Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what the complaints are the game looks fantastic. I just wish I could use hair works. It's a big performance hog.

@ilayoeli

In TW2 (let it be flotsam forest for exmaple) vegetation is visible 20-30 meters and after that it's just foq
So of course it looks better close up in tw2 if tw3 has to render 200 meters of all vegetation and 500m of trees.

In the most open place (in front of kaedweni camp) there are no trees, nothing but those same bushes and tw3 lod is lot better, 100 meters from you vegetation looks lot better in tw3 tahn it did in tw2

@algroshaw

you are right, size itself doesn't matter, only stuff that is on screen. However with opeworld games comes often the thing that there is lot more on the screen. In tw2 scenes were designed the way that visible range was 100m max. It always became blocked by buildings (loc muinne), trees and fog (flotsam) or rocks, behind of which only backdrop was visible. In tw3 there are miles of land to draw so it really isn't possible to give that tw2 level of detail to that whole area.

In 5 years GPU power has royghly doupled and when drawing distance increases the area you have to cover with vegetation/cities/lakes/villages grows by power of two (pi x r^2 as you remember from school ;)

Last edited:
@ilayoeli

In TW2 (let it be flotsam forest for exmaple) vegetation is visible 20-30 meters and after that it's just foq
So of course it looks better close up in tw2 if tw3 has to render 200 meters of all vegetation and 500m of trees.

In the most open place (in front of kaedweni camp) there are no trees, nothing but those same bushes and tw3 lod is lot better, 100 meters from you vegetation looks lot better in tw3 tahn it did in tw2

I just logged in to post a similar thing. I feel most people seem to forget that pretty much any far scenes in W2 would have likely been a digital matte painting where as in W3 it's all there. I do agree that the colour pallet swap and foliage look worse than earlier previews as well as teaailation on buildings. Otherwise I think it's a fantastic looking game.

I am a little annoyed at the lack of support for 3D vision (I even had to disable it in nvidia control panel to have the game render correctly)

Please do not preach to me how much I do not know, when clearly, you know nothing youself

Moderator: Lose the attitude. NOW. We do not dispute qualifications between members, or make accusations that members have no foundation for the opinions they present.

While your experience may allow you to make a valid contribution to this discussion, this language is nothing of the kind, and your post will be deleted.

All you people who canceled the preorder, did you buy this game purely for those graphics...

I actually cancelled my pre-order after watching some of those initial videos. My thinking was that, if CDPR was not going to invest fully in the PC platform then I was not going to invest my money fully, but would rather wait for a bargain price down the road. It was a bit of an emotional response born out of some frustration and historically driven prejudice against dumbing down PC games because of console porting.

About 2 hours before release I ended up pre-ordering again. I tried to clear my head of all the before and after comparison controversy, simply looked at the game with day one patches, and decided whether it was worth the money. That put it in better perspective and was a rather easy decision at that point. Had the original videos been shown with this graphical fidelity it has now, I would have pre-bought then, so not to do so now would amount to protesting against not get something that could have been better, and that's a rough way to live. :)

A couple of reflections with respect to TW2 vs TW3 graphics. I always thought TW2 took better screenshots than it actually played, and I think TW3 plays better than it takes screenshots. The intense bloom and specular maps from TW2 gave an immediate pop to it, but I did find it difficult to play with and get right at times. While TW3 has a bit of a theme park look to it in places, it's probably better for an open world experience. Not in all ways, as I think TW2 vegetation was indeed better in places, and the water in TW3 is rather lackluster.

tl;dr - There is definitely some room for improvement on PC but it's quite respectable and fits the gameplay. A few mods and tweaks here and there will make it really top notch.

Last edited:
I am not a graphics heavy person.. I still play kotor from time to time.. Its just disappointing because I had high expectations- especially after how good tw2 looked.

the foliage and textures are just immersion breaking and every time i look around its like "ugh"

I was hoping for far cry 4 type foliage and textures meeting the witcher 3 character models and faces.

@mod I don't know if you noticed, but the person i quoted indicated that I lack knowledge about programming or whatnot, and i refuted that claim. I will, however, be careful to remain zen in the future

Stop defend CD Projekt. They are frauds. I put all my confidence on them, and they LIED us, they played with us. I have got The Witcher 1, The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings and The Witcher 3, but It is the last game I will buy of CD Projekt. You must launch a patch to put the E3 graphics on the game. I watch the back box images of the The Witcher 3 videogame and I can watch a impressive graphics, Where are this graphics on the game? --_-- I will never put my confidence in CD Projekt, we have received a console port on PC. CD Projekt, you NEVER exist if PC gamers hadn't put the confidence on you, don't forget this.

Stop defend CD Projekt. They are frauds. I put all my confidence on them, and they LIED us, they played with us. I have got The Witcher 1, The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings and The Witcher 3, but It is the last game I will buy of CD Projekt. You must launch a patch to put the E3 graphics on the game. I watch the back box images of the The Witcher 3 videogame and I can watch a impressive graphics, Where are this graphics on the game? --_-- I will never put my confidence in CD Projekt, we have received a console port on PC. CD Projekt, you NEVER exist if PC gamers hadn't put the confidence on you, don't forget this.

clearly they had perf problems. the gameruns bad on my gtx 770, so I cn't expect much prettier from them..With e3 graphics, I suspect SLI titans would have issues. lol. they did what they had to do. it is playable.. I'm just disappointed and hope tw4 does not see this issue

I suspect after learning and pushing more out of ps4 and xbone, we will see better in the future

Running an i7 with a 970gtx. 1080 res with most settings on high: hair on for all....and I'm more than happy with the graphics. I've benchmarked in Fraps with an average of 58-59 fps ..lowest about 45.
Yes the foliage isn't amazing but there is some impressive graphic stuff going on that makes the game look awesome at times.,
Not had a single crash in an evenings session and gotten myself some lovely screenshots!
Yes graphic fidelity isn't what we saw originally, but I'm not seeing anything hugely different from last weeks review footages.

Certainly it could do with some optimisation and I would honestly presume the first few patches heading our way in the next months or so will target that.
Might even see a grass/ foliage hi res texture pack? Who knows.
But fur me, at least, I'm pleased with how the game looks and certainly won't let minor niggles ruin my enjoyment of, what has been, so far, bloody awesome to play!

Last edited:
At least You can see those graphics... I was waiting whole day for my CE only to find out that i cannot install it... Broken disc 2, for me, and for hundreds, if not thousands here in Poland. If i would have known i would dl the pre-download at work while awaiting courier... D'oh CDPR how could You fork up the premiere in Your own country so freakin much...

At least You can see those graphics... I was waiting whole day for my CE only to find out that i cannot install it... Broken disc 2, for me, and for hundreds, if not thousands here in Poland. If i would have known i would dl the pre-download at work while awaiting courier... D'oh CDPR how could You fork up the premiere in Your own country so freakin much...
Don't you get the gog code? If you do then just download from there? No need for cd

We-elll. The game runs at 30-40 FPS on my twin 290xs at 4K with nearly everything on Ultra, ( I turned down some Grass Foliage or something, because I was told to. I'm very obedient) and looks aaaamazing.

Just amazing. Everything I was told it would be. And more. Helps if you have the hardware to run the game to make it look as good as it did in those trailers.

Oh, turn off Motion Blur, it's kind of terrible. Make sure you're running the Omega WHQL drivers from AMD - work better for me than the GTA V ones did.

I am downloading... 8gb so far, my internet at home sucks...

Sorry, can't quote, prolly cause the dl takes whole bandwidth ;]

We-elll. The game runs at 30-40 FPS on my twin 290xs at 4K with nearly everything on Ultra, ( I turned down some Grass Foliage or something, because I was told to. I'm very obedient) and looks aaaamazing.

Just amazing. Everything I was told it would be. And more. Helps if you have the hardware to run the game to make it look as good as it did in those trailers.

Oh, turn off Motion Blur, it's kind of terrible. Make sure you're running the Omega WHQL drivers from AMD - work better for me than the GTA V ones did.
I agree! Had a screenshot frenzy earlier when dawn came! Spectacular indeed!
Also some really nice touches; wet clothing after swimming, water effects are awesome! Spent a couple of minutes using Aard just too see the water ripple! Lol

I just logged in to say that I'm really disappointed in how CD Projekt handled this.

I respected your company tremendously, but not being honest about how you changed the graphics on this game from early gameplay made me lose that respect. It's not so bad that I'll never play your games anymore, but I probably will never preorder or buy within the first few months of release again.

If you just had been honest about what you were doing I wouldn't have even cared that much.

I believe it's not the graphics that has been toned down but it's the total difference in artstyle that has been implemented. The game looks like a painting on every screenshot that I took and it's bloody gorgeous. I love it compare to the sharped version that was shown on the early footage.

as someone as this flickering textures ? (0:01-3 and 0:41-44) in the video

this is all over my screen and it ruin my gameplay...

[video=youtube;-gSIVNCO4ro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gSIVNCO4ro[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom