Witcher 3 Gameplay from GDC and PAX

+
One more small thing. Earlier someone complained the team made a mistake because Geralt oiled his silver sword before fighting the royal wyvern.

WRONG!!!

Geralt oiled his steel sword. Silver swords are for magical/otherworldly type creatures (drowners, noonwraith, etc). A wyvern is a beast (like a wolf, a man, a bear) so it gets attacked with the steel sword. :)

Someday, many months will have passed since the release of the game, people will have already finished the game numerous times, played every quest, explored every nook and cranny of the game, tried different mods and all will be satisfied.....................someday, the hot burning TW3 talks will have toned down, downgrade talks will have stopped, TW3 : Wild Hunt threads will have dwindled and all will be forgotten..........but today is not that day, TODAY IS THE DAY WE GROAN AND MOAN AND BITCH ABOUT EVERY LITTLE PLOUGHING BIT OF THE GAME.
Sometimes... :crybaby: ...I wish the Witcher rights had never come to CDPR... :crybaby: .... I wish none of this had happened.... But then I hear Gandalf's voice in my head.

So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

Last edited:
One more small thing. Earlier someone complained the team made a mistake because Geralt oiled his silver sword before fighting the royal wyvern.

WRONG!!!

Geralt oiled his steel sword. Silver swords are for magical/otherworldly type creatures (drowners, noonwraith, etc). A wyvern is a beast (like a wolf, a man, a bear) so it gets attacked with the steel sword. :)

Then this is a new development, because any monster in previous games would take a silver sword.

the bad thing with the witcher senses is that they highlight invisible tracks, which means that the only way to advance the quest is to use them.If they had made the tracks visible, and the witcher senses just a way to facilitate its discovery it would have been at least acceptable

Well actually there's already a huge mark on the minimap before Geralt uses the witcher sense, which is a little more disappointing. Considering you can just "follow the map" instead of learning about the environment and the quest.

When I already played like 5 hours in a row, I don't know if I'll get lazy and ruin the gameplay by heading towards every mark on the map, sometimes you feel tired but you just can't stop.:mean:

Last edited:
Without the yellow markers and arrows you don't know where to use to the Witcher senses after you've accept to the quest though, which makes the "effort gap" much larger than you're giving it credit for. Suddenly, you'd have to pay attention to the quest description to find the location and any clues. In this case we were told the crew was headed north in a wagon, so you know you should probably travel the North road until you find something peculiar. Then you use the Witcher senses, ect.

You know I wasn't actually thinking about it from the perspective of the entire quest. I was basing my thoughts purely on the point of the Wagon being found on-wards.

You're right. Completely and 100% correct - sometimes the cynicism gets the best of me.

Of course, I still don't like the way that when you find the Wagon, using the Senses rail-roads you (And I think that's I'm still correct in that from that point on the difference between Senses and a directional arrow becomes redundant). However you're right in that without the directional arrow guiding you prior to that, you would in-fact have to pay attention to what to look out for, and the direction in which to travel to find it. With of course the possibility being that you might find other stuff along the way which could trick or distract you.

Last edited:

WRONG!!!

Well, wyverns were magical in Witcher 1 since we used silver sword against them ;)
I guess that was the cause of confusion :D

At least it doesn't turn the screen into this.

View attachment 11040

Detective mode, or ruin puzzle mode, or WALL HACK GET OWNED SCRUBS. Is one of the weirdest, and mystifying trends I have seen in gaming. A gameplay mode that gives absolute situational awareness for free. From a gameplay perspective its awful, but from a stupid I am so cool because I can see through walls for no apparent fucking reason, it's awesome. So my feelings are a little mixed about it as far as features go.

Haha, you just described TW2's cat potion! Awful indeed.

Watched the entire stream last night, and I really really loved Damien's and Miles' answers to all the questions! It was actually quite interesting to hear some new stuff about the process of creating The Witcher 3. Coolest bits of info in my opinion:

- How they considered huge levels of environmental destruction in the game. Using a spell in a cave apparently caused all the stalactites and stalagmites to explode and fall and possibly hit enemies, and slashing a rock apparently cut it in half? Still a good thing they toned it down though, otherwise nobody might have been able to run the game.

- The ice-skating. I'm actually sad it got cut, because when I heard about it a month back I suspected it would be to recreate the scene from the books. And I was right! ...except it's no longer in the game. R.I.P BloodOnIce scene, it might've been amazing graphically, story-wise, and gameplay-wise. Not a bummer though, because I understand the rationale of "introducing new game mechanics in the last bit of the game" being bad.

