Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Witcher 3 graphics debate...same as always.

Impressive stuff some people are achieving with mods though.

Last edited:
So, I finally got to the Ladies of the Wood (Johnny) part, of the Velen swamps(from the E3 gameplay). You can imagine my visual disappointment lol..

The atmosphere is completely non-existent, in comparison to what was shown pre-release. I only wanted to post this, in case the guys at RED might happen to see it. Maybe they'll change their mind?.. (lol).

There's no beating around the bush here. This is a bit of a whiny vent post. But, I literally felt compelled to post the difference, because of the ridiculousness of it.

(comparisons in spoiler tags)

Even with the modified cutscene environment lighting, it's not even close.

Last edited:
ther's something literally broken with lighting in the swamp zone, i cant believe that an art director could have changed his mind this much, it does not make any sense
We often hear from developers excusing downgrades with changes in art direction, but this is both a technical and an artistic downgrade, no question.

I knew the lighting was really just not there, in comparison to the E3 stuff. But it doesn't really smack you in the face, untll you actually take a look at the difference. What were they thinking..

I knew I shouldn't have looked lol. It's heart breaking.

if you go to fyk island you'll see a perfect lighting/foliage that would have fitted perfectly the swamp zone, why wasnt that used ...

This highlights one of my main gripes with this game's graphics - the lighting. The shadows appear way darker than they should. The GIF shadows look a lot more natural to me. The game's lighting looks flat in comparison.

Yes, the shadows are too dark in your screenshot. Its worth getting into sweetfx as i quickly found noone made a profile that i wanted. You can fix those. If you want a colorful profile with better shadows check out blackiris's presets amioran on sfx.thelazy.

Play with exposure, bleach, lift gamma gain. Look at my preset without the cinematic lighting mod installed to see what they can be like.

---------- Updated at 10:04 PM ----------

@Sardukhar I found your new favorite video of all time
[video=youtube;-gyy1-XDG5I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gyy1-XDG5I#t=56[/video]

.... ..... How good are the graphics!! Its just like the other game in terms of color scheme. Spot on at so many levels. Touche.

---------- Updated at 10:10 PM ----------

So, I finally got to the Ladies of the Wood (Johnny) part, of the Velen swamps(from the E3 gameplay). You can imagine my visual disappointment lol..

The atmosphere is completely non-existent, in comparison to what was shown pre-release. I only wanted to post this, in case the guys at RED might happen to see it. Maybe they'll change their mind?.. (lol).

There's no beating around the bush here. This is a bit of a whiny vent post. But, I literally felt compelled to post the difference, because of the ridiculousness of it.

Even with the modified cutscene environment lighting, it's not even close.

Yeah a bit of random luck.. when i first got there, i was playing with my desaturated color settings and it was raining. I also had the music turned ON (its a love hate relationship as i hate the ambience.. looping is perfect but not if the track is shit)... Wow.. i was thinking all sorts of things during that quest chain and it was nothing hateful, complete awesome.

Yeah, rain, desaturation not wow, and music make all the difference for that quest chain.

I really wanted to also upload what it looks like inside the large tower but thats too much spoiler. Also these screens are before the cutscene lighting mod.

Okay.. studying your screenshots.. yes, very reasonable to be very mad if your witcher looks like that.

---------- Updated at 10:25 PM ----------

ther's something literally broken with lighting in the swamp zone, i cant believe that an art director could have changed his mind this much, it does not make any sense

That one puzzles me too. There's not many possibilities and none are positive. Something to do with the downgrades effect on the foliage or they got some external feedback from a little pony partner that the game was too scary for the sensitive and sheltered minds it was suddenly going to be exposed to.

There's no way we would have said this.

There's no other imaginable reason for world of warcraft colors.

Edit: I just found this imgur site... so here's me in fylk isle (also before cutscene lighting). Click a bigger one to see the lighting detail.

Last edited:

That's at different times of the day so obviously the lighting would be different. Try changing it to 3am and see if that makes a difference, I'm sure it will. The sun is fully out so it's hard to compare.

http://i.imgur.com/dJJ7d0i.jpg - I've definitely seen the bog look like this before in the game, perhaps minus some fog, but definitely the same lighting during overcast days or when the sun hasn't fully risen yet. Pretty strawman complaint, tbh.

Last edited:
Damn I personally think they upgraded the swamp so much since 2014.

I remember when people were complaining about how there is so much fog and the lighting suffers.

Now there is a subtle mist, the air is a bit clearer, it looks excellent to me.

Yes, the shadows are too dark in your screenshot. Its worth getting into sweetfx as i quickly found noone made a profile that i wanted. You can fix those. If you want a colorful profile with better shadows check out blackiris's presets amioran on sfx.thelazy.

Play with exposure, bleach, lift gamma gain. Look at my preset without the cinematic lighting mod installed to see what they can be like.

---------- Updated at 10:04 PM ----------

.... ..... How good are the graphics!! Its just like the other game in terms of color scheme. Spot on at so many levels. Touche.

---------- Updated at 10:10 PM ----------

Yeah a bit of random luck.. when i first got there, i was playing with my desaturated color settings and it was raining. I also had the music turned ON (its a love hate relationship as i hate the ambience.. looping is perfect but not if the track is shit)... Wow.. i was thinking all sorts of things during that quest chain and it was nothing hateful, complete awesome.

Yeah, rain, desaturation not wow, and music make all the difference for that quest chain.

I really wanted to also upload what it looks like inside the large tower but thats too much spoiler. Also these screens are before the cutscene lighting mod.

Okay.. studying your screenshots.. yes, very reasonable to be very mad if your witcher looks like that.

---------- Updated at 10:25 PM ----------

That one puzzles me too. There's not many possibilities and none are positive. Something to do with the downgrades effect on the foliage or they got some external feedback from a little pony partner that the game was too scary for the sensitive and sheltered minds it was suddenly going to be exposed to.

There's no way we would have said this.

There's no other imaginable reason for world of warcraft colors.

Edit: I just found this imgur site... so here's me in fylk isle (also before cutscene lighting). Click a bigger one to see the lighting detail.

What armor is that in the last pictures.

Temerian from the dlc. Its available for about 200 per piece from the first vendor guy in white orchard once you've installed it. Great stats and looks.
Lol i've had it installed since release, didn't know where to get it so i just forgot about it completely.

You guys are in trouble i found imgur..

Just some not really thought through screens to prove old vesemas isn't that crazy when emotionally praising the graphics every other day.

These ones are with cutscene lighting. What game are you guys playing? :p

Yeah ll make a point to take a screenshot next time there's good trees or large buildings.

I prefer how everything was in the 35 minute too compared to what we got but it's not that bad.

when using my preset...

Last edited:

when using my preset...

The colors are spot on.. just those shadows...!! :) Nice settings. If you use bleach/exposure/lift gamma to fix them you can definitely adjust the vibrancy and colors to compensate for the extra brightness and any wash from bleach. Its actually not that hard.. because you know already the colors you're going for.. its just a matter of getting back to them... not really starting from scratch even though it sometimes feels like it when the darkness goes away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom