPR has to convince. Why buy a game if I can not enjoy its minimum?

Imo you're greatly underestimating the "vast majority of PC gamers". Serious core-gamers on PC interested in today's AAA games do usually have a good system at least on the same level as the next-gen consoles. We don't speak about the 80% of the Steam customers with worse hardware. They'll probably won't play TW3 at all or so soon anyway. That's not the core audience. Core audience are core-gamers on PC, people with a good system who regularly play AAA games and are willing to spend 50 bucks on such games.

Imo you're greatly underestimating the "vast majority of PC gamers". Serious core-gamers on PC interested in today's AAA games do usually have a good system at least on the same level as the next-gen consoles. We don't speak about the 80% of the Steam customers with worse hardware. They'll probably won't play TW3 at all or so soon anyway. That's not the core audience. Core audience are core-gamers on PC, people with a good system who regularly play AAA games and are willing to spend 50 bucks on such games.

I thought the core audience was gamers that enjoy good, story driven RPGs, no matter the platform.

You describe it like game design was starting with a question "Which platform are we going to develop for" not "What kind of game are we going to develop".

I thought the core audience was gamers that enjoy good, story driven RPGs, no matter the platform.

You describe it like game design was starting with a question "Which platform are we going to develop for" not "What kind of game are we going to develop".
Platforms? I didn't even talk about platforms at all. I only talked about the possible audience on PC. And yes, it's no secret that with developing a PC game you have to limit the audience to people who have the specs needed for running the thing. That happens automatically sooner or later.

That's not why I understood after CDPR's team words throught these last years....

Platforms? I didn't even talk about platforms at all. I only talked about the possible audience on PC. And yes, it's no secret that with developing a PC game you have to limit the audience to people who have the specs needed for running the thing. That happens automatically sooner or later.

CDPR seems not to enjoy this type of attitute where they should limit the audience of their game to people who enjoy RPGs but only on PC.

Top Bottom