Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exactly!

---------- Updated at 01:10 AM ----------

How do you guys make these shots with the camera panning?

http://abload.de/img/witcher3_2015_05_30_14huf6.png

Also to those of you playing without the HUD, isn't it too uncomfortable, not seeing where you're going or do you still use Fast Travel and minimap?

Buddy, check the post above you.

I've tried virtually all ini tweaks, that were hidden in the game's binary
Well that really sucks. I've been creeping your post history hoping you'd find something :(

I really hope CDPR opens their game up more or fixes it themselves but I doubt they will. The only thing I'm hopeful for are texture mods, someone could at least attempt to fix up the LOD textures and maybe the grass during certain lighting conditions.

Well that really sucks. I've been creeping your post history hoping you'd find something :(

I really hope CDPR opens their game up more or fixes it themselves but I doubt they will. The only thing I'm hopeful for are texture mods, someone could at least attempt to fix up the LOD textures and maybe the grass during certain lighting conditions.

What sucks even more is that CDPR spearheaded graphic innovations from their very first game and this time it was supposed to be no different but they've opted a faster paycheck. And the whole downgrade acknowledgement (sorta, they still said they don't consider it a downgrade, yeah right) that came after the game's release is really cheap.

I mean when I watch that 35-gameplay footage I get fricking tears in my eyes.

Gone to listen to NIИ's "And all that could've been" and "A Warm Place" :(

Last edited:
Re global illumination, well its certainly considered. Without global illumination, any in game object that did not have an uninterrupted line of sight to a light source (candles torches braziers) would be completely black. You have direct light sources or global illumination, there is no other way to "see" in computer graphics.

The method in which global illumination is implemented however is varies greatly depending on the rendering. In the super expensive photorealistic ray tracing, its expensive and each pixel on an object takes many many projections to determine the color. If your program doesn't care about -simulating- correct light however, this is often done with a constant value for "how much", and a possible color value to add to the objects color.

Re the witchers global illumination.. i'm not sure what they're doing, but while testing sweetfx settings its completely inconsistent. I have a feeling its a fixed scale of how bright and color addition that moves with time of day.. which is fine but whatever they've chosen is completely mental. The lights under clouds and in the rain are all over the shop.. the shadows are too dark, and indoors its completely off its rocker.. npc's are lit by light sources, but also by some random unseen hole based on the outside light also.. its really weird you have naturally lit wood but npcs looking like fluro lamps relative to everything else.. the lighting is just odd. When i've observed it a bit more i'm tempted to make a suggestion they totally rework it.. as its mental to create sweetfx profiles.. because its inconsistent you can't get it right easily.. fix one scene and another is completely busted.

They've made the game to look good as a world of warcraft parody instead of something more accurate.. of course this is cdpr's choice but.. well.. i'll get over it.

---------- Updated at 03:02 AM ----------

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/the-witcher-3-gtx-780ti-could-push-35-45-fps-at-max.html

Umm. Not sure I caught this when it was first published.

I googled for like 2 minutes and gametech is a Russian site with just a lot of people quoting it,

Is there validity to that 780ti claim?

Graphics implications...

hope

Stuff like this makes me mad. Here's a console and the door.

The problem with alot of these sites is they don't care about getting a good setting, they just mash high/ultra without a second thought. That's console peasant behavior honestly. If you change the settings you can get great fps. on my 780ti i'm playing at 2560x1600..

---------- Updated at 03:06 AM ----------

@jonwd7
As someone who has played the game I do agree with him that it is underwhelming. A lot of the time the game looks outright bad to me, specifically during the rain or at night/dusk running through woods. Grass in those conditions(as well as some others) looks no different than it looks in games that are very old and that, to me and probably others, really detracts from the visuals of the otherwise amazingly crafted world.

Careful if you're using sweetfx. While making mine, i've come across combinations of settings for the the brightness/darkness and sharpening which completely screws up the grass in particular.. while tweaking a few times.. i got to settings were i like the colors, but it screwed up the textures and i had to lose the battle to world of warcraft witcher. I couldn't use them because looking at the ground was like day 1 ps3.

The inverse of this is sweetfx can hide this also. Vanilla did this via the watercolors.. so yeah.

---------- Updated at 03:12 AM ----------

The developers truly did craft the game to look a specific way and I feel that now more than ever if you change it too much the whole intended look falls apart. The game will now simply look like it has an overlay on it -- a sepia as an example, one adjustment people make is to increase the contrast and that drives me up the wall since it seems to smear texture detail on bright surfaces and make the darks get too dark.

Nice ideals.. but personally.. the reason why i'm even hanging around this thread would have made me completely ragequit and not get very in the game at all.

I do appreciate everyone has an artistic vision, i do with my preset absolutely.. but the vanilla one was.. theres probably some art theory that explains this.. but with the witcher 2.. i didn't bother looking up sweetfx. It worked. Witcher 3 the overall graphics package was appalling, or at least.. bad enough something needed to be done.

---------- Updated at 03:14 AM ----------

Does the light of the sun at the zenith looks orange where you live?

Its winter in the southern hemisphere at the moment, and from trying to use the sun as a compass.. its not exactly overhead.. it feels like a winter sun (though my sweetfx may be doing that also..)

---------- Updated at 03:18 AM ----------

Let's just be honest here.

The Witcher 2 was a masterpiece for its time, graphically.

Was.... still is. Load it up and compare it to the witcher 3.

Sure one is an open world and another is very small maps, but if we're just talking graphics here.... I don't want to say it.

---------- Updated at 03:23 AM ----------

Maybe the ones you play. Most of the games I've played in the past few years only support "AA on/off" FXAA, TXAA, supersampling, or nothing at all. MSAA has been deprecated by many devs since it costs so much to use in modern engines. TW2 and 3 for instance doesn't support it.

Lol, maybe i'm old now.. but it reminds me of a few cute phases in hardware accelleration... the first one was where SHADOWS was a supported feature, but in practice too slow on current hardware. Then came antialiasing.. also for years to expensive vs running a game at the native res of your monitor. Seems AA has popped into possible also.. given what it is and my background.. screw the expensive ones.. i just go for the edge bases techniques.. FXAA on nvidia and i think theres a new one, MFAA or something?

Last edited:
Re the witchers global illumination.. i'm not sure what they're doing, but while testing sweetfx settings its completely inconsistent. I have a feeling its a fixed scale of how bright and color addition that moves with time of day.. which is fine but whatever they've chosen is completely mental. The lights under clouds and in the rain are all over the shop.. the shadows are too dark, and indoors its completely off its rocker.. npc's are lit by light sources, but also by some random unseen hole based on the outside light also.. its really weird you have naturally lit wood but npcs looking like fluro lamps relative to everything else.. the lighting is just odd. When i've observed it a bit more i'm tempted to make a suggestion they totally rework it.. as its mental to create sweetfx profiles.. because its inconsistent you can't get it right easily.. fix one scene and another is completely busted.

They've made the game to look good as a world of warcraft parody instead of something more accurate.. of course this is cdpr's choice but.. well.. i'll get over it.

Nice ideals.. but personally.. the reason why i'm even hanging around this thread would have made me completely ragequit and not get very in the game at all.

I do appreciate everyone has an artistic vision, i do with my preset absolutely.. but the vanilla one was.. theres probably some art theory that explains this.. but with the witcher 2.. i didn't bother looking up sweetfx. It worked.

No don't get over it. In fact anybody that feels that CDPR pulled a switcheroo on us shouldn't get over it but instead be vocal about and maybe they'll fix at least some of the issues.

P.S. I thought Witcher 2 also suffered from bright and vivid colors. The original Witcher is the benchmark for me in terms of color, it felt real, was immersive. Witcher 2 with some dumb armors, freaking hood in the prologue and that god-awful colors screamed fake to me. And I played them back to back so the memories of the first game were fresh.

---------- Updated at 03:35 PM ----------

Jsut watched 35 min clip again and noticed one peculiar effect that I can't seem to recall appearing in the retail version, namely, light reflecting off Geralt's sword when he sheathes it. A minute detail yet very nice touch.

As for ENB the author for now is working on GTA V and it is not known if he will ever start to work on W3. Directx 11 is much less malleable than DX9, and so everytime he has to work with a DX11 title it takes time.

Upon asking Boris about it he replied:

"No, modern games rarely worth so much time required to modify them and graphics is ok in them. Witcher 3 is very buggy game and when it will be patched 100 times somewhere in 2016, nobody will need the mod."
"I said my words about Witcher 3 many times, it is not worth modding, because it buggy like hell and i'm not robot to develop mods again and again for every game patch. Nobody loading mods for "old" games, f.e. my updates to Deus Ex 3 do not increase download rate, so i don't bother doing anything non-pop. This is bad, i know, but it's reality"

I would love an ENB profile for Witcher 3. The visuals could be soo much more! It frustrates me.

Upon asking Boris about it he replied:

"No, modern games rarely worth so much time required to modify them and graphics is ok in them. Witcher 3 is very buggy game and when it will be patched 100 times somewhere in 2016, nobody will need the mod."
"I said my words about Witcher 3 many times, it is not worth modding, because it buggy like hell and i'm not robot to develop mods again and again for every game patch. Nobody loading mods for "old" games, f.e. my updates to Deus Ex 3 do not increase download rate, so i don't bother doing anything non-pop. This is bad, i know, but it's reality"

I would love an ENB profile for Witcher 3. The visuals could be soo much more! It frustrates me.

1) Boris is probably not a fan of the Witcher series. He's spot on about them patching the game to working conditions in 2016 and that most of the people will not care that much about either the improved graphics or the game itself.

2) His stance is completely justified because he's not the one who's supposed to make it work since he gets nothing from doing so, no monetary reward.
CDPR on the other hand are the ones who are prefectly capable of restoring the game to its original glory plus that's what we've payed them for when we purchased the game, don't you agree?

Last edited:
You're getting up in a tissy over this? This is such a minute color change you can hardly even see it.

Typical comment...
Many SweetFX users:
"Lemme desatureate that image to beyond or else is to similar to main game color palette"
"Lemme oversaturate that image to beyond or else is to similar to main game color palette"
"Lemme tweak brightness so dark is completely dark, (yeah sure, "real life" talk bla bla bla)"
"Lemme tweak that sharpening to beyond because why not; sharp image is aweasome"

Last edited:
Can everyone just please MAKE A SFX PRESETS THREAD!?

Instead of spamming this thread full with presets and pictures.

This thread is about the DOWNGRADE and hopeful UPGRADE.
this thread is about graphics, which includes graphical tools like sweetfx and reshade as well:halt:

vesemas228;1735742? said:
Its winter in the southern hemisphere at the moment, and from trying to use the sun as a compass.. its not exactly overhead.. it feels like a winter sun (though my sweetfx may be doing that also..)

Your sweetFX preset doesn't have the orange filter of the vanilla game. That was all the point of my example. I know your preset and the orange lightning of the sun is gone there.

I wish they would change the water. Kinda looks like vanilla Skyrim water, also water reflections are just horrible.

Hopefully Boris doesnt take too long for GTA V ENB development, he told me he cant do anything about WItcher 3 right now anyways because of all the patches. Probably will take him about half a year to get started working on Witcher.

her's what ive learned so far :

- lighting/bloom/fog distance settings are stored in .env files, every region has one

- you can swap/load any *.env you want pretty much

- now i can add/remove any weather effect, i did remove the snow from the weather preset i used in my previous video

- i can remove the very flat summer clear weather from every region and replace it with a more vibrant one ( will post a video later )

- you can literally remove every weather that has " blue sky " and for example replace it with blizzard everywhere, or very cloudy to get a " colder feel " overall

- the weather presets also control lighting to some extent not just weather effects

- i found a .env file named " cutscen_definition_global.env " wich i loaded, and well ... it does have a lot of bloom and slightly better lighting, but the view distance is very very short and hidden with the blue fog, maybe its not the right one

P.S. I thought Witcher 2 also suffered from bright and vivid colors. The original Witcher is the benchmark for me in terms of color, it felt real, was immersive. Witcher 2 with some dumb armors, freaking hood in the prologue and that god-awful colors screamed fake to me. And I played them back to back so the memories of the first game were fresh.

Yeah, also for me W2 was too colorful, but at last there it still made sense because the textures (especially on the grass/trees/etc.) were not so bland and so the colorful look still somewhat worked. It was not my cup of tea but I could still stand it. With W3 I simply couldn't. Btw I also agree on W1 palette that was surely the most realistic of the three; but I can also understand CDPR here: the fact is that many of modern gamers like a lot colors, they always want to see colors everywhere or they aren't happy it seems. Maybe it's a subconscious reaction to the quality of life that is a bit harsh nowadays ;)

---------- Updated at 08:32 AM ----------

- lighting/bloom/fog distance settings are stored in .env files, every region has one

- now i can add/remove any weather effect, i did remove the snow from the weather preset i used in my previous video

- i can remove the very flat summer clear weather from every region and replace it with a more vibrant one ( will post a video later )

- you can literally remove every weather that has " blue sky " and for example replace it with blizzard everywhere, or very cloudy to get a " colder feel " overall

- the weather presets also control lighting to some extent not just weather effects

- i found a .env file named " cutscen_definition_global.env " wich i loaded, and well ... it does have a lot of bloom and slightly better lighting, but the view distance is very very short and hidden with the blue fog, maybe its not the right one

Interesting. How many different env files there are? I suppose if there was a way to create one from scratch we could tailor the lightning specifically to preference and part of the problems will be resolved.

you're a saint sir ! a SAINT !
in the name of the glorious pc gaming master race, i thank you (yes i had to make it grand cause you deserve it)

As I said in a previous post, I don't personally like E3FX at all. It simply adds a lot of blue on the top of the scene in a very "lazy" way. Moreover the author added a lot of other effects (as bloom, DoF, god rays etc.) that don't really work well and drop FPS by a lot (sweetFX has a lot of limitations as far as these type of effects go) and do nothing more than, in the example of bloom, washing out the image even more. IMO if you want a VGX color scheme there are better choices (naturally considering the fact that a VGX look will always be subpar no matter what, given that the default lightning is not made for it).

Interesting. How many different env files there are? I suppose if there was a way to create one from scratch we could tailor the lightning specifically to preference and part of the problems will be resolved.

well ther's a lot of them , and i only extracted the files from the folder Conten0 and Content4 ( novigrad files ), ther's a crapload of other files to extract,, but not every weather settings use them, some dont use them at all, they rather use some kind of cloud illumination ( what mean is that the skybox/clouds settings SEEMS to have influence about how the light/color react )

her's the content of one the .env file, its crypted but you can read between the lines ( not really crypted, just that we dont have the right tool to open it, so thanks CDPR for not crypting anything :D)

also i want to state that what am finding here is partially with the help of KNG and his extreme weather mod, after examining the files he edited i figured out the rest, so thanks to him

also something about the flat blue sky weather ... ther's a very logical reason why its there, if they used better lighting/weather like let say in Skellige right at the start you wouldnt feel " amazed or surprised " by the time you reach that zone, it make sense to keep the best things for the end or at specific moment of the game, they cant crack up everything right at the beginning

just like in music , when you make a song, you cant really start with the guitar solo for example, you keep that for either the end or the middle, thats artistic vision, and CDPR shouldnt be blamed for trying to keep us amazed all along the game

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom