Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@KNGRSM
@essenthy

Ok, guys. THX you for that. Amazing work. Keep going ;) Now, what I thought.

1. About Novigrad footage. It is good that eye adaptasion is back now. It was in e3 demo when Geralt leave bar after talk with Dixtra. It was amazing in Witcher 2 too. But some tweaks need. I mean light is too bright during transition from shadow to light.

2. It seems NPC are not properly lit. I mean this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrj3ok6ZGy4#t=2m02s

3. Can you show us some interior lighting. The bar in 35 min demo would be great.

4. I hope you understand what I mean. My English is not good. ;)

EDIT: Can you guys somehow enable SSR? Or do you need redkit for that?

EDIT 2: And what about swamp lighting? Can you show us?

Last edited:
Sadly the game is almost unplayable with that lightning on. even if you remove the bloom from postprocessing. A real shame because when it works it is fantastic (Novigrad is a a sight to behold, for example). It is good to make some videos/screenshots but until there's not a way to fix the settings it is not really possible to play the game with it (if you still haven't tried the mod yourself then try it and you will understand immediately what I mean).

Luckily we have the cutscene lightning mod that is already much much better than the default lightning. You just have to remove a little of the overdone saturation with a simple injector tweak (as I have done, along another couple of things, as making whites be real white) and it is already all another thing.

Why the hell CDPR decided to go with the lightning we have now is a mystery. They had already very good lightning settings, they just needed to tailor them to work under all circumstance (not overexposed skies, no bright nights, in the specific case of this lightning no violet hue and no clipping etc.)

Last edited:
Sadly the game is almost unplayable with that lightning on. even if you remove the bloom from postprocessing. A real shame because when it works it is fantastic (Novigrad is a a sight to behold, for example). It is good to make some videos/screenshots but until there's not a way to fix the settings it is not really possible to play the game with it (if you still haven't tried the mod yourself then try it and you will understand immediately what I mean).

Luckily we have the cutscene lightning mod that is already much much better than the default lightning. You just have to remove a little of the overdone saturation with a simple injector tweak (as I have done, along another couple of things, as making whites be real white) and it is already all another thing.

Why the hell CDPR decided to go with the lightning we have now is a mystery. They had already very good lightning settings, they just needed to tailor them to work under all circumstance (not overexposed skies, no bright nights, in the specific case of this lightning no violet hue and no clipping etc.)

we know about all the issues this lighting settings has, unfortunately we cant fix it right now , the goal here is to show that we can achieve something very similar to the 35mn demo once we get access to some more settings

and it look better outside novigrad, the sky goes ape shit only there ( and we know why, we theorized about whats happening exactly there ) , anyways if KNG didnt share this, peoples would beg day and night for it, even if you tell them thats it buggy, maybe now they will understand why modders dont always share something that dosnt work properly

Last edited:
we know about all the issues this lighting settings has, unfortunately we cant fix it right now , the goal here is to show that we can achieve something very similar to the 35mn demo once we get access to some more settings

and it look better outside novigrad, the sky goes ape shit only there ( and we know why, we theorized about whats happening exactly there ) , anyways if KNG didnt share this, peoples would beg day and night for it, even if you tell them thats it buggy, maybe now they will understand why modders dont always share something that dosnt work properly

I know, but I'm happy that you shared it also if in this buggy state. It is anyway showing the potential and the possibilities, and it is also showing that something must have happened for CDPR to discard those two options even if they are much better than the default one, if fixed.

Why they did so I cannot really guess, however.

P.S; I can understand why you and KNG released it, but maybe Nexus was not the best place to do so as users there will surely make KNG mad with all the requests to "fix" the "bugs". Here we all know exactly the problematics of the context, in Nexus many are just normal users pretending (yes, pretending, even from an external mod) that all works perfectly. FFS people there complain even if THEY are the cause of problems, can you imagine when it's actually a problem that really exist...

Last edited:
Those were done with my preset https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3742/
and the cinematic lighting mod
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/154/?

- The preset does most of the difference.
- The first time you turn it on if the weather is bland its going to be terribly dull. Keep playing for a few minutes until it starts to look "realistic" (as far as it can).
- After this stage vanilla makes you puke.
- The cinematic lighting mod is a bit extreme in novigrad at least from what i've seen, i replaced the cutscene lighting csv for novigrad with the default lighting one when installing the mod.

Good luck!!

---------- Updated at 06:09 AM ----------

Is the batch file that comes with the nexus download going to pick up all the files? There's a few extra in your fixed set vs what the mod comes with.. Thanks. Also.. so the mod files are being truncated then? Theres no need for some fresh asset file to get replaced before doing this?

EDIT: Nevermind it worked :)

Thanks those feel good. Its hard not to look at the skybox in novigrad on a cloudy day though :(

This is like a freakin generation above vanilla/console version.

:cheers:

However it would be masterpiece if your preset was little bit more "blueish", like this one https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3741/ however this one dosn't seem work so well with Cutscene Lighting

It will be possible to have an HD texture pack?
Some textures, expecially on rocks, bottles, glasses, eleven ruins, are terribly low res.

I know, but I'm happy that you shared it also if in this buggy state. It is anyway showing the potential and the possibilities, and it is also showing that something must have happened for CDPR to discard those two options even if they are much better than the default one, if fixed.

Why they did so I cannot really guess, however.

P.S; I can understand why you and KNG released it, but maybe Nexus was not the best place to do so as users there will surely make KNG mad with all the requests to "fix" the "bugs". Here we all know exactly the problematics of the context, in Nexus many are just normal users pretending (yes, pretending, even from an external mod) that all works perfectly. FFS people there complain even if THEY are the cause of problems, can you imagine when it's actually a problem that really exist...

yeah nexus users are pretty whiny, i didnt release my injection of that env file into a WT btw, KNG does that better than me , just wanted to showcase how novigrad looks good with it

as to why CDPR didnt use this, i dont know, there are many possibilities, design/art decision, consoles lacking powers, who knows, because this do steal some fps , but you can argu that it wasnt made for that area ect ... its an infinite loop of theory without CDPR own words on it

Last edited:

true, although it odes look nice, i am getting midnight suns , over bright nights and stuff

ANyway , it really is good ( very little performance hit) , and good work guys .Hope you can iron out the bugs!

---------- Updated at 05:11 PM ----------

shame , reinstalled the cutscene lighting , and now i miss YALM

yeah nexus users are pretty whiny, i didnt release my injection of that env file into a WT btw, KNG does that better than me , just wanted to showcase how novigrad looks good with it

as to why CDPR didnt use this, i dont know, there are many possibilities, design/art decision, consoles lacking powers, who knows, because this do steal some fps , but you can argu that it wasnt made for that area ect ... its an infinite loop of theory without CDPR own words on it
What about your weather mod (that one from that gif you posted)? It looked so good, does it have more bugs than this new lighting one and that's why you're not sharing?

I don't like the overly dark shadows and the purple sky you get with YALM. Those things aside, it does look very good and I'm so happy you guys are still experimenting with those files!

shame , reinstalled the cutscene lighting , and now i miss YALM

I really suggest you to use the cutscene lightning with a (slight) desaturation and reinhard to create a real white point. If you like Witcher 1 then you will love it as it looks almost exactly the same. If you don't know how to do it then you can find a preset for this already done by me here:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/132/?

Don't mind the other presets, the one you want is the Cutscene Lightning one. And don't worry, it doesn't change minimally the colors of the cutscene lightning, it just adjusts the white point (to remove opaqueness) and removes a little of oversaturation. As I said, the result is impressively similar to what we had in Witcher 1, so I personally love it and I had to do nothing else than adjust a couple of parameters (nothing fancy); the buik is done by the lightning.

I like YALM too, but atm it is too violet and in certain areas the sky is broken. The cutscene lightning is, however, much better than vanilla and with a bit of desaturation and contrast is really really good.

Last edited:
I really suggest you to use the cutscene lightning with a (slight) desaturation and reinhard to create a real white point. If you like Witcher 1 then you will love it as it looks almost exactly the same. If you don't know how to do it then you can find a preset for this already done by me here:

Don't mind the other presets, the one you want is the Cutscene Lightning one. And don't worry, it doesn't change minimally the colors of the cutscene lightning, it just adjusts the white point (to remove opaqueness) and removes a little of oversaturation. As I said, the result is impressively similar to what we had in Witcher 1, so I personally love it and I had to do nothing else than adjust a couple of parameters (nothing fancy); the buik is done by the lightning.

I like YALM too, but atm it is too violet and in certain areas the sky is broken. The cutscene lightning is, however, much better than vanilla and with a bit of desaturation and contrast is really really good.

i am currently checking out a sweet fx profile made by vesemeas228 removing all the perf hitting options

how much hit does your preset cost?any AA? chugging at 30 at high with my 860m

Last edited:
What about your weather mod (that one from that gif you posted)? It looked so good, does it have more bugs than this new lighting one and that's why you're not sharing?

I don't like the overly dark shadows and the purple sky you get with YALM. Those things aside, it does look very good and I'm so happy you guys are still experimenting with those files!

its less buggy but not as beautiful ( less light power, shorter view distance ect ..), if we get redkit pretty sure we will correct everything that look wrong

yo dude, just updated YALM to 0.02, there was some glitch in the install script that wouldn't apply the envBlend value, so it was always at 1.0... I just tested 0.5, that definitely reduced the purple lighting at dawn / dusk. It's definitely a taste thing though, some seem to like, others think it's "too much", I personally like the YALM lighting much more, and I'm just playing with vanilla settings, no sweetFX / ReShade.

i am currently checking out a sweet fx profile made by vesemeas228 removing all the perf hitting options

how much hit does your preset cost?any AA? chugging at 30 at high with my 860m

Nothing. It adds no other effect but just altering the saturation, contrast and white point. It has no impact on FPS as those are all postprocess effects.

---------- Updated at 06:28 PM ----------

yo dude, just updated YALM to 0.02, there was some glitch in the install script that wouldn't apply the envBlend value, so it was always at 1.0... I just tested 0.5, that definitely reduced the purple lighting at dawn / dusk.

Great, thanks!

Last edited:
its less buggy but not as beautiful ( less light power, shorter view distance ect ..), if we get redkit pretty sure we will correct everything that look wrong
But, but... judging by that gif, it looked better and so close to the E3 demo.
You strike me as a perfectionist though and I feel you. :) (That's why I wouldn't mind testing your weather/lighting mods, actually - just saying. lol)

I'm yet to check YALM because it looks like the sky gets brighter than CL and I'm sure I'll miss the occasional reddish sky at dawn/dusk. I like having options, however, and that's what's so great about what you guys are doing. I'll probably use it at least for a while and I'm curious to see how it works with ReShade presets.

---------- Updated at 06:49 PM ----------

Vanilla:

YALM:

The LOD has indeed been greatly improved, congrats on that. Whatever happened to the torches giving off light, though :(

There's one thing that YALM does indisputably better than anything else: the clouds. They move! Damn. It was so great to see the clouds move instead of them looking like a silly cardboard painting.

But, but... judging by that gif, it looked better and so close to the E3 demo.
You strike me as a perfectionist though and I feel you. :) (That's why I wouldn't mind testing your weather/lighting mods, actually - just saying. lol)

I'm yet to check YALM because it looks like the sky gets brighter than CL and I'm sure I'll miss the occasional reddish sky at dawn/dusk. I like having options, however, and that's what's so great about what you guys are doing. I'll probably use it at least for a while and I'm curious to see how it works with ReShade presets.

---------- Updated at 06:49 PM ----------

Vanilla:

YALM:

The LOD has indeed been greatly improved, congrats on that. Whatever happened to the torches giving off light, though :(

Yeah, the light sources like candles, torches, bonfires etc. does indeed to be reduced. but honestly I really like the way the moonlight is reflecting from the tower on the 2nd screenshot. This is unbelievable how can this not be like that in vanilla.

Yeah, the light sources like candles, torches, bonfires etc. does indeed to be reduced. but honestly I really like the way the moonlight is reflecting from the tower on the 2nd screenshot. This is unbelievable how can this not be like that in vanilla.

Yeah, that lightning is fantastic. Actually you can see that the LOD is the same also in vanilla but it is shrouded by that sort of "fog" that also seems to remove completely the capability of the light (in this case the moon) to reflect on distant surfaces (as those two towers).

Bah, I really cannot understand CDPR anymore. Is it possible that they did all of this just for the consoles? Even if that's the case, ffs, could they at last not do things differently for the PC? It's not that it would have taken them ages to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom