Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah at some point. I've clocked 70 hours already and am only up to the quest to go see triss in novigrad.

Is that your mod on nexus? Could I make a request/suggestion!?

Any chance you could make an alternate especially for the novigrad csv that sets the probability of the weather types that cause the bad white skybox to zero? Assuming that actually disables them. It sounds like you're trying to fix them proper which is the high ground, but some people are sensitive and it may be received well in the meantime! I'm just feeling lazy to install the debug console mod and find out which weather types they are :) Anyways, thanks for the mod.

Try my preset anyway. Load a save to a small village and meditate to 6-9pm. That's the best to get some advertisement screenshots. The forests around when it rains is also very nice.

---------- Updated at 10:01 PM ----------

Try my preset :)

yes ofc, you could just remove these weather profiles that could cause the overly bright sky. even better, you could even load these sick puffy cumulus_particles_big_shafts.w2p clouds. but you will still not get back that the clouds would appear super dark, as if they would if there was a rain storm or just bad weather, since this environment settings file used for that also dimms the light etc. to have the clouds appear darker.

You'll have to excuse my n00bness here as I've just been trying to play Witcher 3 rather than mod it but thats not going to last there is WAY too much that is just unbalanced or outright stupid I do not like. I have 2 questions really;

1. Is there any good lighting and weather mods around yet? I would especially like a weather mod that desaturates colours a bit so they look more realistic and adds quite a bit more volumetric fog to give things more of the war ravaged gloomy feel from the E3 stuff.

2. Can someone point me in the right direction of modding tools for this game?

yes ofc, you could just remove these weather profiles that could cause the overly bright sky. even better, you could even load these sick puffy cumulus_particles_big_shafts.w2p clouds. but you will still not get back that the clouds would appear super dark, as if they would if there was a rain storm or just bad weather, since this environment settings file used for that also dimms the light etc. to have the clouds appear darker.

Lol, so does that mean you're going to make an alternate version? hehehhehe

---------- Updated at 10:38 PM ----------

Well, since we are here exchanging presets. I finally finished my personal E3 one (well, I could also change the title because I don't care that much if it looks the same as the E3 demo, I just care for it to be beautiful, but naturally the two things go in common as the lightning in the 35 gameplay demo was very good imo) and so if someone is interested you can take a look at it.

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3817/

Or the full bundle that includes also the medieval preset and the VGX one (well, this last is just for fun, really, but strangely someone either likes it; people are strange):
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/132/?

Screenshots are pre final version so please if you want to evaluate the E3 preset be sure to try it in game. I think I spent more time in tuning that preset than to make a complete C++ program ;)

Just tried your presets and its by far the nicest colorful one. I felt like saying there was just a fraction too much yellow still there sometimes, but nope its damn perfect :)

Does make mine look a little blank, lol, but i still prefer it.. i can't deal with the really out of place colors in novigrad when you add back color, and just in my imagination.. something more bleak matches a merger of the witcher books+eastern europe (ive never been so its all fantasy) looks like more than lots of colors.

Great job though, its excellent!! Just mod it to match the cutscene lighting, a bit more gamma lift plus adjusting everything else to compensate should do the trick.

yesterday i was in the middle of the story line. On course at the start of the main quest on skellige.Not aware what happened around me. fully into the story.....until the scene showed me an object appearing and disappering in the background on sea. (I'm describing it this way to avoid spoilers). gone was the moment...a real shame.
Not the first time this kind of stuff is getting me out of the story. I like the game very much , so this kind of things are a real let down for me in this game. Hope it will be fixed.

Had the same exact thing. That crap bugged the hell out of me. And there are a bunch of stuff like that. Again I tested running through puddles in Novigrad, same result - no water splashing, no animation at all, just sounds of it splashing. Geralt must be Jesus or something if he can walk on water without disturbing it.

Last edited:
You'll have to excuse my n00bness here as I've just been trying to play Witcher 3 rather than mod it but thats not going to last there is WAY too much that is just unbalanced or outright stupid I do not like. I have 2 questions really;

1. Is there any good lighting and weather mods around yet? I would especially like a weather mod that desaturates colours a bit so they look more realistic and adds quite a bit more volumetric fog to give things more of the war ravaged gloomy feel from the E3 stuff.

2. Can someone point me in the right direction of modding tools for this game?

1. Not really. Some clever community members discovered a better lighting mode that was already built into the game and disabled for no other imagineable reason than console parity. This has been enabled via a mod on nexus though is a little bit experimental. Many people feel the way you do though, and there are many many sweetfx presets to choose from.

2. The developers are working on dlc and paid expansion content right now. Once they have a chance they will.

Some of the sweetfx presets will remove the yellow and fix the shadows so best start there.

Had the same exact thing. That crap bugged the hell out of me. And there are a bunch of stuff like that. Again I tested running through puddles in Novigrad, same result - no water splashing, no animation at all, just sounds of it splashing. Geralt must be Jesus or something if he can walk on water without distirbing it.

I haven't updated to 1.05.. i still see splashes.. maybe not in novigrad though.

The difference is light and day. The original shot is what PC version should've looked like, what we have now is pure last gen (or maybe 2 generations back even).

---------- Updated at 08:32 AM ----------

2. The developers are working on dlc and paid expansion content right now. Once they have a chance they will [fix the lighting].

They might or they might not actually, no one knows for sure.

I haven't updated to 1.05.. i still see splashes.. maybe not in novigrad though.

I'm still at 1.04 too and I actually regret updating to 1.04, should've stayed on 1.03. Try really low-depth puddles, the ones that look like mirrors lying on the ground - it's ridiculous. Somewhere close to fish market would be a good place to test it.

Just installed LIGHT MOD... its terribad :). Don't install it. We need to wait for redkit or some custon env files.

2. The developers are working on dlc and paid expansion content right now. Once they have a chance they will.
You must be joking, are you a CDPR insider? Do you HONESTLY even believe in the slightest in what you just wrote?

They will most certainly not upgrade the entire lighting system/engine for PC users because they also have their user base on consoles, do you even understand what kind of PR disaster it would be for them? And pointing out the limits of the consoles won't matter.

Console parity has been the objective for them since the day they found out the new consoles were weaker than what they had expected, this is why we have terrible LOD on PC and no possibility of increasing even through advanced config file tweaking it since it's coded into the game that way, this is why we got an inferior lighting system.

At most we will get a new RedKit but that'll only happen after they finished all the DLC and expansions, who knows how long it will take...it took a year for Witcher 2, sorry but that is way too long. Plus Witcher 2 had an Enhanced Edition, and from all the interviews we've seen, it does not look like they will make one for Witcher 3 due to their focus on Cyberpunk.

Just installed LIGHT MOD... its terribad :). Don't install it. We need to wait for redkit or some custon env files.
If that's all you got to offer, perhaps I LOVE YOU SO HARD.
It's better than vanilla, it's better than nothing.

---------- Updated at 12:04 AM ----------

@Smurfin He meant exactly what he said. @-Olek He was talking specifically about mod tools.
He was talking specifically about CDPR giving special treatment for PC and backtracking on the lighting downgrade. He was quite specific about that.

@-Olek : that wasn't very civil. Don't recommend that people stay quiet, unless you feel the need to do that for a few days yourself. ONLY A WEEK ago, that wouldn't even be a choice...

Last edited by a moderator:
People have overinflated hopes regarding Enhanced Edition. if I remember correctly Enhanced Editions previous Witcher games were basically vanilla games with all the patches installed, they have not done any major game overhauls, just squashing bugs and that's it.

Combat Rebalance mod for Witcher 1 was made by one guy who then was hired by CDPR and he also made Combat Rebalance mod for Witcher 2.

IF they do an overhaul of graphics (lighting, particle effects etc.) it would be a miracle but then CDPR would truly be praised for their commitment.

it does not look like they will make one for Witcher 3 due to their focus on Cyberpunk.
This year and the next year are the years of the withcer, CD Projekt Red CEO Adam Kicinski told Reuters.
Only God knows the future. You should never be so absolute in your life. I have the utmost faith that CDPR won't let us down in the end.

If that's all you got to offer, perhaps stay quiet instead.

It's better than vanilla, it's better than nothing.

I've also tested it and it's not any better. Only the shadows change, they become more soft.

@Saorise
What can be accomplished by "Directly manipulate values for the variables stored in the .env files!" ?
Is it more accurate lighting for various locations and not globally using cutscene or else ?

1. Not really. Some clever community members discovered a better lighting mode that was already built into the game and disabled for no other imagineable reason than console parity. This has been enabled via a mod on nexus though is a little bit experimental. Many people feel the way you do though, and there are many many sweetfx presets to choose from.

Some of the sweetfx presets will remove the yellow and fix the shadows so best start there.

I'm a very experienced modder that just so happens to be used to dealing with game engines suffering from a combination of the twitches and Tourettes (think X-Ray engine..) so with some info from you guys I can start doing some digging and see what I can turn up and implement into a mod. I always suspected something amiss with Witcher 3 as in all honesty with the exception of the shadows the game does not look one jot better than Skyrim does with HD texture and character model mods. The geometry especially on corners in Witcher 3 just looks horrendous, I've not seen geometry that bad since the vanilla version of Shadow of Chernobyl on X-Ray 1.0. If the devs REALLY had to cut down geometry the very least they could of done is use parallax mapping.

But anyway, I'm starting to digress... if you guys can fill me in with info about just what has been found to date and in what file thats simply disabled just because I can begin to take up my modding arms once more.

If I remember correctly Enhanced Editions previous Witcher games were basically vanilla games with all the patches installed, they have not done any major game overhauls, just squashing bugs and that's it.

You remember wrong. Go check the face models of the Witcher 1 respective editions.

@Septerra_Core,
1) Well can you provide proof?
2) And what about the second game? What essential things were bettered in Enhanced Edition?
3) And lastly do you really think that updating freaking face models takes the same amount of effort as returning complex particle effects and overhauling lighting for all areas of an open-world game?

P.S. I don't know if it's been posted yet but here's a mod that keeps Hairworks on monsters but removes it from Geralt - http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/165/?

I'm a very experienced modder that just so happens to be used to dealing with game engines suffering from a combination of the twitches and Tourettes (think X-Ray engine..) so with some info from you guys I can start doing some digging and see what I can turn up and implement into a mod. I always suspected something amiss with Witcher 3 as in all honesty with the exception of the shadows the game does not look one jot better than Skyrim does with HD texture and character model mods. The geometry especially on corners in Witcher 3 just looks horrendous, I've not seen geometry that bad since the vanilla version of Shadow of Chernobyl on X-Ray 1.0. If the devs REALLY had to cut down geometry the very least they could of done is use parallax mapping.

But anyway, I'm starting to digress... if you guys can fill me in with info about just what has been found to date and in what file thats simply disabled just because I can begin to take up my modding arms once more.

Im no modder but i think this is all the mods that are out for Witcher 3 at the moment:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/categories/?

I lot of them has to do with SweetFX

Some of them are pretty fun like the Debug Console

Politely suggesting someone to perhaps stay quiet because he said nothing constructive but instead called the mod "terribad" and told people not to install it, is considered an insult?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom