Witcher 3 Graphics... are good once you fix them.

+
Witcher 3 Graphics... are good once you fix them.

My graphics card arrived from being repaired today so have finally spent some time on w3!!

First things first.. its absolutely compulsory to use a sweetfx preset with this game. What you get out of the box is so much so 'wow gayness'. Its frikkin elwynn forest. Sweetfx fixes these great..

I'm using this one: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3696/ (really click this to see the screenshots..) There's more choices if you click the breadcrumb on that page.

The first time you get 'disappointed' with the graphics must be the point after the intro flashback where you get to the water... i was thinking all sorts of upsetting things.. stupid watercolor painting... yuck... frikkin wow... Its really not good and needs sweetfx.

My opinion on the foliage? Well so far.. the environment design itself is damn flawless.. the position of each tree/shrub/rock/thing is damn perfect. Its just what sprouts out of the ground that a little messy. Given how bad they are.. well what helps is you must run at the native resolution of your monitor.. typically this doesn't doesn't get noticed, but given how they are what they are... this little bit of clarity seems to help.

Last I think all the stuff about nvidia non maxwell cards is a bit stupid.. yes fps is low.. but my gpu usage is at 99% always... and does whats on screen look like it would actually use that much gpu power? Yes definitely.

The standard things you do when unhappy with your framerate in the nvidia world.. guess what, they make a huge difference here too.. in the nvidia control panel force triple buffering, and set max prerendered frames to either 2 or 3.. It does make a noticable difference to smoothness. I'm running at 2560x1600, no gameworks features, everything ultra except foliage distance..

Anyways, good luck. One needs to fix the graphics in witcher 3.. see the above link for what mine is currently running like. Its night and day :p

EDIT: I haven't had as much fun PCMR fun since, well getting the 780ti. Some further data that might help people make the most out of it:

- Sharpening is a super important setting to have enabled. It really clears up the foliage mud quite a bit. The one in the game is okay, but if you're using sweetfx.. enabling lumasharpen in the config gets amazing results. It makes what you get get pretty damn close to "next gen". If you look at doctor's screenshots especially of the town.. seems that most of the awesome comes from that setting. Unfortunately its noticably expensive.. you definitely feel the hit.

- Overclocking GPU memory seems to make a huge difference, at least for my card more than the core.

I've spent some quality time going through all the post processing and graphics settings, most of the post process you can turn off, i'm only running blur, antialiasing (im guessing this is fxaa, and seems to smooth the fps out), bloom, HBAO+ (its definitely nicer than SSAO), and light shafts. Rest are off.

Out of the graphics settings i have shadows set to high (couldn't tell the difference between ultra) and foliage distance set to high.. I tried this on medium as well since lowing this gave back relatively alot of fps.. but when bolting around its a little bit too noticable on medium. I'm not sure if you would notice once you've finished benchmarking and are playing proper tho.. good chance not. Rest is on ultra.

Fun!

Last edited:
Agreed. The game looks absolutely beautiful with a good SweetFX preset to remove that horrible yellow tint someone thought it was a good idea to splash all over everything.

EDIT: I've been experimenting with different ones, but this is the one I'm liking the most so far: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3701/ (For NVIDIA users: this one looks best if you enable Anisotropic filtering via the NVIDIA Control Panel, otherwise you get strange shimmering on some surfaces like chainmail)

Last edited:
Yup can't play this without reshade. It look too cartoony otherwise and it doesn't fit with this game cause it low fantasy, not high fantasy.

wazaa

Forum veteran
I don't know what you have versus "watercolor painting". I love the graphics as they are.

Anyway, if the mod makes you happier... Go for it.

That profile like many others looks terrible.

I like it. To my eyes it makes the biggest difference to the papercraft trees they put in the game at a distance. The lower vibrancy effect makes it a little more believable.

---------- Updated at 07:09 AM ----------

I don't know what you have versus "watercolor painting". I love the graphics as they are.

Anyway, if the mod makes you happier... Go for it.

Geralt and the chickens (and barrels etc) stick out really painfully out of the blurry mess... If npc's were cell drawn i could see it.. but not as it is...??

Here is thread with my profile...
Wanted to remove yellow tint, nothing more.. Added some contrast, color correction and sharpening... Small tweaks, but I like it more than "yellow vanilla"...

Very nice, i can see how yours is more true the game style, minus the world of warcraft. I personally enjoyed the more realistic lighting mods when playing skyrim, so have gone for those first here too. Nice images!!

I have to agree that the color in the game are a little too shiny. I think they did this to balance the already dark mood and feeling of the game and to appeal to a larger audience (mainly consoles gamer that are in general younger than PC ones), but for the more hardcore fans of the witcher using sweetfx + reshade is a must to bring back some more toned down colours and a darker mood.

hats off to the giuys who are getting us those presets ;)

SweetFX won't activate for me. Atleast it doesn't say "Successfull" at the beginning. I followed the instruction on the Preset page :(

Now it's working ^^
Not sure if I like it better this way. Gonna try some out.

I agree the game is beautiful but the yellow tint spoils it quite a bit. I am using the same preset as OP, it's almost perfect.

Better, nicer, amazing. But far from 2014 gameplays. Not even talking 2013..... just 2014 is so far from the actual game, even modded. 35 min gameplay shows something so much better than we got.

The difficulty with a lot of these are that it leaves the night and shadows in the day far too dark. I'm all for enhancing/tweaking the graphics but it's pointless if everything in shade is impossible to see

The difficulty with a lot of these are that it leaves the night and shadows in the day far too dark. I'm all for enhancing/tweaking the graphics but it's pointless if everything in shade is impossible to see

The one Doktor posted does just fine during the nighttime, as does the one I posted. Caves are slightly darker, but in those situations you'd be drinking Cat anyway.

Look at this gallery and tell me taht shadows and night pictures are dark? There are two night pictures...

I haven't had as much fun PCMR fun since, well getting the 780ti. Some further data that might help people make the most out of it:

- Sharpening is a super important setting to have enabled. It really clears up the foliage mud quite a bit. The one in the game is okay, but if you're using sweetfx.. enabling lumasharpen in the config gets amazing results. It makes what you get get pretty damn close to "next gen". If you look at doctor's screenshots especially of the town.. seems that most of the awesome comes from that setting. Unfortunately its noticably expensive.. you definitely feel the hit.

- Overclocking GPU memory seems to make a huge difference, at least for my card more than the core.

I've spent some quality time going through all the post processing and graphics settings, most of the post process you can turn off, i'm only running blur, antialiasing (im guessing this is fxaa, and seems to smooth the fps out), bloom, HBAO+ (its definitely nicer than SSAO), and light shafts. Rest are off.

Out of the graphics settings i have shadows set to high (couldn't tell the difference between ultra) and foliage distance set to high.. I tried this on medium as well since lowing this gave back relatively alot of fps.. but when bolting around its a little bit too noticable on medium. I'm not sure if you would notice once you've finished benchmarking and are playing proper tho.. good chance not. Rest is on ultra.

Better, nicer, amazing. But far from 2014 gameplays. Not even talking 2013..... just 2014 is so far from the actual game, even modded. 35 min gameplay shows something so much better than we got.

Are you drunk ?

Actual build is way better. I'm playing on 1440p, extreme, ini tweaked and sweetfx. the game is way better than 35min gameplay, and better than VGX trailer.

When i 've entered in the swamp for the 1st time it was just whoa

Top Bottom