Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many amusing comments here. Pro's, con's and well not so bright.
What I don't understand is why haven't CDPR come up with any explanation on this subject?

I'd be considered a milenial (born in `82) but I agree. I grew up with atari, master system, nes etc... my first pc game was wolfenstien 3d. All people seem to care about is graphics that look like the real world. The game is amazing and IMO gameplay and story are way more important.

Hey hey! even people that don't have their priorities straight have a right to complain (I say priorities because, what? if the game would have looked EXACTLY like when they first were showing it off, but the gameplay and story was horrible - what? it would have been ok? yeah priorities are out of wack, but hey i don't judge, i just call it as I see it)

I personally think the game looks great. They did a real good job with bringing the world to life, making the quests intriguing, making the mechanics work well, I can happily overlook at the difference from then till now.

What Plattform are you playing on?

PC & reshade and no hud elements, it looks, feels, and plays great.

It´s simple, they promised and showed something

And you believe all of that? It was never different with games, studiointernaltargetbobshots always looked good and fancy. The crying would be bigger if you would need quadroslinasa computer to run the game with desired graphics.

Last edited:

I do care partially because it was one of the things I ALSO loved about the Witcher series.
What I especially care about is if someone show me a black angus tenderloin steak but instead I got a fried chicken wing. Wouldn't you be disappointed?

Hey hey! even people that don't have their priorities straight have a right to complain (I say priorities because, what? if the game would have looked EXACTLY like when they first were showing it off, but the gameplay and story was horrible - what? it would have been ok? yeah priorities are out of wack, but hey i don't judge, i just call it as I see it)

I personally think the game looks great. They did a real good job with bringing the world to life, making the quests intriguing, making the mechanics work well, I can happily overlook at the difference from then till now.
I didn't mean to imply they didn't. I've always said everyone has a right to their opinion. I didn't intend to make it seem that way.

No. CDPR did a great job with graphics given the limitations of current hardware. Yes the hardware is outdated, but that is hardly CDPR's problem. I think the graphics look really amazing given the density of objects ingame.

I am fully satisfied that the game has a great story, good character development, great mechanics, looks good, it can be better but I'm not disappointed in the slightest. Hopefully some day graphical mods can help you extremists out there max out your graphical experience.

I feel bad for CDPR that the vocal minority has to be the loudest. The satisfied majority doesn't need to come post because they are happy with how the game looks. I myself wasn't going to post anything for or against this issue, but decided to make my opinion vocal right now so CDPR can see that people out there are perfectly ok with how the game's graphical aspect turned out.

CDPR did a great job on the game itself. Well, could have been even more optimized, AI can be embarassing at times, and some other minor stuff.. But the game is great. I can enjoy a great game without blood pools, water reflections, volumetric fog and so on, I am fine. The problem is that they never clearly stated that they were removed, that game is developed first and foremost for consoles, letting people think it was the other way. Would call it miscommunication if it were not clearly intentional.

I believe one can think CDPR has done a great job with the game, love their games and still have his reasons to be (more or less) dissatisfied with them someway. My reasons are their marketing strategies.

I do care partially because it was one of the things I ALSO loved about the Witcher series.
What I especially care about is if someone show me a black angus tenderloin steak but instead I got a fried chicken wing. Wouldn't you be disappointed?

I am disappointed Dude.

---------- Updated at 07:01 PM ----------

PC & reshade and no hud elements, it looks, feels, and plays great.

And you believe all of that? It was never different with games, studiointernaltargetbobshots always looked good and fancy. The crying would be bigger if you would need quadroslinasa computer to run the game with desired graphics.

Maybe you should watch all the false Videos form 2013/14 bevore make statements like that. And i have a PC that can run it. If not, i just buy new stuff. Its very simple.
You are ok with it? Fine, why are you not playing right now than?

Again, to clarify, I think most of us think the game looks great. That's not the issue, the problem is that there are other AAA open world games that looks noticeably better and this game was supposed to be a whole new level of graphical fidelity. GTA V on PC, a rehash of a 2013 game looks better than this game, it's as simple as that, no art styles no anything it just looks better and it's because rockstar put a lot of effort into the PC version and CDPR cleary did not, that's the bottom line!

It's a PC game, there are configurable graphics options. Those who don't care for the special effects can simply turn it off. Even GTA V on PC had a dozen sliders that let you adjust everything from draw distance to vegetation density. TW3 doesn't even let me re-bind movement keys .

Again, to clarify, I think most of us think the game looks great. That's not the issue, the problem is that there are other AAA open world games that looks noticeably better and this game was supposed to be a whole new level of graphical fidelity. GTA V on PC, a rehash of a 2013 game looks better than this game, it's as simple as that, no art styles no anything it just looks better and it's because rockstar put a lot of effort into the PC version and CDPR cleary did not, that's the bottom line!

Not only that, they made us believe that PC version on ultra would be astounding and NOT downgraded in any way.
And being the PC centered devs they used to be, we believed them.

Ok, I can understang having to remove volumetric clouds OR reduce particles OR take away reflections OR take away some tesselation, for the sake of performance.
But they took away Lots of features and watered down textures while making us believe they didn't, very, very dirty move.

Oh, and lighting wich was awesome, it's now bland.

Last edited:
All you have to do is look at the textures of the foliage, the lack of tesselation on the ground and trees and the lack of graphics options. This game was built for a console, optimized for a console and then nvidia gameworks was added on, it's that barebones and simple and it's just sad.

It's no wonder company's treat gamers like nothing more cash cows they can line up for the milking. Look at what E.A did to Dungeon Keeper. Square Enix with Final Fantasy.....

And here CDPR, who pour their heart into something they are legitimately passionate about (And it SHOWS) for us to enjoy... And what happens. 1 thing doesn't turn out as first intended (1 bad thing out of the countless positives which make this game special and unique to all the other souless trash produced out there just to make a buck from you)

And it's fans and buyers can't appreciate that they are on to a good thing enough to put that to 1 side and enjoy the amazing game and cut CDPR some well deserved slack for their years of hard work.

And it's not even like the game looks bad anyway.

And people really need to stop comparing this game to games of much lesser scope.

"Well CRYSIS... Yada yada yada"

Crysis? .... Really!? lol.

And you wonder why most of these companys couldn't give a flying about you and your wants as a gamer?

It's a 2 way street you know. You want certain things, then you're going to have to learn when to compromise and know when to fight and when to let things go

I could go on but I think I've made my point.

Sorry if the post seems inflammatory but I had to vent at the sheer lack of perspective.

Anyway I'm going back to enjoy the game for what it is, and not protest for what it isn't.

Last edited:
First of all, I think The Witcher 3 is a pretty game. I'm constantly stopping to take screenshots. I was hoping this was a thread to discuss the visuals and not the DOWNGRADE.

I'm kinda wishing the grass was a bit.... better. Their vegetation shader just seems to be lacking. Sometimes it doesnt even seem like it fits properly in the world along with everything else on screen looking so much better. Examples of better grass in open world games...

Last edited:
It's no wonder company's treat gamers like nothing more cash cows they can line up for the milking. Look at what E.A did to Dungeon Keeper. Square Enix with Final Fantasy.....

And here CDPR, who pour their heart into something they are legitimately passionate (And it SHOWS) for us to enjoy... And what happens. 1 thing doesn't turn out as first intended (1 bad thing out of the countless positives which make this game special and unique to all the other souless trash out there just there to produced just to make a buck)

And it's fans and buyers can't appreciate that they are on to a good thing enough to put that to 1 side and enjoy the amazing game and cut CDPR some well deserved slack for their years of hard work.

And people really need to stop comparing this game to games of much lesser scope.

And you wonder why most of these companys couldn't give a flying about you and your wants as a gamer?

It's a 2 way street you know. You want certain things, then you're going to have to learn when to compromise and know when fight and when to let things go

Sorry if the post seems inflammatory but I had to vent at the sheer lack of perspective.

Anyway I'm going back to enjoy the game for what it is, and not protest for what it isn't.

So its our Fault the Gamingindustry is lying left and right? And we forced CDPR to show us out of this World Grafics back in 2013? Oke....

Have you people noticed that tw3 art style isn't even trying to be photorealistic, they changed it after 2013 (you know those "alpha footage" labels are there for a reason so people know that anything can change, thing that you seem to have forgotten) for more stylized look. (which I think was a right decision).

So complaining about lack of photorealism is bit weird. World may not be photorealistic but my god is it beautiful, I haven't taken so much screenshots in any other game. Gta style is more photorealistic but at the same time it looks dull, boring and static. World is so dynamic (all those trees in the wind, all peasants with daily routines etc. etc.) that playing anything else after that feels static and fake.

Graphics have changed and I wouldn't want 2013 look back, however 35 min trailer looked already lot like this but better, and not making changes after that is something CDPR lied about and I would have expected more honesty from them. But this is whole different thing that claiming this game looks worse than original crysis. There might be some missing blood effects on water or those infamous corner stones but when it comes to big picture I don't think any game comes even close to visual output this game offers.

Holy crap people take a chill pill. You think this game doesn't look good???????? Try going back to 1979 and playing pong, and then tell me this game doesn't look good!!!! I'm a old time gamer that could only dream of a game looking this good back when I first got into gaming. Gamers my age appreciate games today wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than any of you younger gamers. All you care about is the Graphics

So true.
I remember when top of the line graphics was this, and you had to pay per play. Good times :p

This was the second most exciting thing I could do as a student...

Last edited:

And here CDPR, who pour their heart into something they are legitimately passionate about (And it SHOWS) for us to enjoy... And what happens. 1 thing doesn't turn out as first intended (1 bad thing out of the countless positives which make this game special and unique to all the other souless trash produced out there just to make a buck from you)

It's a 2 way street you know. You want certain things, then you're going to have to learn when to compromise and know when to fight and when to let things go

Hey man, I love the game and I'm sure most other people love it too. I think the game looks great, it is not ugly by any stretch of the imagination, we just expected it to be on par with the likes of GTA V, Assassin's Creed and Dragon Age. Most probably expected it to look better. The foilage and tesselation just doesn't look very good and this is something that's been in PC games for years now. We wanted them to put time and effort in producing higher quality assets for the PC version, I think it's evident that they didn't and just plastered Nvidia Hairworks on top of a game with console settings. There is virtually no difference between low and ultra on a couple of settings. The game is basically one size fits all, that only changes when you add hairworks or you don't.

Look, I applaug CDPR for making this game and respect the hell out of them and all that, but you have to admit they didn't put a lot of effort into the PC version. It's unfortunate, but you know it's true.

---------- Updated at 08:49 PM ----------

Have you people noticed that tw3 art style isn't even trying to be photorealistic, they changed it after 2013 (you know those "alpha footage" labels are there for a reason so people know that anything can change, thing that you seem to have forgotten) for more stylized look. (which I think was a right decision).

So complaining about lack of photorealism is bit weird. World may not be photorealistic but my god is it beautiful, I haven't taken so much screenshots in any other game. Gta style is more photorealistic but at the same time it looks dull, boring and static. World is so dynamic (all those trees in the wind, all peasants with daily routines etc. etc.) that playing anything else after that feels static and fake.

Graphics have changed and I wouldn't want 2013 look back, however 35 min trailer looked already lot like this but better, and not making changes after that is something CDPR lied about and I would have expected more honesty from them. But this is whole different thing that claiming this game looks worse than original crysis. There might be some missing blood effects on water or those infamous corner stones but when it comes to big picture I don't think any game comes even close to visual output this game offers.

GTA V is anything but a static world as you put it, the reason people keep using it as a comparison is because it is so vast, it isn't as big as the Witcher 3, but it does have almost as much going on. I think the main reason people are upset is things that clearly could be fixed (Foilage, Tesselation, Particle and Fog effects) are not and it's because they didn't put the time in. Even if they are performance heavy we as PC gamers want the option, otherwise what's the point, let's all buy PS4 and play the exact same experience.

Screenshots, and opinions aside, just take a look at the graphic settings menu, does it look like an expansive PC settings menu to you? There isn't even an option for MSAA.

Last edited:
Look, I applaug CDPR for making this game and respect the hell out of them and all that, but you have to admit they didn't put a lot of effort into the PC version. It's unfortunate, but you know it's true.

I think (hope) they did put a lot of work in to the PC version but had to turn a lot of it off at the last minute.
Even with 2014 lighting and tessellation etc missing the graphics are an achievement, the world they've built is an achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom