Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@IrregularJohn just google it, the wikia's have a list of what was changed and adding particles and stuff like that is a lot easier for them than you think. Certainly easier than the entire texture/animation overhauls both games got. Modders already can overhaul the lighting too.

This lighting conditions in this picture are really different. I am not sure it is a very accurate comparison

http://uploadir.com/u/7pdtpf0h.gif

That being said, whoever took the shot did an incredible job lining up all the parts of the shot so perfectly with the 2013 screenie.

Textures, foliage quality look the same.

That being said, there is a clear beam of light shining down in the current build pic lighting the canopy, so the reflections on the water can probably be said to be toned down quite a bit.

But then again, we have to think about the depth of the water too. It is obviously a lot deeper in the new pic. I mean there are practically little waves in it, whereas the old pic the water was like ankle deep it seems.

@IrregularJohn just google it, the wikia's have a list of what was changed and adding particles and stuff like that is a lot easier for them than you think. Certainly easier than the entire texture/animation overhauls both games got. Modders already can overhaul the lighting too.

Not necessarily. Textures are one of the easiest things to modify in games once the proper tools are out. There are tons of retexture mods for Skyrim and even GTA5 at this point. But there are very few particle effect tweaks.

Animation is probably the hardest thing to tweak. More complicated. And not ever modder has access to state of the art mo cap tech so most of the animation mods are very basic and choppy.

Honestly I haven't played both games when they were just released, I've played both when Enhanced Edition were available. If they indeed overhauled texture/animation for both games like you said then there are two things that come to mind:

1) CDPR releases games when they are not ready for release, I mean if something can be improved - do it and then release it.

2) There is a slight hope after all that at least some of the stuff shown in that 37 gameplay video might return.

@Wolfmeister1010 You cannot replicate the lighting or weather conditions and the water shader is completely different which is why you see waves, both are shallow. The area itself is the same but the arty style and shaders were changed. It doesn't look anything likehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpP8BRE63PY&feature=youtu.be&t=51

You must be joking, are you a CDPR insider? Do you HONESTLY even believe in the slightest in what you just wrote?

Quite so. Go back to the post i was replying to, the person was asking about modding tools, and i firmly believe we'll get redkit once they're done with the dlc.

---------- Updated at 01:24 AM ----------

I'm still at 1.04 too and I actually regret updating to 1.04, should've stayed on 1.03. Try really low-depth puddles, the ones that look like mirrors lying on the ground - it's ridiculous. Somewhere close to fish market would be a good place to test it.

Yeah. There must be this unheard majority making support tickets and asking for refunds because their 750ti's and radeon cards can't run witcher 3. Publically people are screaming and whimpering in tears for them to -better- the graphics, but there's something else going on there if they did it -again-. No more patches for me until i find a strong blocking quest bug i think.

Its probably even worse because the kids making these tickets are probably complaining because they can't run the game on ULTRA.. like the bad performance pr explosion that happened for a few days after launch. If there are many console in disguise players who only know ultra it makes sense why they're lobotomizing the top graphics for everyone.

---------- Updated at 01:34 AM ----------

1) CDPR releases games when they are not ready for release, I mean if something can be improved - do it and then release it.

Unfortunately i'm inclined to agree with olek on this one. See, cdpr's actual RESULTS in the past made us believe this. The RESULTS we got this time are like they're from not the same company. And they haven't cleared it up publically either.. so i'm not assuming anything as far as CDPR goes in the future. A great example is the little red note you get in the game.. in the past cdpr spoke with actual stuff.. they didn't need to speak to boast, what was in our hands spoke for itself. In w3, they're using words as a replacement.... I feel for you not being around to see old cdpr in action :)

Hop on ebay and see if you can get some deluxe editions at least of w2. Makes premium w3 feel like a cheap ea game in comparison.

Last edited:
Hop on ebay and see if you can get some deluxe editions at least of w2. Makes premium w3 feel like a cheap ea game in comparison.

By pre-ordering Expansion packs (using their Season pass) I actually got 2 activations codes for both The Witcher & The Witcher 2 Enhanced Editions. Not that I needed them or anything (I already have them). I'm probably 99% sure I'll never replay The Witcher 2, that game didn't resonate with me at all.

The Witcher though is a complete 180, there is a couple of HD texture mods on ModDB (both for character models and all the other textures) and I think I'll try them out sometime.

P.S. It's hilarious how TW3 is the same as TW1 in terms of copy-pasted character models. I might see one person (that I remembered from a quest I've done several days ago) show up in another and I wonder if it's the same person or not. The same goes for the guy who voiced Roche - he apparently also voiced over a couple 1-line NPCs and he dit it with the same intonation and flair, I actually thought it might've been Roche disguised as someone else and that was not the case.

Attention to detail, my ass.

Last edited:
I just updated the Cutscene Lighting Mod. You can now choose your own envBlend intensity to play around and see which setting you like the most, if you do at all.

I guess give it a try.

Download: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/154/

Attachments

• ih4A5aR.png
    ih4A5aR.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 42
The difference is light and day. The original shot is what PC version should've looked like, what we have now is pure last gen (or maybe 2 generations back even).
2 generations of what?

Usually when people talk about gen they're either talking about the console generation or engine generation. Whatever it is you meant, you're grossly exaggerating to the nth degree.

By pre-ordering Expansion packs (using their Season pass) I actually got 2 activations codes for both The Witcher & The Witcher 2 Enhanced Editions. Not that I needed them or anything (I already have them). I'm probably 99% sure I'll never replay The Witcher 2, that game didn't resonate with me at all.

The Witcher though is a complete 180, there is a couple of HD texture mods on ModDB (both for character models and all the other textures) and I think I'll try them out sometime.

P.S. It's hilarious how TW3 is the same as TW1 in terms of copy-pasted character models. I might see one person (that I remembered from a quest I've done several days ago) show up in another and I wonder if it's the same person or not. The same goes for the guy who voiced Roche - he apparently also voiced over a couple 1-line NPCs and he dit it with the same intonation and flair, I actually thought it might've been Roche disguised as someone else and that was not the case.

Attention to detail, my ass.

Well as far as the game of w3 goes i'm actually quite happy with it, as i've fixed and added what i want and we don't have any better looking games to make w3 look average. The npc's are a downgrade from witcher 2, but since that's more an open world compromise than a console compromise i can live with that. eg, w3 in no way has scenes with the number of npc's in the docks at novigrad eg. If you use the right preset, cutscene lighting and pyramid based lumasharpen in your profile npc skin looks quite impressive (except in the sex scenes... go figure).

Yeah, i just won't be blind to the fact that now that cdpr has a legion of fanboys who think cdpr are the most ethical developer in the world towards players interests, they can spend that reputation and go cheap, cutting down and downgrading themselves from the class of activity that earned them the reputation in the first place. In the past they didn't need to use words and pr management.. they achieved their high reputation via other means and i prefer this to the many masters other than players cdpr.

Still, i need to end that as far as the game goes i'm quite happy... Finding the right quality vs fps settings/preset/setup did the trick for me.. keep looking!!! 1.04 was actually an okay compromise.. Their nerfed LOD distance which let me bump the foliage distance to ultra which turned out better than high on 1.03.. not impossible.

I just updated the Cutscene Lighting Mod. You can now choose your own envBlend intensity to play around and see which setting you like the most, if you do at all.

I guess give it a try.

Download: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/154/

Whats env blend do? Any explanation appreciated.

EDIT: Intensity? That's not really the problem? Eg, if you're open minded, the crazy bloom looks very realistic.. try looking at the sun in the afternoon and see what the world looks like....

Its just the white sky and fog... Is it just me or is just the color is somehow wrong.. in one my screenshots from the rain.. it could be there is a fog at the same distance from the character away.. its just a different color?

Last edited:
Whats env blend do? Any explanation appreciated.

we think that it is the strength with what the lighting values from the .env file are applied in the environment...

1.0 (very bright) was original value in lighting mod 0.03 from cutscene.env

now you can adjust that

That's terrible advice. If developers would follow that advice games would literally NEVER be released.

So..what.. "Just screw it and release it now"?

There needs to be a balance. If something obviously can be improved within a realistic amount of time, budget, manpower, ect, then it should be done. If they think a certain mechanic will only live to its "truest potential" if an entirely new mechanic is created to compliment it, that is when devs decide to leave it as it is or scrap it.

So..what.. "Just screw it and release it now"?

There needs to be a balance. If something obviously can be improved within a realistic amount of time, budget, manpower, ect, then it should be done. If they think a certain mechanic will only live to its "truest potential" if an entirely new mechanic is created to compliment it, that is when devs decide to leave it as it is or scrap it.

"A piece of art is never finished, it's merely abandoned by the artist." - Leonardo DaVinci.

Same rings true for videogames as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom