Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the first False Informations from CDPR was, that they will make the PC Version (as best as possible) and downgrade/port it to Consoles. Just another Fairytale tho.

That depends on the definition of "best as possible". :D

And lets be honest: The game can still tax even high-end systems to their limits, so I don't see much room or reason to improve it. What they need to do is fixing the glitches, like the wrong textures and give the game slightly better textures in certain areas, mainly rocks and some of the walls and it would be fine.

For whom should they enhance the graphics even more? The 5% or so of players that own a Titan X or an SLI system?

I wasn't talking about the old titans, I was taking about the GTX Titan X, the best GPU on the market right now. The demos were ran on TWO of those Titan X badboys. Saying that a lot of people have SLI systems that blow away two Titan X cards in SLI is absolute nonsense.

In fact, saying a lot of people have SLI systems is nonsense, period. I think from all people who play videogames only 10% have the latest GPUs and an even lesser amount have two of those GPUs running in SLI.

The graphics aren't held back by consoles, not in this case. They are held back by the fact that 99% of all gamers don't have $2000,- SLI setups. Creating a game with graphics that 99% of all gamers wont be able to run for the next few years is complete nonsense. Which is probably the reason why CDPR downgraded the graphics of TW3.

And this seems like an agenda post, you can build a PC with two 970s for under $1,000 and there are millions of people with SLI rigs because it doesn't cost that much yet your performance in games doubles. Every year a new single GPU comes out that has the same performance as last year's SLI setups too, this argument of performance is not a good one.

They never showed XBone footage until they released that little XBone trailer some weeks ago.
So you're saying CDPR lied about that running on an Xbox?

So you're saying CDPR lied about that running on an Xbox?

Basically no demo, trailer or video at E3 runs on the consoles, they are made for and I don't think CDPR ever stated, that they are playing on an XBone.

Hell, even the Demos you can play at the MS or Sony booths at Gamescom or E3 often actually run on PCs.

Basically no demo, trailer or video at E3 runs on the consoles, they are made for and I don't think CDPR ever stated, that they are playing on an XBone.

Hell, even the Demos you can play at the MS or Sony booths at Gamescom or E3 often actually run on PCs.
The demo wasn't shown at E3 and they, and Microsoft, both said it was running on the Xbone.

And this seems like an agenda post, you can build a PC with two 970s for under $1,000 and there are millions of people with SLI rigs because it doesn't cost that much yet your performance in games doubles. Every year a new single GPU comes out that has the same performance as last year's SLI setups too, this argument of performance is not a good one.

An agenda post? Don't be ridiculous. What would my agenda be?

Yes, you can build a rig with two GTX 970s in SLI for around 1000 bucks, if you pick a cheap CPU and a cheap case (not exactly the best idea). What is your point? Two GTX 970s in SLI barely match the performance of a single GTX 980. If you think your performance doubles when you put two cards in SLI then you're horribly misinformed. I'd suggest you do some more research on actual hardware benchmarks.

The Witcher 3 currently already puts the GTX 980 to its limits. This argument of performance is a very good argument and absolutely true.

I have to ask you: What is your PC setup? And why do you want a game that you're probably not gonna be able to run? Unless you have two GTX Titan X cards in SLI? I highly doubt that.

An agenda post? Don't be ridiculous. What would my agenda be?

Yes, you can build a rig with two GTX 970s in SLI for around 1000 bucks, if you pick a cheap CPU and a cheap case (not exactly the best idea). What is your point? Two GTX 970s in SLI barely match the performance of a single GTX 980. If you think your performance doubles when you put two cards in SLI then you're horribly misinformed. I'd suggest you do some more research on actual hardware benchmarks.

The Witcher 3 currently already puts the GTX 980 to its limits. This argument of performance is a very good argument and absolutely true.

I have to ask you: What is your PC setup? And why do you want a game that you're probably not gonna be able to run? Unless you have two GTX Titan X cards in SLI? I highly doubt that.

Game runs great with 980 sli which I have. Fully maxed out so ya I think our cards are capable of what was shown in 2013. Sli profile could use more tweaking along with drivers. But it is what it is. Consoles do and did hold back the graphics in the witcher 3 so don't even try to deny that.

What would my agenda be?
You don't need an expensive CPU(http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...r_2_Assassins_of_Kings-test-witcher3_proz.jpg) or a case at all to play video games. Not every game gets a 100% boost in SLI but some do and most get a minimum of +50%(http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...Action-Grand_Theft_Auto_V__v.3-gta_v_2560.jpg).
The 980 gets frames galore for this game at 1440p even when it's quite unoptimized, presuming you're not using the tech demoesque Hairworks(which I'm sure you'll say is necessary when it isn't).

And I've laid out many reasons as to why downgrades are stupid, I couldn't grasp your train of thought before but with this post I think we all know what you were up to lol.

Last edited:
The E3 demos weren't Xbox footage. Don't let PR talk fool you. Those demos were running on PCs with two GTX Titan X cards in SLI.

And I have pointed out to you already that it's nonsense to put time, effort and money into graphics that only 1% of your audience will be able to run.

Not non sense at all if your a true PC game developer. That is the heritage of PC gaming it pushes the limits and brings big advancements in graphics and technology and pushes the industry forward. Witcher 2 was a great example of that. Witcher 3 fell victim to the big industry of console land. Witcher 3 is awesome best game of series but it being a full engine redesign in order to work on weak systems is very unfortunate. Participation medal a for everybody yay.

so when Audi or BMW show off their new "concept cars" at various motorshows and then the finished versions come out and they don't look the same for various reasons its something to shout and cry about is it?

So far i know concept car, are concept car, its not "look what car we are going to release to the public"... nice try ! ( and i'am pretty sure you have perfectly understood what i meant.. but you just try to defend CDPro-lie.

And so far, they showed their "target render" as "gameplay demo" ( meaning = its what we were going to HAVE ) and so far in know they NEVER SAID "guys its only a target render the game is never going to look that good"
And so far i know, they even said the game will look better than what they were showing.

CDPR have explained their reasoning for the downgrad.

CDPR tried to do damage control with bullshit. ( and it work ! you believe them.. xD )

Plus...No offence, but the "next gen" was release end 2013 / start 2014. And i'am pretty sure Sony / window-soft released devs kit a good moment before the consoles release. So IMHO they was WELL AWARE about console limitation
But CDPR was also still promoting TW3 WAY AFTER the current gen release with their bullshit graphic.

After, you are free to take what they said as gospel, but if you think just a little its not hard to figure out that
-they just used bullshit graphic version to make ppl think that the game look totaly "next gen" and truly incredible ima buy it. SO more preorder, so more money (based on a lie ) and it worked 1.5M preorder because NO ONE would have thought a single sec they would do like UbiSoft and watch dogs.
-Strangely they only sended PS4 version to the press and keeped the PC version well hidden till the release date.

Anyway. You are free to live with blinker after all.

Last edited:
One question. Please can anybody say that is Emhyr meeting scene from SOD trailer still in game or not. Because i searched many time but did not find it. I mean this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-9t8ppBDLU#t=1m05s

Hey man! I've been patiently waiting to see this scene on my monitor in its full glory (not just in the video form or on screenshots) but it seems to me that it too has been changed and scaled down to a different, less impactful scene and Charles Dance (who's doing the voice-over for Emhyr and also played Tywin Lannister on Game Of Thrones) seemed to employ some weird accent in the current version and it was not the case in the Sword of destiny trailer.

For some perspective, when that scene in the trailer plays I get shivers while in the final game it's just meh, very bland.

I can understand ppl saying the graphics are simply amazing. They are playing it on a PS4 and for that the graphics are really amazing. But for a PC game? It looks meh...nothing limit pushing and gorgeous as Witcher 2 was...I am really disappointed :(
No, not even close.

Let me ask you guys this , if you haven't seen the 2013 trailers and such , would you still be of the opinion that the game could have looked better? Be honest now , if you had completely no reference to any gameplay material?

Of course not. How could we? Human race is very good at getting used to stuff and once we see/experience something that gets us going we immediately expect it not to change. So when you saw the Sword of Destiny trailer or that 2014 game footage did you not expect the final game to look exactly like it did?

The same thing with scenes, characters' faces (Yennefer, anyone?), meditation animation, UI. It's like when I was a kid and didn't understand a word of English, when you watched a foreign movie for the first time that's the translation that you remembered and it stuck with you. It was the FIRST impression and when you watched the same movie with different dubbing actors and translation it was not the same. The same thing applies here I think.

I would rather wait another year for new architecture to come out rather than skimp on things for the immediate profit for both the developers and publishers.

---------- Updated at 09:54 AM ----------

I think the pop in issue has been discussed quite heavily in the news Section of the patch. My eyesight must be broken I really can't tell the difference between 1.03 and 1.04.

The grass and shrubbery pop-ups were there in 1.03 but not NPCs or enemies (5-6 bandits popping up only when they're about 6 feet from you sucks big time).

But that's the thing, you say "what could have been" and I have to ask; could it indeed really have been that way? CDPR must have downgraded the graphics for a reason, quite possible because the original graphical standard from the Sword of Destiny trailer couldn't be realized for the entire game.

I mean what else could it be? It's not like CDPR downgraded just to troll us. Think about it.

I say that's nonsense. Because the PC when well optimized can handle these graphics perfectly.
I say double nonsense because the game is now at PS4 level, so something is terribly wrong here.

No, not even close.
It's of course subjective but I'm inclined to agree with him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5ggSo1lyKA This is just the first video I found and it's not even maxed out but this looks much nicer to me than arguably most of TW3. For whatever reason the game just looks and feels more lifeless and "console-like" than the previous game. Maybe the models have less polys? Maybe the FOV is too high? Not enough DOF/AO? Compare to https://youtu.be/OB97gasJWSk?t=259 which I know is PS4 but the PC version doesn't look that much better(and I assume you already know what it looks like). It's just not as good overall especially in any interiors. Caves in particular have the most basic of lighting, it reminds me of Oblivion.

Right, yeah, do you at least agree the caves are worse than the previous game? I suppose that's a decent way to delve into how deep your bias goes!

It's of course subjective but I'm inclined to agree with him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5ggSo1lyKA This is just the first video I found and it's not even maxed out but this looks much nicer to me than arguably most of TW3. For whatever reason the game just looks and feels more lifeless and "console-like" than the previous game. Maybe the models have less polys? Maybe the FOV is too high? Not enough DOF/AO? Compare to https://youtu.be/OB97gasJWSk?t=259 which I know is PS4 but the PC version doesn't look that much better(and I assume you already know what it looks like). It's just not as good overall especially in any interiors. Caves in particular have the most basic of lighting, it reminds me of Oblivion.

Right, yeah, do you at least agree the caves are worse than the previous game? I suppose that's a decent way to delve into how deep your bias goes!

I think the caves in the game range from mediocre looking to absymal , the lighting is so flat. Light never seems to bounce in caves.

It's the same in houses too when out of cutscenes. When the curscene is playing there is great lighting but when it ends it looks like we teleported back a few generations. Exterior lighting is good-to-great but those interiors are scary. The faces of NPCs and Geralt seem to get swapped as well during cutscenes, Geralt seems a lot uglier when out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom