Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
These people never learn :sigh: The game is amazing, an also the best games in history have BAD graphics, there are other thing that make them great. Just go and play the game and make yourself a favor: stop complain about this, you are very irritating...

Yes but those games were made ages ago, I still play KoTOR , Metal Gear Solid 3 and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 .

If those games were remade in 2015 , I'll be so happy .

Meantime this game can still look even better.

Eeeh, the game hates me. I capped it by Dxtory, uploaded by IMgur, looks like shit. The pics above do it a better justice.

Basicaly the main change is higher resolution of the grass cluster assets, so they don't stand out so much, they're not so blurry anymore. You can see the blades of the grass now, much sharper, the look is more like the first screens presented.

Stumbled upon this myself yesterday. There is a screenshots folder yet when you hit PrintScreen no files appear in it. It turned out they appeared in Bin\x64 folder for some reason.

they do have that is why you have pc version and console version of the game.
Yes they do. But the differences between the two are rarely significant, different control scheme, maybe some better textures ... maybe. Most games are made with a consoles limitations in mind and PC users get essentially a port of a console game.

I gotta say, if these vids are authentic, then this is a gigantic blunder on their part, hopefully, they release a 700mb-1gb patch as this would surly fix that blunder..If not, well...I don't like that prospect as it will get very loud here, and with good reason.

However, CDPR=EA, I have to strongly disagree on that note...Remember the Oblivion launch crisis, where they nixed the dynamic shadows? Well, after that we got Skyrim, at least 12 miles better than Oblivion's debacle...Other than the graphics mishap, I really love this game so far.

Yes they do. But the differences between the two are rarely significant, different control scheme, maybe some better textures ... maybe. Most games are made with a consoles limitations in mind and PC users get essentially a port of a console game.
Unfortunately that is so true.

I gotta say, if these vids are authentic, then this is a gigantic blunder on their part, hopefully, they release a 700mb-1gb patch as this would surly fix that blunder..If not, well...I don't like that prospect as it will get very loud here, and with good reason.

However, CDPR=EA, I have to strongly disagree on that note...Remember the Oblivion launch crisis, where they nixed the dynamic shadows? Well, after that we got Skyrim, at least 12 miles better than Oblivion's debacle...Other than the graphics mishap, I really love this game so far.

Well, to their credit, CDPR did publicly and honestly confirm we are playing a console game.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...he-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

That honest is strongly appreciated, but the really need to stop saying stuff like we feel bad about it.. they must have been feeling bad every single day for 3 entire years.. plenty of time to do something so they could "feel good" about what they were going to release. They did this knowingly. Imagine spending millions to make the witcher 3 and not know you're making a console game.

As long as everything is in alignment i have no problem. CDPR sold out. They even sold to microsoft at the expense of the physical collectors that their most committed fans get. There is no chosen one cdpr left, until we have what old pre cdpr-ea would have made at least.

Well, my biggest issue with the graphics is the inconstant lighting. Look at the lighting in conversation mode, and outside it, it's night and day with regards to lighting quality. Then there are light sources, some torches, candles, braziers etc. cause shadows and self-shadowing, many more don't. It's very bad when you're in an old ruin, light up a brazier and there's not a shadow to be seen.

Well, my biggest issue with the graphics is the inconstant lighting. Look at the lighting in conversation mode, and outside it, it's night and day with regards to lighting quality. Then there are light sources, some torches, candles, braziers etc. cause shadows and self-shadowing, many more don't. It's very bad when you're in an old ruin, light up a brazier and there's not a shadow to be seen.
you're not alone, even a french reviewer pointed out the very same problems you mentionned.

Lets not make any personal accusations in this thread . Its a sure way to get this thread to shutdown.
This thread needs to survive so CD Projekt red knows that people still deeply desire the Visuals of VGX / Sword Of Destiny.

Wouldn't dream of it, my accusations were made to a particularly entitled post that was in another thread when I responded to it (but that has since been moved here).
As for this thread, I suspect CDPR are well aware that some players are looking for improved graphics, something I would support if it would not otherwise compromise gameplay. Yet as the original 2013 shared 'look' of the graphics were not able to be realised after two further years of development, it seems unlikely that it can easily be whipped together in a patch post-launch.

Wouldn't dream of it, my accusations were made to a particularly entitled post that was in another thread when I responded to it (but that has since been moved here).
As for this thread, I suspect CDPR are well aware that some players are looking for improved graphics, something I would support if it would not otherwise compromise gameplay. Yet as the original 2013 shared 'look' of the graphics were not able to be realised after two further years of development, it seems unlikely that it can easily be whipped together in a patch post-launch.
true. with patches and a bit of tweaking from the devs, we could get the quality featured in the E3 demo (2014) or the SoD trailer. it may be somewhat challenging to do it right away, especially with all technical bugs that were reported lately. i think if they keep patching it at the rate they're doing, i think it's possible that within the 3 months, we may get those visual improvements, as well as performance boosts AND a better UI & KB/M support.

I'm 'surprised' (not really) more reviewers didn't mention it, the lighting issues stick out like a sore thumb.
indeed. that was the most flagrant detail i noticed in the recent videos that were released, especially when the weather cloudy/rainy, or in some interiors.

Why every comment ; thread and video on YouTube when someone is talking about graphics people say the same thing? "W3 is amazing play the dam thing and stop whining".... Well is not like that.

Cd projekt didn't sell only videogames ; millions of dollars where invested in new rigs and graphics cards only for this game

Some folks around here knew this " downgrade months ago but official employers denied any kind of false statement "

The last response of Cd projekt is a big lie. They didn't explain nothing about 35 minutes gameplay: Huge features where Cut down without even a good reason. Facial animations too. Thanks I'm not the only one here Who think the same .

For me with all due respect: this is damage control and one big parity marketing. SOD and the last gameplay uses the same rendering engine. We need a patch and everyone will be okay.

How many threads ; how many hundreds of videos on YouTube are needed to spread this message to the developers. He'll even pages like kotaku are talking about the downgrade. 300.000 people from Spain where asking a response and millions of other people not just from Europe/ America are worried about this whole situation

The game is truelly amazing But please no matter if you are a fanboy of this franchise. Let Pc gamers spread their feelings and mature arguments about this whole situation

Last edited:
I didn't forget a thing. I replayed TW2 recently right before playing TW3. The rain in Flotsam doesn't even compare to the thunderstorm I saw in TW3.

And saying the environments in TW2 are almost the same as TW3 is laughable at best. The most open area in TW2 that came the closest to TW3's areas was Aedern and if you compare Aedern to White Orchid, well, White Orchid is way bigger, it looks better, it looks more interesting and it has more details and more stuff going on.

TW3 also has better lighting, though admittedly TW3 looks at its worst during a clear midday, it definitely lacks atmosphere then, but to be honest, real-life looks boring and not that atmospheric during a clear midday too, so I suppose it's actually quite realistic.

The water in TW3 also looks quite amazing as it is, I don't get why anyone would complain about that. It's perhaps the best water I've seen in any game so far.

But what really makes TW3 shine and much more beautiful than TW2 is all the little details that brings the game to life, details that TW2 didn't have, such as a big variety of weather effects, including very impressive thunderstorms with lighting that looks most amazing during the night, windy days that make all the foliage and trees move and shake realistically and rain that looks better than the rain in TW2. Or details such as Geralt's beard growing back after he shaved, or all the little blood vessels that show up on his face after taking a bunch of potions, it's stuff like this that makes me smile from ear to ear when I play TW3 and discover these tiny details.

As for the downgrade: I seriously think people should stop complaining about it. The game looks amazing as it is and I doubt anyone could have ran the "original version" of TW3, unless you're running two GTX 980's in SLI or something. I personally run the game on a GTX 970 and I actually had to turn off Nvidia Hairworks and set the shadows and foilage to 'high' to make the game run at a solid constant 60FPS (everything else on 'ultra'). I'm happy with the game as it is.

And finally, if you think stuff like ENBs aren't taxing on your system then you seriously have never played Skyrim with a good-looking ENB.

PS: Overused bloom is ugly as hell, I'm happy TW3 doesn't go crazy with the bloom.

Mate I think you're in the wrong thread, this is just apologetic. I mean for starters it's an objective fact the water was massively downgraded and it looks worse than games a decade old. Refer to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V962NMUXp6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g
And then I can't see how you figure the rain overlay/shader is better than TW2 when it's clearly less detailed. It's nice for the environment but TW2's is still very good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J8mr8fWTDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8LUa_YeRMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtjvL5YfvT0
Then speaking of storms they did a rather poor job, I don't mean to bash their work but what you're saying just doesn't sit right with me. The lightning is simply a poor texture effect on the sky box and it doesn't produce light(therefore shadows) like many other games do. It's incredibly unrealistic. The game doesn't even get much darker during the rain.

Rain aside, in those videos you can clearly see a level of fidelity is missing from TW3, TW2 feels much heavier if that makes any sense. TW3 feels very much like a console game rather than the it appeared to feel back in 2014 where it also had a very heavy feeling -- as if it were covered in cool graphics. As for the environments I said TW3 is bigger and better but I just didn't want you to downplay TW2's because they are still good. If you compare high resolution bullshots of both games you'll find TW2's to be much more interesting to look at because there's just more graphics in them.

Graphics are obviously subjective but performance doesn't justify downgrading them, this is a PC game remember. You failed to address most of my second paragraph talking about the downgrades too. Also I've made and used amazing ENBs that have barely any performance hit, consider avoiding popular ones lol, in any case I wasn't talking about performance at all I wanted to discuss the downgrade.

That's just your opinion.

I think GTA 5 doesn't look all that impressive at all. It looks good, but it clearly isn't "next-gen". You can see it's created for the older gen consoles, even the PC version looks worse because of it.

Not like TW3, which is truly "next-gen" and created for this console generation, resulting in a better looking game, also on PC.

But that's just my opinion.

Again with an extremely apologetic posts. The textures in both games are great, the bokeh depth of field in GTAV is more advanced, the thunderstorms are objectively better as lighting creates light and subsequently shadows over extraordinary distances and the forks look realistic, the water is far more advanced, the grass is significantly better looking, and even the trees look better(though they don't move as nicely for sure). I think TW3 looks better overall because of the general art style(I dig fantasy) but GTAV is a far more advanced game graphically. TW3 is basic in comparison.

Some videos to show you what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgx_t6t7EaI (larger, more realistic trees)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i63NKuhLlcg (whitecaps and other fantastic water effects)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ0z4eFGqt4 (storm lighting)

Last edited:
[parody] Hitler reacts to the "downgrade" of TW3

hitler is back ! and he's not happy :hrhr:

probably one of the best parody videos i watched with hitler (who would've thought he was part of the glorious PC gaming master race), it's very well written and absolutely HILAROUS, and that ending XDDD

disclaimer: i made this thread for laughter purposes and spread hilarity and happiness across the forum, NOT to insult CDPR or start a flamewar. thank you very much.

Last edited:
Look it comes down to this simple thing - The Witcher 3 uses a different game engine as GTA V - It is like bashing Pillars Of Eternity for not having dynamic weather. I just get so frustrated with people not being able to think logically - If The Witcher used the same game engine as GTA V and they still didn't implement many of the features then sure bash away - but let us compare apples with apples. Does GtA V have better lightning yes , does Witcher 3 look less cartoony than GTA V - Yes .... so now what? I think gamers tend to think the whole gaming community owes them something - Bashing developers who spent countless hours is fruitless and uncalled for - I think the Storms in Witcher 3 looks incredible ... Here is a vid that i captured myself last night - no mods or sweetfx installed ..... If this looks crap to you then I would love to know what games do you play that looks better and what hardware you use .... Witcher 3 is byfar the best looking RPG to date. ...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC6L6RSSEQ8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom