Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell if I know. Check your ini. I'm still level 15..Need..moar...time...
i don't even have the game T_T , and my laptop isn't powerful enough, so yeah. i like modding/tweaking/messing with games. that's why i'm around this forums in the first place ^^
anyways, i hope we'll be able to do whatever the hell we want with gfx settings without restrictions soon.

oh and good luck on your leveling experience ^^

Witcher 3 opzimitation on PC is very bad. Ive got about 30 - 40 frames everything on ultra except hairworks. Guess what: in Crysis 3 Ive also got around 30 frames on ultra, and theres some difference in graphics between these games as far as I can tell.
http://cdn2.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Crysis-3-1.jpg

Thats what I call water, not some weird sauce wobbling around in a "ocean".
Besides, many people with 970s still have trouble running the game, even read about people with a Titan x who cant run it.
Also this game has very poor performance on 4k.

mate , i have no idea about 4k and anyway the gurrent market GPUs are not 4k ready despite the advertising .1440p? yes. 4k ? no

Crysis 3 is not as open world as witcher 3. it is really linear .That is why COD games look really good while open world games look really bad.

Anyway from what i heard , on a technical level this game is said to be great.

About the water , you are mistaken. It is not some wierd sauce. Its blueberry flavoured jello .

The colour was said to be an artistic choice,

Dont have a source , but for comparison GTA V water looks really realistic

Can anyone explain to me the difference in techniques ? (really bored to look it up)

---------- Updated at 04:02 PM ----------

i don't even have the game T_T , and my laptop isn't powerful enough, so yeah. i like modding/tweaking/messing with games. that's why i'm around this forums in the first place ^^
anyways, i hope we'll be able to do whatever the hell we want with gfx settings without restrictions soon.

oh and good luck on your leveling experience ^^

You can techincally 'play' it with your 740m ...just technically

Reminds me of the time was stuck at my grandfathers house with an E5200 and 9500GT( still kicking) playing witcher 2 @ 800x600 and low

I was crying at the texture quality at very low. Still got a reasonable 25- 27 FPS

mate , i have no idea about 4k and anyway the gurrent market GPUs are not 4k ready despite the advertising .1440p? yes. 4k ? no

Crysis 3 is not as open world as witcher 3. it is really linear .That is why COD games look really good while open world games look really bad.

About the water , you are mistaken. It is not some wierd sauce. Its blueberry flavoured jello .

The colour was said to be an artistic choice,

Dont have a source , but for comparison GTA V water looks really realistic

Can anyone explain to me the difference in techniques ? (really bored to look it up)

---------- Updated at 04:02 PM ----------

Reminds me of the time was stuck at my grandfathers house with an E5200 and 9500GT( still kicking) playing witcher 2 @ 800x600 and low

I was crying at the texture quality at very low. Still got a reasonable 25- 27 FPS
i know exactly what you mean, and i don't mind playing a game with super low settings (did it with oblivion on a very weak GPU). i just want to wait to get a good rig in the future, but also for mods to grow in number and complexity.
i mean, we already found so much by tweaking and messing with the games files, like the weather, lighting system and so on. who knows what we will find in the future.
i'm still hoping that one day, we'll reach the SoD level of fidelity in terms of graphics, and i'm going to play it when we are able to acheive that.

Using a 740 m aswell and lost some fps in 1.05 funny enough even with lower fps game become a lot more fluid and responsive for me in this version. Right now i am using 1366x768 . high settings med shadows, Post process on even hbao game is totaly playable(Just noticed issues around 4 corners tavern, Novigrad is fine). And even so getting more fps with low settings dont see any diffrence in combat or general responsiveness so would suggest you guys to try.
PS: Turning hairworks on and running into a group of wolves fun quite fun it was a great slideshow :p
Edit : My 740m is GK208 so yeah worst kind of 740m

Last edited:
i know exactly what you mean, and i don't mind playing a game with super low settings (did it with oblivion on a very weak GPU). i just want to wait to get a good rig in the future, but also for mods to grow in number and complexity.
i mean, we already found so much by tweaking and messing with the games files, like the weather, lighting system and so on. who knows what we will find in the future.
i'm still hoping that one day, we'll reach the SoD level of fidelity in terms of graphics, and i'm going to play it when we are able to acheive that.

Really? Sincerely what we have found? Nothing of concrete. Practically all the relevant settings are hardcoded. Even in the lightning case it works only under certain conditions and for now it works only when you force a weather, and it anyway doesn't work very well in certain areas (as Novigrad).

So no, sadly we haven't advanced far at all. Nor for visuals nor for other things. For example for gameplay every change you make to skills etc. make the game not work properly, so you cannot either alter them to rebalance the combat if you would like.

I really hope in the future something better can be found but for now, sadly, what we can do is really really limited. If CDPR doesn't release the RedKit the only real advancement on visuals can come only from something like ENB, but if and when it will be released for W3 probably all of this will be already fixed by CDPR itself.

Last edited:
Really? Sincerely what we have found? Nothing of concrete. Practically all the relevant settings are hardcoded. Even in the lightning case it works only under certain conditions and for now it works only when you force a weather, and it anyway doesn't work very well in certain areas (as Novigrad).

So no, sadly we haven't advanced far at all. Nor for visuals nor for other things. For example for gameplay every change you make to skills etc. make the game not work properly, so you cannot either alter them to rebalance the combat if you would like.

I really hope in the future something better can be found but for now, sadly, what we can do is really really limited. If CDPR doesn't release the RedKit the only real advancement on visuals can come only from something like ENB, but if and when it will be released for W3 probably all of this will be already fixed by CDPR itself.

ENB maker (boris if i remember) said that due to constant patching and stuff it is gonna be hard to make ENB for it.So no enb in the foreseeable future.Also DX11 does not go along with enb like dx9 did.... you can see that for the delayed GTA V enb

---------- Updated at 04:32 PM ----------

Using a 740 m aswell and lost some fps in 1.05 funny enough even with lower fps game become a lot more fluid and responsive for me in this version. Right now i am using 1366x768 . high settings med shadows, Post process on even hbao game is totaly playable(Just noticed issues around 4 corners tavern, Novigrad is fine). And even so getting more fps with low settings dont see any diffrence in combat or general responsiveness so would suggest you guys to try.
PS: Turning hairworks on and running into a group of wolves fun quite fun it was a great slideshow :p
Edit : My 740m is GK208 so yeah worst kind of 740m

Can you post your settings and frames in the mobile GPU bencharks thread? i need just a few more nvidia gpus to finish the collection

ENB maker (boris if i remember) said that due to constant patching and stuff it is gonna be hard to make ENB for it.So no enb in the foreseeable future.Also DX11 does not go along with enb like dx9 did.... you can see that for the delayed GTA V enb

I know, and just for this I said that if and when it will happen much probably CDPR will have done something about it anyway (who knows, maybe with an Enhanced edition even if they said they would not do it this time, but it can be that with all the clash they have received for the downgrade they have changed their mind about it).

Can you post your settings and frames in the mobile GPU bencharks thread? i need just a few more nvidia gpus to finish the collection
Will do mate just recorded a really short video on fraps waiting for it to upload(My upload speed is crap :) ) I will also do another bencmark and put the fps info aswell just thought gameplay video would give better judgement than just telling the frame rate.

Seeing a framerate drop and loss is image qty after 1.05. Anyone else? Textures dont look crisp

My textures look good still, but also think I have a framerate drop. Have to get FRAPS up, keeps crashing. Anyone get some solid numbers?

My textures look good still, but also think I have a framerate drop. Have to get FRAPS up, keeps crashing. Anyone get some solid numbers?

Probably because you re using Reshade or SweetFX. If you use Reshade you can enable the FPS counter internally, inside common_settings by enabling #define RFX_ShowStatistics.

Probably because you re using Reshade or SweetFX. If you use Reshade you can enable the FPS counter internally, inside common_settings by enabling #define RFX_ShowStatistics.

That's very helpful - having to start FRAPS after was a pain.

Yeah, I Reshade was causing start crashes with FRaps running, but when I started it after, it -also- kept crashing. Odd. Anyway, a restart seems ot have worked.

My Frames are back to about 45 FPS on 4K ultra. They had dropped - the new patch turned Hairworks to ON. Why..who knows. Hairworks is ugly ( TO ME) anyway.

Actually hit 58 FPS on Ultra 4K, but that was indoors and brief.

Now to fix this simmering. Damn mipmap reset doesn't seem to have worked. May have the wrong variable.

I'm back on SweetFX again. May swap out to default. Default looks so good in the rural setting but in sunset or city it's just too bright, almost garish.

FPS

Shit you got me, thought I could trick you into thinking its not blueberry flavouered jello.

Anyways, yea Crysis 3 is pretty much a linear game, it still has some wide-open levels though. And if you compare the graphics of Crysis 3 with all these badass effects like tessellation, PADM, water caustics and so on Witcher 3 just cant stand against it. If I have 30 fps at Ultra Crysis 3 settings, I shouldve something like 50 in Witcher 3. I dont think the open-world scenario makes up for no difference in fps but at the same time much worse graphics.

Oh by the way Fallout 4 is supposed to be coming out this year isnt it?
That means if CDPR doesnt release RedKit before Fallout 4 changes for great mods and ENB are slim. The mod community will go ham on that game, even Fallout 3 is still being modded, they dont need some kind of fancy kit or tool to do these changes.
If CDPR doesnt hurry modding community will be smaller then it could´ve been otherwise. And theres a chance ENB is the only thing that can make these huge changes in graphics because we probably wont have access to the source code. If Fallout 4 is coming out there wont be much of an ENB development though I can tell you that...

Its not like he writes a ENB and the first version blows you away. It takes months to do that.

Oh by the way Fallout 4 is supposed to be coming out this year isnt it?
That means if CDPR doesnt release RedKit before Fallout 4 changes for great mods and ENB are slim. The mod community will go ham on that game, even Fallout 3 is still being modded, they dont need some kind of fancy kit or tool to do these changes.
If CDPR doesnt hurry modding community will be smaller then it could´ve been otherwise. And theres a chance ENB is the only thing that can make these huge changes in graphics because we probably wont have access to the source code. If Fallout 4 is coming out there wont be much of an ENB development though I can tell you that...

Its not like he writes a ENB and the first version blows you away. It takes months to do that.
mods are what made skyrim great. cdpr shouldnt waste this opportunity

Looks great to me:

Shit you got me, thought I could trick you into thinking its not blueberry flavouered jello.

Anyways, yea Crysis 3 is pretty much a linear game, it still has some wide-open levels though. And if you compare the graphics of Crysis 3 with all these badass effects like tessellation, PADM, water caustics and so on Witcher 3 just cant stand against it. If I have 30 fps at Ultra Crysis 3 settings, I shouldve something like 50 in Witcher 3. I dont think the open-world scenario makes up for no difference in fps but at the same time much worse graphics.

regarding optimization in crysis 3 , yeah it is really good. i get 30-40 in ultra/high with 2x smaa

regarding W3 everything is dynamic , nothing is prebaked. From what i have seen through my playthrough ingame AA is inadequate,environmental textures need improvement (some are good , some are bad).More strain is placed on the GPU to render everything in a larger space compared to a dingy corridor in others.The closest an (semi) open world game has come towards corridor games is AC unity.( it uses baked textures , basic GI and what-not)

if they actually implemented the same level of detail as Crysis 3 lvls in witcher , i am pretty sure most cards would not be able to handle it

Heck even a titan x sli was brought sown to its knees playing tweaked witcher 3 in 4k. Mostly 4k would be achievable wit pascal in 2016 / when HBM is released in mid and high tier AMD GPUS instead of the enthusiast class

Anyway , yeah tesselation is lacking in w3 and mild/moderate tess with dx11 and maxwell woud pose little problems/performance downgrade. However i think in the wilderness it wouldnt be that noticeable as it would be in cities

PS- Each time i look at the water , i feel like taking a fork , poking it and devouring the sweet blueberry jello

regarding optimization in crysis 3 , yeah it is really good. i get 30-40 in ultra/high with 2x smaa

regarding W3 everything is dynamic , nothing is prebaked. From what i have seen through my playthrough ingame AA is inadequate,environmental textures need improvement (some are good , some are bad).More strain is placed on the GPU to render everything in a larger space compared to a dingy corridor in others.The closest an (semi) open world game has come towards corridor games is AC unity.( it uses baked textures , basic GI and what-not)

if they actually implemented the same level of detail as Crysis 3 lvls in witcher , i am pretty sure most cards would not be able to handle it

Heck even a titan x sli was brought sown to its knees playing tweaked witcher 3 in 4k. Mostly 4k would be achievable wit pascal in 2016 / when HBM is released in mid and high tier AMD GPUS instead of the enthusiast class

Anyway , yeah tesselation is lacking in w3 and mild/moderate tess with dx11 and maxwell woud pose little problems/performance downgrade. However i think in the wilderness it wouldnt be that noticeable as it would be in cities

PS- Each time i look at the water , i feel like taking a fork , poking it and devouring the sweet blueberry jello

Dont forget though Witcher 3 4k optimization is bad...

Yea most cards wouldnt be able to handle it. But it still wouldve been achievable with some stuff turned down.

Is there actually a chance tesselation will be redone properly by modders, is that a thing people will be able to work on? Im talking tesselation not parallax. Its funny, people wanted tesellation in Skyrim so bad, they just added parallax textures lol. Works out too, looks like theyre tesselated.

And on an other note: does the diminishing returns thing also applies to resolution?

Mods are what made Skyrim great, but if CDPR decides to completely let go of the pc community they will release patches, dlcs and whatnot before releasing the redkit which would be unfortunate. By that time Fallout 4 is gonna be out, which means NO ENB and much LESS MODS.
Dont want that to happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom