Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the mechanics of that atmospheric fog that was dropped from the final build.
Is that just volumetric fog? Or is it something more/less complex.
I want it back and I'm wondering if its a big expectation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g
"Aerial perspective fog".
Judging by the recent damage control instead of an apology and a road map for future updates I'd wager it won't make a come-back. They don't care about PC gamers like they used to and instead of Enhanced Editions they'll probably just make paid expansions.

Last edited:
So.. This will be my absolute Final post in this forum so i will try to be as brief as i possibly can. i am extreamely tired of this game,this developer and today's gaming world in general and i just wan't all this to finally end, and never look back again. Ever... but i think i really should come here once more, to say my last words about this matter, and close once and for all this sad chapter of my life as a gamer as i said i would have done back in december if all my fears would have become truth, as they eventually have.

after the 6 months exile i have endured for beeing amongst the first people to discover and warn other users about this disgusting route Cdpr has taken with this saga (many would say in an "uncivil Manner" i'm told,accusation to which i will not even reply in this post ), and since the game is out and completley destroyed, probably way beyond repair even from modders under the technical department ,i am also sure this post, like the many i have seen from rightfoully outraged people in this very thread before me will be 100% usless. i Don't care, i will still tell you what i think about this, AND you people behind this.

what i will not do is giving you another chance to dismiss what i say and i already said in the past as a couple of uncivil rants and insults, even if quite frankly this would be strictly the condensation of what i feel twards you in this very moment,and probably will feel for a long time. Insted i will simply tell you a couple of facts, and than log out ,i hope for good this time.

1) given your "buisness decisions" regarding this game, and surely all your future games, i will never, ever,purchase anything from you as a company nor i will support you in any way beyond this game EVEN if you eventually fix it on a matter of principle alone.
2) i inform you that regardelss of your disgusting course of action i have not deleted my pre orders,of both of my copies, i have done almost a year ago, based on the trust i, at the time had in you. You can keep my money, the very last you will see from me, since i hear that's your today's pripority. yet i will let you know that i will simply not dignify this console port abomination of having the space required on my hard drive. this "game" you have done,like this, is not what i bought. what i bought does not exist and most likely never will,so take the money i gave you as a donation and good luck for all your future projects.

i really do hope you enjoy your new found wealth CDPR given by your "broader audience" even if the price for that was forgetting who you are, were you started, and thanks to who exactly you made it this far.

just remember on thing Red in the years to come. there is but one thing money cannot buy. that thing is respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHn6tDG1Vfc

I loled. Can you say it again with something more dramatic ? Maybe you should talk about suicide for being just a little bit more funny :) And the video !!!! You killed me dure.... Let's try IRL :

OWH GOSH MY SHOES ARE MADE IN CHINA !!! I'M GONNA KILL MYSELF !!!!!

Last edited:
I said this PC arrogance needs to stop.

Actualy, its not "PC arrogance" dont understand everything wrong
Its Devs throwing on PC, crap console port without even spend a decent time to correctly adapt essential things like K&M control / UI / Option / optimization.. etc etc.

And personaly i'am really tired of thoses devs throwing their game on PC like someone throwing a penny with disdain to a beggar without caring. And actualy its what many devs make me feel when i see how they port their game on PC. ( except rock star that made a except GTA 5 PC version )

So sorry, but even if i'am very happy to see somes games coming on PC, i dont see why i should "respect" devs that dont even respect their PC players ( and worse when the said company started their "life" and build their name with PC games.... )
Because sure console = money grab, so suuuuree they spend 90% of their time on thoses consoles version ( and its ok ) but nop i'am not going to pleases thoses kinds of devs with thanks. When they SELL ME at full price a baddly made PC version.

Also, As i said somewhere else here. The issue with CDPR & TW3 is that since 2013 thoses guys build easyly 80%++ of their communication around THE GAME GRAPHIC; They have build 80%++ of their com around how outstanding the game look.
so OFC they are going to be bashed for LYING.

Let me take an easy exemple. Let say i tell you i'am going to cook you a dinner like one of the best cook in the world will do. I show you picture or awesome looking dinner.. etc.
You finaly come to eat.. and i give you some random fast food, food. What are you going to say ?
Happy ? i dont thing so.

Personaly, if CPDR have been honest since the begning about their game graphic, and showed since the begning what we have now, i would have been totaly ok ! But NO they LIED like ubisoft did with watch dogs ( and certainly do with the division )

And also, more than the global graphic look its their optimization. its very bad. Somes PC game like MGS V ground zeroes are the console version, but just a very few graphic improovement. BUT it run flawless ( solid 60fps+ on max setting with my old computer ( old i7 940 and gtx 670 )
Personaly, i'am totaly ok with that !
But in this case
1- the visual downgrade is pretty dirty
2-Its the console version with nearly invisible improovement
3- the optimization for a console version on PC is pretty much inacceptable.

Now, tell me again that PC gamers are arrogant

People need to understand that The Witcher 3 is open-world and The Witcher 2 isn't. That's a huge deal and makes a huge difference.

With the closed-off and sometimes almost claustrophobic areas of TW2, the devs could easily "hack" their way towards beautiful graphics. There is a lot of "faking" going on in The Witcher 2, meaning they pull of all kinds of little tricks to make it look like there is a lot going on graphics-wise but there really isn't. Due to the limited nature of TW2 environments it's really much easier to make the game look pretty without being too demanding for your hardware.

In an open-world game your computer has to load entire "cells" which is going to be a lot more taxing on your hardware. It's the downside of the open-world approach.

Still, I think TW3 looks better than TW2 most of the time, especially when it comes to the characters, textures and animations. The weather effects are also a lot better in TW3. I really love how the grass and trees sway in the wind and how everything becomes visibly wet when it starts raining. I saw a thunderstorm in TW3 during my last play session. It was honestly the most beautiful thing I've seen in a game. It was really impressive and atmospheric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g
"Aerial perspective fog".
Judging by the recent damage control instead of an apology and a road map for future updates I'd wager it won't make a come-back. They don't care about PC gamers like they used to and instead of Enhanced Editions they'll probably just make paid expansions.

Frustrating.
Nvidia bling.
AMD based consoles

I read a lot of the effects were global so really would bring quad titans to their knees.
CDPR Dev team (not really) said:
You want draw distance? Well the ground hugging fog you see as a one pixel line on the horizon is being perfectly rendered as physical particles. Its taking quite a lot of GPU power, infact more than geralts hair
Optimise the LOD.
Umm we're swamped getting the near field effects to run on the given hardware spec.
Oh. um. well better turn it off then.
and theres a few more things that are causing problems
oh really
Hairworks? thats gotta be working
Just about, we'll sort that after release, people can turn it off it its broken.

I'm surprised Nvidia didn't throw buckets of money at this to use it as a showcase for their tech.
For anyone who really wants to get militant about the difference between 2014 and release should try petition NVidia to throw some orens at CDPR to get a dedicated crew to make the game "the way its meant to be played"

I feel sorry for anyone here who's not able to enjoy this masterpiece because of some foliage or faces not looking like it was shown months ago. I truly do.
But hey, whatever floats your boat, going back to this outstanding well-written game while you people can keep on complaining on pointless little things.

@luc0s: You are right saying that comparing TW2 and TW3 is pointless given that TW2 is not an open-world and therefore, it's way easier to make it so the game looks beautiful graphically.
But monkeys require patience in order to be taught, you're gonna have to get a shitload of it if you want to continue doing so.

So.. This will be my absolute Final post in this forum so i will try to be as brief as i possibly can. i am extreamely tired of this game,this developer and today's gaming world in general and i just wan't all this to finally end, and never look back again. Ever... but i think i really should come here once more, to say my last words about this matter, and close once and for all this sad chapter of my life as a gamer as i said i would have done back in december if all my fears would have become truth, as they eventually have.

after the 6 months exile i have endured for beeing amongst the first people to discover and warn other users about this disgusting route Cdpr has taken with this saga (many would say in an "uncivil Manner" i'm told,accusation to which i will not even reply in this post ), and since the game is out and completley destroyed, probably way beyond repair even from modders under the technical department ,i am also sure this post, like the many i have seen from rightfoully outraged people in this very thread before me will be 100% usless. i Don't care, i will still tell you what i think about this, AND you people behind this.

what i will not do is giving you another chance to dismiss what i say and i already said in the past as a couple of uncivil rants and insults, even if quite frankly this would be strictly the condensation of what i feel twards you in this very moment,and probably will feel for a long time. Insted i will simply tell you a couple of facts, and than log out ,i hope for good this time.

1) given your "buisness decisions" regarding this game, and surely all your future games, i will never, ever,purchase anything from you as a company nor i will support you in any way beyond this game EVEN if you eventually fix it on a matter of principle alone.
2) i inform you that regardelss of your disgusting course of action i have not deleted my pre orders,of both of my copies, i have done almost a year ago, based on the trust i, at the time had in you. You can keep my money, the very last you will see from me, since i hear that's your today's pripority. yet i will let you know that i will simply not dignify this console port abomination of having the space required on my hard drive. this "game" you have done,like this, is not what i bought. what i bought does not exist and most likely never will,so take the money i gave you as a donation and good luck for all your future projects.

i really do hope you enjoy your new found wealth CDPR given by your "broader audience" even if the price for that was forgetting who you are, were you started, and thanks to who exactly you made it this far.

just remember on thing Red in the years to come. there is but one thing money cannot buy. that thing is respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHn6tDG1Vfc

100% Agreed, and the end was just perfect hahaha, so true.

@wooots - You pretty much answered your own question / frustration with the game .... Let's say I show you a picture of the dinner that i'm going to cook you .. 10/10 times there will be a difference between the picture and what is actually on the plate. Don't be stupid now - the game looks awesome in it's own right - You have to understand that the game has come along way since 2013 - Would you rather have a gorgeous game that you probably can't play because the current hardware can't handle it? Or a downgraded game that you can enjoy? This is decisions dev's have to make on a daily basis. Do you honestly think they did this on purpose? For all we know the map size would have been 1/10 of what it is now so back in 2013 they thought the graphics was do-able. I promise you that your current hardware would not be able to run the graphics that was shown in 2013 - Hell even Titan X sli setups are having trouble truly maxing the downgraded game at 4k. You talk about respect but you show nothing - Why don't you create a game for us because by the sound of it you know so much more about game creation than what the whole CDPR does.

we are talking about respect? ok, so CD PROJEKT should add all they have removed for the PC versions, for respect of ALL pc gamer
This post is really ironic because CDPR has been saying, for YEARS, that they do owe us. Even just a couple of months ago one of the heads of the company said it when discussing the free DLC. Their stance has always been something like, "you guys just bought our game, we owe you" when talking about patches, DLCs, and delivering good games in general. The downgrade business goes against that entire stance they've held and bragged about for about 8 years now. The reason most of us are fans were because of those down-to-earth words of theirs that were morally respectable.

People need to understand that The Witcher 3 is open-world and The Witcher 2 isn't. That's a huge deal and makes a huge difference.
Do you guys forget that TW2 had multiple environments with a time of day system and different weather effects? It isn't THAT much different from TW3 and saying how the rain is so impressive in TW3 makes me wonder if you even played the second game, the rain was fantastic in Flotsam. I would argue it's better than any of the weather effects in this game.

However, I know TW3 is much more advanced and varied but hat has very little to do with the downgrades that happened. Most of the things that were removed simply add onto the game that already exists, just like how ENB adds onto Skyrim or GTAIV or how the Bloom setting makes the sunset that much more striking. They removed textures and post-processing like lens flares and fog, the water was made worse, character models were downgraded, and lots of other things like that. It's not like, well, I honestly don't even know what you think people are complaining about heh.

Here are the sources.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/32644-Obvious-Downgrade?p=1525774&viewfull=1#post1525774
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30086-The-Witcher-3-Modding?p=1662536&viewfull=1#post1662536
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9rlkCOk9E
and they DEFINITELY deceived us because they've been saying for years that our game would look better than any trailer we've seen and nothing would be downgraded, instead our game looks worse than the 2014 gameplay video that was running real-time. The game was downgraded immensely and CPDR lied about it period, even the tech demos they showed off were lies. Another thing that they may have lied about are the 5,000 open-able doors in Novigrad, I've opened a lot but that number seems far too high. Regardless the interiors are very lacking but that's just a nitpick ^^.

But yeah even the recent Eurogamer article was misleading, it was little more than damage control just like something Ubisoft would publish to further brainwash fanboys. It's a shame CDPR has acting like this, many of us were played like fools for trusting them.
thanks, i am not denying that the game has been dowgraded. However, the downgrade was quite visible even long before release, something that cdpr didnt intend to hide unlike ubisoft did with watchdog.Also, I dont feel betrayed in anyway since I already knew what I was spending my money on. The game still looks great and i am not disappointed. But I understand your rage, I was equally pissed about the release of rome 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZvv1vR1ZHM

But yeah even the recent Eurogamer article was misleading, it was little more than damage control just like something Ubisoft would publish to further brainwash fanboys. It's a shame CDPR has acting like this, many of us were played like fools for trusting them.

Felt like a bad hidden camera show. Sometimes i wonder how stupid we are in their eyes. I almost turned my anger into hope. Well, my own fault i quess. This Industry is dominated by false Informations and missleading.

something that cdpr didnt intend to hide unlike ubisoft did with watchdog.]
See, that's wrong because they certainly did hide it by saying "wait until release" over and over and ensuring us the game would look exactly as it did, Ubisoft showed downgraded gameplay long before the game came out as well. The difference between scenarios is that CDPR used the consumer trust in their favour which is worse than the Watch_Dogs thing which was just a typical E3 trailer(unlike TW3's footage), doubly so if we can't unlock the graphics. What they did wasn't even good business from my point of view, lying the way they did probably didn't net them that many more PC sales because this downgrade drama has been going on for almost a year now and this will surely bite them in the ass for their next game.

Felt like a bad hidden camera show. Sometimes i wonder how stupid we are in their eyes. I almost turned my anger into hope. Well, my own fault i quess. This Industry is dominated by false Informations and missleading.
I think most people are pretty stupid. You can see people all over the internet defending it by citing that article when it's blatantly contradictory and ignorant of the old gameplay footage that had nothing to do with the trailers from 2013. Most people really don't care about games enough to know better.

In any case I'm eager to see how well the game sold after these shady tactics, I'll be tickled if the sales aren't as high as they were aiming :^)

As the proud owner of a mediocre laptop, I'm not mad at the graphical downgrade, as I am used to playing games on lower settings. I'm only upset that the game is way too demanding for the graphic quality that it delivers. Normally, with graphics like these I should easily be able to run it on high settings on 30-60fps (like Mass Effect 3 for example), but I can't. Can't even surpass 15 fps on the lowest possible settings which makes my game virtually unplayable.

Hopefully by the time I get back home to my sweet gaming rig there will be some good graphics mods. Imo, only the lighting effects, foliage quality need some improvement, and color palette needs to be a little darker to give it the proper atmosphere.

Knowning CDPR, I'm absolutely sure they will make it up to us gamers because they are an amazing company.

Mass Effect 3

Comparing that with the witcher3 open world is a joke. You guys should understand what a massive performance hit you have to manage with such a open world game, i only know of one game that does it and thats arma.
Real Open world is not easy todo, dont come with gta5 where the simulation stops working afrer a few meters or skyrim with mass autogeneratet faky stuff.

Intrsting would be to know what the engine actually would be capable of in terms of tris count in a scene.

Last edited:
Actually ME3 is kind of an open world game in its own right.
Arrogance aside, there's no denying the requirements of this game are ridiculously high for the quality. I don't care if there's 1 billion objects on the screen at the same time. Far Cry 4 is also an open world game which looks fine but has much lower requirements.

Anyone else really like the NegativeMipMapBias introduced in patch v.1.04 for the PC? It sharpens textures. I now have Sharpening set to Off and the game still looks beautifully sharp and next gen. The MipMap change has a slight adverse effect on performance but it's worth it. Two sections in Nvidia's guide are updated because of this: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...-tweaking-guide#mipmap-bias-config-file-tweak http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...guide#the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-texture-quality The first link explains what the change is and includes comparison pictures. The second link shows the performance impact.

Last edited:
Anyone else really like the NegativeMipMapBias introduced in patch v.1.04 for the PC? It sharpens textures. I now have Sharpening set to Off and the game still looks beautifully sharp and next gen. The MipMap change has a slight adverse effect on performance but it's worth it. Two sections in Nvidia's guide are updated because of this: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...-tweaking-guide#mipmap-bias-config-file-tweak http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...guide#the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-texture-quality The first link explains what the change is and includes comparison pictures. The second link shows the performance impact.

Thanks for the link. The screenshots nvidia had weren't that spectacular at showing the difference.. but it doesn't look good as the lumasharpen in sweetfx im my eyes. It being forced on and merged in the higher texture settings vs console peasants in disguise as pc players who refuse to play around with any setting apart from ultra will not help with the tear rivers.

The old sharpening setting, the new sharpening setting, and sweetfx's sharpening all come with very noticeable performance drops. But you need it otherwise you're playing a monstrous lovechild between a watercolor painting and world of warcraft. Its a must unfortunately..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom