Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats what i said in two lines.

The current game is missing a lot of things from the trailer, it obvious, i just think those post process effects worsen the game even more, except the SMAA, but thats just me...

Yup, we just did not get what we expected from CDPR.
The game is good, but not the marvel we would expect from these guys.
Well, I guess a lot of us learned our lesson in hyping CDPR games. Next time, I won't make that mistake again.

Typical comment...
Many SweetFX users:
"Lemme desatureate that image to beyond or else is to similar to main game color palette"
"Lemme oversaturate that image to beyond or else is to similar to main game color palette"
"Lemme tweak brightness so dark is completely dark, (yeah sure, "real life" talk bla bla bla)"
"Lemme tweak that sharpening to beyond because why not; sharp image is aweasome"

You're miss understanding. You also know that both greens come in real life right? And dodged my question to throw it back at me. I asked you why it mattered. You got mad which means that you can't explain it and have been caught.

Got any examples of bad "PC to Console" ports? They certainly can't be that many while the amount of bad "Console to PC" ports are too many to count.

No, unfortunately, I don't...I can't recall articles from last generation and the numerous forum comments I've read with "bad console ports." This generation, it is almost unheard of...why? Developers no longer use PC as the lead platform. It's no secret. The new trend is to use the weakest platform and expand from that. It's a nice compromise and thanks to consoles, it's making low-midrange PC gaming much nicer and attractive. I actually use my HD6970 on a lot of new titles and be satisfied at 900-1080p. Sure, it's about time I upgrade my card, but it still looks very relevant. In my height of PC gaming, that was a thing unheard of. A moderate card yielded you a less than moderate experience....it's not all over for high end PC gaming. There are always going to be HD texture mods, light mods, realistic water mods and so forth. Just go to Nexus' website and see for yourself. It's a booming place to be for high end rigs.

Last edited:
Seen lots of people use Reshade for Witcher 3, and also some using Mastereffect for Reshade.

Mastereffect also has features like ScreenSpace reflections, which seem to work in other games it's applied to. Would this work with The Witcher 3 ? It's just one setting in the Mastereffect text file.

I'm really spoiled after seeing modded Skyrim with realtime reflections on every surface :p (ENB... great stuff. Needless to say, the performance cost for all the fancy features is quite huge)

Well, I guess a lot of us learned our lesson in hyping CDPR games. Next time, I won't make that mistake again.

you're right. instead of being a game that I think is a 95 out of 100, i think its a 94 out of 100 due to the slightly downgraded graphics. I'm crushed...at least until more mods come out that make the foliage less flat, which is really the only think that deducts that one point to me. "/sarcasm off".

ps don't speak for the rest of us.

Foliage shadows, lightning, tesselation, water, all nvidia features (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g), colors (linked to lightning? seems they tried to hide the lightning downgrade with these colors), no really it's been a big downgrade, and they lied until the end, which is the worst

Thanks to communauty, 3D vision is almost fixed, and we can get rid of a few details, I enjoy what I have got now, but once again we had to take it on ourselves after having paid, which smells bad

Greed is behind that kind of story, no one can deny at this point, I am truely sorry

One thing also with the witcher 3 which is a bummer. Is on Alienware laptops it doesn't utilize the colors of the lighting system like the witcher 2 did. Sure it works on the ps4 and its controller but not on Alienware laptops...

Foliage shadows, lightning, tesselation, water, all nvidia features (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g), colors (linked to lightning? seems they tried to hide the lightning downgrade with these colors), no really it's been a big downgrade, and they lied until the end, which is the worst

Thanks to communauty, 3D vision is almost fixed, and we can get rid of a few details, I enjoy what I have got now, but once again we had to take it on ourselves after having paid, which smells bad

Greed is behind that kind of story, no one can deny at this point, I am truely sorry
You have been a member since 2013 and this is your first post? :facepalm:

wow the flaming is strong over here ...

anyways, lets talk graphics, her's how moded weather settings can look , as you can see the contrast is high, the colors are less vibrant and feel more cold , this is with in game coloring, not color corrected with sweetfx/reshade , and its possible to change the weather settings for every zone seperatly ( i still have to figure out if its possible to do that for sub zones ), i used bloom from mastereffect in the 2nd fight, thats about it

the goal wasnt to re create "e3 graphics ", just to give a more cold/northern feel to novigrad in general without using sweetfx

[video=youtube;dR-evyP4N_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR-evyP4N_o[/video]

wow the flaming is strong over here ...

anyways, lets talk graphics, her's how moded weather settings can look , as you can see the contrast is high, the colors are less vibrant and feel more cold , this is with in game coloring, not color corrected with sweetfx/reshade , and its possible to change the weather settings for every zone seperatly ( i still have to figure out if its possible to do that for sub zones ), i used bloom from mastereffect in the 2nd fight, thats about it

the goal wasnt to re create "e3 graphics ", just to give a more cold/northern feel to novigrad in general without using sweetfx

[video=youtube;dR-evyP4N_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR-evyP4N_o[/video]
Very nice. Will these settings be made available as a mod?

But I have a problem when someone's first post since being a member for over a year is editorializing flame bait.
His opinion about the graphical downgrade is not flame bait and it really is shitty what has happened. I made my account in 2011 for TW2 and only posted recently as well. Most developers wouldn't sink so low as to release fake tech demos, E3 hype mongering trailers are one thing but tech demos?

Ya, it is.

But I have a problem when someone's first post since being a member for over a year is editorializing flame bait.

No lie, no mistake in what I said
How do you want them to respect us, when you bow down?

Our money is our power, because this is just like all the rest in life, nothing is free, balance means everything must play its role
Human psyche works like that dude, this is why we do efforts, there must be a meaning for that, or nothing never happens

The reward can be money, or something spiritual, or else, but that's not the point
Everybody wants something, but when it seems to be money more than anything else, we have to worry a little, it's just the "machine" we all contribute to make everyday

So when they suck, we have to tell them they did, no offense, just truth, and especially when we paid, just awake yourself about that

A ultra high budget corridor simulator where almost all lighting is prebaked that is exclusive usually have nice graphics, but then again i really don't like all those filters it has.
Neither Skyrim nor modded Skyrim is any of those things. But the Skyrim comparison is silly anyway. Skyrim has interiors and city worldspaces so of course it'll run better than Witcher 3 even when it's modded to look better.

---------- Updated at 10:33 PM ----------

His opinion about the graphical downgrade is not flame bait and it really is shitty what has happened. I made my account in 2011 for TW2 and only posted recently as well. Most developers wouldn't sink so low as to release fake tech demos, E3 hype mongering trailers are one thing but tech demos?

When I finished TW2, I don't lie, I went on this site to see if I could "pre buy" the sequel, I didn't care about the rest, I would have supported them anyway :/

Last edited:
Guys ? assuming it was somewhere around middle age the grass was still green, the sky was blue, there where colors and on a warm sunny day the sun was warm and orange :p - idk why everyone thinks it has to be washed out like a shirt from some hippie.

There where even colors during WW2 :p the Brothers in arms games show that to some extent

How you perceive the color changes on what you were just looking at. Had you used my profile FIRST, and then changed the vibrancy setting closer to vanilla i promise your comment would have been different :) I definitely noticed this while making it!!

As for the desaturation, as I said previously, it is also a matter of artistic vision. Usually the middle ages are represented in art with desaturated colors (for example by Goya, Millet or El Greco) just because it is considered a sort of dark age for humanity. The more colorful a scenery looks and the more peaceful and joyful it seems (if you naturally don't use certain methods to do differently, as for example by using complementary colors for lights and shadows - as for example yellow in lights and purple in shadows -with strong contrasts as Caravaggio did), so to simulate a dark atmosphere the use of many colors is counterproductive.

Btw also the natural discernment of colors by people changes depending the mood they are in and there have been various studies in psychology demonstrating this fact (for example when you recollect a time of your life when you had a very bad experience it will be an exception to find the images coming to your mind's eye very colorful, it will usually be a desaturated representation if not completely monochrome, or a color representing subconsciously the event - as red in case of danger - permeating the vision).

Apart this, not many really want a "washed out" palette: the majority of people simply want the overly orange filter permeating the scene gone; if you take screenshots of W3 and you compare them with the screenshots of other games (even when colorful) you will notice how W3 seems more "opaque". That's because of that orange sort of light filter (coming from the way lightning works) permeating all the scenery. Only in certain areas/time of day that "filter" is gone.

Great insight.. i never thought about it this way. Look at the world in the witcher, its not a 5yrold childs birthday party with hats and balloons, the peasants are poor, have nothing to eat, and the ones worse off have their huts burnt down by war. Super saturated peasant outfits while they are doing their laundry in tubs... Listen to the music out in the fields.. in velen at least.. its a little depressing and sad in tone.

Well, the story of my preset was a bit simpler though probably as thought out.. Initially i just wanted something closer to how i had personally set up my modded skyrim.. realistic lighting. I never had any problem with saturated colors. What happened was once the lights were good.. there was something about the ingame foliage that just did NOT look good in a realistic light. With color, it still looked like a cartoon even though the lighting was nice, and that registered as a subjective "bad" in my eyes. (It seems most people disagree like witcher childrens cartoons, thats okay). So started the balancing of brightness and saturation.. It was a fun experience and i have it how i personally want to play it.. so vision and fun experience achieved.

I suggest you when you have some time to create more comparison images for your preset. For what I've seen users look mostly at those and especially if your preset isn't meant to change colors completely (so that there's no much point on making a comparison with vanilla) having images with comparison can make users understand much better the impact of the preset and what it does specifically. From since I included comparison images in the preset my download rate has increased substantially (and my shots are even complete trash, sincerely, since I completely suck at taking screenshots and I have no problems whatsoever on admitting it; always sucked at it and probably I will ever do).

Nice idea. I should really get on playing though.. And my last version just simply doesn't look as good in screenshots compared to alot of the others. I chose to fix the shadows, in game, they did not look like the shadows i see when i go outside, and now they do somewhat reasonably. (i could have gone further but that effected the entire image not just shadows). But not having these dark great looking shadows probably isn't going get downloaded anyway.

And i couldn't not do it.. I don't have problems with shadows either.. but because of the lighting.. in the middle of the day.. i had a test case of heavy rain at 7 am and 1pm.. and it was unplayable. All you could see effectively was skybox and dark grey. You could see a bear eg, but in no way could you see its limbs as it was attacking you. I had no problem suggesting people using a torch at night as rp... but needing at torch at 1pm was a defect (.... in frikkin cdpr's world of warcraft cartoon settings more like it).

Which is kinda funny, because so many popular presets I just know are unpleasant to play if the weather or time of day changes.. mine used to be like that too.

---------- Updated at 11:59 PM ----------

anyways, lets talk graphics, her's how moded weather settings can look , as you can see the contrast is high, the colors are less vibrant and feel more cold , this is with in game coloring, not color corrected with sweetfx/reshade , and its possible to change the weather settings for every zone seperatly ( i still have to figure out if its possible to do that for sub zones ), i used bloom from mastereffect in the 2nd fight, thats about it ]

Question: Does this mean you have complete control over global illumination from these things?

Stepping back.. how does it work?

Even better question, does it work for interiors?

Awesome video!! Good stuff you're doing!

Last edited:

I actually don't care about Cyberpunk 2077 at all, I mean I'd rather have them concentrate on the now instead of tomorrow so basically support and fix Witcher all the way through 2016.

Witcher is what got them on the map, it's dear to me unlike any other fantasy game in the world (due to its Slavic roots), so naturally I'd want them to go out on a high note if that is the last installment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom