Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
it does because it's not development staff or administrators. it's just a moderator forum person. Yet the videos don't lie themselves the small print tells you exactly what it reflexs, they can't put false information in the advertised videos. On forums they can say anything. So it doesn't count as evidence.

Marcin Momot is CD Projekt Red's community spokesperson, so his answers are as good as a developer's. Are you suggesting he pulled them out of his asshole? Also, what small print are you referencing that excuses the visual discrepancy? I certainly have not seen it...

Last edited:
Some more info that's not confirmed as fact (though cdpr's official comments to eurogamer have the same implications)

http://whatifgaming.com/developer-i...-from-2013-list-of-all-features-taken-out-why

Its an interesting perspective on why they did it.. A plea of desparation.. we have to downgrade because consoles!!

1. Hopefully noone is in denial about the downgrade anymore. The PR statements saying there wasn't was absolutely and certainly lies. No denying it.
2. Its at the same time not healthy for us as players to dwell on this. In game its a positive.

:sigh:

Its not a downgrade when it didn't work on consoles.
The PC version was not downgraded, it was never released
There is a console version and its most likely that was ported back to PC.

don't feel lied to. CDPR had bad PR advice.

:sigh:

Its not a downgrade when it didn't work on consoles.
The PC version was not downgraded, it was never released
There is a console version and its most likely that was ported back to PC.

don't feel lied to. CDPR had bad PR advice.

If you show your customers a video and tell them it will be representative of the final product then do not deliver on it, THAT is a downgrade.

It is also a lie. We should feel lied to, because we were.

To say that it couldn't be downgraded because it wasn't released yet is complete nonsense. Don't let them piss on your leg and tell you it's raining.

Some more info that's not confirmed as fact (though cdpr's official comments to eurogamer have the same implications)

http://whatifgaming.com/developer-i...-from-2013-list-of-all-features-taken-out-why

Its an interesting perspective on why they did it.. A plea of desparation.. we have to downgrade because consoles!!

1. Hopefully noone is in denial about the downgrade anymore. The PR statements saying there wasn't was absolutely and certainly lies. No denying it.
2. Its at the same time not healthy for us as players to dwell on this. In game its a positive.

Is there a point , will getting angry fix anything?

I'm not here to say people can't feel or do what they want , well except for stuff that will get you banned from this forum like threatening devs etc.

But really , at this point the best we can hope for is a graphical update patch and the Redkit to release sooner.

Chill. Dont want to get this thread locked.
I cancelled my preorder and am waiting to pay and play the game once there is definitive evidence of what the final PC graphics are going to be. (I will get only one play through so I want it to be perfect)
I've already voiced my opinion on the whole thing so look at my profile posts if you want.

The cut scene renderer is interesting. That could be a way for them to patch in graphics updates if [tinfoil hat] the consoles are actively holding back the PC version[/tinfoil hat]
They can tell the SONY/MS that its just for cut scenes but with a simple ini edit it could be unleashed on the whole game, all the time.

I just lurk here waiting for news either way.

Hello, is anybody have 1.000 Times Better Sweetfx profile BUT in v1.3 version? I'm really need this mod in this version. (or in 1.2 but 1.3 would be better).

Hello, is anybody have 1.000 Times Better Sweetfx profile BUT in v1.3 version? I'm really need this mod in this version. (or in 1.2 but 1.3 would be better).

Ahh just took a look sorry i don't. I used that preset as a basis for mine.. but also since then mine has changed very significantly... will be impossible to undo.

Everyone i've been following on the sfx.thelaxy page has been updating their presets over the last week, v 1.3 was nice in screenshots, but as soon as you weren't looking at nice shadows turned into a muddy mess. His v1.4 i though was crap. I havent tried any of his 2+ versions, but the screenshots he uploaded on nexusmod at least look quite good, i like where he took it (for a witcher 2 refined kinda look).

I just fixed the shadows again on my preset.. just trying to get the colors right. Due to the just how the foliage textures come (possibly because of the console downgrade) you must desaturate them, probably more than youd like.. there's a fine line where just a bit too much color completely makes it unrealistic.. like a cartoon. It sucks.. i've added back some color to my preset, and i like it.. but there are still some scenes were i go 'no cartoon'... End of story.

WIP preset to tweak some lighting
*trying to keep games color palete with some small tweaks
*clik on image for bigger picture

Interior, (plates, witchers hair and baron are not glowing so much):
Vanilla

SFX

Novigrad, (goods on the left are not glowing so much; some color tweaks):
Vanilla

SFX

Bog, (overal more dark tone):
Vanilla

SFX

Random, (color tweaks)
Vanilla

SFX

Last edited:
I won't deny conversation mode definitely ups the quality of several things, but that is 100% without a doubt NOT global illumination. It's just different lighting. Directional light is maybe a smidge brighter. The bloom is way higher. The fog is higher. The depth of field is higher. It appears the IBL shaders use a more even lighting probe or some additional fill lights have been turned on. I've noticed the fill lights turn on and off between the game and dialogue personally. The fill lights are there to assure that dialogue is well lit no matter the time of day or weather. But these fill lights are not GI.

Anyway, the one thing definitely not present in any of those images is global illumination. Global illumination is bounced lighting. I can spot bounced lighting a mile away, and even tell you if it's more than one bounce. I think maybe you are mistaking Image Based Lighting for GI. This game definitely uses IBL, and not just in cutscenes. The game calls them "environment probes" as evidenced in the INI values ForceInstantEnvProbeUpdate
and EnvProbeLightsMaxDistance. I am guessing that the game has a fairly sparse grid of these probes which essentially shoot a spherical map of the area in order to convolute a diffuse IBL. This does give you a general feeling of GI, but it's not even remotely close.

Also, if those images are yours, in the captions you say the game is currently not using dynamic lighting. I think you're confounding two ideas. Dynamic = changes. The lighting in this game changes, as in it's not static (baked). Global illumination is also not necessarily dynamic. Global illumination can be baked. In fact there are entire companies build around baking GI.

Thank you for your feedback.

However i'm making a video with probably better explanation, maybe then we can see together which kind of lighting system was involved during in game transition. :)
You will see some color bledding on floor corresponding to the right building at different light condition, and some indirect light bounce from direct sun light occurring during "global illumination" transition. I'm not familiar with IBL technique :)
ps; my english is not very good, sorry[h=3][/h]

How i can turn ON this test version of Global Illumination, tell me please, guys!

oh god please no misinformation, ther's most likely no GI in W3 , and ther's no test version, its just that the lighting in cut scene look slightly better and when it transition from cut scenes to normal gameplay you can see the " better lighting " for a second or two before it fade to normal lighting , thats it, ther's no way to use it at the moment

Last edited:
oh god please no misinformation, ther's most likely no GI in W3 , and ther's no test version, its just that the lighting in cut scene look slightly better and when it transition from cut scenes to normal gameplay you can see the " better lighting " for a second or two before it fade to normal lighting , thats it, ther's no way to use it at the moment
i see. well the lightning during cut-scenes does seem less flat.

---------- Updated at 01:01 PM ----------

so the new patch log is out:

Hi everyone,

As you know we don't stop working to keep bringing you new updates - I just wanted to give you a heads-up of what to expect in the upcoming patch. The list below is a part of the change log for the 1.04/1.05. There will be a lot more fixes on the way - here's the breakdown of the most requested changes:

Geralt will not longer interact with candles near chests and other interactive elements.
General stability and performance improvements
Significantly Enlarged GUI and HUD elements (including fonts) on consoles and slightly on PC.
Improved camera smoothness
Performance improvements during some cutscenes.
Fixed case where game was crashing on loading a save in certain situations
Various bug fixes and user experience improvements in GUI panels.
Fixed issue where some players were unable to run after Wandering in the Dark quest
Fixed issue where players were unable to talk to Eight after the Lord of Undvik quest
Too many wild hunt minions were spawned during Ciri's Story: Fleeing the Bog quest.
Fixed issue where Keira could sometimes fall under terrain during Wandering in the Dark quest
Fixed issue where Player was unable to move freely during Blindingly Obvious quest
Fixed issue where Player was unable to activate portal during Wandering in the Dark quest
Fixed issue where Player could get trapped in Turseach castle ruins
Fixed issue where Roche was not present at Hanged Man's tree during Eye for an Eye quest
Fixed issue where Player was unable to talk or interact with certain NPCs
Fixed issue where Sirens in quest Lord of Undvik could be invulnerable.
Fixed issue where player was unable to use certain actions after Carnal Sins quest
Fixed issue where Geralt was sometimes unable to mount Roach
Fixed issue where some players where experiencing infinite loading screen during King's Gambit quest.
Fixed issue where Simun was not properly spawned in An Unpaid Debt quest
Fixed issue where player might have had a progression break after choosing certain dialogue option when talking to Dijkstra in Count Reuven's Treasure quest

The Pyres of Novigrad quest is of course going to be fixed as well as the XP glitch.
oh boy, performance improvements during gameplay and during cut scenes. i hope by improoving performance, they mean actual improvements and not just lowering LOD.
since they mentionned the cut-scenes, does that mean they'll cut the "improoved lightning" ?
if so, then perhaps by comparing the game .ini and .xml files before and after the update we'd get to extract more useful information ?

You will see some color bledding on floor corresponding to the right building at different light condition, and some indirect light bounce from direct sun light occurring during "global illumination" transition. I'm not familiar with IBL technique :)
The color bleeding is simply the increased bloom. It does NOT bounce upwards onto other objects in the scene.

This is what GI would look like (very approximate, painted in Photoshop):

No GI
Faked GI

And in actuality, the non-cutscene image has more "indirect light" in the form of the blue tinge from the sky. This is usually called a skylight. You can see the skylight here:

This skylighting is probably part of their IBL probe system.

If you want to try to understand IBL, think of a grid of mirror balls that perfectly reflect the environment. These are called "probes". They take a snapshot of the lighting in the area. If you take it at high resolution and don't blur it, it can be used for reflections. If you take a lower resolution and blur it a lot (called convolution) you're left with the general colors from the reflection.

Here are some links to help you understand:

Wolfire Games (the uniform ambient vs IBL and the blurred cubemap image)

Ambient Cubemaps (UE4)

Ambient Cubemap Off

Ambient Cubemap On

You can see by the way it lights up the undersides of the trees that it's very much like GI. But it's not.

CryEngine Environment Probes

Black Ambient (No IBL)

IBL

----

Anyway, I can assure you there is no GI in The Witcher 3, or at least your images do not demonstrate GI. They have a dynamic IBL system and that is it. Just think of IBL as a super approximate GI. IBL gets the general lighting of an area and applies that to all the surfaces. GI actually bounces lighting between surfaces.

So it goes like this: Uniform Ambient > Directional Ambient (one color per XYZ direction) > IBL > Dynamic IBL (using probes) > GI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umd6HqVUKRI&feature=youtu.be
We just need to figure out how exactly use cut-scene lightning in-game.

thats what we are trying to figure out, thats my video btw :D

@jonwd7

hey jon since you seems to be very knowledgeable about lighting, can you tell us if this is GI in this video ? ( or at least a lower form of it, since its seem to eat a crapload or resources )

[video=youtube;gdinzNN93-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdinzNN93-M[/video]

and about my finding for the weather/lighting settings, novigrad and the swamp zone share the same weather settings, some settings on the swamp zone look really good, but they will reduce the view distance in novigrad because of the fog, maybe i could try to disable the fog, anyways its complicated

The color bleeding is simply the increased bloom. It does NOT bounce upwards onto other objects in the scene.

This is what GI would look like (very approximate, painted in Photoshop):

No GI
Faked GI

And in actuality, the non-cutscene image has more "indirect light" in the form of the blue tinge from the sky. This is usually called a skylight. You can see the skylight here:

This skylighting is probably part of their IBL probe system.

If you want to try to understand IBL, think of a grid of mirror balls that perfectly reflect the environment. These are called "probes". They take a snapshot of the lighting in the area. If you take it at high resolution and don't blur it, it can be used for reflections. If you take a lower resolution and blur it a lot (called convolution) you're left with the general colors from the reflection.

Here are some links to help you understand:

Wolfire Games (the uniform ambient vs IBL and the blurred cubemap image)

Ambient Cubemaps (UE4)

Ambient Cubemap Off

Ambient Cubemap On

You can see by the way it lights up the undersides of the trees that it's very much like GI. But it's not.

CryEngine Environment Probes

Black Ambient (No IBL)

IBL

----

Anyway, I can assure you there is no GI in The Witcher 3, or at least your images do not demonstrate GI. They have a dynamic IBL system and that is it. Just think of IBL as a super approximate GI. IBL gets the general lighting of an area and applies that to all the surfaces. GI actually bounces lighting between surfaces.

So it goes like this: Uniform Ambient > Directional Ambient (one color per XYZ direction) > IBL > Dynamic IBL (using probes) > GI

thanks for the detailled explication ! that was truly interresting.
also, don't be affraid of using super complicated stuff, especially if it's engineering related ^^

---------- Updated at 03:01 PM ----------

thats what we are trying to figure out, thats my video btw :D

@jonwd7

hey jon since you seems to be very knowledgeable about lighting, can you tell us if this is GI in this video ? ( or at least a lower form of it, since its seem to eat a crapload or resources )

[video=youtube;gdinzNN93-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdinzNN93-M[/video]

and about my finding for the weather/lighting settings, novigrad and the swamp zone share the same weather settings, some settings on the swamp zone look really good, but they will reduce the view distance in novigrad because of the fog, maybe i could try to disable the fog, anyways its complicated

hmm very interresting. i bet you could also find controls for the wind strength, and rain precipitation rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom