Witcher 3 - last game in the Witcher franchise (NO!!!!!)

+
Witcher 3 - last game in the Witcher franchise (NO!!!!!)

From the press release:

Badowski continued, "People may ask if this is really going to be the last Witcher game. Yes, it is. Why? Because we believe that we should end the series on a high note. Technology has progressed to where we can finally tell the story the way we want, with the visuals we want, in the world we imagined. This will be the ultimate fantasy RPG experience, and while we're hardly out of stories to tell, we believe it's time for us to look to new worlds and new horizons to keep pushing the boundaries of what we can create."

-----------------

While I agree with the sentiment and I am sure many CDP devs are sick of Geralt by now (spending a decade with him), this makes me SAD AS HELL.
The world that Sapkowski created has SO MUCH POTENTIAL....
I am looking forward to Witcher 3 (my number 1 game now, with Cyberpunk following) and I am looking forward to whatever new IPs CDP creates. But I hope one day CDP will return to the franchise that they made, and that made them..and give us Witcher 4. Not necessarily starring Geralt, even.

In the news on CD Project Red page, there is stated, that it will be end of the Witcher trilogy (it's logic, isn't it?), but not a farewell to Witcher franchise! I'm sure there will be more Witcher games, but f.e., maybe not with Geralt as main character.

Here's the link, you can translate it in Google Translator or sth like that:

http://www.cdprojektred.com/Press_Room/Aktualnosci,news_id,1822

Though by making it an Open World, they have endless possibilities with the story, they can put a LOT of characters, cities, towns, storylines etc. in the game and of course a LOT of DLC's.

So I think there will be enough content to go around with :)

I'm happy with that. Maybe more of the witcher universe in 10 years from now, but right now I'll be happy they bring the series to a (hopefully amazing) conclusion, and don't milk the franchise.
we got cyberpunk 2077 coming too for crying out loud!

I'm naturally extremely sad to hear that there will be no more Witcher games signed CDPR, after TW3, but at the same time I can't be opposed to it after reading the reasons behind it. I would never berate them for wanting to move on to other franchises and create something else. I'm just glad to hear that there is such a prominent and talented studio out there, that is actually able to make such decisions and nurture their own creativity, rather than being stuck milking a specific brand name year in and year out.

I also agree that it's a good call to go out on top, if they feel they do want to let it go. A nicely wrapped-together trilogy, brilliantly written and executed, is better than one that goes out with a whimper. This is assuming that TW3 turns out just as great as they promise; and I have no reason to doubt that they'll deliver. Lastly, Sapkowski announced that he'd be returning to the franchise, himself, and to me it makes sense if CDPR no longer wants to infringe on the saga. It's true that the game series never was considered canon to begin with, but it's still different when you don't expect the original author to continue with it.

Either way, there's still a couple years left before this is over. TW3 does not arrive until 2014 (no idea how early or late in the year), and there's a big chance that we'll receive an 'Enhanced Edition' a year after that. No need to feel starvation setting in just yet, is all I'm saying.

I don't want DLC if its not free Id much rather they add a full blown expansion that has at least 40 hrs of gamepaly and its own story. maybe and new main character to play. so its not messing up the story that is coming to a end.
I want the witcher games to have closure, not to be regurgitated to the point of most franchises.
there are other fantasy(dark fantasy) books that are good they can base games off of. I feel its better this way the witcher games are some of the best I have played, let them end on a high note.

Pretty much any series or franchise gets milked to death nowadays. While I would be happy to play a Witcher 4 or Witcher 5, I am really, really much happier that CDPR has decided to create something new after TW3. What I like best about CDPR isn't necessarily that they make great games I really enjoy, but rather that they show so much ambition to move the games industry as a whole forward. Their ideas for TW3 show that they are still crazy ambitious, so let it stay that way, go completely over the top with a new series.

They could also use the same world but just use a different character. Make it based on a sorcerer/sorceress, dwarf, elf or whatever. It would be hard to replicate the awesomeness that is Geralt, but it could work. Otherwise you could make a new Witcher trilogy using another Witcher other than Geralt.

I had expected this. While it makes me sad, it is a tribute to the humanity of the character of Witcher Geralt that he be granted closure in the space of a trilogy. And it gives the developers a chance to move on to new and different material.

But if they ever decide to make "Ciri: Elder Blood", they can take my preorder now.

I think going out with a bang makes sense, even as I'm sad that we'll be seeing the last of Geralt. As for those hints that they could make a non-Geralt game in Sapkowski's universe someday, that doesn't really make me happy.

I enjoyed being in Sapkowski's world for a time, but it's really GERALT that I love. So a chance of revisiting the world without him doesn't excite me. I'd still probably buy the game if CDPR made it, but to me, the chance of a future non-Geralt game in Sapkowski's world does not alter the bittersweet nature of the ending of the trilogy.

I always wanted TW3 to be the last installment with Geralt. There's just so much one can do with him.

But I would be sad if this will be the last game set in the Witcher universe.

If they make any more games in the Witcher universe (not based on Geralt), then maybe we can hope for a turn-based, party-based old-school computer role-playing game with walls of text, big story and big choice and consequence, beautifully rendered with RED Engine 3 :p

Agreed. Geralt is a phenomenal stoic character we all love but to make the most of him, he needs to go out with a bang. We'll be missed for sure though

I'm happy for the next installment to be the final. Hope they go out with bang and make the journey epic, close all those story threads, and give it an incredible ending.

Volsung said:
If they make any more games in the Witcher universe (not based on Geralt), then maybe we can hope for a turn-based, party-based old-school computer role-playing game with walls of text, big story and big choice and consequence, beautifully rendered with RED Engine 3 :p/>

haha, I'd pre-order that straight away :)

Volsung said:
If they make any more games in the Witcher universe (not based on Geralt), then maybe we can hope for a turn-based, party-based old-school computer role-playing game with walls of text, big story and big choice and consequence, beautifully rendered with RED Engine 3 ON LINUX ONLY :p

Fixed that for ya :p

/golf clap...................

It is very admirable that you will finish the story and not milk this game until you alienate all of your fanbase. For all of you saying you are angry about it just think about what EA would have done, they would have dumbed it down to reach their FPS audience and slowly but surely milked the game into oblivion until all of the fanbase that made the game succeed was gone. CDPR is doing us a favor by ending it on a high note.

I would rather see this game end at pinnacle of its greatness then keep playing it to see it dissolve and become another Mass Effect.

Thank you CDPR.

Volsung said:
If they make any more games in the Witcher universe (not based on Geralt), then maybe we can hope for a turn-based, party-based old-school computer role-playing game with walls of text, big story and big choice and consequence, beautifully rendered with RED Engine 3 :p/>

LOL.... This is just the most EPIC thing i have heard on these forums. CDPR... MAKE IT HAPPEN.. NOW!

Top Bottom