- The development process was organic. I think anyone(?) could suggest something and it could become a feature of the game. That kind of flat structure sounds really awesome because nobody's ideas are being shut out thanks to their "low" position. I hope they continue to use this structure for Cyberpunk 2077! (Although it's probably why the game was delayed twice... but it is the lesser evil so it's totally worth it.)

- Lastly, the living ecosystem. You can slaughter a deer and, depending on whether there are monsters around to smell the carcass, said monsters might come calling. Said monsters might then decide to duke it out over the meat. If there are travelers passing by, they might end up fighting said monsters. And so on. Apparently Miles was galloping along when he ran into some bandits on horseback; they were engaged in combat when all of a sudden endregas attacked and slaughtered the bandits. Naturally, Miles turned and ran for his life (or maybe it was Roach panicking hm). These organic encounters sound really fun, and it's so good to know that the world is perfectly capable of functioning both with and without you.

However, uh... when the stream finally got to the gameplay segment, I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed. I actually thought I enjoyed Damien's and Miles' talking more...

Until I downloaded the HD gameplay footage this morning. Maybe it was my intense level of fatigue the previous night or the horrible stream quality, but I have no idea why I felt as disappointed as I did. The gameplay's AMAZING! I think I discovered a new level of heaven watching it in HD-

Shall post my impressions of the gameplay in a separate, well, post since this one's getting quite long. In the meantime, thank you CDPR for all your hard work, thank you Damien and Miles for being at PAX and giving such an awesome presentation, thank you twitch for making streams so easy, and damn you twitch for the stream's quality! Kudos!

Last edited:
Then this is a new development, because any monster in previous games would take a silver sword.

The silver sword is used during the fight anyway. Oil is applied to the sword which isn't used. Si I guess when they make the video they just didn't realise. Not a big deal^^

Vindafarna: Nop wolves and Barghest were sensible to steel in the first witcher :)

Interesting. I've always thought steel swords are to be against humans only.

The steel sword was better than silver on non-magical creatures like wolves in the earlier games. I think the discrepancies come in when you start to ask if a wyvern is a magical creature or not.

And there were quite a few times in the earlier games when animations showed Geralt using the wrong sword.

It happened to me so many times to do that mistake in the beginning. Drink three potions, oil my silver sword and attack a Arachas with a steel sword XD Or the other way around. Attacking Bandits with silver XD

When I already played like 5 hours in a row, I don't know if I'll get lazy and ruin the gameplay by heading towards every mark on the map, sometimes you feel tired but you just can't stop.:mean:
This happens to me in nearly every RPG I play (at least the ones with quest-trackers.) It really takes the fun out of the game.

This sidequest looks great. I hope others is sharing the same quality of realisation. And if so, I'm afraid of what we going to see in main storyline.

::)

@gregskiI almost wonder if The Witcher 3 is meant to be an open-world game where you don't do a lot of exploration.

That would be a gamebreaker for me. But i don't believe they would make such a stupid decision. Yes, TW2 was not big on exploration, but the game world was small.

I just noticed most of the buildings around the quest giver have been burned a lot. I wonder what happened there. Nilfgaard possibly? One also makes the comment "Temeria will be free again"

I don't get it, why they can't say that it was a simple mistake putting the oil in the wrong blade?!

I mean it happens, and there is nothing wrong with it. But instead they try to fix it saying something contradictory since the steel sword was never used against the Wyvern in the video and it was never meant to use against monsters.

I really dont get it.

If im not forced to use WS, then i really dont care. My point is that quests shouldn't be affected by witcher senses cause at the end of the day we can find every quest or target without using this. Its just feature for casual players who needs handholding.

Casual players should just fu.... themselves and play other games if you ask me.

How many good game series have been killed by trying to cater to casuals and the "mass appeal"? This approach more than often damages or destroys the very elements that gave the series its unique and great appeal in the first place.

The dumbing down is sadly strong in W3... :(

Someone should start a petition against these stupid Witcher senses....

Oh, and PC-on-high and Xbox are the very same thing, quality wise. So it makes no difference. The point is tha this footage obviously isn't the best possible and we should ask why? Again some sort of fu..... up "platform parity" thing because someone at Microsoft or Sony fears that their customers would be disppointed by the console version? I can't hear that shit anymore, really. I thought CDPR would be better than that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom