Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't care man, they are rich now!

Well, if that's the meaning of life and all, if one doesn't care about pride in ones work. Either they don't sleep well because they screwed up, or they don't sleep well because they screwed people over, or they don't sleep well because this bed of money they're sleeping on isn't as big as it could be. Fact is if they only care about being rich, then they care about being richer. Where you can't bank on integrity or pride then you can bank on avarice. And Millian is right, this can affect how people perceive them for the rest of their existence.

Yeah I can understand what your saying. And obviously the bait and switch they pulled was terrible. However there is quite a few articles from the developers stating that the game couldn't of existed in the state that everyone like yourself was 'sold' on.

I call that bullsh$t, I mean on part of the developers, not you that is. They could've at least manage to make a "real" or "as intended" PC version. I mean geese, they already made those assets, that game was being made at some point, and then they changed it drastically. I am 100% sure they still have the 2013 game unfinished obvously, but they have it. You see, I live in a South American country and I can smell bullsh$t from miles away, the experience my friend, the experience.

They could have said; "We'll release the PC version 3 months later", and the PC crowd would have accepted it, grinding their teeth, but they would've. CDProjekt could've even told the PC crowd: "Please if you want, buy the console version, so the PC version can be even better!" and I tell you they would have done it! PC gamers had 100% confidence on CDProjekt.

Last edited:
I just hope they can at least bring back the level of detail from the 35 min gameplay video. It shouldn't be too difficult since the gameplay video had the same build.

Looks like grass is a pretty demanding setting for this game but I can't help but feel CDPR could have optimized the grass a lot more seeing as a game like Crysis 3 has more advanced grass than witcher 3 but it doesn't tank your fps

I call that bullsh$t, I mean on part of the developers, not you that is. They could've at least manage to make a "real" or "as intended" PC version. I mean geese, they already made those assets, that game was being made at some point, and then they changed it drastically. I am 100% sure they still have the 2013 game unfinished obvously, but they have it. You see, I live in a South American country and I can smell bullsh$t from miles away, the experience my friend, the experience.

They could have said; "We'll release the PC version 3 months later", and the PC crowd would have accepted it, grinding their teeth, but they would've. CDProjekt could've even told the PC crowd: "Please if you want, buy the console version, so the PC version can be even better!" and I tell you they would have done it! PC gamers had 100% confidence on CDProjekt.

Yep I totally agree with you and it's nice to see someone actually discussing the downgrade and being civil about it. The only two points I would make would be

1. It was said by one of the developers that a lot of those amazing looking screen shots etc from the first build obviously look nice but the filtering/rendering became painful (Not really the best word) to the eyes on extended play time. I suppose this could easily be bull but it was mentioned so I brought it up.

2. A lot of the initial assets that everybody loved were made well before the console versions were even considered. However dialing every back and pushing the game out on consoles allowed them to have a higher projected profit and as a result a larger budget with which to add more areas, quests, features etc.

But saying all that I strongly agree with your last statement. Delaying the PC version to make it more on par with earlier assets and such would have been preferred by most. Really though it's a lose - lose situation. If they had done as you suggested there would of been just as many threads complaining about that.

Overall I don't think CDPR should lose people's confidence. They are a great company. And while not being very transparent about the downgrade problem they probably picked the lesser of two evils. Hell they could be pulling a UbiSoft or EA and charging us $4 for a sword. Or over pricing their expansions. Neither of which is the case.

Yep I totally agree with you and it's nice to see someone actually discussing the downgrade and being civil about it. The only two points I would make would be

1. It was said by one of the developers that a lot of those amazing looking screen shots etc from the first build obviously look nice but the filtering/rendering became painful (Not really the best word) to the eyes on extended play time. I suppose this could easily be bull but it was mentioned so I brought it up.

2. A lot of the initial assets that everybody loved were made well before the console versions were even considered. However dialing every back and pushing the game out on consoles allowed them to have a higher projected profit and as a result a larger budget with which to add more areas, quests, features etc.

But saying all that I strongly agree with your last statement. Delaying the PC version to make it more on par with earlier assets and such would have been preferred by most. Really though it's a lose - lose situation. If they had done as you suggested there would of been just as many threads complaining about that.

Overall I don't think CDPR should lose people's confidence. They are a great company. And while not being very transparent about the downgrade problem they probably picked the lesser of two evils. Hell they could be pulling a UbiSoft or EA and charging us $4 for a sword. Or over pricing their expansions. Neither of which is the case.

CDPR though once the console versions were announced, they also promised to console holders that they're version would be close to on par with pc settings on high. So really I would have predicted people who strictly play on pc would have complained about graphics being gimped. Myself I think the game has very good graphics on pc after seeing comparisons of the game to the console versions.

LOL its as if some people here go around where they live, take pictures of trees and grass then go back fire their witcher 3 up and compare those pictures with the w3's grass and trees ...............i mean that is the only way i can see someone finding this' game's graphic " shit" ,if they compare the visuals to real life's , even that its opened for argument.

LOL its as if some people here go around where they live, take pictures of trees and grass then go back fire their witcher 3 up and compare those pictures with the w3's grass and trees ...............i mean that is the only way i can see someone finding this' game's graphic " shit" ,if they compare the visuals to real life's , even that its opened for argument.

Yeah its as if some PC users do actually do this lol. But I think it's more like what Nacho El Man has said. It's not so much about what the game currently looks as it is what it could of looked like. Suffice it say I find the graphics incredibly good as well Even on consoles. Skellige is gorgeous if you haven't experienced that yet.

Yeah its as if some PC users do actually do this lol. But I think it's more like what Nacho El Man has said. It's not so much about what the game currently looks as it is what it could of looked like. Suffice it say I find the graphics incredibly good as well Even on consoles. Skellige is gorgeous if you haven't experienced that yet.

Yea it definitely looked better back in 2014 , i mean look at Geralt in that 35 minutes video he looked like a real freaking person for god's sake , cgi level .....i doubt any computer could have been able to handle that given how big the world is yet the game at his present state is far far from shit , it looks fantastic even, people here would have been praising it all day had they not seen for the 2014 video first.

The problem with the gaming industry is that console sales > PC gaming. Yes PC gaming is the best but it's a sad fact that sales of PC cannot match consoles and hence PC gamers will have to bear with console ports. There's nothing much you can do as majority of people love consoles and Sony & Microsoft are actively promoting it. PC gamings are open platform. There are no sole company fighting for PC gaming. Yes Valve don't really care about PC gaming to be honest. What they cared are nickel and diming their fanbase that has no where to resort. Even the mod they are trying to monetise it. And i'm GLAD they got a tight slap for it. And even Blizzard gave a tight slap to PC gamers. Look at Diablo 3 it's a console game to start with.
PC gamers should be thankful as they are still having PC games to play. This come from a PC gamer at heart.

Yea it definitely looked better back in 2014 , i mean look at Geralt in that 35 minutes video he looked like a real freaking person for god's sake , cgi level .....i doubt any computer could have been able to handle that given how big the world is yet the game at his present state is far far from shit , it looks fantastic even, people here would have been praising it all day had they not seen for the 2014 video first.

You've pretty much summed up exactly how I feel about this. Most rigs would be able to get the quality show in those early builds. And in the end developers need to think of profit. They have mouths to feed too. Definitely not saying that is the sole purpose any developer (especially CDPR) makes games but it's there none the less.

That's one of the funniest things I find about this entire downgrade debate. If these images were never shown. If for say whatever reason we were left completely in the dark until release. Everyone complainng would instead probably be praising It.

The problem with the gaming industry is that console sales > PC gaming. Yes PC gaming is the best but it's a sad fact that sales of PC cannot match consoles and hence PC gamers will have to bear with console ports. There's nothing much you can do as majority of people love consoles and Sony & Microsoft are actively promoting it. PC gamings are open platform. There are no sole company fighting for PC gaming. Yes Valve don't really care about PC gaming to be honest. What they cared are nickel and diming their fanbase that has no where to resort. Even the mod they are trying to monetise it. And i'm GLAD they got a tight slap for it. And even Blizzard gave a tight slap to PC gamers. Look at Diablo 3 it's a console game to start with.
PC gamers should be thankful as they are still having PC games to play. This come from a PC gamer at heart.

I know I know, and believe or not I have a PS4 :p But I gamed at PC for a long time, so I am a PC gamer at heart too. I just don't feel that great to say Oh my PS4 version of the game look just like your PC elitist version ahaha. That is not how I feel at all. I remember the old days where you had different versions of games according to the platform. I remember let's say Earthworm Jim: On Snes it had better sound and better colors, but it lagged, on Genesis it had ok sound, wash out colors, but it was'nt laggy! (better CPU) and it had whole Extra level the Snes didn't have!

There are many examples this in old generation consoles, developers had "The Balls" to do this, more than developing times, I think most developers now are just plain pussies, not really the developers though, but the heads of the studio that is :)

And let me tell you this, I still haven't played the game on my PS4, but from what I have seen, the game looks astonishing and really beautiful, is mostly the PC crowd for which I feel bad about, cause they were lied to, plain and simple.

Cheers man.

---------- Updated at 05:42 AM ----------

About your point number 1, I think I remember having heard that the game wasn't stressfull on the eyes exactly, but it was a stuttering mess, and very laggy and that's why they had to change it. Still, I don't believe it (I don't swallow it we say here), I think it's all due to what I said very early in this post. Is the Sony's obsession with 1080p and the lack of power of Xbox1 what really is to blame here.

I give you this example, you know what I was playing just yesterday? I was playing Crysis 1 on the PS3! Do I have to explain myself? The game renders an entire Island with a measly 256mb of Ram! And the foliage looks much better and more realistic than the foliage in the Witcher 3, on PS4!

I have said it before and I say it again, the pixel counters have been the people who have downgraded The Witcher 3.

Last edited:
For future updates on PC graphics, I think VGX is not exactly what we want

Sorry if this is found offensive but I'll try to say everything as peacefully as I can. As it is known to all, the controversy about the graphical downgrade on the PC version has been circulating the internet quite a while, which was further proved true after the game's release.

Somehow I think fans' pursuit after better visuals and our words in clamouring for these qualities have been distorted a little bit, after reading the public response from CDPR, published by EuroGamer. This is because I too think comparing the graphics of the final product to those in an old, 2013 VGX trailer is unfair, but the important bit is that I approach it in a different angle than the developer does.

In the VGX trailer, we had particles yes, but we didn't have realistic facial animation which was later shown in the best trailer - the best in my opinion - Sword of Destiny, where not only all the particle effects were present, but also gorgeous facial animation (which we're lucky enough to see in the final product too, of course), far better trees and plants, more complex hair of Yennefer, far better reflection on Geralt's belt, far better sea water effects etc. Apart from the facial animation, almost everything else is now missing too. And these advantages can also be found in the 35-min gameplay footage, and in the XONE demo in E3 2014. For the sake of trying to ask for a real graphical update, I'd like to make these heard by other fans, and the developer likewise. So here are the comparisons in screenshots, where I'll try avoiding spoilers as much as I can.

1. XONE demo in E3 2014, presented by John Mamais, Executive Producer at CDPR:

In the above screenshot you can see the reflection on the leathers of Geralt's garment. And pay attention to the belt below his neck, it seems to be bent a little due to the moisture. In the PC version we're playing, we have this moisture-affected bending too but it doesn't look realistic.

In the above 3 screenshots, you'll notice the far better water effects. The water sprays react to physics very well. And look at the rocks surrounding the water stream; they are all well textured.

If you watch the above scene, you'll see very good grass interaction. And all grasses look decent, while in the final version they don't.

This one above shows the advanced horse skin, which has little furs on the surface and reflects the light. In the final version, these details are gone.

2. WORK-IN-PROGRESS 35-min gameplay in 2014:

The screenshots above show great plants and water effects respectively. In the final version you don't have water reflection as in the lake in the second screenshot.

3. Sword of Destiny Trailer in E3 2014, compared to some PC final version screenshots:

The first pair of screenshots are from the trailer. The second pair is from the game. The difference is not even worth a mention because it's too obvious.

What is interesting is that the armor of the Wild Hunt knight is changed too because I guess it may be too power-consuming to show so many polygons and get all of them reflect the lights emitting from fire.

Again, first one from trailer, second one from the real game.

The first two screenshots from the trailer show astonishing grasses, trees, plants and sky (especially in the second one). The third one is from the real game, and it shows you the much inferior foliage.

Every character in the first screenshot from the trailer has advanced skin texture, and better clothes texture with leather reflecting the light. The second screenshot taken from the real game allows you to see the ENTIRELY DIFFERENT model of Yennefer, whose hair is also entirely different now. It seems the original build of Yennefer consumes too much hardware power, especially her hair. But I have to confess the Yennefer we now have in the game looks more beautiful, but that's pretty much the only better part.

Another screenshot from the trailer. In the game, you don't see sea waves like that anywhere...

I hope this thread will be taken seriously by CDPR. I appreciate you for facing the problem eventually. But please note that the downgrade has happened after the Elder Blood trailer, not VGX. Everything in E3 2014 (not 2013) only looks even better than in 2013. But after Sword of Destiny era, everything got worse. I believe that PC gamers would particularly like to get these effects back. So please be the white knight in PC gaming again and try enhancing the graphics to the level they were once at.

Last edited:
You forgot to mention the great geometry this screenshot has View attachment 14898

It's gone in the retail version.. well it might be because the terrain detail setting doesn't work at all

Attachments

• ESRB_The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_-_35min_gameplay_demo.mp4_20150524_08_zpsryyz1uto.jpg
    ESRB_The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_-_35min_gameplay_demo.mp4_20150524_08_zpsryyz1uto.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 78
I would be happy if they just fixed the foliage, it looks so awful when graphically comparing it to everything else in the game, that it sticks out like a sore thumb. The flat, stiff, almost pasted on look is what really bugs me about it, and it's especially noticeable when the wind is blowing on the foliage. The trees aren't so bad, it's the grass, bushes and various fauna that seem to be affected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom