Witcher 3 GOTY freezing and crashing to desktop.

+
so after i saw the netflix serie i decided to play the witcher 3 and it froze and crashed, i was sure it's no big deal, but the same thing happend. i never had any problems like that with the game or any game in general. i saw that a lot of people had the same problem, so i was wondering if anyone found a fix to that. thx in advance. (btw i have it on steam not GOG). my specs are:
GPU: 1080ti O11GB asus
CPU: intel i7 7700 3.6GHz
RAM: i7 7700 3.6GHz
PSU: 700W

Last edited:
I'd need to know more about your computer. Otherwise, it's tricky to say much about it...

But in general, check out these threads from support:

All of these suggestions are worth trying! Also, make sure that you are not trying to play the game with an integrated graphics card because those are not supported. Overclocking GPU/CPU/Ram is also known to cause issues in some cases.

Mekc

Forum regular
Install 399.24 nvidia drivers until (maybe) nvidia or cdprojectred fixes it.

1070 Ti and 1080 Ti on 400.XX+ drivers freeze Witcher 3.

hi, i started a new game plus and im having no problems so far, i think blood and wine DLC was to blame since it seems to only crash there.

Mekc

Forum regular
hi, i started a new game plus and im having no problems so far, i think blood and wine DLC was to blame since it seems to only crash there.
Not sure about that. I guess it depends on the heaviness of graphics in the zone. First zone is quite simple (and may not cause crash?). Report if everything is alright (or not) pls.

I found the fix:
Just uninstall it (Keep a copy of your savegame) then reinstall it in an HDD drive
I had installed it on SSd but it was freezing all time
So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it in an external HDD hard drive and now it's working perfectly!

I found the fix:
Just uninstall it (Keep a copy of your savegame) then reinstall it in an HDD drive
So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it in an external HDD hard drive and now it's working perfectly!

So I noticed the same thing. I have two M2 SSD drives and moved the exe. file to both and had crashing on both different drives ( Samsung Evo Plus, and Toshiba SSD) , the freezing with sound would happen, then exit to desktop. When i tried to move it to HDD, it worked fine. I have never had this problem in the past with my SSD until maybe 7 months ago. Not sure what it is, but just wanted to share what I was experiencing.

I found the fix:
So I noticed the same thing. I have two M2 SSD drives and moved the exe. file to both and had crashing on both different drives ( Samsung Evo Plus, and Toshiba SSD) , the freezing with sound would happen, then exit to desktop. When i tried to move it to HDD, it worked fine. I have never had this problem in the past with my SSD until maybe 7 months ago. Not sure what it is, but just wanted to share what I was experiencing.

Hm. That's definitely not a direct cause-effect situation. Sounds more like the M.2 drives are either not configured properly in the BIOS / UEFI, or perhaps the existing file system isn't jiving with them.

It could also be slot issue -- you could check to see if you have the drive installed to the most optimal PCIe slot according to the number of other drives you have installed, the types of drives you're using, and where the OS is installed. (This will be motherboard specific, so you'll need to check the manual. Super-important consideration if your mo-bo has more than 1 PCIe slot.)

While moving the game to a slower drive may work around the issue, that is definitely remedying the symptom and not the cause. I would say it's likely that you'll encounter related issues with some other program in the future unless it's rectified at the hardware level. (Plus, no reason that you wouldn't want to use your fastest drive for gaming!)

Top Bottom