Witcher 3 Is using Onboard graphics instead of my GPU

+
Hi,

I think I have the same issue. I am running a Dell G5:

i7 9750h
16Gb Memory
rtx 2060 (6Gb)

I am running the display on Ultra. It runs at about 55-60 FPS though does drop tp 40-45 if lots of NPC on screen.

Looking at Task Manager, my CPU sits at about 30-40% usage and temp 80-90C. my GPU is at 0-1% and 62C.

Playing other games such as X-COM 2 (WOTC)/Horizon Zero Dawn/Nier Automata, I always see my GPU at about 50-70%.

I've set "witcher2.exe" to use the 2060 via the NVidia control panel. I have all of the latest drivers from NVidia and D12.

Just wondered if there is anything I'm missing as when I see bench mark tests done with a G5 with the witcher 3 I see the GPU at about 50-60%.

Hello can somoone help me I was having a performance issues. I happen to have stutterings and lags every 1-2 min and it happens more often on Skellige. This latest drivers makes my witcher 3 unplayable. I cannot play it smoothly. doesn't matter if I play witcher with mods installed or not installed at all it's still give this freaks lags and stutterings. the manufacturer driver's also happen to have stuttering a lot. when the stutterings happens it goes from 30-45 fps to 1-18 fps it happens around 5-7 seconds and then back to 30-45 fps. it keeps happening frequently. any suggestion? I try to find NVIDIA Drivers 372.90 but it's only support GTX 1060+.

here is my specs

GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 3GB VRAM
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3550H Picasso 12nm Technology
RAM : 12GB Dual Channel Unknown ( 17-17-17-39)
Storage : SSD 476GB KINGSTON
Operating System : Windows 10-64 bit

Hello can somoone help me I was having a performance issues. I happen to have stutterings and lags every 1-2 min and it happens more often on Skellige. This latest drivers makes my witcher 3 unplayable. I cannot play it smoothly. doesn't matter if I play witcher with mods installed or not installed at all it's still give this freaks lags and stutterings. the manufacturer driver's also happen to have stuttering a lot. when the stutterings happens it goes from 30-45 fps to 1-18 fps it happens around 5-7 seconds and then back to 30-45 fps. it keeps happening frequently. any suggestion? I try to find NVIDIA Drivers 372.90 but it's only support GTX 1060+.

here is my specs

GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 3GB VRAM
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3550H Picasso 12nm Technology
RAM : 12GB Dual Channel Unknown ( 17-17-17-39)
Storage : SSD 476GB KINGSTON
Operating System : Windows 10-64 bit

But is this really related to the lack of gpu usage (which this thread is about)?

You can also try version v390 for example:

You can also check out some of the existing stuttering threads here, like:

Thanks I'll be sure to check it and see if my problems solved that driver u gave me, is it compatible for notebooks?

Those drivers are not compatible with my notebooks, do u have other links? [edited]
How did manage to find the drivers windows 10-64 bit version, i can't seem to find it in nvidia website. [edited]
Nvm I found it, but I can't seem to get the driver installed in laptops. It says the graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware? any suggestion [edited]

Last edited:
How did manage to find the drivers windows 10-64 bit version, i can't seem to find it in nvidia website. [edited]
Nvm I found it, but I can't seem to get the driver installed in laptops. It says the graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware? any suggestion [edited]

In general, guru3d has a good overview with previous drivers. Anything below v400 should be worth a try. Maybe of the others works better?

If all other drivers are causing this message: there are a lot of articles online dealing with the same error message. If you google the error message you‘ll see a lot of help articles. I don‘t know what works best though....

For reinstalling gpu drivers I would also follow the steps mentioned here:
https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/pc/sp-technical/issue/1003/the-game-is-not-launching-2 (step 1)

Does this compatible with my laptops?
all of the drivers in that link doesn't not compatible with my laptops, its a desktop version [edited]

Last edited:
Well, if you click on the drivers links in the guru archive, you‘ll see that there are usually are download links for notebook drivers too. And the supported gpus are mentioned there too.

Hmmm strange I can't see the notebooks option
It seems that I can't installed the older version no matter how hard I tried, I dont know why? I have installed the correct version tho [edited]

Hmmm strange I can't see the notebooks option
It seems that I can't installed the older version no matter how hard I tried, I dont know why? I have installed the correct version tho [edited]
8D68977D-30D3-4238-AE75-3016EB9A5390.png

You have to scroll down, then you will see the links.

As for installing older drivers, that‘s why I mentioned the CDPR support website link. They recommend using this gpu driver uninstaller to install gpu drivers: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

You can also roll back to older gpu driver version (there‘s a lot of information online on rolling back to older nvidia versions, it‘s easy to find), but only to the ones you already installed at some point.

Anyhow, if none of the infos I mentioned (inclusing the forum link regarding stuttering), you can always reach out to the support team:

The only other thing you can do is closing all nonessential background apps in the Windows Task Manager (including stuff like MSI Afterburner, Fraps, GeForce Experience, Uplay...) and disabling overlay features of programs like Steam or Gog Galaxy. Cloud Safe features can also cause problems sometimes,

Last edited:
Did you install the notebook 64bit version of the driver?

If nothing works, it‘s best to get back to the driver that worked for you before. I don’t know why your notebook is so resistant to other drivers.

Yeah it's okay it's not because of the driver problem. I found the culprit. Turn out it was because of my RAM Frequency is 933Mhz
that's why I got a lot of stuttering. Might need to replace the ram soon.

Please, disable all overclocking while we troubleshoot. After we get it working, you can feel free to try applying it again, but I recommend doing so very sparingly. TW3 doesn't always cooperate well with OC.

1.) Go into the Nvidia Control Panel --> Manage 3D settings --> cllick the Program Settings tab --> select witcher3.exe from the pull-down menu.

2.) In that menu, select CUDA - GPUs. It should say, "Use global setting (All)". Click that and a small sub-menu will appear.

3.) Click the dot next to "Use these GPUs" and check the box next to your GTX 1070.

4.) While there, ensure that Power management mode is set to "Prefer maximum performance".

Let us know how that goes!
Hi guys, I think I may have solved the problem.
The four steps explained by SigilFey are pretty good, but what really solved the problem in my case was enabling hardware accelerated GPU scheduling in the windows settings. Follow the steps:
1) Open NVidia Manager.
2) Tab program settings.
3) Click on the link labeled "Open Windows Graphics Settings".
4) Enable hardware accelerated GPU scheduling.
5) Restart OS.

After that, playing TW3 my GPU (GTX 1050 Mobile) reached almost 100% processing.

Hi guys, I think I may have solved the problem.
The four steps explained by SigilFey are pretty good, but what really solved the problem in my case was enabling hardware accelerated GPU scheduling in the windows settings. Follow the steps:
1) Open NVidia Manager.
2) Tab program settings.
3) Click on the link labeled "Open Windows Graphics Settings".
4) Enable hardware accelerated GPU scheduling.
5) Restart OS.

After that, playing TW3 my GPU (GTX 1050 Mobile) reached almost 100% processing.
Unfortunately this solution didn't work for me(. I still do not use the GPU and CPU ... i have 3 fps regardless of video settings.
I have laptop with 1650, 16gb ram and i7-9750H

You want to avoid this if possible. Bringing any component you own up to 100% is bringing it to its knees. Not good for the component. It's the equivalent of driving a car with the pedal to the metal everywhere you go. It doesn't really achieve much, and it drastically reduces the lifespan of your car.

Ideal situation is getting good performance with plenty of overhead available in case the GPU needs to pull. If your GPU is constantly running under 100%, I'd recommend scaling down the graphics or lowering the resolution. A GPU or CPU should ideally be running somehwere between 30% and 80% capacity, with occasional spikes into the 90% range.

Important however...erm...however:
It should not be an issue to keep the GPU scheduler on. It's quite possible that this is nothing but a "false return" about the GPU actually running constantly at 100%. May simply be Windows interpreting that 100% of the GPU is now being focused, not actually being used.

(If you can confirm that it is actually running constantly at 100% -- fans whirring like the card is about to go airborne, lots of heat, etc. -- I would strongly recommend scaling some graphics options down.)

Top Bottom