Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

If that's what you guys see no wonder you guys arent happy with your graphics. Its oversaturated and yellow (its leagues above calling it warm).

I seriously start to doubt CDPR's dedication to PC gamers. First the downgrade and now there probably will be some issue with releasing the RedKit.
My admiration has waned....

You can say that but then look at other Game of the Year Candidates.

Arkham Knight has a bunch of BS Preorder Gamestop/Non-Gamestop DLC.

Metal Gear Solid V is releasing 14 days later on PC cause PC is lower priority.

And those are really the only games coming out this year on PC that will test gaming hardware and are guaranteed to be pretty good.

I seriously start to doubt CDPR's dedication to PC gamers. First the downgrade and now there probably will be some issue with releasing the RedKit.
My admiration has waned....

Start to doubt? It's a certainty that CDPR have no interest in leveraging the power of PCs. Remember when they claimed that the primary platform for The Witcher 3's development was the PC? The PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One versions just look virtually identical by shear coincidence...

If that's what you guys see no wonder you guys arent happy with your graphics. Its oversaturated and yellow (its leagues above calling it warm).

No , Im quite 'ok' with it , its only when I look at the water , I go , well that needed some tessellation , I look at fire and go , there needs to be some soft particles. I look at some out of place weird janky textures and go , damn some talented modder needs to fix this and I'll donate to him. Forgot to mention the lighting is really eh, but hopefully that gets fixed.

---------- Updated at 02:09 AM ----------

Start to doubt? It's a certainty that CDPR have no interest in leveraging the power of PCs. Remember when they claimed that the primary platform for The Witcher 3's development was the PC? The PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One versions just look virtually the same by shear coincidence...

Face it , PC is the 'Low' Priority on the list when it comes to game development , unless its an MMORPG or Real Time Strategy, even Valve has screw with PC gamers with the whole mods thing.

It pains me to say this but I guess my SLI-980s will last me years since games will look the same on PC and PS4.

I find it quite funny that the 'Only' Unique PC Feature is Hairworks. Which looks great on Griffins(The only reason I turn it on).

But runs like crap on half the PCs out there and also runs like crap on Nvidia PCs. Not giving the Graphics Option to disable to Geralt is one of the worst design decisions in a game from a technical perspective.

Last edited:
I think the details of the environment & characters are very good, but let down a bit by the flat lighting.

The pictures with all the ladies & Geralt is an example. I know its night, but moonlight produce glow also- The shading on the characters & boat just looks flat.

Adam Badowski said in the interview with Eurogamer they had to rewrite the rendering engine midway through development. This was when they decided to make the game much bigger, or maybe when they got the console dev kits, but clearly lighting took a major hit. Just look at the xbox version of TW2 for instance - lighting is nowhere near as good as either previous Witcher game. Those toasters just can't handle it. When they said they were already pushing the new consoles to the limit, they clearly meant it. Kind of pathetic that next gen is already being tested to the limits by developers this early..

Face it , PC is the 'Low' Priority on the list when it comes to game development , unless its an MMORPG or Real Time Strategy, even Valve has screw with PC gamers with the whole mods thing.

It pains me to say this but I guess my SLI-980s will last me years since games will look the same on PC and PS4.

The problem is that I think I love Ponies.

Also no chat about lying. It bugs me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Badowski said in the interview with Eurogamer they had to rewrite the rendering engine midway through development. This was when they decided to make the game much bigger, or maybe when they got the console dev kits, but clearly lighting took a major hit. Just look at the xbox version of TW2 for instance - lighting is nowhere near as good as either previous Witcher game. Those toasters just can't handle it. When they said they were already pushing the new consoles to the limit, they clearly meant it. Kind of pathetic that next gen is already being tested to the limits by developers this early..

As much as we play the console blame game , whether it be 'parity' or 'optimization' , I'm betting lots of people here on this forum have the console version. I have both.

I only bought the PS4 to run Uncharted 4 and Persona 5 . Thats the reason it has to exist . Every other game I have on it is just because I like the controller.

---------- Updated at 02:23 AM ----------

The problem is that CDPR lied to and misled everyone for years about The Witcher 3's graphics and PC-priority.

Honestly part of me wants to blame to 'Competition' specifically the lack of.

As I mentioned before , Batman has BS DLC 'Preorder' Retailer specific. Metal Gear is giving us the delay treatment. Team Ninja gave us a PS3 Engine port and no online for 3 months.(Although running the game at 4K +4xSSAA looks way better than the PS4).

Bethesda and Valve have lost all their 'credibility' thanks to the whole modding incident. Ubisoft and EA have been screwing with PC gamers for years with various franchises.

I mean look at the 'Competition' , its so easy for CD Projekt Red to play the good guy , because people who game on PC desperately need one.

As much as we play the console blame game , whether it be 'parity' or 'optimization' , I'm betting lots of people here on this forum have the console version. I have both.

I only bought the PS4 to run Uncharted 4 and Persona 5 . Thats the reason it has to exist . Every other game I have on it is just because I like the controller.

---------- Updated at 02:23 AM ----------

Honestly part of me wants to blame to 'Competition' specifically the lack of.

As I mentioned before , Batman has BS DLC 'Preorder' Retailer specific. Metal Gear is giving us the delay treatment. Team Ninja gave us a PS3 Engine port and no online for 3 months.(Although running the game at 4K +4xSSAA looks way better than the PS4).

Bethesda and Valve have lost all their 'credibility' thanks to the whole modding incident. Ubisoft and EA have been screwing with PC gamers for years with various franchises.

I mean look at the 'Competition' , its so easy for CD Projekt Red to play the good guy , because people who game on PC desperately need one.

If they want Cyberpunk to live up to the ' CGI graphic' levels they were hyping a year ago - and it's funny how conveniently that talk was replaced by parity - then they'll have to grow the team big time. The analogy I like to use is BF3. Dice clearly had enough people to make a PC version shine above the consoles. CDPR clearly did not. And if you think TW3 took a hit due to this scenario, believe me, a fully realized futuristic city with ambient AI and traffic? My expectations for that game just got lowered big time because of this. I really don't think 200 people is enough to pull it off.

Last edited:
If they want Cyberpunk to live up to the ' CGI graphic' levels they were hyping a year ago - and it's funny how conveniently that talk was replaced by parity - then they'll have to grow the team big time. The analogy I like to use BF3. Dice clearly had enough people to make a PC version shine above the consoles. CDPR clearly did not. And if you think TW3 took a hit due to this scenario, believe me, a fully realized futuristic city with ambient AI and traffic? My expectations for that game just got lowered big time because of this. I really don't think 200 people is enough to pull it off.

Honestly , I think Metal Gear Solid V is the last game that I expect to remain somewhat visually consistent from Trailers.(Bought Ground Zeroes on Both PC and PS4)

The days of Trailers looking like the game, Uncharted 2 , Metal Gear Solid 3 , Grand Theft Auto V , Modern Warfare 2 , is over.

Now just assume everything to be bullshots.

Oh wow. Skellige is absolutely gorgeous.

Made some shot for shot comparisons of some debut trailer areas from Skellige, such as the tavern, some vistas..and I have to say in terms of things like textures, lighting, foliage quality (yes, even foliage quality) it looks just as good if not better.

Take note, because I think the ONE thing that, were it improved, would make the biggest difference, is the particle effects/volumetric effects.

-The blood is a particle based system that was toned down

-The water splash effect that everyone hates used to be a better particle based effect that was toned down.

-The rain and snow, particle effect based systems, were toned down to the point where rain looks extremely off and many snow effects are just white hexagons, both
of which fall in strange uniform diagonal lines, whereas in the debut trailer the flurries of rain and snow looked incredibly natural.

-The fire effects have been made lower resolution/lower framerate/plus lower amount of particles in general, especially the smoke. It used to be a volumetric effect but now the smoke in this game seems to be a cheap 2D layered version.

-Volumetric clouds and smoke have been completely scrapped. Clouds that swirl around mountains are all but completely gone and replaced by a height based haze or smog effect, explosions from bombs have been toned down to the point where the smoke and debris is not only volumetric, but doesn't react to the environment at all. And even if the bomb explodes in mid air, the same debris effect occurs, with the debris leveling off in the air where the effect deems the ground should be.

I know that this is the part that makes the biggest difference, because when I am standing in a landlocked zone on Skellige with all the fauna and tress and whatnot, it looks SPECTACULAR. Only when the above possible factors come into play does it really become noticeably worse in my opinion.

Anyone agree?

I know some o the devs were looking into ways to "make it up" to PC gamers. They acknowledged that some people bought it based on 2013 standards and whatnot. Well, I think if they choose anything to "revert" back to those standards, these particle effects should be...well..that.

Hopefully this gets the attention of some of the devs, maybe @Marcin Momot whom I have just shamelessly mentioned. No reason to hide it. Just hope that those who can make a difference have every opportunity to..well..you get it. Wish y'all the best!

Last edited:
On the topic of a downgrade, I think a lot of you guys have misunderstood me in the past.

I have been using a sweetfx, so my game looks a lot better than normal. It is sharper, shadows are darker, contrast is better, colors are richer and darker, the environment is a bit colder- It looks a TON better.

But..keep in mind that these are not graphical fidelity changes. The graphics are the exact same. The color and contrast differences, which caused at most a loss of 1 FPS, are what makes it look so much better. Keep that in mind

---------- Updated at 03:02 AM ----------

Check this out guys: XCOM 2 will be a PC EXCLUSIVE because the developers have VERY "very ambitious goals"
THAT'S what should have happened to the Witcher 3 as well. FIRST PC, then downgrade to weak consoles.

link: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/05/why-xcom-2-had-to-be-pc-exclusive

ARE YOU READING THIS CDPR?!

People seem to forget that consoles are wayyyy ahead of PCs in terms of software.

Our DX11 is complete crap and barely uses proper extent of the CPU's capabilities, whereas in consoles every last drop of efficiency is used.

TO be honest, I expect that once DX12 comes out, PC games will actually start to look a lot better than the console ports. For the past few years in ALL games from AC to Witcher to Far Cry to Dying Light, the differences have mostly been FPS and resolution. But once DX12 comes out PC games will start to be able to put a lot more into some of the effects in the PC version.

That's why The Division looks so damned spectacular. Because it is being developed with DX12 in the mind. Witcher 3 may get DX12 support, but only games that have built from the ground up with DX12 in mind really benefit.

Check this out guys: XCOM 2 will be a PC EXCLUSIVE because the developers have VERY "very ambitious goals"
THAT'S what should have happened to the Witcher 3 as well. FIRST PC, then downgrade to weak consoles.
These guys deserve respect.

link: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/05/why-xcom-2-had-to-be-pc-exclusive

ARE YOU READING THIS CDPR?!

Way to take what they said and twist it to fit your agenda lol why the need to make stuff up , you do realize that we can all read here right ? they said they are a small team and that the platform they really are familiar with is the PC thats why they are making it an exclusive, they dont want to spread themselves thin, people like you are why most people cant stand PC gamers.

Graphics on Witcher 3 aren't nothing special, the only reason you need a decent graphic card to play this it's becaise of poor optimization. NVIDIA and AMD want you to buy new cards and the games are poorly made for that reason. Makes no sense the need for such cards with this graphics. And CDPR lied to all his customers about the graphics, Sony and Microsoft forced CDPR to downgrade the game. I lost all my respect for CDPR.

Way to take what they said and twist it to fit your agenda lol why the need to make stuff up , you do realize that we can all read here right ? they said they are a small team and that the platform they really are familiar with is the PC thats why they are making it an exclusive, they dont want to spread themselves thin, people like you are why most people cant stand PC gamers.

And if you read, they also say that developing on pc FIRST can only make the game as ambitious as they want it to be.
You know? Ambitious, like the Witcher 3 in its previous trailers? But then it PLATFORM WARS?

Adam was talking about the 2013 renderer, the result of this switch was the 2014 35 minute gameplay video. Our game looks worse than both of them.

People seem to forget that consoles are wayyyy ahead of PCs in terms of software.

Our DX11 is complete crap and barely uses proper extent of the CPU's capabilities, whereas in consoles every last drop of efficiency is used.

TO be honest, I expect that once DX12 comes out, PC games will actually start to look a lot better than the console ports. For the past few years in ALL games from AC to Witcher to Far Cry to Dying Light, the differences have mostly been FPS and resolution. But once DX12 comes out PC games will start to be able to put a lot more into some of the effects in the PC version.

That's why The Division looks so damned spectacular. Because it is being developed with DX12 in the mind. Witcher 3 may get DX12 support, but only games that have built from the ground up with DX12 in mind really benefit.
The Division was already downgraded, it was all a ruse. And DX11 performs just fine, a weak 750ti outperforms the PS4 in every single game.

Anyway, it is just how it is. Believe me or not, one of the reasons consoles aren't completely irrelevant is precisely because of the fact that the streamlined components of the software and hardware that are the same across all the machines have allowed devs to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the them. With PC, it is more difficult and complicated than that.

If PC's were truly better than consoles in every way, then consoles wouldn't exist.

You are more than welcome, Kimonimo, to present some kind of rebuttal other than simply insulting my credibility for no apparent reason. I would appreciate that, I am willing to discuss and perhaps change my view based on facts and new information I may not have been aware of.

---------- Updated at 03:57 AM ----------

The Division was already downgraded, it was all a ruse. And DX11 performs just fine, a weak 750ti outperforms the PS4 in every single game.

Sorry, what?

I'm gonna ignore the Division part. No idea where you got that idea. Haven't even seen more than 10 minutes of total footage ever of the title.

In terms of the DX11, you do realize that the GPU is different than the CPU, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom